Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

anyways speaking of inner city happenings, that sydney marcus 400/85 interchange thing is supposed to be done by the end of this month I think. lol not gonna happen

Ahahaha, you're a funny guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Trigger warning, OTP question:

Has anyone eaten/heard about http://www.prestorestaurant.com/index.html?

I read a great review on Yelp and it's pretty close to me and the specialty menu looks amazing. Plus they do Columbian soups on the weekends! Hopefully going to try it this weekend, just wondering if anyone had been and had recommendations.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
My roommates go there pretty regularly and have only ever had really good things to say about it, though I never asked what they had. I will say if you're craving Colombian food that driving the extra mile or so into the Square for Kiosco is a must. Empanadas, chicken with raspberry sauce, sausages...still one of my favorite restaurants anywhere and the sangria is to die for.

There has been an influx of good food in Marietta in the last few years (and old places getting renewed love), particularly within 5 miles of the Square. Let me know if you find any good stuff and I'm happy to compare notes if you are looking for anything in particular. We can suffer through the OTP nightmare together!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

Ahahaha, you're a funny guy

ILL BE HERE ALL NIGHT FOLKS

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

venutolo posted:

Wait, you guys associate with OTP people?!?

Jerk.

We have tasty china which is amazing.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

nicad posted:

Jerk.

We have tasty china which is amazing.

Yes, but Tasty China II is ITP. :smug:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

jooky posted:

And gave me the worst food poisoning I've ever had. :colbert:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Good Gunshow writeup:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/dining/restaurantreviews/2013/07/31/gunshow

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

jooky posted:

Went there after a strip club night for their late night $2 BBQ special.

Terrible. The seafood was practically rotten.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Been to Tasty China II quite a few times and have never had any issues (except them being out of various alcohols). I had no clue they even did a Chinese BBQ late night menu.

I've only been to the other Tasty China once, but I thought it wasn't as good as II. YMMV, clearly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not that any of you eat at Ru Sans, and not that this is terribly surprising, but still: http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/08/01/restaurant-inspections-ru-sans/

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Josh Lyman posted:

Not that any of you eat at Ru Sans, and not that this is terribly surprising, but still: http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/08/01/restaurant-inspections-ru-sans/

Hey, speak for yourself. Me and some friends will still hit up the Piedmont Ru San's every now and then out of nostalgia from when we were in high school and didn't know any better. Sometimes you just wanna get trashy :unsmigghh:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Turns out Shake Shack is opening a location in Buckhead. No one tell them ATL is already over the burger craze :ssh:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Hey, speak for yourself. Me and some friends will still hit up the Piedmont Ru San's every now and then out of nostalgia from when we were in high school and didn't know any better. Sometimes you just wanna get trashy :unsmigghh:

Now the trashy part is just more literal than before.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Josh Lyman posted:

RuSans is the McDonalds of sushi. Its cheap, plain, the exact same at every location, and the next day your butt won't stop throwing up.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I visited BoccaLupo for the first time and really liked it. I typically don't eat at Italian restaurants because I find that they're mostly either inexpensive and mediocre or expensive and good, but stuffy and too upscale for my tastes. BoccaLupo is sort of in the middle. I thought the prices were moderate and the food was really good.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Have any of you ever been to the Chinese food court? You should really go to the Chinese food court. It's about a block off Buford highway, turn right at the road after Chamblee Tucker and I think a left on New Peachtree. Go to the Sichuan place that doesn't have any english on the menu, ask for the mapo tofu.

It is the best food.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I visited BoccaLupo for the first time and really liked it. I typically don't eat at Italian restaurants because I find that they're mostly either inexpensive and mediocre or expensive and good, but stuffy and too upscale for my tastes. BoccaLupo is sort of in the middle. I thought the prices were moderate and the food was really good.

What'd you get? Their lasagna is pretty drat good.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Gunshow is awesome and it's too bad that some Yelp reviewers can't handle the unique dining experience.

If anybody goes, roll with the punches and choose dishes on the spot as they come around. Don't be that guy and pick out one dish on the menu and then stew for an hour not eating because it doesn't come by your table. Also no cork fee is the best.

ed: They have a chef's table up front and we asked about it. It's $1000 for the night, up to 6 guests, everyone can get 1 of each of the entire menu and they'll accommodate wine requests and order them ahead of time for the table.

Mammon Loves You fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 4, 2013

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Mammon Loves You posted:

ed: They have a chef's table up front and we asked about it. It's $1000 for the night, up to 6 guests, everyone can get 1 of each of the entire menu and they'll accommodate wine requests and order them ahead of time for the table.

I'm in, let's get the freakin' chefs table. Five more goons needed!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

What'd you get? Their lasagna is pretty drat good.

Bruschetta "bahn mi" for a starter, then the strano pasta in a Gorgonzola cream sauce with mortadella and broccoli.

Mammon Loves You posted:

Gunshow is awesome and it's too bad that some Yelp reviewers can't handle the unique dining experience.

I get a laugh out of clueless Yelp reviews. I remember reading an Yelp review of Antico that criticized the fact that they don't serve buffalo wings, which every good pizza place should have.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

I get a laugh out of clueless Yelp reviews. I remember reading an Yelp review of Antico that criticized the fact that they don't serve buffalo wings, which every good pizza place should have.

hehe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone care to share any opinions or experiences with Local Three?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I went with my parents several months back and had a very pleasurable experience. Food was pretty good and the chef came our and chatted with out table for quite some time. Very personable atmosphere from what I remember.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Don't go to gunshow, go to the Chinese food court. Go to the Sichuan place, get the boiled water beef. Unless you can read Chinese, you're just gonna have to ask for it and hope for the best. It is literally the best thing I've eaten in the last
ten years, make sure you specify you want it at the appropriate spice level if you're a gringo like me (the appropriate spice level is to ask for 'whatever they serve in sichuan province, I can totally take the heat. It is incredible.)

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Weren't you just saying that mapo tofu is the best food? It's apparently not better than the boiled water beef. Which is it? Organize a goon meet at the Chinese food court, Sichuan restaurant?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
What I'm trying to say is i've been twice in the last week, don't know dick about sichuan food and there's not a thing that I haven't liked. Everyone should look up a tasty sichuan dish and go, there is evidently no way to go wrong; even if you are white as hell they'll still make it traditional spicy if you ask

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Picture, if you will, a man who has never had Italian food. He says at first 'you guys should try this thing called pizza, it is the best.' The next day, he says 'hey you guys should try lasagna, it is the best' and then the third day he says 'turns out there's this thing called ravioli, it is totally the best.'

That is me and sichuan food. Please permit me a learning curve, and if you haven't tried any of the dishes I've mentioned please do so with haste.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but I was just going to ask if anyone here could give me a recommendation for a good chinese restaurant in the Buckhead area?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"good" is a stretch, but I guess the best takeout chinese place I've found has been http://www.yelp.com.sg/biz/malaya-atlanta

they have thai/attempts at malay food as well, which I appreciate. everything has been hit or miss, but for me that's better than solid misses all around which I feel like most chinese places in the area offer. would love to hear anyone else's suggestions though.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Chinese:

Chef Liu is really good and authentic off Buford Hwy. It's homemade food; not Chinese food wholesaler crap like 99% of the Chinese restaurants around.
http://www.yelp.com.sg/biz/chef-liu-atlanta

I've love to know of some nicer places in town as well.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Chef Liu was one of my favorites but they failed a health inspection this year and I haven't been back since. :( Still if you go the leek pie, pan fried pork buns, steamed pork buns and soup dumplings are all excellent.

Did anybody see that Two Urban Licks (along with Ru San's mentioned earlier in the thread) failed its most recent health inspection too?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
While we're on the subject, anybody have suggestions for good chinese around downtown Decatur? When I lived with my parents I was pretty close to Buford highway and got spoiled by easy access. There's a chinese/indian fusion place that's pretty ok, but it's kinda expensive for the portion sizes and the dishes are super hit or miss.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The General Muir (my favorite place) and The Optimist are included in Bon Appetit's 50 nominees for best new restaurant.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Not in town, but House of Chan in Smyrna is my go-to Chinese place. It's not fancy, just a typical Americanized Cantonese menu with a few extra specialties, but everything is homemade and fresh, not frozen Sysco crap, and it's really good.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

The General Muir (my favorite place) and The Optimist are included in Bon Appetit's 50 nominees for best new restaurant.

I've been trying to get reservations to The Optimist for weeks, but need more notice it seems for weekends. We're going to King + Duke instead this weekend. Anyone been?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

I've been trying to get reservations to The Optimist for weeks, but need more notice it seems for weekends. We're going to King + Duke instead this weekend. Anyone been?

I went to King + Duke about a month ago. I sort of had mixed feeling about it. Some of the food we had was great, and some was just okay. One of our desserts was exceptional, and the other was a complete mess. It is very Buckhead-y, which I hate. It is the type of place I might visit two or three times a year.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a reservation at Gunshow tomorrow night. I'm super excited.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Paper Plane is really good. Been there twice now and I like it a lot. They added tables outside in the little alleyway and it's nice.

Highly recommended if you're in Decatur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Went to Gunshow tonight (tonight's menu above) and really enjoyed it. For whatever reason, Kevin Gillespie was not there tonight, so I was a bit disappointed I wouldn't be trying any of his creations or preparations.

I really enjoy the concept, but there are some drawbacks to it. Since the menu basically changes every week, I imagine the menu items as a whole are not as refined as it could be if there were more of a regular menu. About half of what I ate was good, but not excellent, and had parts of the dish that I really liked and had parts that didn't work for me. Also, since dishes come out when they're ready, at one point I had three dishes backed up at my table, and so when I got around to eating them, they had cooled a little from ideal temperature.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience and will go back. It is definitely worth a try if you are intrigued by the concept.