Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
My experience: Over the past 4 Years I've worked on a about half a dozen Ruby on Rails apps and Heavy iOS and Mac OS X development with RESTful api integrations. Recently I've been fairly javascript and front-end focused and even have some Node.js back-end experience. I like learning. Links available for some work.
What I'm looking for: A similar position in a company that does a little more than just CRUD apps. One that values mentor-ship and engineering
Where I live: Washington D.C.
Where I'm looking: Within a sane commute of Washington D.C., or Remote.
When I can start: Flexible
Requirements: FT, insurance, the usual, open to contract and freelance. Training/conferences would be sweet
Can be reached via: Email - email is on my github: https://github.com/aaroncrespo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
My experience: 12+ years working for the internal IT group of a university college serving roughly 300 faculty, 600 staff and 15000 students. Starting as a student worker I have been promoted and advanced to now holding a position of IT Manager - I report to our director. I currently have 8 direct reports that comprise our helpdesk and systems staff. Due to compression my role is mostly operational, but I attempt to provide hands-off leadership to my teams. I am the primary administrator of our network which spans three separate facilities, our virtual environment(starting with ESX3.5 all the way through to 5.1), our network filesystems(Netware/OES2/SMB), our SAN environment(EMC and HP), our backup environment(BE 9/10, Datadomains, LTO3/6 tape libraries), as well as power, cooling and security. I have advanced level experience supporting Windows(95-7), Windows Server(2003/2008), Novell Netware(6/6.5), Mac OS(8 - 10.8), Mac Server(10.5-10.8) and Getting poo poo Done. I have intermediate level experience with Foundry/Brocade L2 switching, Astaro and FortiNet firewalls, Brocade FC, RHEL(4-6), and Novell OES2. I am versed in a number of programming and script languages including bash, batch, perl, php, and powershell. I am dedicated to providing the best customer service possible - I still respond to high priority user issues. I am the liaison with all of our major vendors and am in charge of a ~$350000 yearly budget.
What I'm looking for: Good question - something different, something the same, something more
Where I'm looking: See previous answer
Requirements: Full time/benefits/retirement/training/similar leave policy(12+ hr leave/month - 12+ hr sick/month) and a competitive salary for the area.
Reachable at: PM me or drop me a line at mewisenb@gmail.com

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Job is filled.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 3, 2013

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

Xero in Denver

Just shot you guys my resume. I'm East-Coast USA but relocation is not an issue, and the gig sounds pretty cool.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OWLS! posted:

Just shot you guys my resume. I'm East-Coast USA but relocation is not an issue, and the gig sounds pretty cool.

I have been seriously thinking about sending my resume their way. I'm in the same boat, but unfortunately I won't be able to relocate for 6 months or so. Dying to get to the Denver area, and Xero seems like a great company!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

I have been seriously thinking about sending my resume their way. I'm in the same boat, but unfortunately I won't be able to relocate for 6 months or so. Dying to get to the Denver area, and Xero seems like a great company!

Keep the careers page bookmarked, I can't imagine that we won't be hiring.

BrotherNumsey
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
X

BrotherNumsey fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2020

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I'm actually looking to move to Denver, so I'll be keeping my eyes open. Hoping for something like a sys admin position opens up.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'm actually looking to move to Denver, so I'll be keeping my eyes open. Hoping for something like a sys admin position opens up.

Maybe I wasn't too clear in the posting, but these effectively are sys admin roles, but you're looking after the servers running a SaaS platform instead of just dealing with a corporate domain. Plenty of building and configuring of new servers to keep up with load, powershell to make changes across a wide number of servers at once, fire-fighting and error hunting, all the typical stuff.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Added stuff of interest to developers in London or Denver to the spreadsheet.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Will you be posting here when the UK office opens up? Sounds like the tits to be honest.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Experto Crede posted:

Will you be posting here when the UK office opens up? Sounds like the tits to be honest.

Yes and Yes. Though my understanding is that the UK Ops Team is planned for a year from now.

On the "You should come to New Zealand" front, Xero recently got involved with a program designed to encourage foreigners and ex-pats to come to New Zealand for work, and the reasons why you should. We have a company profile on there with lots of photos of our office and interviews with our staff, it's quite nice:

http://www.workhere.co.nz/company/xero/about-us

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Do you guys ever take co-op students? I'll be eligible for coop after this year and it would be really nifty to do it abroad (in Canada currently). The way my school normally does it is 16 months straight, which is a little unusual, though.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Do you guys ever take co-op students? I'll be eligible for coop after this year and it would be really nifty to do it abroad (in Canada currently). The way my school normally does it is 16 months straight, which is a little unusual, though.

I had to google what a co-op student was. But we do do intakes of grads and near-grads (typically in dev, occasionally in devops) every 6 months. We get about 200+ applications, that's whittled down to about 30 potentials who come in for grad day, where we show them around the place and give them activities/challenges/interviews, and after that about 10 will be offered a paid full/part time internship. This naturally focuses on New Zealand schools though.

I'm not aware of any rules as to why we wouldn't take a Canadian in, but the tricky part is that you'd have to be physically here already in order to go through the process, and there's no guarantee you'll get accepted as the competition is really tough.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Eh, I'll probably throw in an application anyways. What's the worst that could happen? I could throw away hundreds of dollars on a plane ticket only to be faced with crushing rejection

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Eh, I'll probably throw in an application anyways. What's the worst that could happen? I could throw away hundreds of dollars on a plane ticket only to be faced with crushing rejection

Come to NZ for a working holiday, we have plenty of temp jobs at ski fields, farms, orchards, bars, lots of things that get filled by backpackers. While you're here flick your CV to as many tech companies you like the look of.

Worst case scenario you just end up with what most people do here, having a fun trip around New Zealand doing odd jobs. Best case you find a reason to stay for a lot longer.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

Yes and Yes. Though my understanding is that the UK Ops Team is planned for a year from now.

On the "You should come to New Zealand" front, Xero recently got involved with a program designed to encourage foreigners and ex-pats to come to New Zealand for work, and the reasons why you should. We have a company profile on there with lots of photos of our office and interviews with our staff, it's quite nice:

http://www.workhere.co.nz/company/xero/about-us

This totally owns. Is there a pretty big deficit in development talent? Living in NZ would be sweet as hell.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

AgentSythe posted:

This totally owns. Is there a pretty big deficit in development talent? Living in NZ would be sweet as hell.

Yes. All IT positions are classed as "high demand" on NZs immigration website. If you have a degree in IT, 3 years experience, and a job offer, you already have far more than what's necessary to make the right amount of points for a visa.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz

We do what we can to encourage students to get into IT, but the universities just aren't pumping them out fast enough to keep up with demand. There's a large number of exciting tech companies down here clamouring for international talent. You won't ever make the same amount of money that you could in other countries, but we more than make up for it in the overall lifestyle you can make for yourself.

You reminded me that I should also share this in the dev jobs thread.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

First time posting one of these, though I'm not holding out much hope since I don't think I've ever seen a posting for Canada in here:
Who We Are: An internet consultancy specializing in eCommerce.

About the company:
We're basically a .NET consultancy that specializes in eCommerce. This can include (depending on the client) site design, feature implementation, infrastructure management, marketing, cost analysis/reporting, logistics automation, back office automation, and anything else in between. There are companies that sell literally hundreds of millions of dollars a year based on our technology, and we have our own in-house properties as well. The job would be a bit of a mix, with some .NET development, some DBA, and some front end implementation stuff. We're looking for a junior guy so if you're good at one or two of those things we'll train you up in the others. Client base is growing like stink, and we are least 1.5 FTEs short where we should be to fulfill our obligations.

Where We Are: Richmond, BC, Canada (though you can live just about anywhere in Vancouver; I'm in downtown and it's 1 train + 1 bus)

Who We Are Looking For:
'Junior' .NET Web Developer. The junior is in quotes because we're having trouble finding .NET people at all, regardless of skill level. We started looking for a senior developer, hired him, and then realized he didn't know his arse from someone else's, equally untalented at .NET, arse. Then we got a junior guy; we taught him so much in six weeks that he left for a better job. The job isn't hard, but I'm starting to prefer junior people just so they can learn how we do things instead of coming in with what they learned in school, and us having to 'unlearn' their bad habits. This range can mean a few things; don't quite qualify for the position? Send us something anyway. I'd rather have a guy who is whip smart at Javascript/Jquery/CSS (stuff I'm not good at) and show him how MSSQL works than have a guy who is mediocre at everything. Feel overqualified for the position? Great, if you're a good fit we wanted a senior guy in the first place.

The Good:
Pretty laid back. It's a small consultancy so not a lot of politicking or committees or signing that secretary who you didn't like's birthday card. The technology is interesting; to stay ahead of the curve we're usually doing new things and researching new technologies. We're moving into apps as well if you'd like to get in on the ground floor of that. You deal with the clients, but generally not to support them (e.g. no 'my computer doesn't work'), more to confirm features, ask about functionality, let them know what you've done, that kind of thing. No computer janitoring (other than keeping an eye on your own machine), no phone support, no sales. It's nice to be part of something that's growing, and as a company we're not really interested in soaking people for overpriced maintenance contracts. Instead we'd rather develop cool new stuff to solve operational problems. We've got some friends in the startup space and are kicking around some ideas of our own to develop in addition to the eCommerce properties we already have.

The Bad:
- It's kinda not sexy. I don't mean this in a bad way, but not everyone can be 'hey exciting cloud startup from New Zealand'. We don't play water polo on Fridays and don't have an acupuncturist who is also a chef on staff. We basically come in, do a bunch of work, and go home.
- Consultancy. This means you have to keep track of your hours on the projects (we use ProjectBubble) so the clients know they're getting bang for buck.
- Richmond is also pretty remote but I guess that depends on your own preferences. Not a lot of nearby meal choices unless you're car'ed, though some brown bag it.
- You'd be working with me and if I catch you on the forums by god I'll...

Email me at wtmjobs@SHUTDOWNBYTHENSA.com or PM if you want to know more

Here's the 'hr speak' posting. If this seems different from what I wrote above, well I didn't write what comes below. For those with bingo cards I'll summarize: established, talented, self-starter, dynamic, cutting-edge, maximize.
We are an established eCommerce company, looking for talented people to join our team. You will be responsible for providing expertise in design, implementation, support and maintenance of our ecommerce systems. We are looking for a self-starter accustomed to working in a dynamic atmosphere creating complex, cutting edge technology.
The role will include, but not limited to, functional and customer experience enhancements, collaboration with customer marketing team to deliver capabilities that maximize digital marketing campaigns, and the integration of social, mobile, and alternative cross-channel retail features that expand new customers and retain existing customers.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits.
Responsibilities & Requirements:
• Administer ecommerce websites database and UI
• experience with ASP.NET/CSS/HTML/JQuery
• Demonstrated track record of web technology or database experience
• Monitor and analyze effectiveness of new features and web site changes
• Experience with popular ecommerce API's (Google, Amazon, Social Apps)
• MS SQL Database experience

EDIT-I was using lavabit for this address but it don't exist no more. PM me if you're still interested.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 20, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
My former company is looking to fill my position (as I'm leaving for a new position in the Pacific NW). Looking for a mid-tier or senior IT engineer for an MSP/IT Consulting firm. GREAT place to work with a lot of interesting projects and clients.

Who We Are: MSP/IT Consulting firm

About the company:
The company started in a guy's garage, building high-end PCs for companies. Now, it has grown to about 30 employees, mostly technical, working in a variety of capacities. There's a tech department that builds custom PCs for industrial clients, a full help-desk/NOC that handles much of the MSP side of things, and a team of engineers that act as escalation for the MSP guys and also handles projects for a variety of clients and technologies. We also have a hosted cloud platform (blade servers + storage in Vegas) for hundreds of users and a hosted Exchange 2010 environment that we provide for clients as well. The company is currently the best team in town for IT consulting.

Where We Are: Santa Barbara, CA (we don't do much work in LA, but cover San Luis Obispo to Ventura)

Who We Are Looking For:
Mid-level or senior IT engineer. I am leaving a senior IT engineer position, but the opening would work for a mid-level guy that wants to learn and expand. 95% of our clients use VMWare, Microsoft (AD/Exchange), and Juniper firewalls. If you know those technologies (3-4 years experience), you'll be ready to go. ShoreTel, NetApp, Juniper switching, and Citrix are other major technologies we work with.

As an IT consultant, you'll be expected to work with clients to figure out their needs, create project plans, implement servers/network/storage, document what you did, etc. You will often be setting your own schedule by communicating with clients and setting priorities. You'll have a lot of autonomy, but need to be able to get things done on a schedule. You're not sales, so you don't have to worry about finding clients; but your job is to try to keep the clients that sales finds very happy.

You'll need to be very good technically, as you'll often be designing a complete solution (servers, networking, storage) and need to understand all of the moving parts.

The Good:
Incredibly laid-back culture, with fun office events (beer brewing, chili cook-offs, fantasy football) and a very friendly environment. You'll have a ton of autonomy to learn and research new technologies and to play with dozens of different environments and configurations. You get a nice mix of working with people (if you like that) and implementing technology. The help desk/NOC handles most of the tier 1 tickets, so you're not going to be stuck replacing keyboards or fixing Office all day. Company pays for all certification exams and learning material (books or online courses, not classroom). Very technical staff with a lot of smart people to learn from. Because it's a small company, there's not a lot of red tape or politics to deal with.

The Bad:
It's IT, so there will be OT (not a ton, maybe 4-5 hours a week), and you'll be put into a weekly on-call rotation (have to stay within 1 hour of Santa Barbara at all times during that week). Most clients are between 10 users and 1,000 users, so if you're looking for mega-scale environments, you won't find them. You'll be interfacing with several customers on a regular basis, so you'll need good people skills (introverts tend to not do well at this). Everyone is expected to be familiar with a wide variety of technologies, so you won't be able to form a niche where you're "the Exchange guy" and don't have to handle VMWare installs any more. While you'll often be managing your own schedule, you're also responsible for clocking in a certain number of hours (billable or agreement) per week, so you won't be able to browse the forums full-time.

Email me at madsushi@gmail.com or shoot me a PM

I took a clipping from our ad on CraigsList, which I didn't write (because it's awful):

Would you like to be part of a highly motivated, highly technical team? Would your peers consider you "Sharp" or say that you have "Great Server and Network Problem-Solving Skills?" After you solve a server or networking problem, do you do research to ensure you fully understand all technical aspects of the problem because you naturally want to understand everything IT? CIO Solutions looking for someone that wants to work with the multiple customers and solve the hardest IT problems with a smile. The ideal candidate has 4 years of experience in IT with technologies such as Virtualization, Citrix, Exchange Migrations, SAN Technologies and Layer 2 and Layer 3 Networking Protocols.

CIO Solutions is a Managed Service Provider that also provides Private Cloud Computing Services. We have a talented team that focuses on both technical expertise as well as exceptional customer service. If you can excel in a demanding technical environment and answered yes to the questions above then you might be a great fit for our team. Attached are links to some videos.

Private Cloud -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lef9qNJcI6M
About Us -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5mW8_FBvx4

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Couldn't hurt. I am discouraged at my job. I have no retirement, my medical benefits suck and I am at a glass ceiling really with no where else to go. Its depressing.

My experience: 15+ years in IT. Started out doing small time help desk work for an MSP. Transitioned from there into training where I trained for several years on pretty much every MS product in existence. Earned my MCSE plus a plethora of other MS certs during that time. Very handy running database servers and I have some still active query skills, though they arent deep. Still hold active MCT. Have some experience working as a Senior Systems Engineer at an MSP. Did LOTS of vmware stuff and a ton of active directory/exchange stuff including migrations. I would call myself an AD pro. I've done everything in AD from create user accounts to fixing a directory with usn rollback plus everything in between. Spent the last 5 years as IT director for a small but technologically active long term healthcare company. Done a TON of virtualization work here. Very familiar with vmware in an SMB setup. Same with Hyper-V. Actually have some Xenserver skills as well. Hold my CCNA and working on my CCNP. Also going to class next month and plan on earning my VCP. Pro at using sonicwall devices

What I'm looking for: I want to be part of a team. I run a small shop of guys right now but I am the only one with any advanced knowledge. I want to work with others who are similarly skilled. I also would LOVE to transition to more of a network engineering role but would not mind at all working as a virtualization admin

What I'm NOT looking for: I'd like to move out of Windows administration

Where I live: Southern US

Where I'm looking: Staying home would be great but hard. I would be interested in anything from Dallas/Austin all the way to ATL

When I can start: I have a family and roots that would be tough to pull up but I can start quickly if need be

Can be reached via: trech_em at hotmail

Syano fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 31, 2013

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Testing the waters here, I'm not sure I'm ready to jump ship but I'm interested to know if what I'm looking for is out there.

My experience: About 8 years in IT, mostly as a sysadmin/support guy. My specialty is in Windows, with experience in MSSQL, clustering, IIS, AD, and the usual enterprise-level Microsoft accessories. The notable is exception is Exchange; I do not have any real Exchange experience. I also have a fair bit of experience with VMware and storage technologies, as well as basic networking (should have CCNA sometime this year). I hold an RHCSA but don't get to work on Linux platforms that often so I'm pretty rusty.

What I'm looking for: I'd like to get out of support and into some kind of consulting/presales work. I tried an internal move, but the sales culture here makes it difficult for anyone who isn't totally focused on closing deals, even at the expense of technical integrity.

What I'm NOT looking for: Support/helpdesk. I'd like to be done working tickets.

Where I live: Central Texas

Where I'm looking: Open to discussing all opportunities

When I can start: Probably not immediately, but within a couple months.

Can be reached via: fatman1683 at yahoo

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Sorry if I missed something obvious, but is there a megathread about getting into the software industry? Can't seem to find one in this forum or its subforums. I've been learning programming on the side, and would love to see how others have gone about breaking into the field, especially in a career change context (i.e. the not having an actual degree context).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fugue Stater posted:

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but is there a megathread about getting into the software industry? Can't seem to find one in this forum or its subforums. I've been learning programming on the side, and would love to see how others have gone about breaking into the field, especially in a career change context (i.e. the not having an actual degree context).

It's a sticky in CoC.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Who We Are: Geospatial and mobile enterprise software development and services company

About the company:
Under 150 employees, a mix of commercial and defense contracts working on everything from the usual Big Data stacks to cutting edge geospatial algorithms and pretty interesting mobile frameworks. We're one of Google's top enterprise partners, primarily for Google Earth I think. That more or less represents the three core products built on various stacks. The company cofounders are brothers with engineering backgrounds and even a lot of the folks on business development have engineering backgrounds too. We're one of the top 5 in raw technical talent among defense-heavy companies in the DC region (others being Berico and Palantir), especially given a lot of the top 10 were sold to bigger companies stemming from various challenges in the past couple years.

Where We Are: Arlington, VA / DC but many of our engineers and top contributors work remotely - location isn't as important as talent and enthusiasm. This is mostly because you will likely shift from rather different projects as the company's contracts shift around.

Who We Are Looking For:
Currently looking to fill mostly system integrators but we're always looking for developers anyway (more urgent need for Big Data Java folks that know something about Hadoop and Storm or can pick them up in a few days because the company traditionally had problems with those sorts of devs in the area it seems). We use github, Atlassian stack (sans Bamboo, opting for Jenkins), and Google Apps. Our customers may run all sorts of the usual enterprise garbage from literally last century, but we pick gigs carefully to shield devs from that mess. I'm a senior integrator + software engineer for our big data projects and me and the others would be looking for people that can pick up Puppet / Chef and know enough about Linux to be able to write mostly from memory good OPs in SH/SC and CoC for many of the threads, as a measure of both depth and breadth as well as general communication ability. We hire mostly senior devs but promising junior devs are worth hiring given how much we're growing.

For an enterprise software company, we use very non-traditional stuff - stuff that people that actually get things done use. Django on various backends including Postgres and Redis w/ nginx like what lots of non-enterprise folks use, hacking on MongoDB core, Android + iOS. The Big Data project is for our defense customers though and we're forcibly writing Java... until a customer might cut me loose whereupon I'll go nuts writing Storm bolts as message queues with Scala or something else backend hipster-style. For that project, we're also writing C++ (I've been helping our lead dev ironing out problems with C++11 deployments in an enterprise environment and uncovering gcc bugs galore in the process).

It may be easier to say we don't do: node.js (yet), coffeescript, Ruby on Rails (yet, anyways), Clojure, Haskell, Kotlin, R, Matlab, Visual C++, .NET anything, OS X development, Go, COBOL, Fortran, LISP. Pretty much everything else is on the table.

The Good:
Super-solid health benefits (top 1% in the area for company size and market sector), pretty good "oh, that's nice" benefits (like Apple product discounts, hotel discounts, gym memberships), really flexible work arrangements - a great deal of people work elsewhere in the country, casual atmosphere (my lead dev coworker here literally wears only Hawaiian shirts), lots of similarities in workflow and on-site benefits as Silicon Valley start-ups (choice of Mac or PC, soda / snacks). Good variance in range of employee age / experience / maturity. Lots of company events if you're into hanging out with coworkers even more. People aren't total neckbeards or anything either (wife had a completely different picture of the company based upon me joking about people calling us the pony tail company). Very flat organizational structure, if you can even call it that. Lots of different kinds of work to do at all times - frontend web development all the way to hardcore algorithms R&D basically (we're working on a really neat indexing algorithm that has applications beyond geospatial work). But expect to do a blend of these.

The Bad:
It's mostly on the compensation side for complaints based upon Glassdoor reviews. You're not gonna get pay & God-tier benefits like at Google (we're under 200 employees and not a hedge fund or top-tier law firm, come on) despite that if you're capable of getting in here, you're probably capable of getting a Google offer with some book studying to get past their process. This isn't to say we're stuck-up and elitist or anything though - far from that.

If you want a lot of structure and pre-defined tasks you pound on for a week, you may have problems. You're expected to come in and figure out what should be done a lot of times on most projects and find your way once you get pointed to github, confluence, and JIRA in between your daily status / Scrum meetings. So that's the flip-side of running similar to a start-up - freedom for you to suck at managing your own time.

Lastly, you might wind up working on something like the successor to Prism if that's against your beliefs or code of personal conduct.

E-mail at this point - tech-hiring at t-sciences.com and maybe try to ping me at dkim at t-sciences.com first so I can help get you to the right team lead first depending upon your area of interest / expertise.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
My experience: About five years in IT in total, with most of it being user support. I had one job that was a bit of a mix of user support and basic project management and my most recent job had a large server-side administration component, but was still rather user-support focused.

What I'm looking for: Part-time (20-30 hours a week) support work. I have an idea to start a business that I want to pursue, but it's not very time-intensive, so I think it would be wise to have a steady income alongside it. I could also do temp full-time support work, I'm just hesitant to commit to full-time permanent work. Overnight NOC work or rotating shifts sound appealing too.

What I'm NOT looking for: Not a whole not - if the position is a good fit, I could be flexible on any of the above points.

Where I live: New York City

Where I'm looking: New York City

When I can start: Almost immediately

Can be reached at: forrest.temple@gmail.com

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
My experience: About 1 - 1 1/2 of real admin work in a one-man IT situation, doing everything from VM migration, AD, and sysadmin work to support level. I'm doing studying in my downtime for certs, but haven't gotten there quite yet. I've done project planning and inventory/product quote work also.

What I'm looking for: FT Sysadmin work, preferably a Windows shop. I've been teaching myself as quickly as possible in my one-man situation, and have spent most of it fixing what the last admin screwed up. I'd like to continue that in either a Jr level SysAdmin role, or a lower level admin role.

What I'm NOT looking for: Scrub tier support. I can live with the mid/high level issues, but things like "How do I attach files?" is old. Also I'd prefer somewhere that isn't a non-profit, but I'd be open for discussion on it.

Where I live: New York City

Where I'm looking: New York City

When I can start: Pretty quickly.

Can be reached at: PM.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My Experience: About 4-5 years of small/mid office network wrangling, disaster recovery (help, I spilled a Venti Caramel Frappachino in my computer!), weird setup replacement (You're replacing a 15 year old Packard Bell, it needs to splice into this GPS, this car battery, and THIS antenna.) and general tech support (Sir, perhaps if the lights aren't coming on in your office, you should CALL the physical plant instead of trying to email them.) Two years of that was spent working in a repair shop dealing with all the fun and exciting ways middle class America can obliterate expensive electronics, on site calls for network setup and virus removal and evading small, yappy dogs.

What I'm Looking For: Give me a nice, stable office environment where I can get to know folks and help fix their problems and I'm happy. I love figuring out why computers stop working and reversing that. I'm interested in moving more into the networking side of things but right now I'm very much a hardware and virus removal guy.

What I'm Not Looking For: Pure call center work where I don't actually get to get my mitts on a machine and actively FIX it.

Where I Live: Dallas, TX (more accurately, Far North Dallas)

Where I'm Looking: Dallas, I just moved here.

When Can I Start: PDQ

Can Be Reached At: watkins . jr @ gmail . com

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

We are looking for another developer, our current one is a goon and we have hired a goon into another position before that.

Who: Limestone Networks Inc.
Where: Dallas, TX

Feel free to PM me or add GOON in your subject so we know where it came from.

quote:

PHP/MySQL software developer (Full-time, long term)
Limestone Networks is looking for a talented software developer with a passion for hosting automation, dedicated, and cloud hosting to join our team.

We are looking for a skilled PHP5 programmer to help maintain and develop components for a commercial software product which performs automated hosting management. You will be working along side another developer.

Must Haves:

* proficient in PHP5, Javascript, CSS, HTML, XHTML, and XML
* proficient in object-oriented programming
* proficient in MySQL databases with the ability to develop complex, optimized queries
* basic linux/unix knowledge (using SSH, understanding permissions, can run scripts from the command line, etc.)
* ability to provide at least 40 hours per week at our corporate office in downtown Dallas, TX
* solid written and verbal communications skills
* local to dallas/fort worth area, or willing to relocate

Preferred:

* proficiency in AJAX
* experience working with dedicated hosting backend systems
* experience with systems integration and automation
* experience working as a professional PHP developer
* knowledge of and experience with various browser quirks and oddities

Please submit a resume and a cover-letter in your initial email (please link to any websites you have worked on). The hiring process could consist of several phone interviews, an in-person interview, reference checks, and a review of PHP5 and Javascript code you have written.

Compensation is based on experience and expertise. You will be expected to work a minimum of 40 hours per week. You will be working for a company based in Dallas and working at our offices in downtown Dallas.

This position is with an established 5 year old startup company which has developed advanced hosting automation software. You will be working on the cutting edge of software development in a fun and challenging environment with other people who love their jobs.
Serious inquires only. No recruiters.
Send to employment at limestonenetworks.com

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Quoting myself from a while back, but we are hiring another 30 here in Wichita. Keep in mind the Posting requirements are a bit more HR speak. I've got 0 college degrees and only 3ish years of actual enterprise level of support, including this job.

toplitzin posted:

Who we are: NetApp

Where we are: Wichita, KS and RTP, NC for support operations.

What we are looking for: TSE's on multiple shifts.

How to apply: PM/AIM/Email me so I can put in a referral for you.
AIM is same as username.
Gmail: David.Seltzer at gmail dot com
We are interviewing as we speak.

Feel free to browse our careers site for other opportunities worldwide.
NetApp Careers
Just let me know and I'll gladly put in a referral.

Why you should work here
Did I mention we are #6 on Forbes top 100 places to work? We've been #1 before.
We are an awesome company, with all sorts of awesome benefits Check them out here!
Free Starbucks cappucino, and Starbucks drip everywhere else.
Cheapish eats in said cafeteria. (Today was chicken curry, rice and naan)
Onsite Gym.
Free fruit on Wednesdays.
Free bagels Friday's.
Friday Afternoon Beer Bash

Awesome compensation including insurance, retirement, and stock.
I'm currently in this position now, so we'd be co workers.
There is plenty of opportunity for growth worldwide.
Training happens often, and there are plenty of opportunities for specialization/growth.

Technical Support Engineer
As a Technical Support Engineer you provide support for diagnosing, reproducing, and fixing software and hardware issues. You will troubleshoot protocols running on NetApp hardware to assist customer with problem isolation and resolution. To be successful in this role, you must be a motivated selfstarter and self-learner, possess strong customer service and technical problem solving skills; and be someone who embraces challenges.

Essential Functions:
Resolve Warranty, Top Enterprise and SupportEdge Premium customer problems via the telephone, the web or Autosupport.
- Research customer issues in a timely manner and follow up directly with the
customer with recommendations and action plans.
- Escalate cases to other more senior Technical Support Engineers and/or
Escalation Engineers when the problem is too complex or falls out of specific area of expertise.
- Leverage internal technical expertise, including higher-level engineers, knowledge base, and other internal tools, to provide the most effective solutions to customer issues.
- Create new knowledgebase articles to capture new learnings for reuse throughout
the center.
- Participate in technical communications within the Technical Support Engineering
team to share best practices and learn about new technologies and complimentary storage applications.
- Begin to focus on an area of technical specialization and attend classes, complete lab projects, read and work with other Technical Support Engineers on cases which will help cultivate that expertise.

Job Requirements:
NetApp is looking for a candidate with a Bachelor's Degree or higher and experience administering a SAN/Network environment. Candidate must have in depth file system knowledge. Experience with Windows and Linux server Operating Systems is a
requirement; it would be nice if the candidate also knew Solaris, HP,
or AIX.
A candidate with SAN knowledge/certifications would be ideal. This would include Fibre Channel, SCSI, iSCSI, virtualized environments, and RAID.
The successful candidate would know how to capture Network Trace, using Wireshark, tcpdump, snoop, and possibly even perform trace analysis.

Also:
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal communication and customer service skills are needed in order
work successfully with customers in high stress and or ambiguous situations.
- Basic understanding of some of the following protocols and applications:
- NFS, the UNIX remote file sharing protocol
- CIFS, the Windows NT remote file sharing protocol
- TCP/IP
- Networking
- RAID
- Microsoft Exchange and/or Veritas software.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and understanding how to utilize them in a customer facing environment.
- Ability to follow standard engineering principles and practices.
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Must have at least 1 or more areas of expertise such as: RAID storage, backup and recovery,Exchange DR, Linux, AIX, or networking; including at least 2 years of experience working in that particular specialty.

Responsibility and Interaction:

- The types of tasks this individual is responsible are a mix of structured and unstructured tasks. This individual will apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving routine to moderately complex problems.

- This individual interacts primarily with Staff to Director level employees within the function, and the technical team on assigned projects. There may be communication with employees in other functions as required.

- General direction is provided on routine work, and detailed direction is provided on new projects and assignments; as well as ongoing review of activities and priorities.

- The ideal candidate will be an important contributor or lead on team projects.

Education & Experience: (you know how reqs are, there is flexibility and i never finished college)
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field; or 5 + years of experience in UNIX, Windows networking administration or technical support is required.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How accurate is the pay reported on glassdoor for this job? Curious for a friend back in Kansas

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
My experience: 4-5 years pure Linux engineering, project work, building things from the ground up, and fixing broken environments and owning architecture all by myself. Love scripting in bash or Python, and have experience with config management (puppet), source control (git), cloud (aws ec2, s3, etc.), monitoring (nagios), metrics (ganglia, observium), provisioning tools (cobbler), virtualization (kvm), etc.

What I'm looking for: Senior systems engineer/administrator or DEVops engineer role. Looking to work with cool new devopsy tools, big data tools, and to work with a cool team, or just by myself, to improve my resume. Looking to work with a company that wants to move forward technology wise and not stay stagnant like most companies tend to.

What I'm NOT looking for: Scrub tier support, corporate hell, junior sysadmin ticket support hell

Where I live: Queens

Where I'm looking: Manhattan

When I can start: ASAP

Can be reached at: PM / scottcressi@gmail.com

Megaman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 19, 2013

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
So, I think my company is looking for another helpdesk guy. We had a contractor in to cover a paternity leave and they realized that it's nice to have 2 guys again. It had been officially posted but the posting expired, so I guess we're not officially looking, but I think for the right person we'd be interested.

Who we are: VoIP wholesale and retail company

Where we are: Downtown Cleveland, OH

What we are looking for: Helpdesk guy primarily, with possibly some Windows admin.

How to apply: PM me or email your resume to my username at gmail

Why you should work here: Not gonna lie, it can be a stressful environment, but it's getting better. Your senior/manager is a cool guy, and knows what he's doing. You'll have a ton of autonomy as long as you know what you're doing, and you can probably get your hands into a bunch of stuff.

Health insurance, 401k, parking garages split 50%/50%, vacation/PTO.

You'll be doing new PC rollouts, desk phones, general PC/app repair, Outlook issues, etc. If you know any Windows admin/AD stuff, that's even better. Not super concerned about degrees, if you know what you're doing, experience trumps paper.

There's around 80 people here in Cleveland, and another 100-150 or so people in Seattle, Atlanta and Dallas. There might be some remote support for them, but I think the majority of it will be new equipment or hardware swaps, I believe.

Shoot me a message if you're interested or have any questions!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh hey, in regards to my posting for a .Net developer in Vancouver/Richmond, British Columbia I made earlier, sorry if you guys haven't heard anything. I thought I'd be the new cool and setup a lavabit email address and then welp, a week later the NSA shuts them down. However, anyone who emailed me I passed on their info to our hiring people. I guess if anyone else is interested they can PM or post an email in the thread. I'm going to edit the original post as well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Christ, there's a lot of you goons looking for work. I trolled the spreadsheet and added our openings there but here's some other stuff. Hit me up via PM or Email (SquadronROE at GMAIL dot COM) and I'll try to answer anything I can. I'm not in recruiting but have worked all over the company.

Who we are

Blackbaud is the leader in non-profit software solutions stuff. We have a lot of different products that cover the non-profit sector, but our lead product is an all-encompassing CRM solution that allows places like March of Dimes or Heifer International to track donors and mailings.

What do we want

We're a Microsoft shop, so anything along the lines of the MS stack. Our code is VB.NET/C# with webby bits and all built on a MS SQL database. So, know about that stuff. Here's what we currently are recruiting for, but our job ads on the Blackbaud.com site are up to date.

• Software Engineer – All Levels
• Software Quality Engineer – All Levels
• System Engineer-SDO
• Product Manager
• Technical Writer
• User Experience Designer-All Levels
• Automation Engineer-SDO
• BSM Manager – SDO
• Marketing Program Manager
• Marketing Insights Analyst

Note that SDO is Service Delivery Organization. We offer hosting services for our software, so we have a couple of big datacenters that need management.

Where are we

Blackbaud is headquartered in Charleston, SC but has offices in multiple countries and areas including:

Austin, TX
Sydney, Australia
London, UK
Glasgow, UK
Washington, DC
San Francisco, CA
Cambridge, MA
Indianapolis, IN

Additionally, remote work is a possibility depending on your specific situation (3/5 of my team works remote).

The Good

The people you work with are awesome. The industry we work in is fascinating. We have decent benefits and generous vacation. We are very flexible with work locations and such.

The Bad

Compensation, like most companies, is based on negotiation and can end up being on the low side although this is changing.

More questions

Ask me and we'll talk.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 21, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Where is the company located?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

FISHMANPET posted:

Where is the company located?

Updated the post with that info. Thanks, I knew I forgot something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Indianapolis, IN always throws me off because at first glance I see Minneapolis, MN. The fact that right above was Cambridge, MA, and in a quick scroll through the M replaced the I...

I need a new job (in Minneapolis).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Don't forget just regular old Annapolis too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacozy
May 9, 2013
I was wondering if this would be the most appropriate place to post this, so I did not add it to the spreadsheet.

I would be hoping to find a tutor for my one computer science course the upcoming semester in college. Basically, I would like someone to program alongside. I have had some real-life situations arise which will lessen my amount of free time for studying and programming. Tutoring websites online and provided by my college would require me to drive hours out of my way and I would rather talk/review with someone via Skype or some other platform online. I thought it would be best to be proactive and ask someone here. I would like someone to point out my mistakes, correct my ways of thinking, help me better understand the material, etc.

I can pay a negotiable rate. I will be primarily using Java, Python and SQLite this semester. I would also like to learn how to make a game with someone, so I thought that would be fun for the tutor as well. I have no problem paying for any additional time we use to make the game as well, I am just hoping to learn and would enjoy any help.

Who I am: College student
What I Want: Tutor
Requirements: Experience with Java, Python, SQLite (~2 years is my level, so 3 from you is preferred)
Information: Will be concerned with using databases this semester. Also interested in creating a game. Looking for someone that is interested in teaching and review via Skype.

Please contact me at davartpaul @ gmail . com. I would of course like to emphasize that I am not expecting anyone to do the programming for me.

Lacozy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 22, 2013