Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

dotalchemy posted:

Ah, did the map get reset last night?

Serious Train Business isn't there anymore, railroads and airports gone, plus no listing in the Company list on join. Does this happen often?

It does if your company goes bankrupt somehow :(. I know he reset the map to make Europe, I laidd some track and stations for maybe 20-30 minutes after he started it, then I believe he remade the map *one* more time at that point and I had to redo it with new industries. But I may be mis-remembering.

Somehow my company password is not what I thought it was anymore, I was last able to join it this morning :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Neurion posted:

An alien world:

Is that the map from Alpha Centauri? I guess mars mode does have a purpose

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Silento Boborachi posted:

Is that the map from Alpha Centauri? I guess mars mode does have a purpose

Why, yes it is!

Also, last night, I forget who I told this tip because my memory's kind of poo poo, but I figured I'd share it with the rest of you in case you folks don't know.

When you clone a train, truck, or any other vehicle, if you hold down CTRL as you press the Clone Vehicle button, the new vehicle and the original will now have Shared Orders. If you then edit the orders of one it will affect the other. This is very useful for managing large fleets of vehicles that have the same routes. If you tweak the route later on, you only have to edit one of the vehicles that shares the orders.

This was especially useful for me when I added a waypoint station to my highway network.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

ChubbyPitbull posted:

It does if your company goes bankrupt somehow :(. I know he reset the map to make Europe, I laidd some track and stations for maybe 20-30 minutes after he started it, then I believe he remade the map *one* more time at that point and I had to redo it with new industries. But I may be mis-remembering.

Somehow my company password is not what I thought it was anymore, I was last able to join it this morning :(.

I guess there was an issue with my trains, as when I logged off they were making a steady profit and the industry is still there. Clearly I have a lot to learn about signalling! I'll rebuild later and see if I can figure out what was going down. I guess I tried to be too complex with too little of an understanding.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

dotalchemy posted:

I guess there was an issue with my trains, as when I logged off they were making a steady profit and the industry is still there. Clearly I have a lot to learn about signalling! I'll rebuild later and see if I can figure out what was going down. I guess I tried to be too complex with too little of an understanding.

Yeah, I do the same thing! What killed me was over-saturation of the line and poor design. One-way track setups seem to be mandatory once multiple trains are involved; I had been lazily doing two-ways with sidings and detours, but it was only a matter of time before 2 coming one way met two coming the other way and clogged the line forever.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Yeah, I do the same thing! What killed me was over-saturation of the line and poor design. One-way track setups seem to be mandatory once multiple trains are involved; I had been lazily doing two-ways with sidings and detours, but it was only a matter of time before 2 coming one way met two coming the other way and clogged the line forever.

That's exactly what happened to your company last night. My truck drivers had excellent views of your train engineers leaning out of their cabs and yelling at each other with very colorful language.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

Neurion posted:

That's exactly what happened to your company last night. My truck drivers had excellent views of your train engineers leaning out of their cabs and yelling at each other with very colorful language.

Hahaha arg! Where's the NewGRF that adds phone/text/email alerts for deadlocked trains??

Blessing in disguise really, allowed me to rebuild leaner, meaner, and smarter. I remember when Dwarf Fortress was being trumpeted everywhere the catchphrase was "Losing is Fun!", but with OpenTTD it really does seem that way since you can start again and continually apply new things you learned about the game. Plus, at least with the rules on this server, getting back on your feet isn't *too* difficult, not even counting the massive grants other players often willingly donate to struggling companies.

Thanks for allowing for space for my tracks with your highways! Now if I could just remember my company password...

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

there's some kinda of vile sorcery that always ruins my chances to get back into this game, the newstations grf version I have matches what the server is running but it says matching file not found. GRF ID matches, MD5sum does not match. I just downloaded it from the author's website not the dropbox link here because it tries to open that file instead of downloading it.

Computers are hard, I just want to destroy the environment cart coal around :(

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

Silento Boborachi posted:

I just want to destroy the environment cart coal around :(

Thank God that you're not tasked with advertising the game to new players!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-15-transport-tycoon-to-be-revitalised-for-ios-and-android-this-year

Confirmed by the big man himself that it'll be a one off purchase! This is awesome, loving awesome, news. I was dreading it being "Would you like to take a loan from the bank for $0.99?", "Expand your region by 64x64 for just $2.00!"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dotalchemy posted:

Thank God that you're not tasked with advertising the game to new players!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-15-transport-tycoon-to-be-revitalised-for-ios-and-android-this-year

Confirmed by the big man himself that it'll be a one off purchase! This is awesome, loving awesome, news. I was dreading it being "Would you like to take a loan from the bank for $0.99?", "Expand your region by 64x64 for just $2.00!"

Ugh, it looks like he's sticking to the RCT/Locomotion! side of things.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

~SMcD
Yah, it's not a like-for-like remake, which is really a shame as the two most endearing things (in my opinion) with original TT are the cute, almost cartoon, like graphics and the awesome soundtrack. I actually have the TT soundtrack on my iPhone...

Still, it'd doubtless going to be infinitely better than any of the existing microtransaction city / world builders on iOS.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
This is useful for people who haven't used the trainset before:

meanwhile on the server, things are getting a bit silly:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

less than three posted:

Ugh, it looks like he's sticking to the RCT/Locomotion! side of things.

Honestly, I'd love it if there was something more towards the Railroad Tycoon style of play, but really I'll take literally anything on mobile that isn't freemium garbage.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Heightmaps are awesome. Thanks three.

edit: fess up, which one of you is trying to use openttd-coop-style logic gates?

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

sincx posted:

Heightmaps are awesome. Thanks three.

Yeah! All the hills were a bit daunting but it was fun having to think more about placement before getting enough money to level the map. I think if it's possible to make the next one bigger that would be good, it seems like we have more people playing, and the existing people can get some pretty large, elaborate networks pretty fast!

Is the no-towns-at-start thing a side effect of using a height map?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

~SMcD

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Yeah! All the hills were a bit daunting but it was fun having to think more about placement before getting enough money to level the map. I think if it's possible to make the next one bigger that would be good, it seems like we have more people playing, and the existing people can get some pretty large, elaborate networks pretty fast!

Is the no-towns-at-start thing a side effect of using a height map?

I noticed that. I thought Europe was looking pretty sparse in terms of 1940's population.

Bigger maps would be my preference too - as big as they come, really. The Europe one was a little tight, in terms of sprawl for rail networks, although that may just be because I'm not used to playing with companies who actually build functional rail networks.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

dotalchemy posted:

I noticed that. I thought Europe was looking pretty sparse in terms of 1940's population.

Bigger maps would be my preference too - as big as they come, really. The Europe one was a little tight, in terms of sprawl for rail networks, although that may just be because I'm not used to playing with companies who actually build functional rail networks.

Some day I will be that company. But it is not this day.

When I was on way late last night lessthanthree popped on; said he may be resetting the map to a new one later tonight around ~8:30 PM EST.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm piddling around in a single-player map and have two largish cities right next to each other (3500 or so residents each). I've set up a ring around the two cities with the aim of modeling something similar to Berlin's Ringbahn (basically a ring-shaped light rail intracity line). Right now I've got two trains running between the two, but I'd like them to be timed so that the trains are always opposite each other - when Train 1 arrives at Station A, I want Train 2 to be arriving at Station B.

Someone mentioned that there were timetables or something built into the game and that I might be able to set this up, but I have no idea how. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

~SMcD

Drone posted:

I'm piddling around in a single-player map and have two largish cities right next to each other (3500 or so residents each). I've set up a ring around the two cities with the aim of modeling something similar to Berlin's Ringbahn (basically a ring-shaped light rail intracity line). Right now I've got two trains running between the two, but I'd like them to be timed so that the trains are always opposite each other - when Train 1 arrives at Station A, I want Train 2 to be arriving at Station B.

Someone mentioned that there were timetables or something built into the game and that I might be able to set this up, but I have no idea how. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

http://wiki.openttd.org/Timetable

Also, that'd be a pretty cool little setup - you need to make sure you have a route going straight through the middle for it to really be the S-Bahn though, out to an airport at one end :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dotalchemy posted:

http://wiki.openttd.org/Timetable

Also, that'd be a pretty cool little setup - you need to make sure you have a route going straight through the middle for it to really be the S-Bahn though, out to an airport at one end :)

Have to make sure that airport never has any departures or arrivals in order for it to be remotely accurate.

Timetables look like a pain in the rear end to set up but I might play around with it a bit more later to see if I can get something decent. It also strikes me that a subway-style system of lines and grid wouldn't be that hard to implement either.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why are there two Copenhagen (Copenhagii? Copenhagens?) on the map! You monsters.

Anyways. I will be wiping for a North America map in about 2 hours. I'll work to make this one a bigger size.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

less than three posted:

Why are there two Copenhagen (Copenhagii? Copenhagens?) on the map! You monsters.

Towns named Copenhagen :eng101:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
New game is up.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

less than three posted:

New game is up.

Are you making £50 mil a year yet? Or is an employee? :)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm trying to join the server, but it keeps saying I'm missing NewStations 0.51, which I already have in the grfs folder :confused:

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Zeether posted:

I'm trying to join the server, but it keeps saying I'm missing NewStations 0.51, which I already have in the grfs folder :confused:

Make sure you are using this one:

I couldn't get the one from the website working for whatever reason.

Also, Tyrell Corp is going to brankrupt in a few years. You're losing about $2mil a year.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bluecobra posted:

Make sure you are using this one:

I couldn't get the one from the website working for whatever reason.

Also, Tyrell Corp is going to brankrupt in a few years. You're losing about $2mil a year.

Yeah for some reason my main station is broken and I can't figure out how to fix it. The company doesn't have a password so if anyone wants to give it a go they're more than welcome.

Which really blows because for awhile I was #1 in operating profit, then decided to go run errands and I come back to massive stoppage on my railways.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Guess who had to clean up Tyrell's mess after thinking it would be a great idea to buy the company for $2?

Also, worst idea for a station signal layout ever:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So are people actually playing this now?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zeether posted:

In my defense, that one wasn't one of mine. Someone else must have joined Tyrell and done that in an effort to make it profitable without actually fixing the problem.

SkySteak posted:

So are people actually playing this now?

There were like 6 people on the server earlier, so I think it just depends heavily on day of the week and time zones.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Drone posted:

In my defense, that one wasn't one of mine. Someone else must have joined Tyrell and done that in an effort to make it profitable without actually fixing the problem.
That was me before I got the offer to join Tyrell. Then I noticed my money going red.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Does anyone have a nightly link for older nightlies?? I need the server version nightly(25613) for MAC OSX and I can't get the OpenTTD binaries website to work. If all else fails I'll use my dropbox'd version of the windows one and try Wine tonight.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Virigoth posted:

Does anyone have a nightly link for older nightlies?? I need the server version nightly(25613) for MAC OSX and I can't get the OpenTTD binaries website to work. If all else fails I'll use my dropbox'd version of the windows one and try Wine tonight.

Here's every nightly they host: http://us.binaries.openttd.org/binaries/nightlies/trunk/index.html

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The wiki link left was way offff:

us.binaries.openttd.org.index.html

Thanks for the right one!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Maybe I'm just thick/sleep-deprived but I still can't figure out how path signals actually work after reading the OpenTTD wiki (which seems to be purposefully dense). Is anyone able to break it down in some Path Signals For Dummies, a la the pre-signal cartoons posted in the OP?

I determined that the failure of Tyrell Corporation was mostly do to me not having any idea whatsoever how path signals are supposed to work, so in the end they jammed up real nice.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Drone posted:

Maybe I'm just thick/sleep-deprived but I still can't figure out how path signals actually work after reading the OpenTTD wiki (which seems to be purposefully dense). Is anyone able to break it down in some Path Signals For Dummies, a la the pre-signal cartoons posted in the OP?

I determined that the failure of Tyrell Corporation was mostly do to me not having any idea whatsoever how path signals are supposed to work, so in the end they jammed up real nice.

Turn on "Show reserved paths" in the advanced settings menu if you haven't already. Most importantly though, a train stopped at any of your path signals should never block the path of another train unnecessarily, as this is how the worst lockups happen. Essentially this boils down to deciding a maximum train length for your network, and counting on that many squares from any possible conflict point and placing the last signal there. You'll realise there's exceptions to this with a bit of trial and error - for example, it might be acceptable to allow mainline traffic to block branch line traffic as it's probably not going to be for very long and avoids a signal spacing capacity bottleneck on the main line - but for now follow the "safe waiting area" principle and the problems will start to go away.

Finally, it's best to think of path signals as always one-way, in the sense that they'll only stop trains coming from a single direction. However, the one without the little sign on it will allow trains to pass in the opposite direction (although they incur a slight pathfinder penalty, which is often irrelevant or what you want.) The latter type are useful at stations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drone posted:

Path signals declare that the block of tracks after the signal (the sequence of tracks from that signal to the next signal or to the termination of the track) should be traversed by reserving a path and travelling down it.

So imagine something like your normal everyday presignal station entrance with 3 platforms, you have the presignal entry signal and then 3 presignal exit signals, one for each platform, and three regular block signals (the kind that isn't special, just the light) on the exits of each platform.

Converting that to a path based entrance would be as simple as removing the presignal exit signals and replacing the entry signal with a path signal. Now what happens when a train encounters the path signal is it tries reserving a path, so let's say the platform furthest on the left is free, so the train will reserve that path and travel down it. Now when the next train hits the path signal and the first train is still in its platform it'll try reserving a path, it can't reserve the leftmost platform since a train is already there, but the tracks next to it leading to the other two platforms are free so it'll reserve one of those.

If all three platforms were full then a train hitting the signal wouldn't be able to reserve any path since the paths to the next block (another signal or a track termination) have trains in them, so the train would just wait until it can reserve a path.

Now with that you can just design complex track pieces based off the paths of the tracks instead of trying to work with the rules of presignals, you just lay down the track so that the paths make sense and let trains reserve them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zeether posted:

Guess who had to clean up Tyrell's mess after thinking it would be a great idea to buy the company for $2?

So to be clear, the problem with this is how tight the turns are? Or is it something else?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

piratepilates posted:

Path signals declare that the block of tracks after the signal (the sequence of tracks from that signal to the next signal or to the termination of the track) should be traversed by reserving a path and travelling down it.

So imagine something like your normal everyday presignal station entrance with 3 platforms, you have the presignal entry signal and then 3 presignal exit signals, one for each platform, and three regular block signals (the kind that isn't special, just the light) on the exits of each platform.

Converting that to a path based entrance would be as simple as removing the presignal exit signals and replacing the entry signal with a path signal. Now what happens when a train encounters the path signal is it tries reserving a path, so let's say the platform furthest on the left is free, so the train will reserve that path and travel down it. Now when the next train hits the path signal and the first train is still in its platform it'll try reserving a path, it can't reserve the leftmost platform since a train is already there, but the tracks next to it leading to the other two platforms are free so it'll reserve one of those.

If all three platforms were full then a train hitting the signal wouldn't be able to reserve any path since the paths to the next block (another signal or a track termination) have trains in them, so the train would just wait until it can reserve a path.

Now with that you can just design complex track pieces based off the paths of the tracks instead of trying to work with the rules of presignals, you just lay down the track so that the paths make sense and let trains reserve them.

This rules, thank you. So what are the differences between your normal path signal and the one with the little white and red bar underneath it? I took that to mean it was analogous to a pre-signal entry but I guess I'm way wrong on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

FISHMANPET posted:

So to be clear, the problem with this is how tight the turns are? Or is it something else?

His signals are silly. He has the entry presignal setup right, but he doesn't actually have both silver ones set up at the station entrance. So it's just kinda useless.

(I think. :shobon:)

• Locked thread