Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Come to think of it, she looks a bit like Nicolas Cage in a wig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Drifter posted:

I think the character art's fine however it is; the animation seems unresponsive and overly ~heavy~, in spite of how smooth it may be.
Yeah, I think Earthworm Jim had the same problem.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
American McGee cancelled the OZombie earlier since it wasn't doing well and he had the chance to grab rights for Alice shortfilms, thus Alice: Otherlands kickstarter. With 55 hours left, it's received 166k out of $200,000 and is trending towards 185k, so it's gonna be a close call with a last push. Funding this would apparently help getting closer to a feature-length Alice film and possibly a third Alice game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Dungeonmans is closing in on a stretch goal with 8 hours to go. I'm just glad the thing funded, though stretch goals would be a nice bonus. I want to see what this Mystery Class is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping for the Handsmans, because every roguelike needs a monk-style class.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
No stretch goals for Dungeonmans :(

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Whatever happened to the Arkh Project? Their Tumblr account's been inactive for half a month and prior to that it's mostly signal-boosting minority-focused crowdfunding campaigns. Details of the game itself seem to have dried up unless they've set up shop elsewhere?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If we're thinking of the same 'project', it was obvious from the beginning that they were never going to release a functional game.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

StevenM posted:

Whatever happened to the Arkh Project? Their Tumblr account's been inactive for half a month and prior to that it's mostly signal-boosting minority-focused crowdfunding campaigns. Details of the game itself seem to have dried up unless they've set up shop elsewhere?

Apparently the person behind it has a history of creating fake projects to scam money out of people.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 30, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jesto posted:

Maybe someone could ask him if he intends to add that stuff post-release as DLC or free updates? Just because a stretch goal wasn't reached doesn't mean it anything but that it won't be in the initial release.

I hope.
From the wording in the kickstarter I got the notion that it was all stuff he wanted to add eventually but the stretch goals will let him make a more focused effort on adding those things, so it'd get added sooner.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

StevenM posted:

Arkh was a pretty thinly-veiled scam from day one.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

StevenM posted:

Riley had no intention of releasing a game at all and every piece of concept art was cribbed from something else. This seems to be something he does.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They're also pretty much entirely incompetent, so even if they had tried to make the game, you still wouldn't see anything come out.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jesto posted:

Maybe someone could ask him if he intends to add that stuff post-release as DLC or free updates? Just because a stretch goal wasn't reached doesn't mean it anything but that it won't be in the initial release.

I hope.

Hi it's me! I am the one you can ask.

All of those things are possible, with the exception of the Airship and probably the Jungle. I just won't have the coin for the extra art. But I would really like to get dmans to mac and linux, and we will certainly see an upgraded Academy development path.

As for DLC and Updates, I'll let you know when I have something more concrete than d:\dungeonmans\unrealistic_dungeonmans_ideas.txt :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Install Windows posted:

They're also pretty much entirely incompetent, so even if they had tried to make the game, you still wouldn't see anything come out.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
^^^Isn't that a troll image from 4chan?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Poe's law strikes again.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

RottenK posted:

^^^Isn't that a troll image from 4chan?

I don't remember where it's from but, yeah, it's a joke.

ZebAtlasFanClub
Feb 13, 2013
So been looking at the Kickstarter for Divergence. It seems like the perfect kind of game. FFA loot, open world, Perma Death, destroy other people's property. However the project owner won't answer simple questions like when he expects the game to come out, what the combat looks like, or what the pay model will be. He has no problems asking for hundreds of dollars though for certain characters.

Out of all this the thing that upsets him most apparently is people who pledge 1 dollar to talk since it brings down his average:

"On a financial note, if you're thinking about pledging $1 for the privilege of being able to leave a comment, please don't. I rely on my ability to say that our average contribution was above average because our fans are awesome but the occasional $1 ones murder that and i'd refund these if I could. However Kickstarter says I cannot raise this amount nor can I do that, so I'm asking people to not do that."

It could end up a great game, maybe one of the best since SWG(which the game hopes to be). Just seems like a lot of red flags though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372333499/divergence-online

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't Kickstart MMOs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't Kickstart MMOs.

Especially ones that sound like glorified sociopathy simulators.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Seashell Salesman posted:

Pretty much what it was being advertised as, mind. :v:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

The obvious tell is the lack of 'cis' anywhere in the text.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

But obviously making the game involves computers, why would they advertise their information systems skills?
:downsgun:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZebAtlasFanClub posted:

So been looking at the Kickstarter for Divergence. It seems like the perfect kind of game. FFA loot, open world, Perma Death, destroy other people's property. However the project owner won't answer simple questions like when he expects the game to come out, what the combat looks like, or what the pay model will be. He has no problems asking for hundreds of dollars though for certain characters.

Out of all this the thing that upsets him most apparently is people who pledge 1 dollar to talk since it brings down his average:

"On a financial note, if you're thinking about pledging $1 for the privilege of being able to leave a comment, please don't. I rely on my ability to say that our average contribution was above average because our fans are awesome but the occasional $1 ones murder that and i'd refund these if I could. However Kickstarter says I cannot raise this amount nor can I do that, so I'm asking people to not do that."

It could end up a great game, maybe one of the best since SWG(which the game hopes to be). Just seems like a lot of red flags though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372333499/divergence-online

Wow, it's like someone looked at EVE Online and thought it wasn't enough of a dystopian libertarian free-for-all, and didn't have enough eugenics. I wouldn't fund this creep even if I thought he had a fart's chance in hell of completing the project.

Megazver posted:

Hey, could we not go down this road please? Just because the Arkh Project was a scam run by a con artist gently caress, doesn't mean you have to go attacking anything the project associated itself with. And 'cis' is a neutral term anyway, has the same use as 'straight' 'gay' or 'trans', it's not an insult or derogatory term at all.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 4, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Wow, it's like someone looked at EVE Online and thought it wasn't enough of a dystopian libertarian free-for-all, and didn't have enough eugenics. I wouldn't fund this creep even if I thought he had a fart's chance in hell of completing the project.

Hey, could we not go down this road please? Just because the Arkh Project was a scam run by a con artist gently caress, doesn't mean you have to go attacking anything the project associated itself with. And 'cis' is a neutral term anyway, has the same use as 'straight' 'gay' or 'trans', it's not an insult or derogatory term at all.

The free for all, cutthroat, clusterfuck of EVE is really its saving grace. The reason EVE sucks is the boring game play. That said, don't kickstart MMOs.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A Steampunk Gent posted:

And 'cis' is a neutral term anyway, has the same use as 'straight' 'gay' or 'trans', it's not an insult or derogatory term at all.

That's true, but it also paints someone who uses it unironically as one who can be ignored.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's true, but it also paints someone who uses it unironically as one who can be ignored.
Yeah, no. That discussion stops right here.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Huge companies spending tens of millions of dollars routinely fail miserably at even the technical merits of MMOs. Obviously a gaggle of adorable indie misfits on a shoestring budget will be able one-up them, because life is just like the movies.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

ZebAtlasFanClub posted:

I had to read that four times. I can't believe it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

madjackmcmad posted:

Sounds like a person I would trust to make an MMO! You don't need math skills for those, do you?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

ZebAtlasFanClub posted:

So been looking at the Kickstarter for Divergence. It seems like the perfect kind of game.

Divergence Kickstarter posted:

Pledge $20 or more

1 backer

Trolls your friends! Disrespect your friends and their furniture in style with several classic emotes including the infamous “@#$% Yo’ Couch” and “Slow Jerk” emotes. Just remember that you NEVER make eye contact! (additional emotes to be added)

A man with a vision for the future of video gaming.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's weird that in 2013 people still think they can make MMOs by themselves. You'd think they'd have learned in the past 13 years that MMOs are expensive as poo poo and require extensive coding far beyond the average game.

It's like the yearly "We're the Everquest/WoW killer!" releases that failed despite being given wheelbarrows of money never happened in their world.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

madjackmcmad posted:

In for a 1 dollar pledge now.

Edit: I could have sworn I saw a 1 dollar pledge level when I looked but apparently there is not one. That is too bad.

Krabkolash fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 4, 2013

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Sankis posted:

It's weird that in 2013 people still think they can make MMOs by themselves. You'd think they'd have learned in the past 13 years that MMOs are expensive as poo poo and require extensive coding far beyond the average game.

It's like the yearly "We're the Everquest/WoW killer!" releases that failed despite being given wheelbarrows of money never happened in their world.

As someone who got a degree in game design (and then switched to traditional software development), you have no idea how many kids show up freshman year with their idea for an MMO they're totally gonna make that'll be the best, most open and dynamic MMO ever. And they really do think they can do it themselves. gently caress, one kid spent four years working on his MMO built entirely in Blender.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ZebAtlasFanClub posted:

It could end up a great game

You sound like the perfect spokesman for my bridge-purchasing kickstarter.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised Sonys new take on Everquest isn't a bloody kickckstarter. Everything else about it sounds like one.

It's like Minecraft but it's Guild Warsy and you can build the whole world! Also, there's proper PVP.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

CaptCommy posted:

As someone who got a degree in game design (and then switched to traditional software development), you have no idea how many kids show up freshman year with their idea for an MMO they're totally gonna make that'll be the best, most open and dynamic MMO ever. And they really do think they can do it themselves. gently caress, one kid spent four years working on his MMO built entirely in Blender.

Please tell me that the instructor(s) for these courses beat into their heads what an awful idea it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Especially ones that sound like glorified sociopathy simulators.
Or ones that think a whopping $15k is enough to fund development of a loving MMO.

Also, putting add-ons as actual pledge levels? :confused: