Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

If that DFAC wasn't Luxembourg or Far East, you were doing it wrong.

Far East was okay but consistently gave me the runs. Cambridge and Luxembourg were awful and I can't understand why several people here like them. Independence every day--great (for KAF) sandwiches. The one up north was okay too if I was up there doing something with one of the squadrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Derek Dominoe posted:

Independence every day

now i know the depths of disappointment.

Luxembourg was awesome for the Indian nights, and when I was leaving Afg the first time around, for the Christmas dinners.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
fuckin pogs up in this thread

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

You had a choice too. You get all the glory and respect. I get salsa nights and DFAC ice cream.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
When I was a SOF MARINE, I'd fill my MARPAT with RIPITS at the DFAC then huff it back past the poo pond. (Without huffing; we SOF MARINES don't need oxygen).

grover fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wasabi the J posted:

You had a choice too. You get all the glory and respect. I get salsa nights and DFAC ice cream.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Cambridge and Luxembourg were awful and I can't understand why several people here like them.

Seconding that - the contractors in Cambridge (2011) got kicked out because it was so bad. Niagara was where it was at - Mexican night was for winners and it had an ice cream machine that mixed two flavors together.

War is hell man, war is hell.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
I never understood how people could go running outside at KAF with that poo poo in the air. I knew some guys that would run right past the pond.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I never understood how people could go running outside at KAF with that poo poo in the air. I knew some guys that would run right past the pond.

if you ever move to a southeast asian country you can very easily stand the smell. thats what all the cities in SE asia smell like, especially Jakarta.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

8lbsofanalsex posted:

poo poo I used to run by the burnpit. Might've given myself lung cancer for what I know.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

grover posted:

When I was a SOF MARINE, I'd fill my MARPAT with RIPITS at the DFAC then huff it back past the poo pond. (Without huffing; we SOF MARINES don't need oxygen).

IDR?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

-Anders posted:

poo poo I used to run by the burnpit. Might've given myself lung cancer for what I know.
gently caress I used to live next to the burnpit.

Wasabi the J posted:

If that DFAC wasn't Luxembourg or Far East, you were doing it wrong.

Monti all day. Cambridge if I felt like eating weirdo breakfast.

My favorite sign:

Smoke Crack fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 4, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Derek Dominoe posted:

Far East was okay but consistently gave me the runs. Cambridge and Luxembourg were awful and I can't understand why several people here like them. Independence every day--great (for KAF) sandwiches. The one up north was okay too if I was up there doing something with one of the squadrons.

Is the Tyler Durden and Banksy art still up at Independence?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
It was in 2011.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I can testify through Nov 2012 that it was still there.

Nog
May 15, 2006

We got to refit at KAF twice when they made us drive down 7 hours to get our MATVs swapped out. Heard about all these cool guy DFACs, but seriously gently caress all that, it was all about how much Kandahar Deli pizza and fake blizzards you could cram down your throat in the 18 hours you were there. Thank God they stuck me at some bullshit COP. If I had been on KAF, I would have probably left there at 300 lbs.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was on kaf for 7 months and that poo poo was like a puppy behind a glass window. we were way in bfe on kaf and it would take 30+ minutes to get anywhere but the independence, so we weren't allowed to leave work for that long. we got mermites delivered and lived in tents. we actually found rockets after attacks when we did par sweeps. kaf blows i dont want to go back there unless i get a cake job

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ripped0ff posted:

We got to refit at KAF twice when they made us drive down 7 hours to get our MATVs swapped out. Heard about all these cool guy DFACs, but seriously gently caress all that, it was all about how much Kandahar Deli pizza and fake blizzards you could cram down your throat in the 18 hours you were there. Thank God they stuck me at some bullshit COP. If I had been on KAF, I would have probably left there at 300 lbs.

Napoli Pizza was better. Also for snacks, the "Blue PX" behind the boardwalk was phenomenal; don't go there for electronics, though, because VAT was insane.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Derek Dominoe posted:

I can testify through Nov 2012 that it was still there.

Was up as of a couple weeks ago.

DrCuntmuffins posted:

I was on kaf for 7 months and that poo poo was like a puppy behind a glass window. we were way in bfe on kaf and it would take 30+ minutes to get anywhere but the independence, so we weren't allowed to leave work for that long. we got mermites delivered and lived in tents. we actually found rockets after attacks when we did par sweeps. kaf blows i dont want to go back there unless i get a cake job

I'd say 85% of the meals I've eaten here have been mermites (Far East mermites are way better than the Indy's). At least I live in CBS.

I'm probably coming back here within a year or two after I leave. :smithicide:

Wasabi the J posted:

Also for snacks, the "Blue PX" behind the boardwalk was phenomenal; don't go there for electronics, though, because VAT was insane.

Their smokes selection is also excellent.

(click for huge)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
http://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-considers-cancelling-f-35-program-48653/
:woop:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who was the dumbass congresswoman who said "we can't cancel the program, we've spent too much money on it!" back in like 2008? It's my favorite example of sunk cost fallacy.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Never gonna happen. The Marines have no plan B, and if there's anything the JSF program has taught us it's that the USMC gets what it wants when it comes to procurement (EFV notwithstanding), the USAF has no plan B now because we pissed away the last decade on pursuing the JSF instead of going after a balanced fleet of an adequate number of Raptors and new build F-16s and/or Strike Eagles, the Navy has a sort of plan B in the form of the Super Bug but that in and of itself was a plan B after the A-12 and NATF programs imploded, and most significantly, pretty much every major US ally (along with a bunch of other countries) has invested a shitload of time and money in the F-35 and if we pull out the per unit cost would skyrocket, to the point where many of those air forces would be unable to afford any...and since they've already invested a bunch of time and money, the likelihood of going with a plan B is slim, so their air forces would get to continue limping along with what they've got now. The international shitstorm would be considerable, to say the least.

And that's not even getting into the domestic side of things regarding how far and wide the supply chain is spread throughout the land...pretty sure if LockMart could've found a way to get something in each Congressional district they would've.

It is hilarious that we are considering scrapping the LRS-B program in favor of keeping a big Army though. Because that makes sense. Step 1 for not needing a big army: don't get involved in decade long counterinsurgencies that serve no point beyond wasting money and lives and that contribute nothing to your security.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 4, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marines can just use super hornets. It's not like the F-35 was vstol. They'll still just be launching off of carriers.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
Oh bugger, do you think the US Marines will sell the Royal Navy back their Harriers?

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
kill the airforce and roll it back into the army

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I thought the Marine ones would be off LPD/LHAs. Or fictional dirt pads in deep-jungle bases.

The Navy -might- be able to stretch the Superbugs out till the stealth drone is fleet-ready, but it's a long stretch.

International customers would be ringing up Sukhoi.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought the Marine ones would be off LPD/LHAs. Or fictional dirt pads in deep-jungle bases.

The Navy -might- be able to stretch the Superbugs out till the stealth drone is fleet-ready, but it's a long stretch.

Not much point in buying them if they can't fly off of LHA/LHDs

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It all ignores that whatever airframe you get, it needs avionics that won't be hopelessly obsolete within a decade, and there's no way to do that very cheaply. Most cost-effective option there would be something like an F-16I-style Viper variant, and that's because the bare airframe these days is cheaper than a Hyundai.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 4, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Veins McGee posted:

Not much point in buying them if they can't fly off of LHA/LHDs

I guess there is a vstol version. TMYK!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Red7 posted:

Oh bugger, do you think the US Marines will sell the Royal Navy back their Harriers?

Time for some Dassault Rafale's :barf:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I also have little sympathy for a congressman complaining about a 60% price rise over the last twelve years when over half of that is due purely to inflation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marines can just use super hornets. It's not like the F-35 was vstol. They'll still just be launching off of carriers.

I should've been more clear...the Marines would say themselves that they have no plan B because nothing else is V/STOL and they absolutely positively must have V/STOL because reasons, also Henderson Field.

I would say they would take SHs and like it.

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's no way in hell any NATO customer is going to go with a Russian company, same goes for the Aussies and JASDF. You do that you can pretty much throw interoperability with the US right out the window because fat chance we'd allow them to integrate any US/NATO munition, avionics package, or datalink on a Russian aircraft.

And those countries are pretty much the extent of the F-35's confirmed sales, other than Israel who would be idiots to buy anything other than US since we'll practically buy it for them.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

iyaayas01 posted:

I should've been more clear...the Marines would say themselves that they have no plan B because nothing else is V/STOL and they absolutely positively must have V/STOL because reasons, also Henderson Field.

I would say they would take SHs and like it.

The Air Force should fire up the production lines for the B-52 and crank out another two hundred. Now they don't need a new bomber because the F-22s will sweep the enemy from the sky, right?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

The Air Force should fire up the production lines for the B-52 and crank out another two hundred. Now they don't need a new bomber because the F-22s will sweep the enemy from the sky, right?

I'm just saying that maybe the Navy's army's air force doesn't absolutely need a $200M supersonic STOVL stealth fighter...that maybe that money could've been better spent to make sure that the actual Air Force has enough (cheaper than the F-35 and much higher performing to boot) Raptors to do its job.

\/ Get blown up on the ground by insurgents with RPGs \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 4, 2013

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

There's no reason for Marines to have fixed wing poo poo beyond C-130's anyway. Do harriers even do anything besides crash and gently caress up every mission given to them?

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bolow posted:

There's no reason for Marines to have fixed wing poo poo beyond C-130's anyway. Do harriers even do anything besides crash and gently caress up every mission given to them?

Occasionally they lose 6 of them in one attack to a bunch of unorganized farmers in the worlds poorest nation
http://www.examiner.com/article/attack-destroyed-six-marine-av-8b-harrier-jets-afghanistan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
sick meme bro

• Locked thread