Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Mio Bison posted:

Castle Utgard threw people off though because Reiner didn't act like a human titan in those scenes at loving all so chapter 44 actually was a huge surprise for me, good work author.

There are a few scenes where they almost transform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Feriowind posted:

Isayama actually refuses to state Hanji's actual gender when asked about it, so I don't think anyone knows for sure!

I can't find the source for this now, but I believe Kodansha got in touch with Isayama when they were doing the translation, and he said it was OK for them to use feminine pronouns for her in the English version, for whatever that's worth.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, there's one thing the anime thread hasn't figured out yet: Annie essentially murdered Marco in order to create an alibi for the deaths of the captured Titans. That revelation will probably hit some people hard, especially since the anime has built up Marco's death as a case of "not everyone dies with fanfare, some people die alone".

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Was that definitively stated somewhere that she killed him? I thought she just took his 3DMG

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

dirty nub posted:

It just seems weird to me that the people living behind the wall have no knowledge of their history outside of "titans showed up and killed everyone." I thought it was mentioned that only 100 years had passed since the titans showed up. A huge wall like that doesn't just appear overnight and even considering the wall is made out of titans people would have to know about that. It just seems like there might be more to it. Maybe some kind of north korea brain washing or the war has been going on longer than 100 years.

That's my biggest problem with the plot too.

100 years its a really short time for history to have been almost completely forgotten like this. I can understand that the wall cult and the government made history kida of a taboo and outlawed the history books and all, but still, it has been only a century.

There is no way even oral history about the events would have vanished so fast.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Marco's death was an anomaly in that he wasn't eaten.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's my biggest problem with the plot too.

100 years its a really short time for history to have been almost completely forgotten like this. I can understand that the wall cult and the government made history kida of a taboo and outlawed the history books and all, but still, it has been only 100 year.

There is no way even oral history about the events would have vanished so fast.

That assumes that most people even really understood the Titans as the events unfolded.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Denim Avenger posted:

That assumes that most people even really understood the Titans as the events unfolded.

No, Im only assuming that some people saw and remembered how they found/built the walls and when that was and where were they before and would tell his grandchildren about it because why not?

A century is not that much time. Armin's father's grandfather, for example, could to have been alive by the time humanity came to the walls.

And 100 years also seems like a really shot period for then to have built such a big country inside those walls.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 4, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

Was that definitively stated somewhere that she killed him? I thought she just took his 3DMG
I think it was assumed (by Levi and others) that Marco was half-eaten by Annie in order to not damage his 3DMG completely, since Marco's corpse was found without his gear.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

There is absolutely no way Annie would've titaned

Annie could've just choked him to death or stabbed him. I don't think they would bother to do forensics examinations after a titan battle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

Not really. He had pretty similar injuries to the guy who made that really unfortunate marriage promise, just on a different bit of his body. Seemed to fall in the standard 'death by titan' spectrum.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, Im only assuming that some people saw and remembered how they found/built the walls and when that was and where were they before and would tell his grandchildren about it because why not?

A century is not that much time. Armin's father's grandfather, for example, could to have been alive by the time humanity came to the walls.

And 100 years also seems like a really shot period for then to have built such a big country inside those walls.

That generational gap is why I think it still makes sense how little the kids seem to know. 100 years in a preindustrial society without significant medical advancements beyond one guy is probably enough time that Eren's group is almost definitely the second generation born inside the walls and maybe even the third. Considering both the generation above him's Titan attitude of "if we ignore it, it's not there" that would have been ingrained in them by their previous generation and the upper class and wall cult's lockdown of information about titans, I'm willing to believe most information about the outside world could be lost in such a short time to the characters we primarily interact with. And I do think the walls and cities must have been here much longer than 100 years. It's just that no one who lives on the inside wants to talk about it to the kids.

AnonSpore posted:

Did the official translations really go with Fubar instead of Hoover/Huber? Because if so then god drat that is dumb.

Only if it isn't an intentional pun considering what that character does. But it's almost certainly not, so yes, it should be Huber or something close.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Perhaps a titan was approaching their location, Annie saw her chance to get some 3D gear to kill those titans they heard had just been caught, and knocked out ir otherwise subdued Marco, stole his gear, and left him to be eaten.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elotana posted:

It's not definitive that she killed him, just implied- she doesn't confirm it. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c031/36.html

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2013

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Not really. He had pretty similar injuries to the guy who made that really unfortunate marriage promise, just on a different bit of his body. Seemed to fall in the standard 'death by titan' spectrum.
Ok you're right I mis-remembered. He had a pretty big chunk eaten out of him. Annie and conspirators could've just honestly picked up any gear off the battlefield without having to hurt anyone.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Wow the anime is about as subtle as a flying brick. They're just dumping all the secrets out with their little sound effects and exaggerated moments. At least the colossal titan is still a mystery.

That and the basement :downs:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

To be fair without a discussion forum of people scrutinizing every moment most people wouldn't notice these clues.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Well the manga had forums full of people scrutinizing every moment, and while a couple of people put the pieces together the theory never really gained any traction.

The manga is really good at foreshadowing that's simultaneously subtle and in-your-face obvious on a reread, I'm not too surprised that didn't survive the move to a different medium.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
You guys care an awful lot about viewers of a different medium experiencing the story the exact same and "correct" way as you did in a different medium. Who cares? Reminds me of Game of Thrones book readers.

edit: Some of you guys anyways, didn't mean to generalize.

vvvvvvvvv Who cares if they experience the story beats the same way as you? Why do you care? It's a completely different medium. If you want them to mimic your experience you should get them to read, then they can follow the same story beats that you experienced.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 4, 2013

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Uh, do you not get how knowing who the Human Titans are (in some cases a dozen or more episodes before the reveal) changes the tone of the story and how people interpret the actions of characters significantly?

I mean, Titan Annie isn't so major a thing, but for the other two that's a pretty big chunk of clever foreshadowing gone to waste because of poor animation choices and/or assholes hiding spoilers as speculation.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

comedyblissoption posted:

Maybe I'm not remembering right but when you see Marco hasn't he been bit clean in half? He wasn't swallowed by a titan but it certainly looked like one tried to, then left the rest of him to rot after he died.]

EDIT: I need to remember to refresh threads.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I don't think knowing who the titans are will make things substantially worse. Maybe a bit different is all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the "Would You Kindly" of Attack on Titan.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Here, have another height chart. While I'm not 100% positive that this is completely canonical, I'm pretty sure this is more accurate and reputable than the other one.

Levi is 5'3" jesus christ.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 5, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Armin almost has a bobblehead in that lineup, its size looks pretty goofy.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

The inside front cover (or inside of the dust jacket?) of every JP volume has some badly mangled/reversed Japanese over a picture explaining that humanity sailed across the ocean to escape the titans and found the walls when they arrived at the next continent. Might be a legit history of the Attack on Titan world, might be a falsified one, who knows. Lots of theories out there to explain how that happened and why the church/royalty are suppressing info about the wall/outside world, no way to prove/disprove any of them.

Well if we consider the walls were built beforehand(out of titans) it could be possible humans were somehow corralled into the walls. It also seems weird to me that they sailed to another continent and decided to explore it without settling near the ocean.(can titans swim?) I don't know, I hope all of this is somehow explained in the plot and not an oversight in the writing. The main characters act pretty logically but humanity's actions as a whole don't make much sense.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

dirty nub posted:

Well if we consider the walls were built beforehand(out of titans) it could be possible humans were somehow corralled into the walls. It also seems weird to me that they sailed to another continent and decided to explore it without settling near the ocean.(can titans swim?) I don't know, I hope all of this is somehow explained in the plot and not an oversight in the writing. The main characters act pretty logically but humanity's actions as a whole don't make much sense.

If the walls were built before humanity would be using it as the final stronghold, which I can't imagine it working any other way, then it's likely the people sailing from across the oceans would be coming to the walls for protection specifically rather than just randomly running from titans.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

dirty nub posted:

Well, the scouting legion has only been a limited distance beyond the walls. The coastline could be a bit over the horizon from the outer wall between the gates and they'd never know.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Assuming that the higher concentration of titans outside the outermost walls makes overnight travel impractical, then the coast only needs to be abut 30Km away to be unreachable. That would also put it well over the horizon. If multi-day expeditions are a thing that happened before Sina fell however, then this becomes much more unreasonable.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Elias_Maluco posted:

Again, you're assuming the majority of humanity understood how the walls are built, which seems really unlikely, I mean imagine me saying, "Hey guys we can be safe behind these walls literally made of the monsters that are eating everyone." My theory is that what became the Wall Cult and the Central Government constructed the walls in retaliative secrecy, since the walls are literally just super hardened Titan Skin the walls might have very well gone up overnight. Word gets out about a safe haven from the Titans, queuing a mass exodus towards the walls. Basically, for this to make sense, people arrived in mass at the walls and no one who got in was terribly eager to question their good fortune.

Denim Avenger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 5, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So It Goes posted:

vvvvvvvvv Who cares if they experience the story beats the same way as you? Why do you care? It's a completely different medium. If you want them to mimic your experience you should get them to read, then they can follow the same story beats that you experienced.

Because it's fun watching people go ":aaaaa:" as they see the plot twists. The fact that it's a different medium doesn't mean anything, since it's the same series.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

dirty nub posted:

(can titans swim?)
The bastards are really light so they can probably float easily, capsize boats, and pick off the victims before they drown. :gonk:

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?

Soulcleaver posted:

The bastards are really light so they can probably float easily, capsize boats, and pick off the victims before they drown. :gonk:
It's slowly floating this way!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder if out in the wilds there are fewer titans. They're traveling pretty far outside the walls to rescue Eren at this point, I think the only way this isn't an utter disaster is if the quantity of titans decreases the further away from humanity they get. As it's been pointed out, Titans converge at points where there are more humans.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

Some of the rogues are probably smart enough to even stroke. But where is there a significant body of water? The canals in the city don't count.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Some of the rogues are probably smart enough to even stroke. But where is there a significant body of water? The canals in the city don't count.

There's a large lake/inland sea inside the innermost wall, but we're talking about the ocean they crossed to get to the walls.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If this is Europe, and they're Europeans, what ocean could it possibly be? Did they all come from North America?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I don't think there's any reason to assume that this takes place in the same world we live in.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder if out in the wilds there are fewer titans. They're traveling pretty far outside the walls to rescue Eren at this point, I think the only way this isn't an utter disaster is if the quantity of titans decreases the further away from humanity they get. As it's been pointed out, Titans converge at points where there are more humans.

They're just outside of Wall Rose and between Wall Rose and Wall Maria, right? I don't think they're outside of Wall Maria.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If this is Europe, and they're Europeans, what ocean could it possibly be? Did they all come from North America?

They must have come from multiple places because mikasa's mother was oriental and I guess everyone else is Anglo Saxon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ytlaya posted:

They're just outside of Wall Rose and between Wall Rose and Wall Maria, right? I don't think they're outside of Wall Maria.

Yes, they're still just in between the walls. They just crossed the Forest of Giant Trees.