Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saigyouji posted:

Utsuho, Aya, Nue, Tewi, and Renko.

e: Oh, and Murasa.

I'm not entirely sure Renko counts, though I openly admit I forgot all of those and for some reason never actually realized Tewi had black hair. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Saigyouji posted:

konngara!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Saigyouji posted:

But Utsuho and Renko have brown hair!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Reimu also has brown hair.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Black hair Utsuho is superior :colbert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a cartoon duck posted:

Pop-quiz: Who's that Touhou? Touhou characters become kinda exchangeable once you remove their hats, huh?

Out of context this seems a little racist.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Duck is a well known Touhou-cist. The Anti Fictional Character Racism group has been hounding him for years.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

All animes look the same to me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Reimu also has brown hair.

I miss purple hair Reimu

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

And I miss the turtle she used to ride around on. In the current lore, isn't he still living in/near the pond at the Hakurei shrine, technically?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Now that she has the unstoppable power of float she don't need no flying turtle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You still see Goku riding on his cloud from time to time, though! Throw the flying turtle a bone every once in a while!

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Captain Invictus posted:

You still see Goku riding on his cloud from time to time, though! Throw the flying turtle a bone every once in a while!

Gensokyo has a one active magical old dude limit and Unzan took the slot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That turtle is younger than most of the hot women baddies hanging around. :colbert:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

MadRhetoric posted:

Gensokyo has a one active magical old dude limit and Unzan took the slot.

So we can't count Rinnosuke as a magical old dude?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kheldragar posted:

So we can't count Rinnosuke as a magical old dude?

He's not super magical, nor particularly old, so no.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
He doesn't look old, and honestly isn't particularly magical either.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

GyroNinja posted:

He doesn't look old, and honestly isn't particularly magical either.

I assure you that Yukari is exactly as old as she looks. :colbert:

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

I assure you that Yukari is exactly as old as she looks. :colbert:

The point is that image is everything when it comes to being a magical old dude. Sure, you can claim to be a one hundred year old half demon until you're blue in the face, if you don't AT LEAST have a sweet looking mustache no one is going to buy it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

GyroNinja posted:

The point is that image is everything when it comes to being a magical old dude. Sure, you can claim to be a one hundred year old half demon until you're blue in the face, if you don't AT LEAST have a sweet looking mustache no one is going to buy it.

That makes me wonder what Rinnosuke would look like if he had Unzan's facial hair. Actually, no it doesn't, that's a terrible idea.
I'm curious, is there any official art as to how Byakuren's brother or Youki Konpaku look like? I haven't read all of the written works, so I'm not sure if something would have shown up in those or not. I've seen plenty of fan-art, though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There is not and probably never will be.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

So I decided to try my hand at Ten Desires somewhat seriously since I had never really tried to play it past the second stage - I always got bored. The only spell-card I was able to capture after stage 2 was Futo's last one. Is it just me, or is that one incredibly easy/fun to do?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

There is not and probably never will be.

I wonder how far ZUN got into planning out Myouren, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Another Comiket trailer, another batch of Touhou fangames. This time we have:

Touhou Soccer 2
Sidescrolling beat em up with the best Orin ever
A sequel to last year's maid sidescroller/RPG
2D RTS
Another Strawberry Bose RPG
A sequel to Lotuscraft
The unholy spawn of HRtP and modern Touhou games
The full version of the new Lionheart Tenshi game
Touhou Pikmin
The full version of that Suika 3D adventure game
The full version of the fairy quiz/danmaku mashup
A retro arcade shooter version of EoSD
The full version of Touhou Ikaruga
A SRPG.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna be perfectly straight with you here, the only thing I took away from your post is that comiket is coming up soon meaning that we'll get the full version of Touhou 14. Who even cares about fangames when you get an official game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm gonna be perfectly straight with you here, the only thing I took away from your post is that comiket is coming up soon meaning that we'll get the full version of Touhou 14. Who even cares about fangames when you get an official game.

Not to mention most of those looked pretty terrible, yeah.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 3, 2013

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I just want the next part of that Valkyrie Profile-ish game to come out already.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

JackMackerel posted:

I wonder how far ZUN got into planning out Myouren, though.

He probably didn't have to do anything. He just said, "Her brother was Myouren", and at least a subset of the Japanese audience went, "Oh, okay, gotcha".

Admittedly, I don't know how pervasive the stories about Myouren are, or if it's one of those things where "the Western student of Japanese culture knows more about Japanese culture than the Japanese do" (the Myouren picture-scrolls are apparently notable enough to have been covered in my "Art of Japan" class).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

It's not like you only have to be excited for only one of these things really. Although I'll admit few fangames are worth getting too excited over.
Except this. So much waiting and finally it's done. Of course that means it'll be totally awful instead just to curb my expectations.

Copycat Zero posted:

He probably didn't have to do anything. He just said, "Her brother was Myouren", and at least a subset of the Japanese audience went, "Oh, okay, gotcha".

Admittedly, I don't know how pervasive the stories about Myouren are, or if it's one of those things where "the Western student of Japanese culture knows more about Japanese culture than the Japanese do" (the Myouren picture-scrolls are apparently notable enough to have been covered in my "Art of Japan" class).
Nah, that's not what happened. IIRC, ZUN planned the final boss to be Myouren, then he went "Wait a second, an old man final boss? That's not right at all! I'll just make up a sister for him." and that's how we got Byakuren.
I think his other idea for a final boss was actually just a giant UFO or Space Invaders thing.

leather fedora posted:

I just want the next part of that Valkyrie Profile-ish game to come out already.
Didn't that turn out to be a disaster? Kinda fitting considering the name.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

HGH posted:

Nah, that's not what happened. IIRC, ZUN planned the final boss to be Myouren, then he went "Wait a second, an old man final boss? That's not right at all! I'll just make up a sister for him." and that's how we got Byakuren.

The real-life Myouren was said to have a sister, ZUN just added pretty much every other detail to make Byakuren.

I guess he got over his aversion to having a historical old man as the final boss by Ten Desires because by then he realized he could just turn them into a young woman with no explanation and people wouldn't really question it.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HGH posted:

I had known that but momentarily forgot to take it into account as far as "planning out Myouren" was concerned. I guess if he had originally considered that, he might have done a rough character design or something (or maybe not, since he was literally planning on putting an old man in there to mess with the fans, so he could have just put the historical character in).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The impression I get from his interviews is that he kind of makes stuff up as he goes along. Like, he writes the stage music for stage 1, programs a level for stage one, and then comes up with the boss after he's already got the stage done, rinse and repeat 7 times (including Extra). I mean, hopefully he has some vague idea of where he's going, but the precise details like whether or not Byakuren is an old man or a space invader aren't settled until he actually gets there.

So I doubt there's concept art of Old Man Myouren or anything like that. It was just an idea bubbling in the back of his mind before he got around to the part where he would use it.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

HGH posted:

Didn't that turn out to be a disaster? Kinda fitting considering the name.
It wasn't as smooth as the real VP, naturally. If you had the patience to fiddle with it, it was pretty fun. Also, it still isn't nearly as hard as the real VP (yet).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, there's a new touhou soccor, I guess. Though it only adds MoF characters to the roster...

quote:

Except this. So much waiting and finally it's done. Of course that means it'll be totally awful instead just to curb my expectations.
That actually looks pretty good. I'll have to keep my eye on that as well.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Hazdoc posted:

Well, there's a new touhou soccor, I guess. Though it only adds MoF characters to the roster...

That actually looks pretty good. I'll have to keep my eye on that as well.

I was hoping that for the trailer they only showed the MoF characters, while the rest are hidden till the actual game. At least up to GFW, as Star was shown.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I've started to go back and replay the older Windows games to see if I could accomplish stuff I couldn't do before. Last night I managed to 1cc EoSD for the first time, using MarisaA. I was pretty happy, but as always when I 1cc a Touhou game I just make it by the skin of my teeth.

I've only played the Extra a few times, but it seems easier than the others? One of the other Extras I actually unlocked was for Fairy Wars, and I can barely make it past the midbosses. But I got to Flandre on my second try.

I can't believe Touhou 14 comes out in about a week... I still haven't played much of Hopeless Masquerade because I wanted to wait for an English patch.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

A while ago the guys who usually do translation patches came in here and said they don't feel like translating and patching Hopeless Masquerade because they not only really dislike the game, TasoFro's code is also so labyrinthine and shoddy they don't wanna expend the effort for a game they don't actually like. So short of someone else rising up to the challenge you can wait a long time for a translation to come out. Just look at the translations on the touhou wiki and that touhou endings wiki if you need to know what the characters are saying.

As for EoSD's extra stage being easier than others, it's really not. The stage potion itself might be easier than some of the others, but Flandre alone makes it the hardest extra stage in my experience, coupled with the fact that EoSD Extra gives you the least resources of all extra stages with only two additional extra lives and nothing else. The thing about GFW Extra is that the game heavily relies on its freezing gimmick, so until you got a good route planned to make optimal use of freezing, it's gonna be significantly harder than other stages, but once you do it becomes a whole lot more manageable.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BlitzBlast posted:

Another Comiket trailer, another batch of Touhou fangames. This time we have:

Still waiting for a "Touhou Mouso" game :colbert:

I mean how hard can programming be anyway?:v:

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

a cartoon duck posted:

A while ago the guys who usually do translation patches came in here and said they don't feel like translating and patching Hopeless Masquerade because they not only really dislike the game, TasoFro's code is also so labyrinthine and shoddy they don't wanna expend the effort for a game they don't actually like. So short of someone else rising up to the challenge you can wait a long time for a translation to come out. Just look at the translations on the touhou wiki and that touhou endings wiki if you need to know what the characters are saying.

Woah, I forgot there was a Touhou endings wiki. The lack of ending translation on the main wiki was what was stopping me (some of the menus are a little hard to navigate too). Bookmarked it, maybe I can start playing again soon. It'd be nice to read the endings on the PC-98 games too, if I go back and play them.

I've been following the HM patch progress thread on shrinemaiden, and it seems like some of the major hurdles, like turning the vertical text boxes into horizontal boxes, have been solved. But there are still portions of text untranslated, so it'll probably still be a while. The thread is here for those who haven't seen it: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,14754.210.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

While we're still on the topic of HM, BlitzBlast and I were testing around a bit, and it turns out patch 1.10c completely destroyed netplay. The lag there basically makes netplay unplayable while 1.10b still works perfectly in that regard. Well, aside from the fact that 1.10b apparently frequently crashes when using netplay. Still beats the lag, though.