Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Edit: I guess the Beta has a thinner lining over the palms? In practice you're unlikely to notice.
Like the jackets, Beta's generally lighter duty. I can tell the differences, I was kinda looking for first hand experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Climbed this today and holy hell I'm tired.

On the way back I came up behind a guy and his kid and every now and then the dude would yell "Hey oh!". Is this to scare away predators? I wasn't in an area known for predatory animals so I'm not sure what he was going for.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I am going to be graduating in Dec and will probably be without a job, so I am coming up with cheap traveling ideas. Where would you guys hike if you wanted to avoid lots of snow? I don't mind cold and some snow, but I don't want to be snowshoeing around or stomping through a ton of it since I am a southern boy. I was thinking maybe southern New Mexico, the Death Valley area since I haven't been, and maybe start in Big Bend since I live right around there. Thoughts on places to go both in the truck and on foot?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
PCT?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Will it not be snowpacked at higher elevations? I could always hike portions of it. Anyone with specific sections to hit or avoid in the winter?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Atticus_1354 posted:

Will it not be snowpacked at higher elevations? I could always hike portions of it. Anyone with specific sections to hit or avoid in the winter?

Definitely, from November to June usually it will be snowpack for much of the trail north of San Diego

You could probably hike from south of Mt Whitney a bit, down to the Mexico border and be ok for avoiding snow. But you never know.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I am going to be graduating in Dec and will probably be without a job, so I am coming up with cheap traveling ideas. Where would you guys hike if you wanted to avoid lots of snow? I don't mind cold and some snow, but I don't want to be snowshoeing around or stomping through a ton of it since I am a southern boy. I was thinking maybe southern New Mexico, the Death Valley area since I haven't been, and maybe start in Big Bend since I live right around there. Thoughts on places to go both in the truck and on foot?
That's the best time of year for Big Bend, if you ask me.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Time Cowboy posted:

Which trails are involved in this loop? I haven't been on any part of the Tuxedo-Mt. Ivy trail, or really done much of anything in the west part of Harriman. It looks like a great time for a first hike around here!

Breakneck Ridge (if you mean the one on the east side of the Hudson, with the special train station right there) was a blast last November, though I hear it gets serious crowds in summer.

Holy poo poo, sorry it took me a few pages to reply, but from the Tuxedo NJTransit station we started on the red blazed Ramapo-Dunderberg trail, took our detour at Claudius Smith Den by taking the also-red Tuxedo - Mt. Ivy to a brief turn via White Bar to the Triangle trail (we had to switchback to go the right way) lunching at Lake Sebago. The most strenuous part was hiking back to Claudius Smith Den the way we came (it was heavenly to have a change of shirt). From there go south on Blue Disc through (or past) Elbow Brush and Almost Perpendicular, turning back north on white-blazed Kakiat back to the Ramapao-Dunderberg trailhead. All told it took about seven hours. It's a little swampy so pack some bugspray. Also, I felt like a pro by packing a paper fan (kept the flies away AND kept me cool).

Unfortunately I work weekends so I have to find some other way of getting to Breakneck Ridge other than the stop there. Although I'm not opposed to stopping at a further station if it just means a longer hike! I do really want to see the Hudson valley badly, though, so I was thinking about hitting up Bear Mountain next if it works out better transit-wise.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My wife and I did a thru hike of the AT in 2011. We are both outdoorsy and I spend most days doing something outside. We just had our first kid a month ago and we are both stressed out for the usual reasons when you have a newborn tossed into your life. We are eager to incorporate the little guy into our life and I was hoping there may be some other parents on here.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on taking little ones back packing/day hiking/biking/outside etc?

We live in the mid Atlantic area if that makes any difference.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking-with-newborn-milks.html

Summary: ease into it.

(Let me know if their paywall blocks your access)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm interested in starting to dehydrate my own meals for backpacking. Are there any good resources you guys recommend, or any advice?

Usually for overnights, I just avoid fancy backpacker food and use sandwiches, couscous, and bring whole fruits and veggies, and I always make my own trail mix. But recently I used some of that fancy backpacker spacefood on a 3-day trip, and daaamn it felt nice to eat a hot curry meal.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I like this site: http://blog.trailcooking.com

I've used their pasta sauce technique - weird, but it works.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

omgmofohomolol posted:

Holy poo poo, sorry it took me a few pages to reply, but from the Tuxedo NJTransit station we started on the red blazed Ramapo-Dunderberg trail, took our detour at Claudius Smith Den by taking the also-red Tuxedo - Mt. Ivy to a brief turn via White Bar to the Triangle trail (we had to switchback to go the right way) lunching at Lake Sebago. The most strenuous part was hiking back to Claudius Smith Den the way we came (it was heavenly to have a change of shirt). From there go south on Blue Disc through (or past) Elbow Brush and Almost Perpendicular, turning back north on white-blazed Kakiat back to the Ramapao-Dunderberg trailhead. All told it took about seven hours. It's a little swampy so pack some bugspray. Also, I felt like a pro by packing a paper fan (kept the flies away AND kept me cool).

Unfortunately I work weekends so I have to find some other way of getting to Breakneck Ridge other than the stop there. Although I'm not opposed to stopping at a further station if it just means a longer hike! I do really want to see the Hudson valley badly, though, so I was thinking about hitting up Bear Mountain next if it works out better transit-wise.

Yesterday I did a nine mile loop further north, starting at the Lake Skannatati trailhead. I topped Hogencamp, Black Rock, Surebridge, Island Pond, and Pine Swamp Mountains, via Times Square and the Lemon Squeezer. All those little 100-200 foot climbs add up, lemme tell you; I felt more exhausted after that loop than I did climbing 1800 feet in one go up Slide Mountain. If only I could hike enough to actually get and stay in shape. Going out once a month isn't enough, but it's all I can afford.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and it was a great outing. I hope to put some pictures up when I have access to a computer, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Climbing Flinsch & Rising Wolf on Thursday http://books.google.com/books?id=fQKyLT-MVi8C&pg=PA321 This book is very cool, inspiring even if you don't climb in Glacier. Checked out those crampons, gonna get the Grivel G12s when the time is right.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

I like this site: http://blog.trailcooking.com

I've used their pasta sauce technique - weird, but it works.

Cool, thanks. Browsing around there, it seems like it can be as simple as "cook food, reduce food, dehydrate food." Plus some extra tips about "try to reduce fat content because it's harder to dehydrate." Does this sound accurate? Any other general tips?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

A Kpro posted:

Climbed this today and holy hell I'm tired.

On the way back I came up behind a guy and his kid and every now and then the dude would yell "Hey oh!". Is this to scare away predators? I wasn't in an area known for predatory animals so I'm not sure what he was going for.

That looks awesome. You hiked along the ridge? Where is this located?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
O yeah, I'm invited to climb the Grand Teton next summer with some friends, should be excellent. Haven't decided on the route yet but it looks like I'm gonna have some good exposure regardless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Teton

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Gambl0r posted:

That looks awesome. You hiked along the ridge? Where is this located?

Yeah, I basically went along about 10 feet from the top of it until I got near the high point and worked my way up.

It's in the middle of Idaho in the Pioneer Mountains. For some reason it doesn't have a name even though it's the 19th highest peak in the state at 11887 feet.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

That's the best time of year for Big Bend, if you ask me.

Yeah I live 2 hours from there I have been all over there in my truck and hiked a lot of the shorter trails, but nothing longer because it is to drat hot in the summer when I have the free time. I think it will be the start and then hit the Guadalupe mountains afterwards because I want to do Guadalupe peak in the snow and missed my last chance. After that my plans are up in the air and I would rather live out of my truck over moving back in with my parents.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

alnilam posted:

Cool, thanks. Browsing around there, it seems like it can be as simple as "cook food, reduce food, dehydrate food." Plus some extra tips about "try to reduce fat content because it's harder to dehydrate." Does this sound accurate? Any other general tips?

Other food dehydrating sites seem to agree. Lean meats work better. Oils can also go rancid before they dehydrate, or so I've read. Never had it happen in my limited experience.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
My hiking partner's dad was overdue four hours last night (three hours past dark). Luckily he checked in right as his family was about to call the local Sheriff. As a reminder, make sure people not only know where you're going, but a general idea of the route you're taking, and the trailhead (if there is one) where you're going to start.

They almost stayed overnight, but had headlamps and just roughed it out coming down the mountain/trail. Yikes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

My hiking partner's dad was overdue four hours last night (three hours past dark). Luckily he checked in right as his family was about to call the local Sheriff. As a reminder, make sure people not only know where you're going, but a general idea of the route you're taking, and the trailhead (if there is one) where you're going to start.

They almost stayed overnight, but had headlamps and just roughed it out coming down the mountain/trail. Yikes.

Yikes. I hate getting caught on the trail at night. Glad he made it okay.
"They almost stayed overnight" - were they just going to sleep on the ground with extra layers, or build a lean-to, or make a garbage bag bivy sack? Or did they bring a tent?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nobody thinks poo poo will happen to them, and when it does their ability to think deteriorates ridiculously in emergencies.

An emergency bivouac kit weighs loving nothing. If you're going to be out most of the day, just carry one. People spraining an ankle then having exposure add insult to injury is just preventable stupidity.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

evil_bunnY posted:

Nobody thinks poo poo will happen to them, and when it does their ability to think deteriorates ridiculously in emergencies.

An emergency bivouac kit weighs loving nothing. If you're going to be out most of the day, just carry one. People spraining an ankle then having exposure add insult to injury is just preventable stupidity.

I was just researching bivy stuff yesterday but didn't really get the gist of it, what are some good bivy basics?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Garbage bag bivies are remarkably effective, and the bags serve other purposes too. I always insist anyone I hike with has at least 2 garbage bags for this reason.

I'm not saying real emergency bivies aren't good to have - if you have one, bring it! - but you won't convince everyone to buy a thing. You can convince everyone to bring a thing they already have (and learn how to use it).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

alnilam posted:

"They almost stayed overnight" - were they just going to sleep on the ground with extra layers, or build a lean-to, or make a garbage bag bivy sack? Or did they bring a tent?

I want to know where this took place. Not everywhere is a death trap if you stay out overnight and I have done it on purpose a few times even with limited supplies. But I still always bring at least my lightweight tarp on dayhikes because it weighs a couple oz and takes up almost no space.

Smoove J posted:

I was just researching bivy stuff yesterday but didn't really get the gist of it, what are some good bivy basics?

As an emergency shelter or as a primary shelter?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Atticus_1354 posted:

As an emergency shelter or as a primary shelter?

Both I guess. I wouldn't ever want to have to use it as an emergency, but it'd be good to know how, in case. I've got a tent, but in what event would I use a bivy instead?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Smoove J posted:

For emergency, the usual holy trinity of shelter warmth and energy.

Mine's usually a very light sleeping bag (enough to make the difference between cold and comfortable at night with all your layers on, which shouldn't be much), bivouac bag (breathable if you light your cigars with benjamins, plastic bags if you're a dirty hobo), 1K kcals of food, lightweight (so LED) headlamp with a slow flash function (so you can stick it on your 120kg pal who just broke his ankle and rescue can find him). Whole thing will be the size of 2 tallboys and the weight of 1.

Smoove J posted:

I've got a tent, but in what event would I use a bivy instead?
When your tent's destroyed is the only thing I can think of. Bivouac ain't that fun.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I've reading about guys needing to set up bivies in the Himalayas, or on the side of El Cap or something, are they talking pretty much sleeping bag+shelter around the bag (tarp, garbage bag, whatever)?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you are carrying a tent in the first place, you are more than likely prepared to be staying outdoors and probably have gear that goes beyond the needs of basic survival gear.

Those emergency bivouac blankets and things are good for any hiker but I think they generally work best for day hikers who don't plan to be out longer than their initial trip and don't carry extensive gear to survive with.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Smoove J posted:

I've reading about guys needing to set up bivies in the Himalayas, or on the side of El Cap or something, are they talking pretty much sleeping bag+shelter around the bag (tarp, garbage bag, whatever)?

bivouac in yosemite is a slightly different thing. They're typically talking like porta-ledge style like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Smoove J posted:

I've got a tent, but in what event would I use a bivy instead?

Well I wouldn't carry one in this case because I would rather carry more helpful gear. I sometimes use a surplus military bivy as my primary shelter on short trips when I want to sleep under the stars or when sleeping in the bed of my truck to keep my sleeping bag from getting messed up. Then it just keeps me out of the dirt and allows me to cover up if I get a little rain. You can also get fancy ones that are basically just a really small tent, but those never really appealed to me. The emergency ones are basically glorified trash bags and I prefer a tarp for it's utility.

Here is a picture from a trip where the weather was mostly clear, but I used the sack as an extra layer of warmth and to keep moisture and frost off my sleeping bag.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

For emergency, the usual holy trinity of shelter warmth and energy.

bivouac bag (breathable if you light your cigars with benjamins, plastic bags if you're a dirty hobo)

Dirty hobo here :tipshat:

I drew "garbage bag emergency shelters: an instructional guide" because I'm bored and it's worth knowing.

It's not a fun shelter. In fact, it's miserable. But if you're going on a trip and aren't going to pony up for a real emergency shelter, it's worth being prepared for an emergency nonetheless. If you do have an emergency bivy, might as well bring it instead.
Other nice thing about these is many people already bring garbage bags anyway - they're super useful!

Also someone else mentioned a tarp - tarp plus rope is also a great emergency shelter. Some people even use them as their main tent!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why not just carry one of those emergency blankets made of foil? My dad sat out a flash flood after it washed his tent away and he made it to high ground (4 others in the campground didn't wake up in time to escape).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Smoove J posted:

Or if you're a suicidal moetherfucker like Hermann Buhl, standing upright on a ledge around 8km on nanga parbat, and Wickwire had a "normal" emergency bivouac on K2. At 8400m.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Time Cowboy posted:

Yesterday I did a nine mile loop further north, starting at the Lake Skannatati trailhead. I topped Hogencamp, Black Rock, Surebridge, Island Pond, and Pine Swamp Mountains, via Times Square and the Lemon Squeezer. All those little 100-200 foot climbs add up, lemme tell you; I felt more exhausted after that loop than I did climbing 1800 feet in one go up Slide Mountain. If only I could hike enough to actually get and stay in shape. Going out once a month isn't enough, but it's all I can afford.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and it was a great outing. I hope to put some pictures up when I have access to a computer, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Do you have a car you drove out there or perhaps take a bus that stops near the Skannatatati trailhead? I checked it out and the map has a ton of "scenic viewpoint" stars there so I'm jealous -- post some pics! I'm trying to plan a last-minute hike for tomorrow and it's half-infuriating, half-blessing to be relying on public transit. Instead of Bear Mountain I think we might take a modified summit up Sugarloaf Mountain then back down Breakneck Ridge, starting and stopping at the Cold Spring train station.

I'd love to rent a car and head off into some remote place (Catskills, Adirondacks calling!), but like you I'm at an affordability limit; I justify it by saying to myself that I'm cutting my carbon emission. I don't know if you'd be interested but if you pass through Brooklyn and you'd want to pick up two chill dudes and possibly a chiller miniature dachshund that will try to out-hike you, we'd throw in some cash money. omgmofohomolol@gmail.com

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

omgmofohomolol posted:

Do you have a car you drove out there or perhaps take a bus that stops near the Skannatatati trailhead? I checked it out and the map has a ton of "scenic viewpoint" stars there so I'm jealous -- post some pics! I'm trying to plan a last-minute hike for tomorrow and it's half-infuriating, half-blessing to be relying on public transit. Instead of Bear Mountain I think we might take a modified summit up Sugarloaf Mountain then back down Breakneck Ridge, starting and stopping at the Cold Spring train station.

I'd love to rent a car and head off into some remote place (Catskills, Adirondacks calling!), but like you I'm at an affordability limit; I justify it by saying to myself that I'm cutting my carbon emission. I don't know if you'd be interested but if you pass through Brooklyn and you'd want to pick up two chill dudes and possibly a chiller miniature dachshund that will try to out-hike you, we'd throw in some cash money. omgmofohomolol@gmail.com

I'd love to have hiking buddies (and I'd love help with the tolls and gas even more), especially on trips farther afield than Harriman. Before you consider hiking with me, though, you should know some things: I'm fat and disgustingly out of shape, easily winded on uphills and exceedingly slow and careful on rocky descents. On this hike I averaged 1.8 mph, not counting my lunch break. Plus, I'm only free on weekends, and I think you said earlier that you have to work those days. That said, if you're willing to put up with a slow hambeast who takes lots of pictures, we might be able to work something out. I'll email you later, I only have ten more minutes on this machine before the library times me out.

I better get posting pictures:

The Long Path goes up a lovely prehistoric crevice carpeted in ferns, it's one of my favorite discoveries so far in all of Harriman.

On the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail on Hogencamp Mountain.

Looking south. (Don't mind the smudge on my lens from here on out, I didn't notice it until I got home.)

Hi little guy!

The view from the Lichen Trail, which I do not recommend unless you like getting lost and bushwhacking through shoulder-high shrubbery.

In the Lemon Squeezer.

Descending Island Pond Mountain on the AT, another favorite spot.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.
Dude to be honest I'd appreciate someone slowing the pace, and for what it's worth I'm pretty much on the opposite of the YLLS spectrum being frail; my bf and I talk about filming out there but we paced ourselves so loving fast I feel like it was almost a dream taking it in (thinking about having to rely on poo poo flashlights might have something to do with it). Regardless, we had to carry a small dog down some scrambles so I think we'd be some pretty patient hiking buddies!

Edit: I can fit some Sunday's in :3:Look forward to proper introductions in email...

omgmofohomolol fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 7, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

alnilam posted:

Yikes. I hate getting caught on the trail at night. Glad he made it okay.

All of us in the group I regularly hike with carry at least mylar blankets and a windbreaker, if not an actual thermal layer. In addition we each usually carry a couple extra clif bars. Also all but one of us has had wilderness navigation courses and some other stuff. At night in the Olympics it's still probably getting down to the low to mid forties in most places, and in some places it's probably getting pretty close to freezing.

None of us want to stay out if it isn't planned, but we're always prepared to. I don't have an ultralighting obsession, so a little extra doesn't bother me. :can:

edit:

The reason they were debating staying overnight was that they were quite a ways off trail up a large pile of basalt named Mt. Worthington which normally isn't a bad scramble, but coming down it at night would not be the optimal descent. There are some nooks and crannies you could shelter in up there at night, if necessary. If you're particularly lucky you might be able to get a phone call out from the summit. The story I got last night about what led them to being out after dark was that they made "some decisions" that cost them time, but were still committed to the summit.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

The story I got last night about what led them to being out after dark was that they made "some decisions" that cost them time, but were still committed to the summit.
Haha everybody does the same thing, and nobody ever wants to be first to mention descending before the top.