Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Sasha-Titan's going to be harmless to anyone not made of potatoes.

Actually, remember the Irish potato famine? She could be the deadliest Titan yet.

Also, Petra's a redhead in this one, so that rules her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

When I read the manga for the first time, for a while I honestly thought that the female titan was probably Eren's mother, stuck for years as a Titan. I thought that was why she was looking specifically for Eren and not trying to kill people otherwise, and I expected that she'd be killed tragically before Eren could realise this. Of course, after a while it became apparent that she had a totally different motivation from that of a mother seeking her son, which ruled out that option.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

It runs in a shounen rag. The over-under on every surviving named character being one at some future date is pretty low.

Eren and Mikasa both receive injections of some sort. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c005/37.html I suspect they were in titan form for a long time, and the parents they have now adopted them. There is a bunch of other things to hint that Mikasa may or may not be a titan shifter as well.

quote:

When I read the manga for the first time, for a while I honestly thought that the female titan was probably Eren's mother, stuck for years as a Titan.

I'm probably the only one who was surprised that the female type was Annie, when I was reading through it at that point for some reason I never made the connection that the female type was intelligent like Eren. It was after that point though I started taking each chapter more seriously.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 2, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Eren and Mikasa both receive injections of some sort. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c005/37.html I suspect they were in titan form for a long time, and the parents they have now adopted them.

She had just gotten a tattoo from her mother I thought.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Breaky posted:

She had just gotten a tattoo from her mother I thought.

Her mother doesn't have a tattoo. Though admittedly that could be an oversight. Has anyone actually seen the tattoo, Mikasa is always wearing long sleeves so there is no telling if there is a tattoo there or not.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Her mother doesn't have a tattoo. Though admittedly that could be an oversight. Has anyone actually seen the tattoo, Mikasa is always wearing long sleeves so there is no telling if there is a tattoo there or not.

No, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It will certainly be relevant at some point, knowing the author.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

MadHat posted:

See everyone complaining when Eren turned out to be alive. Some of the expectations for this show were a little weird.

They were expecting main characters to get killed off willy nilly like their favorite nihilistic Western fantasy story, Game Of Thrones, since people dying is Drama

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Any 'Mikasa is a titan' theory needs to explain why the cut Eren inflicted on her didn't regenerate away, or else make the argument that the regeneration component of being a Titan is somehow disabled until they first transform or whatever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lestaki posted:

Any 'Mikasa is a titan' theory needs to explain why the cut Eren inflicted on her didn't regenerate away, or else make the argument that the regeneration component of being a Titan is somehow disabled until they first transform or whatever.

Which makes sense.

If Eren had regenerative powers before, he would probably know it by the time he became a titan for the first time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

They were expecting main characters to get killed off willy nilly like their favorite nihilistic Western fantasy story, Game Of Thrones, since people dying is Drama

Funny thing is that ASOIAF actually plays a quite similar sleight-of-hand to AOT. The main characters are actually quite well-protected - Martin creates an illusion of 'anyone can die' by disguising who those main characters are (Tyrion, Daenerys, and Jon Snow are far more the protagonists of their books than, say, Ned Stark, but the latter gets enough development and screentime that you don't realise it until afterwards), killing off a shitload of mildly important characters, and putting his protagonists in mortal danger often enough that the audience starts to get uneasy. It shakes things up a bit more, but the difference in methodology isn't as great as you might think.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Lestaki posted:

Titan shifters can control their regeneration to some extent, with Annie's eye trick and Reiner's bite not steaming until he blew his cover

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elotana posted:

Titan shifters can control their regeneration to some extent, with Annie's eye trick and Reiner's bite not steaming until he blew his cover

Which suggests that you have to unlock your abilities before you can activate it in the first place. Then again, since the trained shifters seem to have amazing control over their powers, maybe not. It is true, however, that Eren's leg didn't steam when it got bitten off prior to him getting titanmunched.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It seems more like Reiner knew his cover was blown when he got injured, and that's why they blew their cover so awkwardly, I thought.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Elotana posted:

Those guys are experienced and even they can't fully control the regeneration, which is why Reiner realises the jig is up. Theoretical Titan Mikasa has no training and no conscious control of the process, so she'd just regenerate.

Darth Walrus posted:

Which suggests that you have to unlock your abilities before you can activate it in the first place. Then again, since the trained shifters seem to have amazing control over their powers, maybe not. It is true, however, that Eren's leg didn't steam when it got bitten off prior to him getting titanmunched.

But this is a good point and does suggest that the regeneration only activates after the first transformation. This strikes me as rather counter-intuitive, but there we go.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Rei_ posted:

It seems more like Reiner knew his cover was blown when he got injured, and that's why they blew their cover so awkwardly, I thought.

Yeah, that's a plausible theory, though it's also plausible that he could keep loving up his arm repeatedly to hide the regeneration. :emo:

I'm really hoping Mikasa never becomes a Titan, it would pretty much kill a lot of her appeal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It doesn't suggest it as much as it confirms it. If he could have regenerated before that, he would have probably noticed during grueling military training that would have lead to some injuries, no matter how minor.

I don't treat that kind of hypothetical as evidence. If this series wants to tell us something, it does so on-panel, since it is scrupulous with its foreshadowing.

Still hoping Mikasa isn't a Titan because that would be really quite boring.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was watching the anime yesterday and I noticed that, in the new credits clip, on that scene where we have everybody standing by a wall, everyone on the left side o the wall (Annie, Reiner, Berthold, Ymir and Christa) is a titan.. except Christa.

I wonder if it means something or its just a coincidence.

Also, the last episode was really good, probably the best so far.

EDIT: by the way, why they changed "Rivaille" to "Levi"?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It could just be a scar too. Thing is she didn't get an injection there. There are tools etc on the table and her moms bandaging her up saying she gave her the symbol of their clan...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I guess I was the only one that assumed that only Eren could shape-shift and was completely surprised when it turned out to be Annie.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Because those are both the same name and Levi is the correct spelling (he's apparently based on someone from Jesus Camp called Levi).

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's supposed to be Levi, since Levi is a real western name and Rivaille isn't anything. Rivaille was just an awkward transliteration of the name. The quality of the translations I read were inconsistent, but usually not very good. I seem to recall what I thought were a few memes slipped in, too. It was rather irritating.

And yeah, I felt like a total idiot that I didn't realize Female Titan was Annie when she started using Thai boxing moves or got into that really distinctive stance with her fists at head level. I didn't know it was her till that panel of the FemTitan slumped against a tree with her jaw torn off that really emphasizes her nose.

Soulcleaver posted:

I love that you can go back and see that human-Annie instinctively covers the back of her neck when wrestling. Who knows how many other details there are that point towards future events unseen?

What I'm saying is that I can't wait for August's issue to come out because my balls are bluer than smurf poo poo. drat this is a great comic.
By any chance do you remember what chapter that was? I never noticed her doing that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

By any chance do you remember what chapter that was? I never noticed her doing that.

It's in chapter 17. It's the kind of thing that makes you slap your forehead and go "It's so obvious" in hindsight.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, all the signs for all the titans are there, we just didn't notice it. If you go back and read from the beginning everything is so obvious it feels like it's being applied too forcefully.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Shadow0 posted:

I guess I was the only one that assumed that only Eren could shape-shift and was completely surprised when it turned out to be Annie.

I only realized Annie was the female Titan literally the chapter where it was confirmed. Made me really embarrassed that I didn't realize it from her combat moves.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I only realized Annie was the female Titan literally the chapter where it was confirmed. Made me really embarrassed that I didn't realize it from her combat moves.

I read through a bunch of chapters in one big stretch, so I never even guessed who the female titan might be. Now that I'm reading one chapter every month it gives me time to speculate, but I never took the time to actually think about who the armored/colossal/female titans might be; I just sort of went along for the ride.

That being said, I wasn't really surprised when I found out about Annie. I just hadn't thought about it much. The armored/colossal titans, on the other hand, did surprise me. I was fortunate enough to have the reveal occur in its intended way; I basically did a double-take after reading over the panel where they make the big reveal in the background.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It doesn't suggest it as much as it confirms it. If he could have regenerated before that, he would have probably noticed during grueling military training that would have lead to some injuries, no matter how minor.

Something similar in that vein might be foreshadowed actually. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c044/2.html Annie's reaction to Eren's questioning may be her taking a moment to think of a way to move the topic away from her hidden abilities.

Speaking of regeneration: I think that experienced Titan-shifters like Reiner, Berthold, and Annie can delay their regeneration abilities. Reiner wasn't regenerating at all until the very last moment he decided to cross the rubicon.

quote:

Still hoping Mikasa isn't a Titan because that would be really quite boring.

A lot of people are saying this but honestly I don't see how it's boring if it's done well. There are a lot of allusions to the idea that Mikasa may be a titan shifter. The first chapter could imply many things, Mikasa's head pain, breaking the wooden plank when she defended Eren, the top four of the 104 are Titans, Ymir underachieving for Historia's sake(meaning she could have gotten top 10, to further the implication that Titans have exceptionally athletic human bodies), the tattoo or injection- I'm sure there are more suggestions out there that could imply Mikasa being a titan-shifter I haven't picked up yet. For all we know she may not be. Basically, don't be surprised.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 2, 2013

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Lestaki posted:

Those guys are experienced and even they can't fully control the regeneration, which is why Reiner realises the jig is up. Theoretical Titan Mikasa has no training and no conscious control of the process, so she'd just regenerate.

This makes a lot of sense now. At first, it seems like Reiner is just concerned about Annie's well-being, but the reality is that he didn't want her to blow their cover so soon. (also, I love Bert's stupid face)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tender Child Loins posted:

(also, I love Bert's stupid face)

I still can't get over the fact that the most powerful and iconic Titan in the series, the wall-breaker, the one that literally kick-started the final destruction of human-kind, is Bertholdt "Sweaty McSweatdrop" Fubar. Bertholdt.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

A lot of people are saying this but honestly I don't see how it's boring if it's done well. There are a lot of allusions to the idea that Mikasa may be a titan shifter. The first chapter could imply many things, Mikasa's head pain, breaking the wooden plank when she defended Eren, the top four of the 104 are Titans, Ymir underachieving for Historia's sake(meaning she could have gotten top 10, to further the implication that Titans have exceptionally athletic human bodies), the tattoo or injection- I'm sure there are more suggestions out there that could imply Mikasa being a titan-shifter I haven't picked up yet. For all we know she may not be. Basically, don't be surprised.

Yeah I'm aware of all that and I won't be surprised but it would still be tedious because too many important characters in this series are already Titan shifters and we do not need Mikasa to join them. As much as anything else, she's already overbearingly talented and powerful even though she's a tiny squishy human who is occasionally plain irrelevant. Just what does Mikasa being a Titan add to the series, exactly? Her natural combat superiority is augmented by a Titan body and she gains regeneration to further reduce the chance that she ever actually experiences danger in a fight. She is not the kind of person who would experience dissonance over discovering she was a Titan- if anything, she'd be grateful she had a new power to protect Eren with. It's hardly a twist because we've already seen so many people turn out to be hidden Titans and the evidence is there for all to see.

If there's a reason to make Mikasa a titan other than 'to see her wreck face' then I'm interested to hear it.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Titan-shifter? I thought we agreed on calling them pilots :colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

We know Ymir was "sacrificed" sometime in the past
In the first chapter Eren has a dream of Mikasa saying goodbye to him 2000 years ago and is crying when he wakes up, so maybe Mikasa was also "sacrificed?"
Ymir is alive in the present, and is a titan pilot
Mikasa is also a titan pilot???

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Based on what happened to Connie's village, I would not be surprised to find out that literally every person alive is also a titan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Even if Mikasa's been experimented on/upgraded, that doesn't necessarily make her a Titan-shifter. Maybe Dr. Jaeger was working on other applications of the principles behind Titan "technology"? A human-sized super-soldier with enhanced strength, speed, et cetera? Mikasa is certainly physically gifted in a way that not even the Titan pilots in their human forms are - they just seem to be able to heal really fast, whereas she was performing inhuman feats of strength even as a kid.

Or, of course, she's Just That Good, or derives her power from being the last Japanese person in existence :japan:. Who knows?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Mikasa is just the ultimate proof of the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

JosephWongKS posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the most powerful and iconic Titan in the series, the wall-breaker, the one that literally kick-started the final destruction of human-kind, is Bertholdt "Sweaty McSweatdrop" Fubar. Bertholdt.

Ymir calls him Bertles. :unsmigghh:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Here's the specific pages for the curious. On my first read I thought she was just preparing to duck or winding up for a big anime punch or something, but nope, expert foreshadowing!

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c017/9.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c017/10.html

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Mikasa's already a monster, so her titan form would be some kind of hosed up abstraction of "cannibal tall man", like a 100m levitating fetus with a vacuum sandworm mouth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If Mikasa ever went Titan I bet it'd get hosed up and ruined somehow, like Connie's mom. For exactly the reason that she'd be so absurdly overpowered in a normal titan body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if Mikasa is actually like a human-sized "Titan" of sorts? Kind of like one of those humanoid Cylons (or perhaps more aptly, Replicants) that are in many ways physically superior to, but indistinguishable from a real human.

It'd be :japan: as hell, but so is the idea of "pilotable" Titans, and that idea was executed rather well.