Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

arisu posted:

They should spend the rest of the season animating the Liberal Arts City light novel. :colbert:

Hopefully they do that, there's enough beach service in Liberal Arts City anyway for their quota. And plenty of action for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Hopefully they do that, there's enough beach service in Liberal Arts City anyway for their quota. And plenty of action for everyone.

Do the Sisters feature prominently in this Liberal Arts City arc?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Unfortunately no, but you do get Kuroko action!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
One problem with that arc is that it heavily involves the other half of the Index franchise which so far hasn't been mentioned in Railgun. In the novel there's an awful lot of Misaka rationalizing it to herself, but I don't think that would really work in the anime.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the remainder of the season includes at least one episode featuring Sogiita Gunha. I still don't know what his powers are (other than being AMAZING) or what he actually does on a daily basis, but I've read that one manga chapter at the start of the Sports Festival arc where he and Misaki recite the sportsmanship pledge and I'd love to see him making an appearance in the anime.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 1, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope the remainder of the season includes at least one episode featuring Sogiita Gunha. I still don't know what his powers are (other than being AMAZING) or what he actually does on a daily basis, but I've read that one manga chapter at the start of the Sports Festival arc where he and Misaki recite the sportsmanship pledge and I'd love to see him making an appearance in the anime.

I recall he gets at least one fight with Misaka.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

JosephWongKS posted:

Don't worry, BECAUSE HE HAS NO loving CLUE WHAT HIS POWERS ARE... other than being AMAZING

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Just do one episode where a crack team of Sisters rescue her in a Daring Commando Raid. Bonus points if they deliver action-movie one liners in a flat monotone.

First thing that came to mind on reading that:

"Do you feel lucky, punk?" inquires MISAKA angrily.

This has to happen!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Anime_Otaku posted:

First thing that came to mind on reading that:

"Do you feel lucky, punk?" inquires MISAKA angrily.

This has to happen!
This is what they see with their goggles on.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Clarste posted:

One problem with that arc is that it heavily involves the other half of the Index franchise which so far hasn't been mentioned in Railgun. In the novel there's an awful lot of Misaka rationalizing it to herself, but I don't think that would really work in the anime.

They better make it work, I want to see the last fight of that novel animated. :colbert:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Falken posted:

This is what they see with their goggles on.

My favorite gif of all time :)

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
I just read manga chapter 61, and :stonk: about sums up my reaction.

There are grades of cliffhanger. Normal ones don't leave the entire plot of the overarching 'verse teetering on the head of a pin. (still manga)“Well if it isn't Aleister's favourite, who is hidden in the shadow of the main plan!” :aaaaa: I'll leave the rest for you to enjoy as it should be. What the gently caress just happened to the timeline, people? This manga is official canon.

UTW-Mazui changed their release schedule to 12+ hours from airing, which was 16 hours ago, so who knows.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 3, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Still cannot find Chap 61... :(

e: welp ok nevermind! :stare:

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 3, 2013

Exotria
Feb 21, 2011
So, here's the new OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlckTwAVOEg.

They really like drawing those Misaka upskirt shots a lot don't they.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
So thanks to this thread (and Kuroko getting her neck snapped in that gif), I decided to try watching the first series through. I am both enjoying and loathing what seems to be quite a debate on privilege going on in the underlying themes. Enjoying because it's even a theme to begin with, and loathing because of the conclusions it seems to be drawing. Yes Mikasa, you're having trouble empathising with the people less powerful then you and the frustrations they're having getting on. No, the solution to their woes is not smiles and bootstraps oh my God I hate you.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 3, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Exotria posted:

A disturbing lack of Sogiita Gunha in that OP.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

Wolf on Air posted:

I just read manga chapter 61, and :stonk: about sums up my reaction.

There are grades of cliffhanger. Normal ones don't leave the entire plot of the overarching 'verse teetering on the head of a pin. (still manga)“Well if it isn't Aleister's favourite, who is hidden in the shadow of the main plan!” :aaaaa: I'll leave the rest for you to enjoy as it should be. What the gently caress just happened to the timeline, people? This manga is official canon.
MANGAYeah, I dunno. It's during that intermural esper sports festival (Daihaisai?) and judging by what we've seen along the established timeline is that she'll come through this without being a broken mess of a person. She also gets back in time for a few of the events. Now, didn't she have one of her Sisters standing in for her, specifically in that balloon-tag event (seeing her having fun was so :3:)? Shouldn't she have gone all catatonic in the middle of the event while Kihara Gensei used External?

Wolf on Air posted:

UTW-Mazui changed their release schedule to 12+ hours from airing, which was 16 hours ago, so who knows.
It's up now. :v:

Kokoro Wish posted:

So thanks to this thread (and Kuroko getting her neck snapped in that gif), I decided to try watching the first series through. I am both enjoying and loathing what seems to be quite a debate on privilege going on in the underlying themes. Enjoying because it's even a theme to begin with, and loathing because of the conclusions it seems to be drawing. Yes Mikasa, you're having trouble empathising with the people less powerful then you and the frustrations they're having getting on. No, the solution to their woes is not smiles and bootstraps oh my God I hate you.

It's been a while since I watched the first season but I don't remember her or the general gist of it being like that at all. SEASON 1Are you referring to Saten "cheating" with Level Upper because she just couldn't grasp the concepts of Personal Reality like all the non-level 0 espers (like Misaka) who overcame that mental hurdle?

Parpy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 3, 2013

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Well, we ain't getting no Liberal Arts City with that opening. Oh well, here's to more J.C. Staff Original Anime Filler. :v:

Cute girls being cute while eating food, opening animation with The-Poor-Littlest-Plot-Device-Girl number I've goddamn lost track by now, the "Isn't it nice that everything's calm and relaxing and normal" button gets pressed until it almost breaks. Goddamn it, JC Staff. At least they animated a manga omake, which was the only funny part other than heroic and glorious levels of Kuroko acting.

And hey, my car was in this episode. Where do they get all the car meshes anyway? I still maintain they must've raided some 3D graphics forum or other.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I am both enjoying and loathing what seems to be quite a debate on privilege going on in the underlying themes. Enjoying because it's even a theme to begin with, and loathing because of the conclusions it seems to be drawing. Yes Mikasa, you're having trouble empathising with the people less powerful then you and the frustrations they're having getting on. No, the solution to their woes is not smiles and bootstraps oh my God I hate you.

Well, this is ironic because - and it gets more obvious when she casually buys her friends a $1300 rice cooker in S - the actual message is Misaka's obliviousness about her situation. It ties in with her esper rank since the whole reason she goes to a hyper-prestigous school, has more cash than she needs to count and so on is because she's been fast-tracked from the day she started the power development programme when she was tiny—and has a humonguous stipend—all on account of (I-would-say-pretty-mild LN/manga spoiler) The Powers That Be finding her an excellent candidate for their living-weapon esper development plan, which is what actually ultimately decides your Level and your rank within the Level Fives (and if you hadn't figured this out independently by now you weren't paying attention; Accelerator exists to prove this point, and pretty much says it outright.) Regardless, that she ended up powerful as hell was mostly decided for her, not something she primarily won for herself.

The "you just need to be more genki" thing she spouts is a message she herself is used as the literal poster child for in Academy City propaganda, and so far she's still buying it. There ought to be some kind of identity crisis when it turns out it ain't exactly true.

Parpy posted:

(MANGA!) Yeah, I dunno. It's during that intermural esper sports festival (Daihaisai?) and judging by what we've seen along the established timeline is that she'll come through this without being a broken mess of a person. She also gets back in time for a few of the events. Now, didn't she have one of her Sisters standing in for her, specifically in that balloon-tag event (seeing her having fun was so :3:)? Shouldn't she have gone all catatonic in the middle of the event while Kihara Gensei used External?

(MANGA!)
Any MISAKA having fun is moé as gently caress in an acceptable fashion, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise. :3:

And yeah, well. Going Level 6 (the issue title is SYSTEM) apparently means becoming humonguously powerful near-angelic being by prior evidence, and if you go and buy that the show actually takes its inspiration seriously, being forced into it is probably Bad. Fits with the demonic imagery. As for the Sister, it's the default Misaka Imouto, #10032, and she was captured by Misaki's crew a number of issues ago and then captured again by Kihara Mengele in the last scene; it's that same 10032 he goes and mindrapes (along with the rest of the network) for his little experiment in apotheosis. Keikaku doori, somehow. I wonder how hard it will backfire, and whether it will be solved creatively or by having Touma commit domestic violence. Place your bets.

But what has me all :wtf: is that this is a pretty huge event to retcon, and you'd think she would be all torn up about it afterwards no matter what happens. I suppose that fireworks display also conveniently covered up the all-sky blacker-than-space anti-lightning phenomenon while simultaneously also blocking a mindrape of everyone in the city by Evil Magic Doods; man, it was a busy evening for mindrapes in AC.

Anyway, it figures a coverup would involve mindwiping both her and the (rest of :v: - I like that part of this plot development, actually) the Network. Of course, there is a convenient walking mindwiping device on hand... otherwise you'd think she'd just at least mention that “Hey guys, while you were watching fireworks I turned into a being more powerful than God. How about that, huh?”

EIther case, this arc desperately requires re-reading now knowing what to pay attention to, I think. That, and issue #58-59 apparently tied into events during Liberal Arts City or Hawaii with Saten's little adventure, neither of which I have read yet, but there was a scene with People Futilely Running to the Cliffhanger in the last couple pages.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 3, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Kuroko's VA pretty much carried that episode by herself.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Kuroko is just the best as always. Also the idea of Frenda acting as Meltdowner's version of Kuroko is amazing.

After how well the sisters arc went, I'm more than willing to give JC Staff the benefit of the doubt for another anime-only arc.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
:raise: Hardly everyone was a fan of the second half of season 1, where J.C. Staff Quality Original Material has been stuff like Holodeck Beach; the only anime-original parts to the Sisters arc was wherever they squeezed in Uiharu and Saten, and a couple girls-being-cute-in-a-café scenes that most people seem to complain about more than enjoy, bearded-:frog::coffee: or not. I fear your hope may be misplaced, but time will tell. I heard rumors about a (speculation) Shinobu-rescue plan, which a lot of people have been calling for, so that might be cool?

After all that manga black-text I just want to add that the situation with canonicity with the LN/manga/animes is slightly hosed in the head, since the manga has referred to anime events in asides, the anime keeps moving around/modifying/trimming events, all versions of the Railgun side of events more or less heavily retcon Misaka/MISAKA/Touma interactions (universally to the better), and yet they're supposedly all canon. :shobon:

I think Kuroko's VA is due for another acting award, because this episode was indeed superlative in that regard. How can a person change tone so completely between syllables? It's amazing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kuroko's writer might be a creep but Kuroko's VA is a genius. And come on, who else thought she was going to bring a few frozen dead mice to the hotpot?

The whole privilege thing wasn't really developed in Railgun 1, sure we had Touma whining about a losing a carton of eggs, but contrast that with Misaka casually buying a change of terrorist clothes and renting a hotel room just to change. And while she always spouted shounen cliches about hard work beating anything, it was pretty obvious she was born with the potential for Level 5 instead of her simply working 105 times harder than anyone else. So... rather clever storytelling about a character with a naive view of the world.

I'm sorta sad that the current arc of the manga isn't being animated. No Misaki in the intro, but Kongou's bland swimming friends are around. At least Frenda and Mugi are back!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ArchangeI posted:

Kuroko's VA pretty much carried that episodelast season and this season and everything by herself.

Indeed.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

Phobophilia posted:

Kuroko's writer might be a creep but Kuroko's VA is a genius. And come on, who else thought she was going to bring a few frozen dead mice to the hotpot?

The whole privilege thing wasn't really developed in Railgun 1, sure we had Touma whining about a losing a carton of eggs, but contrast that with Misaka casually buying a change of terrorist clothes and renting a hotel room just to change. And while she always spouted shounen cliches about hard work beating anything, it was pretty obvious she was born with the potential for Level 5 instead of her simply working 105 times harder than anyone else. So... rather clever storytelling about a character with a naive view of the world.

I'm sorta sad that the current arc of the manga isn't being animated. No Misaki in the intro, but Kongou's bland swimming friends are around. At least Frenda and Mugi are back!

Kongou's two-girl entourage (Awatsuki Maaya, the dark-haired one and Wannai Kinuho, the fair-haired one) gets a bit of time to shine in the manga. We'll probably never see it animated though, would be cool if we did because they're pretty badass and admirable in their own right.

It's really a shame that the side characters don't get much exposure and development in the shows. It took reading the manga for me to take a strong liking to characters like Misaki, Kongou and her crew. To anyone new to Railgun this season, don't limit yourself to the anime if you find this world and characters interesting.

I really want to get into the LNs but chapter 1 starts with Index arriving on Touma's balcony and suddenly I find myself needing to do something, anything that isn't reliving Index season 1.

e: accidentally switched the names and descriptions of Kongou's friends; fixed now.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kuroko and Misaka are respectively Level 4 and Level 5 Espers, and have faced literal life-and-death situations in combat against overwhelming odds. Why are they so god-drat terrified of the dormitory supervisor? Is it just played up for comedy, or is the dormitory supervisor actually a secret Level 6 or something?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dorm Supervisor's esper power is Administration Logistics. You'd be terrified too :colbert:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Kuroko and Misaka are respectively Level 4 and Level 5 Espers, and have faced literal life-and-death situations in combat against overwhelming odds. Why are they so god-drat terrified of the dormitory supervisor? Is it just played up for comedy, or is the dormitory supervisor actually a secret Level 6 or something?

There's several other "normal" adults in the series who command undue respect from high level esper teenagers; I think it's partially a comedy thing and partially highlighting that respect/fear that most kids naturally feel towards adults. Granted, a normal person and being able to deal with mutant freaks on a daily basis is reason enough to give them respect. :shobon:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JosephWongKS posted:

It's the goddamn dormitory supervisor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo2MuhGwOJw

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched the new OP again and I saw Shinobu in the breaking glass at the 35-second mark. Shinobu Rescue Arc here we go! :dance:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

In all seriousness, it isn't like she's their enemy. She deserves the respect that her position is due and the girls give it to her because they have no reason to fight her. Also if they did they would probably get booted from school.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Watched the new OP again and I saw Shinobu in the breaking glass at the 35-second mark. Shinobu Rescue Arc here we go! :dance:

I would squee with joy if this happens.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Exotria posted:

Aren't those the exact same enemies from the filler arc in the first season?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You think filler arc power armour designs grow on trees?? JC Staff Academy City has a budget, you know!

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Parpy posted:

Kongou's two-girl entourage (Wannai Kinuho, the dark-haired one and Awatsuki Maaya, the fair-haired one) gets a bit of time to shine in the manga. We'll probably never see it animated though, would be cool if we did because they're pretty badass and admirable in their own right.

Looks like we'll be seeing them in action one way or another if the new OP is any indication:

(probably something completely unrelated to that bit in the OP, but they wouldn't be showing them off there if they weren't going to appear in the new arc).

Phobophilia posted:

You think filler arc power armour designs grow on trees?? JC Staff Academy City has a budget, you know!

Comparing them to the S1 ones, the overall design seems broadly the same pattern, but the details are pretty different:

And the new ones aren't quite so painfully blatant CG, which is a nice improvement at least.

arhra fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 4, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

arhra posted:

Looks like we'll be seeing them in action one way or another if the new OP is any indication

Just like how Kuroko and Touma ported in to rescue Misaka from Meltdowner last arc? Oh, wait.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Redcrimson posted:

Just like how Kuroko and Touma ported in to rescue Misaka from Meltdowner last arc? Oh, wait.

It won't be that exact scene (I'm pretty sure the thread has gone over how the OPs are entirely unrepresentative of actual story events before), but the fact that they're there and actually using their powers rather than being background SoL side-characters is a fairly good indication that they'll show up at some point and get some action.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I just hope the finale is as action packed as Season 1's. That badass moment when Misaka yells for Kuroko, who in turn teleports in at altitude, and teleports the debris of Telestina's power loader over to her.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I really, really hope that the four-leaf clover bit is going to turn into some ridiculous foreshadowing for the main plot of this second half, like the random low-grade earthquakes from last season did.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My first thought was "somebody's been dumping vats of plant hormones into the river!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some scanlations for Chapter 61 finally showed up.

I wonder what the longest period of time that Academy City has gone without someone starting up some evil plan is.

• Locked thread