Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
The harbor freight clicker wrenches were tested as accurate in several magazine articles. The main thing with any clicker torque wrench is to remove all tension/set it back to zero when not in use. Otherwise the constant pressure on the spring will make it read lower over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Springs do not work like that! They wear from compress-decompress cycles, not from being stored compressed. It's like that wive's tale about unloading magazines when not in use.

Right? :shobon:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sir Cornelius posted:

Could easily be misinterpreted by law enforcement officers. It's generally not recommendable to drive around with bolt cutters.

That said, H.K. Porter makes very nice industrial grade bolt cutters - not much will withstand a 42" H.K. Porter. For casual use, Knipex are neat too.

Happy motorcycle stealing.
I appreciate the info - those look pretty nice.

I'm not worried about it, because I would never consent to a search of my vehicle, would never give PC, and they'd be in a box containing lots of other tools, as well.

And no, I'm not stealing motorcycles.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Raluek posted:

Springs do not work like that! They wear from compress-decompress cycles, not from being stored compressed. It's like that wive's tale about unloading magazines when not in use.

At normal temperatures and stresses, no, they don't wear at all at rest while stressed, at least not that you could measure. Or during routine compression cycles, for that matter. They only lose their spring if they're overcompressed/overstretched (plastic deformation) or stressed near the yield poind at high temperatures (creep).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

The harbor freight clicker wrenches were tested as accurate in several magazine articles. The main thing with any clicker torque wrench is to remove all tension/set it back to zero when not in use. Otherwise the constant pressure on the spring will make it read lower over time.

Wrong.

Raluek posted:

Right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The only nuance to that is with the magazine thing........

Feed lips do get deformed, especially on PMags without the clip thing on top of them. But now we need to move this over to TFR.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can you guys point me to easily-digested reference material for this? Because one of the guys at work is an aggro vocal dick about unloading torque wrenches and also not much of a reader. :rolleyes:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Just tell him your brother-in-law is a mechanical engineer and that he said it's BS.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FatCow posted:

Just tell him your brother-in-law is a mechanical engineer and that he said it's BS.

LMAO you think the average technician is going to respect the word of an engineer? They cuss the engineers out for any and every packaging decision that doesn't result in maximum accessibility to every component on the car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fucknag posted:

LMAO you think the average technician is going to respect the word of an engineer? They cuss the engineers out for any and every packaging decision that doesn't result in maximum accessibility to every component on the car.
Tell him it's above his pay grade.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Can you guys point me to easily-digested reference material for this? Because one of the guys at work is an aggro vocal dick about unloading torque wrenches and also not much of a reader. :rolleyes:

Try this:
http://www.spaceflight.esa.int/impress/text/education/Mechanical%20Properties/Creep.html

and, hit next for Fatigue.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The instructions my Craftsman torque wrench came with did say to reduce it to 25% or less when storing. It may be unnecessary, but it's what they say. And it doesn't take much effort to do, so I make sure I do it each time.

But it would be good to know I don't have to get :supaburn: if I forget and pull it out 3 weeks later and it's cranked.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Astroman posted:

The instructions my Craftsman torque wrench came with did say to reduce it to 25% or less when storing. It may be unnecessary, but it's what they say. And it doesn't take much effort to do, so I make sure I do it each time.

But it would be good to know I don't have to get :supaburn: if I forget and pull it out 3 weeks later and it's cranked.

My Armstrong torque wrench specifically stated that it does not need to be set down below a limit when not in use.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

The Fatigue page especially is fascinating, thanks!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My torque wrench won't fit in the case unless I crank it down below some value or other, so it gets set below that before being put away.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Looking at doing a couple of short custom harnesses for a project and I want to use weatherpack connectors for future-proofing instead of soldering stuff together and hoping I never need to take it out. Do I seriously need a $110 delphi crimper for this stuff?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I may be alone on this one but god I hate weatherpacks.

Go with MX150s or something, anything, else instead. FCI, Amphenol, and Delphi make a whole bunch of awesome automotive connectors that don't blow goat rear end. Weatherpacks belong in the 80s whence they came.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I am a big fan Deutsch DT / DTM connectors. Mostly because of the way the three contact ones look. I am a sucker for triangles.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kastein posted:

I may be alone on this one but god I hate weatherpacks.

Go with MX150s or something, anything, else instead. FCI, Amphenol, and Delphi make a whole bunch of awesome automotive connectors that don't blow goat rear end. Weatherpacks belong in the 80s whence they came.

You're pretty much the first person who has ever said they hate weatherpacks. I love the drat things. They're hard to pull apart if they don't get dielectric, though.

I suppose they're still infuriating, but I like them more than the other million variants of weatherproof plugs.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
I was planning to do weatherpacks because it's easy to find kits and I'm not gonna have the boat in front of me to plan what to order. Ummmm... so about the crimper...?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Is this a good deal?

I originally went in for the angle head metric set. I quickly turned into Joe Dirt when I saw these. I said dang that's a good deal brother these things are usually 14 bucks a pop and this guy only wants 2.50.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Springs CAN (but not WILL) technically wear from compression. This is called creep. It is very unlikely to happen in a measurable amount under anything like normal conditions.

Look up a creep study on A231 steel or a similar alloy. If well below the plastic region of a stress strain curve, it is very unlikely this will happen at sub 200*F temperatures.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1304_torque_wrench_testing/

It may be wrong, but on the other hand it costs nothing to turn down the tension when not in use.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

fps_bill posted:

Is this a good deal?

I originally went in for the angle head metric set. I quickly turned into Joe Dirt when I saw these. I said dang that's a good deal brother these things are usually 14 bucks a pop and this guy only wants 2.50.

That's a great deal, buy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Material Science is one of the coolest fields.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Phone posted:

Material Science is one of the coolest fields.
It's interesting as hell to see what goes on at the atomic level when materials are stressed, like how microscopic material defects increase stresses, subtle deformations at grain boundaries, and how cracks propagate. Shame we can't really see it in action without a tunneling electron microscope.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

1st Edition ADandD posted:

I was planning to do weatherpacks because it's easy to find kits and I'm not gonna have the boat in front of me to plan what to order. Ummmm... so about the crimper...?

You can get away with a cheap $30 SK if you are just doing a couple of jumpers/connectors and it's properly sized. A ratcheting crimper with the right dies is a must if you are going to be using it a lot.
Be sure to get something specific to Weatherpack and it will work. Then practice on a few wire scraps to get your crimps looking good.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

It may be wrong, but on the other hand it costs nothing to turn down the tension when not in use.

I always return mine to the lowest setting, but I understand the science behind it. Like you said, it costs nothing.

I've read a couple of articles in Hot Rod and Car Craft that read like that one. They all read "We're trying our Harbor Freight (TM) doohickey against the Snap On variety. Man, Harbor Freight (TM) sure is great."

It makes me question their integrity, because we all know how much advertising HF does in those mags.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I read somewhere (here?) that unloading a torque wrench all the way is bad because parts (seals?) are designed to work under some load, so I lessen the tension, but not to zero. Down to like 10%. Plus, I don't think it fits back in the case completely unloaded...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Technically, turning the tension down wears the spring out marginally faster than not turning it down.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Used my HF wrench today. I had to torque to 162 ft-lbs on a 150 ft-lb torque wrench. I just turned to where it would be and said gently caress it. :smug:

(I hope my axles don't fall out)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

camino posted:

I always return mine to the lowest setting, but I understand the science behind it. Like you said, it costs nothing.

30 seconds is 30 seconds, and only worthless by choice. :colbert:

Especially when my gloves are covered in oil and leaking sweat in spurts when I grab something.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
SnapOn MT2500 scanner.... worth it?

I would like it to work with my E60 and Land Rover, and do other oddball cars. I know you have to buy the keys and modules... any one care to explain how it works?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

You're pretty much the first person who has ever said they hate weatherpacks. I love the drat things. They're hard to pull apart if they don't get dielectric, though.

I suppose they're still infuriating, but I like them more than the other million variants of weatherproof plugs.

My problems with them stem from how they don't keep weather out (I've seen more of them turn into gross piles of greenish gunk inside than any other automotive connector, except other stupid crap that should have stayed in the 80s too) the seals like to get baggy and slide around and the stupid tangs that hold the pins in occasionally bend back, letting the pin fall out. Oh, and the pins have so much wobble room in the socket even under normal conditions that sometimes they won't line up right for me and I have to jiggle everything to get them to plug in.

Delphi GT150, Molex MX150, Lear MKR and MKS Plus (great if you love triangles), and Delphi/FCI APEX 2.8mm automotive connectors are far superior.

I should probably sperg about this in the automotive tech thread instead of the tool thread, honestly.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 6, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I hate every connector, none of them will come apart when you need them to and none of them connect when you need them to.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

thebigcow posted:

I hate every connector, none of them will come apart when you need them to and none of them connect when you need them to.

I don't know what brand/type it is that Audi uses for connectors but I quite like them.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with ordering Milwaukee's factory reconditioned tools? Specifically I'm looking at the M18 Cordless Impact wrench kit which sells for $80 less reconditioned vs new, pretty hefty difference. Milwaukee is a very reputable brand and the recon units do still come with a 1 year warranty, should I save the cash for some impact sockets or just pay up and get the retail?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have the recondition units from northern tools and they were great. A little scratched up and they had some engravings on them from the factory, but id recommend them.
M18 drill, driver, sawzall, and light.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Milwaukee was bought by a Chinese conglomerate in 2005 and nearly all of its production moved there. They're probably on par with most of the other Chinese-made power tools, but they're not the premium brand they used to be. A reconditioned Milwaukee isn't going to be any better than a reconditioned anything else, but for the price it's probably not a bad deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Brain Issues posted:

I don't know what brand/type it is that Audi uses for connectors but I quite like them.

Bosch EV probably.