Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can't believe that image is still referenced. I remember that stuff when it was used for each Gurren Lagann episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The anime viewers have really sharp eyes.

HidaO-Win posted:

So I was just watching the episode on crunchyroll and the video stuttered for a moment, as it did I spotted something.

It stuttered at 21.45, just as Reiner is carrying Armin away, it's for half a second but it's there. Motherfucker.

Cicero posted:

Couldn't be...ah, hm.

Welp.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

There's no way that isn't manga readers posting spoilers as speculation trying to seem cool. I disbelieve.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's pretty obvious thanks to the addition of hair color, though. If it were black-and-white it'd be much easier to overlook, like in the manga. But the anime gives it away way too easily, plus they loooooove sticking in little references and nods. I almost wish they'd given the human titans a base hair color to keep it a mystery for a little longer, because there's really no way to NOT see Annie when the giant piloted titan has super blonde hair(plus other factors).

It's only a matter of time before someone makes the connection that Annie and Ernie keep getting paired up with Bert in group shots, and that Bert sweats a shitload at all times and is really tall. And then they'll get suspicious because Ymir doesn't have a last name and her name is really weird to begin with and then it all comes crumbling down oh god

But they'll never get confirmation unless they read the manga! Bwahaha! :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 4, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Annie is possibly even more terrifying animated than in the manga, and I can't believe I forgot that loving Reiner is the first person who Armin runs into after she lets him go. :stonklol:

This really has my favorite kind of foreshadowing: the kind that makes you feel like a total dipshit for not seeing what is totally obvious in retrospect.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Adelheid posted:

There's no way that isn't manga readers posting spoilers as speculation trying to seem cool. I disbelieve.

It's possible, like the dude that pegged who the Colossal+Armoured Titans were months before the reveal... but I am also kinda inclined to believe it's like you say, some manga-reading assholes posting spoilers under the guise of ~speculation~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm honestly pretty disappointed in the way it's happening in the anime because the actual reveals won't hold any weight and it's way too obvious way too early who's who. In the manga a shitload of stuff was super ambiguous unless you were like that one guy who managed to tie it all together, as individual parts and scenes nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But in the anime they're just having little things like the steam coming off of Reiner like that dude mentioned and it just blows the surprise like 30 episodes before the actual reveal would happen.

Don't get me wrong, I loving loved this episode. But only as a manga reader. It took less than ten posts for someone to make the Reiner connection in the anime thread. I don't remember more than one person making that in the manga thread until it actually got revealed aside from folks mentioning that one guy who broke it all down, right?

I'm almost positive Cicero is an anime-only dude, just so you know. I used to play Dawn of War with him and he was always a stand-up guy, not the sort to pull poo poo like this for a cheap laugh. And the Armored Titan's and Reiner's hair style and color in the anime are exactly the same, it was only extremely obvious in this episode because he got a decent amount of face time.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

ViggyNash posted:

If it is, then who is Colossal Titan?

e:I think I'm now horrified about where this story leads...
Fortunately the greatest mystery of them all is still up in the air. :allears:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Has Ymir been named in the Anime? I remember that they never gave her a name until right before she's outed as a titanshifter. For most of ny readthrough I assumed she was given a name at some point but I forgot it, so I just called her "the huge dyke."

It turned out I was correct on both points.

(Also I'm sorry I keel missing things but at what point in the episode do Reiner's wounds steam? I saw the half second flash of the Armored Titan (WHY DID YOU PUT THAT IN THERE? WHAT THE HELL, ANIMATORS?!), but not the steam.)

Also, I can't wait to see how pissed the anime thread gets about how much they stall the Eren V Annie brawl.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 4, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm honestly pretty disappointed in the way it's happening in the anime because the actual reveals won't hold any weight and it's way too obvious way too early who's who. In the manga a shitload of stuff was super ambiguous unless you were like that one guy who managed to tie it all together, as individual parts and scenes nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But in the anime they're just having little things like the steam coming off of Reiner like that dude mentioned and it just blows the surprise like 30 episodes before the actual reveal would happen.

Don't get me wrong, I loving loved this episode. But only as a manga reader. It took less than ten posts for someone to make the Reiner connection in the anime thread. I don't remember more than one person making that in the manga thread until it actually got revealed aside from folks mentioning that one guy who broke it all down, right?

I'm almost positive Cicero is an anime-only dude, just so you know. I used to play Dawn of War with him and he was always a stand-up guy, not the sort to pull poo poo like this for a cheap laugh. And the Armored Titan's and Reiner's hair style and color in the anime are exactly the same, it was only extremely obvious in this episode because he got a decent amount of face time.

I was thinking this as well, but I couldn't tell if it was just because I already knew the Bert and Ernie reveal so it just colours everything with immediate suspicion. It's crazy how much knowing the reveal makes every little thing so much more suspicious and obvious on a rewatch.

I think it's just that the anime medium is much more conductive to figuring things out. In addition to things like hair colour, these episodes are coming every week and that keeps things real fresh, especially compared to the manga with months inbetween connecting points. The bit with steam coming off of Reiner was in the manga too, for the record. But at that point, everyone just assumed it was bits of frayed Annie evaporating.

Brutus Salad posted:

Fortunately the greatest mystery of them all is still up in the air. :allears:

If people are cluing into Reiner = Armoured Titan, I wouldn't be surprised if they clue in to Reiner's one friend that happens to also be super tall = Colossal Titan.

Speaking of re-reading, one of my now favourite scenes is the top panel of the latest chapter (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c047/10.html):

Turns out every time Bert breaks out into a massive sweat and stares down Annie wasn't just cause they knew each others' secrets but also because he had a crush :allears:. Reiner's line about everyone noticing almost seems fourth-wall breaking, too.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 4, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So who is that dude/girl "scientist" in the glasses, and are they a guy or a girl? I need to know to solve a discussion with my friend who only watches the anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So who is that dude/girl "scientist" in the glasses, and are they a guy or a girl? I need to know to solve a discussion with my friend who only watches the anime.

Hange Zoe, and she's a chick.

https://twitter.com/KodanshaUSA/status/341679659223756800

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Bert will never not be the most hilarious character. :allears:

Ymir has been named in the anime thread before but no one has gotten suspicious about her lack of a last name, probably thanks to characters like Erwin and Levi that are surnameless but pretty important. Honestly, at this point, she's just like Bert, best known for being the best bud of a more prominent character.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Autumncomet posted:

Bert will never not be the most hilarious character. :allears:

Ymir has been named in the anime thread before but no one has gotten suspicious about her lack of a last name, probably thanks to characters like Erwin and Levi that are surnameless but pretty important. Honestly, at this point, she's just like Bert, best known for being the best bud of a more prominent character.
Erwin has a last name, Smith. Levi, however, doesn't have a last name.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And someone's already made the Bertholdt connection. It's a real shame. I just kinda want to start telling people to read the manga first, then watch the anime if they want to see it animated, because just as I thought it was way too obvious and way too many hints were included. Like, it's not "manga readers sabotaging it", that bit at 21:45 is way way more unambiguous than the same scene in the manga that I'd be dumbstruck if it got through without a bunch of folks noticing it.

I think it literally would have been fine if Reiner had had some blood on him that evaporated, making it look like Annie's blood evaporating. But now people have already deduced all three identities within hours of the episode airing.

I'm kinda pissed because the Bert and Ernie reveal was, weirdly, really well done in the manga, and almost nobody really suspected it aside from folks who had read that blog post. Now the anime viewers know about it before even Annie's been "confirmed".

At least there's the hole in The Wall that will no doubt lead to a lot of :stare: posts to look forward to.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 4, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The anime could have spoiled Annie's identity for all I care (it's obvious in hindsight anyway, especially if you can see hair colors). But the Reiner/Bertholdt reveal in the manga was so drat beautiful that it's a shame that the watchers of the show will probably untangle everything before it can blow up in their faces like it ought to.

Ah well, at least the series is still fantastic. And there there are still a lot of cool mysteries that the anime can't spoil because no one but Isayama knows them. And I'm really looking forward to animated Ape Titan and the resulting nightmares therefrom. :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There won't be animated Ape Titan for a long time because that will have to happen in season 2 and that'll be at least a year from now.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The series is pretty successful by all accounts. I know that's no guarantee of a second season but things are looking up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The fact that people ever thought Hanji was a dude is actually baffling to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Soulcleaver posted:

The series is pretty successful by all accounts. I know that's no guarantee of a second season but things are looking up.

A second season is inevitable, it's why I didn't say "if". But it's whether they have enough stuff to put into a second 26 episode series yet is the question.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, I always thought it was really cool and progressive to have the freaky/brilliant mad-scientist type character be a woman. Way to break the mold!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure the manga made sure to hide her nose with her bangs. The anime really didn't. Am I mistaken or did the anime change it?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Soulcleaver posted:

But the Reiner/Bertholdt reveal in the manga was so drat beautiful that it's a shame that the watchers of the show will probably untangle everything before it can blow up in their faces like it ought to.

I actually think that the reveal can still carry some weight because of how it's done. Just the way that it's so unassuming and plain is so counter to what would be an incredibly dramatic reveal that I think it'll still have punch when it happens.

But I agree about the other mysteries in the show. Figuring out who is and isn't a Titan is fine, but it's never been as interesting as trying to figure out why characters do things. Hell, as far as we are from the Annie reveal, we still don't know why she was trying to kidnap Eren. Anime thread already has a few questions like that, so at least they've moved in a good direction a bit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Prison Warden posted:

Anime viewers are more adept at figuring out titans than humans.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Adelheid posted:

I think one of the guys a couple of pages back noted that one poster who was complaining about the Annie reveal being obvious had posted in this thread sometime last year. So yeah, the people in that thread aren't figuring it out, some douchebags are just going in there with knowledge on what happens and posting it as speculation to seem clever/cool or whatever.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Isayama actually refuses to state Hanji's actual gender when asked about it, so I don't think anyone knows for sure!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Have other characters been referring to Hanji with gender neutral words? I think the author is probably just messing with people.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

RatHat posted:

Have other characters been referring to Hanji with gender neutral words? I think the author is probably just messing with people.

Spoken Japanese doesn't usually use gender specific pronouns (or really pronouns much at all). This has long been a bane of fan translations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh noooooo the anime thread people are picking apart all the secrets like they were nothing :smith:

This better not actually be goaded on by manga-readers or I will be super pissed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh noooooo the anime thread people are picking apart all the secrets like they were nothing :smith:

This better not actually be goaded on by manga-readers or I will be super pissed.

3 posts up...

Asuron posted:

I think one of the guys a couple of pages back noted that one poster who was complaining about the Annie reveal being obvious had posted in this thread sometime last year. So yeah, the people in that thread aren't figuring it out, some douchebags are just going in there with knowledge on what happens and posting it as speculation to seem clever/cool or whatever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

In the anime thread, StrangersInTheNight posted:

My current theory is that Titans were originally a weapon developed to be used in some ages old war (lots of shots of two opposing sides in the iconography of the OP/ED), but then went out of control. They are mindless and inscrutable because they are meant to have 'drivers', but without people inside them they began acting on instinct, like big dumb animals. Maybe they're eating people to try and get them inside and gain a 'control center'?
Came up earlier in this thread too, "flesh-mecha ineptly putting people inside" is still my favorite explanation for the titan's indifferent eating and throwing up.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Speaking of re-reading, one of my now favourite scenes is the top panel of the latest chapter (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c047/10.html):

Turns out every time Bert breaks out into a massive sweat and stares down Annie wasn't just cause they knew each others' secrets but also because he had a crush :allears:. Reiner's line about everyone noticing almost seems fourth-wall breaking, too.
Yeah, doing a reveal where you go back and look at what a character does and think "oh, that's what that was about" is pretty good, but doing it twice with the same character? Even better.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 30, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
It's going to be interesting to see how the scouts actually even survive the next few issues. Especially if there isn't another titan-shifter revealed in the process.

My guess: Mikasa manages to free Erin, or he just outright transforms. Reiner and Burt prepare for a rematch, but Ymir just takes off with Christa. Then the pair are left choosing between subduing Erin and watching their friends get eaten by Titans.

Also, if Bert were to marry Annie, they could potentially be Mr. and Ms. Fubar :haw:

Jackard posted:

Came up earlier in this thread too, "flesh-mecha ineptly putting people inside" is still my favorite explanation for the titan's indifferent eating and throwing up.

That post also makes me realize that a lot of things make sense if Reiner and Co. come from another walled civilization that is just the other side of that war. A side that was able to create a small number of Titan children to continue the war for them.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 4, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Did the official translations really go with Fubar instead of Hoover/Huber? Because if so then god drat that is dumb.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I can't believe that image is still referenced. I remember that stuff when it was used for each Gurren Lagann episode.

I'm both proud and ashamed to admit that I contributed to that (I did the outfits in 23 :shobon:).

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
I can't wait for the hole-in-the-wall arc to reach television, when we'll have clever manga readers posting in the anime thread, "Titans appearing out of nowhere? There's obviously a sasquatch behind it all."

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

It just seems weird to me that the people living behind the wall have no knowledge of their history outside of "titans showed up and killed everyone." I thought it was mentioned that only 100 years had passed since the titans showed up. A huge wall like that doesn't just appear overnight and even considering the wall is made out of titans people would have to know about that. It just seems like there might be more to it. Maybe some kind of north korea brain washing or the war has been going on longer than 100 years.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Abitha Denton posted:

I can't wait for the hole-in-the-wall arc to reach television, when we'll have clever manga readers posting in the anime thread, "Titans appearing out of nowhere? There's obviously a sasquatch behind it all."

Bertholdt sure seems nervous a lot. He needs to let off some steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

dirty nub posted:

It just seems weird to me that the people living behind the wall have no knowledge of their history outside of "titans showed up and killed everyone." I thought it was mentioned that only 100 years had passed since the titans showed up. A huge wall like that doesn't just appear overnight and even considering the wall is made out of titans people would have to know about that. It just seems like there might be more to it. Maybe some kind of north korea brain washing or the war has been going on longer than 100 years.

The inside front cover (or inside of the dust jacket?) of every JP volume has some badly mangled/reversed Japanese over a picture explaining that humanity sailed across the ocean to escape the titans and found the walls when they arrived at the next continent. Might be a legit history of the Attack on Titan world, might be a falsified one, who knows. Lots of theories out there to explain how that happened and why the church/royalty are suppressing info about the wall/outside world, no way to prove/disprove any of them.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm kinda pissed because the Bert and Ernie reveal was, weirdly, really well done in the manga, and almost nobody really suspected it aside from folks who had read that blog post. Now the anime viewers know about it before even Annie's been "confirmed".

I don't remember anyone from the places I read (which isn't many) figuring out that Reiner/Bert were armored and colossal but it was CW that Reiner was a titan because of that scene where he cut the message into Annie-Titan's hand, that was a really ham-handed 'hint' by this story's standards, the author gave away both Annie and Reiner in like ten pages. Castle Utgard threw people off though because Reiner didn't act like a human titan in those scenes at loving all so chapter 44 actually was a huge surprise for me, good work author.