Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone know how to remove the top part of an RB2-era drum pedal? Right now I've got this:

I have another pedal where the TOP part broke, so my hope is to take the bottom of that and attach this top part in the picture, to end up with one fully-intact pedal.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Have you tried knocking the pin out of the heel with an awl or something similar?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That's precisely how to do it. It's just held in by friction.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Another hardware maintenance question: Any repair or replacement options for the large buttons on replica Fender Strats? I realize that the colors are interchangeable, but I really don't want to buy whole guitars just to get some spares.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
On the subject of full-size Fender replicas, if anyone is selling one, I am interested.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 releases for July 26, 2013:

The Very Best of Supertramp 6-pack (farottone)
  • Supertramp - "Give a Little Bit" X
  • Supertramp - "Goodbye Stranger" X
  • Supertramp - "It’s Raining Again"
  • Supertramp - "School"
  • Supertramp - "Take the Long Way Home"
  • Supertramp - "The Logical Song" X (includes a "karaoke version")
Singles
  • Del Shannon - "Runaway" X (Nyxyxylyth)

The Supertramp songs join "Breakfast in America", which was released on July 4.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
School and Goodbye Stranger are especially fun, but man, missing Bloody Well Right hurts. Still, great stuff this week.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I... may have to get customs going on my XBox to play this. I love Supertramp that much.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
So....this farottone is a crew of coders right, by golly the guy works fast. (I am a spoiled little princess please do the non-hits, just start from Indelibly Stamped and work you way up, on my desk by monday, have a nice weekend, I'm going golfing)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Douwe posted:

So....this farottone is a crew of coders right, by golly the guy works fast. (I am a spoiled little princess please do the non-hits, just start from Indelibly Stamped and work you way up, on my desk by monday, have a nice weekend, I'm going golfing)

He is insane. I put a little bit in this week's copy about how much work he's done, and he took it out because he didn't want to get special attention over other contributors.

In terms of "number of unique C3 songs authored" (not counting 2x Bass Pedal, Guitar Hero conversions, etc.), the top 5 authors are:

farottone - 57
TrojanNemo - 15
The entire GHtoRB3 team - 14
Nyxyxylyth - 11
DeathThreatUK - 7

He takes his work really seriously and is a cool guy. A+, would work with again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well, looks like Harmonix finally got me to throw money at their merch store. Use coupon code "HMXSALE" for 15% off.

I haven't actually played Blitz since November after I got all the achievements, ironically just before they royally nerfed flame notes :v:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Douwe posted:

Rudy thought / all good things / come to those that wait...

He was wrong.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

whypick1 posted:

Well, looks like Harmonix finally got me to throw money at their merch store. Use coupon code "HMXSALE" for 15% off.

I haven't actually played Blitz since November after I got all the achievements, ironically just before they royally nerfed flame notes :v:

Word is they un-nerfed flame notes after the tournaments ended, so the leaderboards wouldn't be full of unbeatable scores.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Yep, things are back to where they were before, so I've been occasionally working on gold-starring the rest of my songs. I've only got a few left now, and they've all got a keyboard track, which makes flame note spam a little less viable.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Apparently someone found a way to get custom songs in Rock Band 3 for the Wii, when did this happen and why did no one inform me?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

bpc908 posted:

Apparently someone found a way to get custom songs in Rock Band 3 for the Wii, when did this happen and why did no one inform me?

Because you're the first person to know there's a Wii version of Rock Band 3.

(We kid. But seriously, it probably is because no one cares.)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

It's been known for a few months now, but it's still a very inconvenient process. While the Wii RB3 engine can parse just about all the same files that the Xbox version can, you have to make a bunch of compromises with the sound quality (lower sampling rate, folding stereo tracks down to mono, etc) because the Wii isn't strong enough to chug through as many simultaneous audio streams.
As soon as someone automates the process, though, I'm porting all my customs to Wii just for fun.

It's fun to poo poo on Wii, and I've said it before, but the Wii port of RB3 is a really respectable piece of software. You can tell HMX actually tried, and optimized the poo poo out of the game to fit it in there. They even re-designed the Pro Guitar HUD for standard-def displays.

Compare this to, well nearly everything in this. (Be sure to watch through to 1:56 for nightmares. I didn't even know motion capture could get compression artifacts.)

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 31, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Marginally related, I was helping espher out with some RBHP stuff the other day and went through a bunch of Rock Band 2 videos.

I miss RB2 so hard. :( The animations were so much more vibrant than RB3's, especially the vocalist and drummer. Fun fact: Harmonix didn't originally plan to do Pro Guitar AND Pro Keys in RB3 along with the obligatory harmonies upgrade; they were probably going to do one or the other. At some point in the dev process, they realized there wouldn't be a Rock Band 4, so they decided to squish it all into one game. It turned out very well, all things considered, but I suspect it's one of the main reasons we got compromises like crappy All Instruments Mode backgrounds and worse animation quality.

Anyway, if you want to get hit hard by a nostalgia bomb, go search for some RB2 videos.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Everyone knows the second in a trilogy is usually the best.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Dr Zaius posted:

Everyone knows the second in a trilogy is usually the best.

Tell that to Temple of Doom.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

pksage posted:

Marginally related, I was helping espher out with some RBHP stuff the other day and went through a bunch of Rock Band 2 videos.

I miss RB2 so hard. :( The animations were so much more vibrant than RB3's, especially the vocalist and drummer. Fun fact: Harmonix didn't originally plan to do Pro Guitar AND Pro Keys in RB3 along with the obligatory harmonies upgrade; they were probably going to do one or the other. At some point in the dev process, they realized there wouldn't be a Rock Band 4, so they decided to squish it all into one game. It turned out very well, all things considered, but I suspect it's one of the main reasons we got compromises like crappy All Instruments Mode backgrounds and worse animation quality.

Anyway, if you want to get hit hard by a nostalgia bomb, go search for some RB2 videos.

I think part of this is because RB3 reuses a whole bunch of RB2 animations, but the game runs at a different framerate and has a slightly different style. Rock Band 2's graphic backgrounds ran at a noticeably low "theatrical" framerate (except the music videos, which ran at full 60 FPS and are almost disorientingly smooth compared to the other venues). Rock Band 3 doesn't run at 60, but is something notably higher than RB2 (may be capped at 30 or something). I think porting the old motion capture shots from RB2 over to RB3 made them look a lot cheaper because the capture was intentionally done at a low temporal resolution for RB2's graphics and had to be smoothed out for RB3. This seems extra apparent when you consider how many of the "new" shots (ones with keyboards) move so much better because they were made native to the RB3 engine. Oh, wait, keys has its own problems...

E: The thing I miss the most going from RB2 to RB3 is the vocalist finger waggle animation. Why did they take that one? :(

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Rack posted:

Tell that to Temple of Doom.

Not a trilogy, as much as we'd all love to forget part 4.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Binowru posted:

Not a trilogy, as much as we'd all love to forget part 4.

Indiana Jones and the Bonus Material?
At least, that's what disc 4 of my Indie box set is. :colbert:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for August 2, 2013:

U2 7-pack (Ollie)
  • U2 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
  • U2 - "New Year's Day"
  • U2 - "One"
  • U2 - "Pride (In the Name of Love)"
  • U2 - "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
  • U2 - "Where the Streets Have No Name"
  • U2 - "With or Without You"
Singles
  • Cursive - "The Martyr" (thewinnerisgeeg)
  • Fall Out Boy - "Tell That Mick He Made My List of Things to Do Today" (uSound)
  • Nightwish - "Nemo" (RyanHYK)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh gross, U2

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Kaboobi posted:

Oh gross, U2

I may download them just to delete them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Kick rear end!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Hey Nemo. Cool.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Next week features a pack from me, so you know it'll be awesome. :smug::c00lbert::smug:

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I may or may not be considering some custom song action as a delivery method for a wedding proposal. what the gently caress is wrong with me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Awesome week! :)

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Haters go home. I love me some U2. Holy poo poo this is awesome!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

pksage posted:

Next week features a pack from me, so you know it'll be awesome. :smug::c00lbert::smug:
Electric Six pack 02??

I still remember that cruel joke.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

DancinBrud posted:

Electric Six pack 02??

He owes us after that letdown. :colbert:

The T
May 29, 2010

DancinBrud posted:

Electric Six pack 02??

"The Electric Six pack! That's right, 6 songs from great electronica groups..."

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

pksage posted:

This, but with me.

Fake Edit: Good thing too because some guy sent my blog some smarmy message about "disappointing" him by missing another Friday.
Seriously, the level of entitlement some non-authors project.

The T
May 29, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

Fake Edit: Good thing too because some guy sent my blog some smarmy message about "disappointing" him by missing another Friday.

gently caress them. Authoring is a lot of hard work that you do for fun as a hobby. Tell them that, and if they're still a snobby poo poo about it, gently caress them.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Orange Harrison posted:

This, but with me.

More Beatles? :allears:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
It's not Electric Six, but real talk, at least "Down at McDonnellzzzz" will happen at some point in 2013. Any other requests? I was thinking of doing a 3-pack with that, Danger! High Voltage (because you kind of have to), and...something. Dance Pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

pksage posted:

It's not Electric Six, but real talk, at least "Down at McDonnellzzzz" will happen at some point in 2013. Any other requests? I was thinking of doing a 3-pack with that, Danger! High Voltage (because you kind of have to), and...something. Dance Pattern?

There's too many songs for me to pick from, but I Buy the Drugs, Infected Girls, and Clusterfuck are at the top of my list.

• Locked thread