Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Given she doesn't have Titan regeneration, she'd be her own thing. And while I don't regard 'combat cyborg Mikasa' as ideal, it'd be better than making her a Titan, I guess. I personally remain fond of the idea that she achieved murder-enlightenment killing that one dude as a child and hasn't looked back since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lestaki posted:

Given she doesn't have Titan regeneration, she'd be her own thing

How can you be so sure?

I have seen no indication that Eren had regeneration before transforming into a titan for the first time.

Its quite unlikely that he never got hurt before.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 30, 2017

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can you be so sure?

I have seen no indication that Eren had regeneration before transforming into a titan for the first time.

Its quite unlikely that he never got hurt before.

Yes, scroll up, we've had that conversation at length. We are now talking about Mikasa being a human-sized 'pseudo-titan' combat cyborg instead of a titan pilot for whatever reason, and I was pointing out that we know Mikasa doesn't regenerate, so if that's the case, there's very little resemblance between her and a 'normal' titan pilot.

Levi is surely the best argument against Mikasa being 'special' in a Titan-related sense, since he is also a ridiculously strong human.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: Oh god, I just remember that they added a lightning transformation for Mikasa in the anime. I guess that's that.
Same color as all the other titan transformations too! :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why, her being a cyborg isn't so far-fetched. She already fairly resembles another well-known cyborg who uses extremely sharp unconventional swords to defeat foes much larger than her. Why, soon enough she'll be sprouting Titan Blades from her arms instead of using those pesky exacto-swords. It all fits, you see!

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was watching the anime yesterday and I noticed that, in the new credits clip, on that scene where we have everybody standing by a wall, everyone on the left side o the wall (Annie, Reiner, Berthold, Ymir and Christa) is a titan.. except Christa.

I wonder if it means something or its just a coincidence.

Also, the last episode was really good, probably the best so far.

EDIT: by the way, why they changed "Rivaille" to "Levi"?

Probably because "aille" in French makes a sound like "eye" in English and the usual l-r swap.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Gotta say, this is the first time in a long while I've actually actively followed a manga. Last one was Fullmetal Alchemist. I got my sister hooked on this show too. She hasn't read the comic at all, just watched the episodes, and now she's bugging me. "Does X die?" "I hope Y doesn't gently caress up."

Do we think the good doctor has been experimenting on himself as well? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he has a mega titan form of some sort.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Missing Name posted:

Do we think the good doctor has been experimenting on himself as well? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he has a mega titan form of some sort.

I have a feeling that SnK isn't going to go down the power creep road. The good doctor will definitely show up again, but I would be amazed if he was a villain or super-titan.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Missing Name posted:

Gotta say, this is the first time in a long while I've actually actively followed a manga. Last one was Fullmetal Alchemist. I got my sister hooked on this show too. She hasn't read the comic at all, just watched the episodes, and now she's bugging me. "Does X die?" "I hope Y doesn't gently caress up."

I recently got my younger cousin into the show, and he was surprising me with what he was asking. When he saw the Colossal Titan in Episode 1 he asked "Is that the leader/creator of the other titans?" and when Hannes tried confronting the titan that ate Eren's mom he asked if he was scared because the titan was/looked like one of his comrades.

They weren't completely on the mark, but it was interesting that he was thinking as close as the threads have been only on the first episode. I was doing my best to give him answers that gave him credit without giving too much away.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Zeikier posted:

I recently got my younger cousin into the show, and he was surprising me with what he was asking. When he saw the Colossal Titan in Episode 1 he asked "Is that the leader/creator of the other titans?" and when Hannes tried confronting the titan that ate Eren's mom he asked if he was scared because the titan was/looked like one of his comrades.

They weren't completely on the mark, but it was interesting that he was thinking as close as the threads have been only on the first episode. I was doing my best to give him answers that gave him credit without giving too much away.

My older sister. (Something to do with lovely internet.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

Why, her being a cyborg isn't so far-fetched. She already fairly resembles another well-known cyborg who uses extremely sharp unconventional swords to defeat foes much larger than her. Why, soon enough she'll be sprouting Titan Blades from her arms instead of using those pesky exacto-swords. It all fits, you see!

Eren's father is actually Desty Nova. The basement is full of failed human/titan hybrid monstrosities, forever clamoring for release from their eternal torment. We are all doomed. :gonk:

v- That was me, I think. :blush: -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 3, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like someone has already made a "Titans are flan" joke at some point in this thread.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Missing Name posted:

A lot of people were trying to say the ape titan was the doctor since they had similar hair or something silly

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Missing Name posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he has a mega titan form of some sort.
Naw, a mega titan already exists and it's called the Colossal Titan. It's like eight times the weight class of the next biggest titan, can shoot steam out of its back, and is seemingly invincible. It does seem to be somewhat immobile, though; it looks like it's going to collapse under its own weight despite the lightness of titans (a bipedal creature of that size would probably crumple as soon as it tried to stand up but who knows what sorcery made the titans). Maybe Colossal is only good for demolishing a lot of stuff in one location while the smaller ones pick through the rubble? Eren's dad or Sasquatch might know more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Something similar in that vein might be foreshadowed actually. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c044/2.html Annie's reaction to Eren's questioning may be her taking a moment to think of a way to move the topic away from her hidden abilities.

That's not the only foreshadowing in that part. Apparently the Bert Bomber wasn't the first time Eren took a human-titan body slam. :v:

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

Naw, a mega titan already exists and it's called the Colossal Titan. It's like eight times the weight class of the next biggest titan, can shoot steam out of its back, and is seemingly invincible. It does seem to be somewhat immobile, though; it looks like it's going to collapse under its own weight despite the lightness of titans (a bipedal creature of that size would probably crumple as soon as it tried to stand up but who knows what sorcery made the titans). Maybe Colossal is only good for demolishing a lot of stuff in one location while the smaller ones pick through the rubble? Eren's dad or Sasquatch might know more.

Colossal is actually a pretty rubbish Titan. It's stated to be slow and clumsy and even Eren of all people could reach its neck using 3d gear. It's just really goddamn big and has steam magic.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Thoren posted:

Titan-shifter? I thought we agreed on calling them pilots :colbert:

The humans are actually just small titans / EVA units and are pilotted by even smaller and even whineier humans that complain about everything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lestaki posted:

Colossal is actually a pretty rubbish Titan. It's stated to be slow and clumsy and even Eren of all people could reach its neck using 3d gear. It's just really goddamn big and has steam magic.

It's worth keeping in mind that Eren is actually exceptionally skilled; we just get a distorted perspective since some of the other main characters are even more exceptional and also happen to be the only ones who did better than him in training. Wasn't he ranked 5th or something?

(Not that the colossal Titan isn't really slow; the steam release sort of implies that he would have been hosed otherwise and lacked the mobility to defend in any other way.)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

What's more is Bert's steam defense isn't infinite. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c044/40.html It appears he burns away his titan when he's using it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What's more is Bert's steam defense isn't infinite. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c044/40.html It appears he burns away his titan when he's using it.

Maybe this means he's simply controlling the decay of his titan form? All titans go vapor when they're destroyed, after all.

Gonna be cool if that's actually a skill that can be taught rather than an ability. I can see Reiner not using the method because he's armored and burning the armor away kind of defeats the point of it, but Annie and Eren? sure.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Vincent Valentine posted:

Maybe this means he's simply controlling the decay of his titan form? All titans go vapor when they're destroyed, after all.

Gonna be cool if that's actually a skill that can be taught rather than an ability. I can see Reiner not using the method because he's armored and burning the armor away kind of defeats the point of it, but Annie and Eren? sure.

I think that's what Annie's existence implies, especially with her ability to armor parts of her body reactively, any Titan can use these and likely more powers, but I figure some Titans have a natural talent for an ability, which is why you get Aberrants.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

That's a pretty cool explanation for the steam magic.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Lestaki posted:

His problem is that he's more "siege weapon" than "warrior". A trebuchet has its uses, but you wouldn't bring one to a fistfight.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Shadow0 posted:

The humans are actually just small titans / EVA units and are pilotted by even smaller and even whineier humans that complain about everything.
Every humanoid creature in existence has a tinier humanoid being inside its head/neck that secretly controls it. This goes on for eternity until there's a micro-universe filled with pilots. Pilotception.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

Every humanoid creature in existence has a tinier humanoid being inside its head/neck that secretly controls it. This goes on for eternity until there's a micro-universe filled with pilots. Pilotception.

I eagerly await the day the military decides Eren punching everything isn't :kamina: enough for them and straps a drill to his arm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm waiting for Titan-sized 3DMG.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

darkgray posted:

With the character design for lady Titan it seems screamingly obvious that it must be Annie, or whoever it was that didn't join the rest of the group. Pure speculation, mind you, but it makes me sigh. The super ninja skillz don't help. If I'm wrong, it's misleading (and disappointing), and if I'm right, it means one of the characters should have commented on it by now (but no, so it's disappointing).

Why are the anime people so much quicker on the draw than we were :smith:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

I think the anime gave a much clearer look at the nose and eyes, I've seen a number of people already make the connection. The opening+this episode probably helped, too.

Also I'm having a real hard time understanding that post.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
They have hair colors to work with, too.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

He has a post in the manga thread from 2012 :ssh: Goons gonna goon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elotana posted:

Why would anyone do that.

I mean, the anime makes it obvious and all, but c'mon.

Edit: I wonder if anyone in the anime thread will pick up on the Colossal and Armored Titans being Bert and Ernie? The Armored one's identity is more obvious with the anime colouring everything, but it probably wasn't immediately obvious on their first watch.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 4, 2013

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The steam on Reiner. So good.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would anyone do that.

I mean, the anime makes it obvious and all, but c'mon.

Edit: I wonder if anyone in the anime thread will pick up on the Colossal and Armored Titans being Bert and Ernie? The Armored one's identity is more obvious with the anime colouring everything, but it probably wasn't immediately obvious on their first watch.

Because you got to look smart in front of everyone else of course.

Also I hadn't really considered that, I imagine that's part of the reason the Armored Titan doesn't appear at all during Trost, other than you know, Eren showing up as a Titan.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Elotana posted:

Any chance this can be a bannable offense?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Denim Avenger posted:

Because you got to look smart in front of everyone else of course.

Also I hadn't really considered that, I imagine that's part of the reason the Armored Titan doesn't appear at all during Trost, other than you know, Eren showing up as a Titan.

Eren popping up as a Titan derailed their plans and made the situation much riskier. I'd imagine they cheesed it after he appeared so they could reassess and figure out how they could deal with him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bremen posted:

Any chance this can be a bannable offense?

Pretty sure it is. Report and move on.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eren popping up as a Titan derailed their plans and made the situation much riskier. I'd imagine they cheesed it after he appeared so they could reassess and figure out how they could deal with him.

Right, but the Armored Titan's hair especially looks like Reiners, so I just wonder how much of keeping the secret was the inspiration for keeping the Armored Titan out of the Manga after meeting him.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving hell, the crawling Titan that attacked Sasha was way creepier and scarier than I remembered from the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Way too spoilery for anime threads: