Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The thing said earlier about making Pyg an evil animal rights activist really pisses me off.

I don't know much about Pyg, what are the comics he's used in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Another thing irking me about this series slightly: the lack of alternative outfits on the characters. Tatsu is still in the same jumpsuit. Bruce is in the same shirt and jacket.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's just a symptom of cartoons in general. Watch old BTAS episodes and Bruce has like, 2 outfits besides the mustard suit, tops. It's just a way to help kids identify characters easier.

VVV: But Morrison's Pyg was hosed up, man. Something had to give.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 28, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Professor Pyg's from some of the Grant Morrison comics.
He was created as another insane villain so that writers would not have to use Joker every time an insane villain is required. Another good idea from Morrison ignored by everyone else.
He's a sicko who butchers people into his idea of perfection in the comics.
They could not have made him that in the cartoon so he had to change.
Making a guy in a pig mask an animal rights activist is 1.) absurdly silly 2.) creatively bankrupt 3.) another demonization of the "liberal agenda"

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Professor Pyg's from some of the Grant Morrison comics.
He was created as another insane villain so that writers would not have to use Joker every time an insane villain is required. Another good idea from Morrison ignored by everyone else.
He's a sicko who butchers people into his idea of perfection in the comics.
They could not have made him that in the cartoon so he had to change.
Making a guy in a pig mask an animal rights activist is 1.) absurdly silly 2.) creatively bankrupt 3.) another demonization of the "liberal agenda"

I would like to add as a counter point that 1) Pyg's sidekick (in the show) seems to be an actual lizard man not some guy in a costume, 2)the pig's mask was more for a connection to fairy tales and less because he liked animals, 3) Bruce Wayne fixed the habitat that was being sold so the "liberal agenda" won out in the end anyway.

Pennypunch
Jun 19, 2013

I've drawn you a bath.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I know people who think Beware The batman is pretty awesome, and think it's much much much better than Brave and The Bold. They also hate Brave And The Bold because of Aquaman and whimsy.

I'll accept many opinions but calling Brave and The Bold's Aquaman bad is not an opinion, it's flat out wrong. :colbert:

I hope you yelled a proud, emphasized POPPYCOCK! in their general direction.

Additionally, send them a Youtube link to the Rousing Song of Heroism. If that doesn't rouse them, nothing will.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but that's just a symptom of cartoons in general. Watch old BTAS episodes and Bruce has like, 2 outfits besides the mustard suit, tops. It's just a way to help kids identify characters easier.

VVV: But Morrison's Pyg was hosed up, man. Something had to give.

We haven't even reached one change yet, so we'll see where that goes. One thing I can appreciate about this series is that they're using new characters that haven't really shown up in animated form before. Pyg is quite new and is a weaker, more kid friendly but much crazier Poison Ivy in a strange sense. Anarky is from the early 90s and kept on showing up throughout that decade. Given the character's history, making him this utterly incompetent is...amusing in a sort of twisted way. Finally Magpie is a C-list villain so there's pretty much everywhere to go other than already trodden ground with her.

Given that they're using new villains, I'd probably expect someone like Hush to show up near the end of the season or something.

Are there previews for the next episode for this series or is it pretty much a surprise at what happens next at this point.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

It bugs the crap out of me that they gave Spider-Man a giant robot in the most :effort: way imaginable. It's not even using his color scheme :argh:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

horriblePencilist posted:

I tried watching Avengers Assemble, but it's just too boring. You failed me, Man of Action :(

Your first mistake was trusting Man of Action to make a good show.

readingatwork posted:

I was thinking more that if GO becomes super popular we could potentially get another "serious" Teen Titans series (or movie) out of it.

Young Justice was pretty much a serious Teen Titans show. The anime influences of the original Teen Titans irritated me personally and I feel the writers fell back on that which made the characters weaker.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, I'd prefer that the world leave anime-poo poo Teen Titans in the past where it belongs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muscles like this? posted:

I mentioned this in another thread but my problem with this week's Beware the Batman was the bit where they talked about how he beat that obviously mentally challenged thug into a coma.

I kind of figured his beating may have been what resulted in him being mentally challenged in the first place.

I kind of like the show though, despite it's shaky start, so I'm inclined to look on the bright side for it. I actually quite like the CG graphics shows like it, Clone Wars, Max Steel etc. are using, even if it doesn't have the budget to populate Gotham the way the Clone Wars populates it's battles, cities, backgrounds and thoroughfares. I don't find it's as glaring in BtB as it was in Green Lantern for instance, since Green Lantern was so much more epic in scale. It was supposed to be telling a story of a universal war, but they only ever visited a handful of planets, most of which had only a couple of people on them and even their enemies, such as the Red Lanterns were composed of tiny militaries - 3 or 4 Lanterns and some drone-bots. This is sticking solely to one city, and mostly at night when there'd be less folk around anyways. It does have it's problems granted, quite a few of them even, but many of those can be ironed out over the course of it's first season and possibly produce something of much greater worth. Maybe I'm just hopeful for a Batman story with more of a focus on serial storytelling and character development - which there seems to be a good chance this will have. Though of course, there's nothing to say they won't bungle it completely even if they go for that. Regardless, Avatar took 10 or 12 episodes to produce a really fantastic episode, even if it still started stronger than this, so I'm willing told out in hopes it'll find it's stride in the next while.

Also, since someone mentioned it in the last page or two, are there any subs of The Mysterious Cities of Gold floating around? And if there are, does it assume direct knowledge of the old show or does it summarize events from it through exposition in the first few episodes or show a direct flashback, summary or otherwise explain them? I watched it growing up, but it was one of the first shows I ever saw and I'm pretty sure I've never seen quite a lot of it - even if I had, it was 25 to 30 years ago now. I assume it doesn't, but asking just in case.

Finally, does anyone know what the story is with Transformers: Prime? The series itself is over now, barring the (presumably made for TV) movie, but they seem to be setting up a sequel series of some kind given the references to Unit E, the movie name being Predacons: Rising and the fact that Smokescreen's character arc appears to be unresolved for the moment. I'd be willing to bet that the movie will end with Starscream killing Optimus Prime as revenge for, and a parallel to Bumblebee killing Megatron - after Optimus kills Megs once more as Galvatron which would appear to set up a new series where the Autobots with Jack, Miko & Raf in Unit E fight the Predacons and possibly the remnants of the Decepticons and Vampire Arachnia and her Insecticons - which could be interesting, but as far as I know there's no news on it yet. I'm not really all that familiar with Transformers though, so I could easily have missed news, especially with Comic-Con only over a few days.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 29, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

It bugs the crap out of me that they gave Spider-Man a giant robot in the most :effort: way imaginable. It's not even using his color scheme :argh:

Amazingly enough, that was actually the first live-action show in Japan to give the a hero a giant robot companion/vehicle/transformation. Why Spider-Man specifically? Who knows? :japan:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Amazingly enough, that was actually the first live-action show in Japan to give the a hero a giant robot companion/vehicle/transformation. Why Spider-Man specifically? Who knows? :japan:

Even predating Super Sentai?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

raditts posted:

Even predating Super Sentai?

wiki posted:

After the completion of Spider-Man, Toei began developing a new show with Marvel that would have starred a Japanese counterpart of Captain America named Captain Japan. However, the show was retooled during development and aired as Battle Fever J, the third installment of Toei's Super Sentai series.[49]
This was the second series to have a superhero (as opposed to a costumed pilot) ride a giant robot, the first being Ganbaron. The success of this series led to the revival of the Sentai series as the "Super Sentai Series." "Battle Fever J" (1979), the third Sentai Series, was the first "Super Sentai," as the five heroes therein rode a giant robot.

The first two Sentai series predate Spider-Man, but Super Sentai does not.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer that the world leave anime-poo poo Teen Titans in the past where it belongs.

To be fair, while the show did have a nearly terminal case of wacky anime-face early on it did ratchet it down over time. By season 3 it wasn't that bad and by the time the show had ended it had actually found a pretty good groove for itself animation-wise.

Though I'm a colossal weaboo so I'm probably biased on the matter.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Gaunab posted:

Your first mistake was trusting Man of Action to make a good show.

I liked Ben 10: Omniverse v:shobon:v

I enjoy Teen Titans Go so much more than the original. Sure, it might lack almost all of the suspense DC-cartoons usually hold, but it just uses its wackiness so much better than the old show. It also manages to make (semi)-relevant jokes without feeling embarassing; Robin being a super-white kid taking selfies and listening to gangsta-rap is hilarious. Anyone hating on the show because "it got rid of the old one" is an idiot and needs to stop pairing fictional characters. Let's see which show will hold up better in 5 years.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really at this rate, I'm just waiting for it to be canned in favour of something worse. That's how the DC Marvel blocks tend to work.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey here's this

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/31/20728...mpaign=20130731

It's pretty :unsmith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's actually really cool. It looks fairly kiddy in it's characterization, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It does look very pretty though, agreed. She has a very ninja design despite the apparent desire to keep her non-violent - even the throwing pens looked very kunai-ish for the half second they appear in the trailer. Wonder if they'll just be releasing episodes in English straight to Youtube?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Presentation is really stiff and awkward, but goddamn I love that concept. Just imagine trying to pitch this idea to any major studio.

Fake Edit: I gave in and got that Raven avatar. No regrets!

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

horriblePencilist posted:

Presentation is really stiff and awkward, but goddamn I love that concept. Just imagine trying to pitch this idea to any major studio.

Let's give credit where it's due, Pakistan's animation has come a long way since 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Q0_DgXHG0

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wander over Yonder intro is pretty exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwN5HLiZ7_o

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I watched two episodes of Grojband this morning.

Show sucks; probably Canadian.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Sockser posted:

I watched two episodes of Grojband this morning.

Show sucks; probably Canadian.

You are right on both counts.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Devil Tesla posted:

This is a show that's a reference to every single episodic 1980's fantasy/science fantasy TV show ever.

Even the backgrounds look like they could belong to Masters of the Universe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Devil Tesla posted:

From the VERY LITTLE (C'MON DISNEY CHRIST) stuff that they've shown from this show, I think it looks like it's gonna be pretty good. I like Jack Mcbrayer, it looks like it could be funny, and the animation is top notch. Is it safe to say that we're in the middle of a new animated show renaissance? Between this show, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and the several other shows I just haven't gotten around to watching that I hear are good (like the new Teen Titan and Ninja Turtles) it really seems that way. Especially excited that Disney channel is starting to get some great stuff as well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like the new Ninja Turtles- it's a combination of the 1987 cartoon's goofiness and the 2003 cartoon's storyline continuity. I don't particularly like the animation, though.

Also Mae Whitman voices April O'Neill :swoon:

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
After reading people talking about it in this thread, I've been watching Mystery Inc on Netflix and it's pretty awesome. I like that there's an over-arching mystery and that it sort of both stays true to and simultaneously subtly sends up all that is Scooby Doo. Plus adding a little more depth to the characters in the meantime. From what I remember reading here, it sounds like it got canned which is too bad.

Also this might just make sense to anybody who lives in the state of New York, but Mr. E sounds like the guys who does the New York lotto commercials on the radio lately.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

scorpiobean posted:

After reading people talking about it in this thread, I've been watching Mystery Inc on Netflix and it's pretty awesome. I like that there's an over-arching mystery and that it sort of both stays true to and simultaneously subtly sends up all that is Scooby Doo. Plus adding a little more depth to the characters in the meantime. From what I remember reading here, it sounds like it got canned which is too bad.

Also this might just make sense to anybody who lives in the state of New York, but Mr. E sounds like the guys who does the New York lotto commercials on the radio lately.

It got two seasons and tied them up quite nicely. It's a shame there wasn't more, but good shows tend to suffer like that what with scheduling and all impacting when new episodes showed up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Macaluso posted:

From the VERY LITTLE (C'MON DISNEY CHRIST) stuff that they've shown from this show, I think it looks like it's gonna be pretty good. I like Jack Mcbrayer, it looks like it could be funny, and the animation is top notch. Is it safe to say that we're in the middle of a new animated show renaissance? Between this show, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and the several other shows I just haven't gotten around to watching that I hear are good (like the new Teen Titan and Ninja Turtles) it really seems that way. Especially excited that Disney channel is starting to get some great stuff as well.

You're forgetting all the stuff coming in the fall!
Steven Universe, Uncle Grandpa, and Clarence on CN, at the very least, plus maybe some other shows?

I think a lot of factors all came together at exactly the right time and that's why you're seeing all these great animated shows right now.
1. A lot of people heading these shows grew up legitimately caring about cartoons and animation as a medium rather than a way to have a career
2. Adventure time had a ton of loving buzz online just from the short on Oh Yeah! Cartoons

So when AT finally got picked up, it loving BLEW UP and then Regular Show DID THE SAME loving THING and then Gravity Falls DID THE SAME loving THING while all the other shows that just kinda get slapped together just exist.

AT and RS show merch is available at every loving store and flies off the goddamned shelves, while I'm pretty sure Johnny Test has sold like 2 TShirts over the loving decade it's been on the air.

To be fair, Problem Solverz and Secret Mountain Fort Awesome both tanked pretty quick (I thought they were both :krad: but that's me)

So studios are paying attention to animation students who want to do cool things

But then I guess Steven Universe is sort of an Adventure Time spin-off and Uncle Grandpa's creative team already did Secret Mountain Fort Awesome.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is a show that's a reference to every single episodic 1980's fantasy/science fantasy TV show ever.

Given that this is a Craig McCracken production, you can bet your rear end that's intentional. He'd posted concept sketches for it years ago on DeviantArt, so I've been looking forward to this for a very long time. The theme is by a jazz duo called The Two Man Gentlemen Band whose banjoist Andy bean is also doing the rest of the music for the show. Good stuff, Maynard.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WendigoJohnson posted:

Honestly, the thing it most strongly reminds me of looking at the intro is a 60's cartoon I saw on Cartoon Network occasionally growing up in the 80s called Here Comes the Grump. I think it might just be the design of the horse and the way he's animated and moves which reminds me pretty strongly of the eponymous Grump's pet dragon and the way he moved and was animated. I think the rather trippy visuals, character and world design is pretty reminiscent of it is as well though. Not to say that it may not just be pure coincidence, given that lots of shows have very out there designs for the characters and worlds - especially more magical or alien ones, just that I imagine the guy creating it is taking influence from a lot of shows from the 60s and 70s, possibly even the 90s as well as the 80s.

Edit: The most annoying thing about Here Comes the Grump is that I can never remember the show's loving name because I saw so little of it when I was a kid, but it's oddball visuals always stuck out so much in my mind that I'll always remember those for some reason.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 4, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

scorpiobean posted:

Is the lotto guy Lewis Black? Because that's who voices Mr. E.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

raditts posted:

Is the lotto guy Lewis Black? Because that's who voices Mr. E.

Well I looked it up out of curiosity and according to this article, yes it actually is!

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

There is a new preview clip for Uncle Grandpa on youtube.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hope this isn't like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends where he just abandons any pretense of actual decent plot or jokes in favor more and more ~wacky and lovable creature designs~.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hope this isn't like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends where he just abandons any pretense of actual decent plot or jokes in favor more and more ~wacky and lovable creature designs~.

I liked Foster's (mostly). Anyway it reminds me of old video games. I also saw a link that showed Steven Universe. That looked pretty good even though i didn't like his design at first. I'm glad shows have started to use actual child voice actors now. Makes the characters much less grating than they used to be.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Here's the clip from Wander Over Yonder they showed at ComicCon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP5z5l0h1Cg

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Giant realistic flying tiger also has her own show.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So I watched Season 2 of Ultimate Spiderman (somehow), and I gotta say... It's actually an improvement over the first season.

Don't get me wrong, it still has the same faults the first season had, and it's no Spectacular Spiderman by a longshot, but it's definitely better.
The pacing feels better, it seems like they went easier on the cutaway gags (though it sometimes seems like they just replaced it with more time-stop) and there appears to be more fighting, which also was clearer and better. The support characters are more important, each member of Spiderman's team has a (usually pretty nice) episode dedicated to them, with Spiderman tagging along, as opposed to him saving the day. The plots themselves are a bit better as well. Truth be told, I skipped two episodes because I knew they were going to be boring or rehashing old tropes, but there's some cool stuff hidden between the mediocrity (Stan Lee's monologue about Spiderman fighting Lizard comes to mind). There's even a Deadpool episode which isn't that bad; Deadpool is pretty accurate to the comics especially considering this is a cartoon for children; and Will Friedle does a pretty great job portraying the character.

Who knows, maybe by Season 3 the show will actually be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I don't get why they bothered using the Ultimate universe for the show instead of just setting it up as some generic whatever-universe. Like you have Ultimate Fury, Ultimate Green Goblin and so on but then you get to Deadpool and it's just wacky Wade Wilson as opposed to actual Ultimate Deadpool.