Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Also oddly enough, 1.10c can be "updated" to 1.10b so it's an easy fix. Aside from that fact that TasoFro took the 1.10b update patch off their website anyways!

Duck rehosted it here if any of you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Eeepies posted:

I was hoping that for the trailer they only showed the MoF characters, while the rest are hidden till the actual game. At least up to GFW, as Star was shown.

Technically Star, as a character, is older than MoF. The three fairies of light were the main characters of a rather long-running Touhou manga, of which GFW is a spin-off. And given that the original Touhou Soccer had Rinnosuke, it's not like the designers are ignoring the non-game characters. So I wouldn't be too optimistic just from that.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

I'm pretty sure the EX Stage in 11 doesn't even give you extra lives, only pieces for getting spellcard bonuses. Then again I don't even remember any of Koishi's spellcards aside from her last one so I'm not sure I'd say she's easier or harder than Flan.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Not to mention most of those looked pretty terrible, yeah.

Meiling's head in the HRTP game is loving enormous and the way she moves is loving creepy.

I like that EOSD-in-the-style-of-old-shooters thing, though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

That's actually really cool. A couple of the backgrounds looked bad, but the actual gameplay parts looked awesome. (Ikaruga is my favorite shmup, so I may be a little biased.)

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Maximum Chenergy posted:

I'm pretty sure the EX Stage in 11 doesn't even give you extra lives, only pieces for getting spellcard bonuses. Then again I don't even remember any of Koishi's spellcards aside from her last one so I'm not sure I'd say she's easier or harder than Flan.
SA Extra has 20 life pieces total, so you have a maximum of 6 lives. You probably aren't going to get 6 lives though since you'll be losing life pieces to deaths, so if you clear the stage with no extra lives, you'll have gotten 3 extra lives for a total of 5. One more than EoSD Extra.

The number of extra lives says nothing about how difficult an extra stage is though. Hell SA and UFO give you like 12 lives, but they're still drat hard. Like most other people, I think MoF Extra is probably the easiest just because of how trivial most of the stuff in that stage is. More than half of Suwako's attacks barely require any dodging, and the ones that you actually need to do stuff in can either be bombed through or is trivial enough that your chances of failure are rather slim.

Still though, EoSD Extra is reasonably difficult, mostly due to what a pain most of Flandre's attacks are. Probably only Mokou, Marisa, and Mamizou are on par/harder than her, so that puts Flan around the middle of the pack in terms of difficulty in my opinion.

Clarste posted:

The impression I get from his interviews is that he kind of makes stuff up as he goes along. Like, he writes the stage music for stage 1, programs a level for stage one, and then comes up with the boss after he's already got the stage done, rinse and repeat 7 times (including Extra). I mean, hopefully he has some vague idea of where he's going, but the precise details like whether or not Byakuren is an old man or a space invader aren't settled until he actually gets there.

So I doubt there's concept art of Old Man Myouren or anything like that. It was just an idea bubbling in the back of his mind before he got around to the part where he would use it.
With the more recent games, I think ZUN did have a pretty solid plan going into designing everything, although yeah a lot of it is definitely made up on the go as opposed to traditional game studios which concept out everything before production.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wait, is Flandre really considered in the middle in terms of difficulty? I mean, I guess ultimately there's a subjective element to difficulty, like, Mokou is one of my favorite extra bosses, so I play IN Extra a lot and can do it with relative ease nowadays whereas I just don't like EoSD Extra so I play it less and have less experience with it. It's pretty hard for me to relate to the idea that Mokou could even be considered harder than Flandre for that reason.

Anyway, while extra lives don't really say how objectively difficult extra stage bullet patterns are, they do have a bearing on how easy or hard it is to get through Extra. For example PCB Extra/Phantasm gives you roughly a million extra lives, bombs and cherry borders, rounded down, so that alone gives you a much larger margin of error when playing for pure survival. I usually barely scrape by on my successful runs of EoSD and SA Extra, so it stands to reason I would have an easier time if I had PCB Extra's resources, no?

On a completely different note, I found Reimu's and Marisa's ~totally canon voices~. It's a completely official game made by Namco Bandai and everything, too. I mean it also looks like an extremely low budget game made only to advertise weird dolls to nerds, but who's counting?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Onean posted:

That's actually really cool. A couple of the backgrounds looked bad, but the actual gameplay parts looked awesome. (Ikaruga is my favorite shmup, so I may be a little biased.)

You may be interested in eXceed 2 as part of the eXceed Collection on Steam.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Stepping away from extra stages for the moment, I finally managed to 1cc a Touhou game!

(It was Imperishable Night. On Easy. Using Border Team. And I still have to go back and finish it again to unlock Extra Mode...:sweatdrop:)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

On a completely different note, I found Reimu's and Marisa's ~totally canon voices~. It's a completely official game made by Namco Bandai and everything, too. I mean it also looks like an extremely low budget game made only to advertise weird dolls to nerds, but who's counting?

gently caress the voices, Master Spark-charged Yin Yang orbs just makes me wish Reimu and Marisa would actually team up more often.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You'd like FMW2 then.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

gently caress the voices, Master Spark-charged Yin Yang orbs just makes me wish Reimu and Marisa would actually team up more often.

Another game like IN that lets you make your own teams would be nice, then Master Spark Yin Yang orbs could be a thing all day, every day. A game like that could probably work.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
FMW3 has a two-unit squad system. Can't wait for the full release.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fighting Falken posted:

Another game like IN that lets you make your own teams would be nice, then Master Spark Yin Yang orbs could be a thing all day, every day. A game like that could probably work.

It would likely be impossible to balance, but the sheer amount of banter would make it worth it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

SirPhoebos posted:

It would likely be impossible to balance, but the sheer amount of banter would make it worth it.

Why do more work when there's plenty more beer to drink?

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Wait, is Flandre really considered in the middle in terms of difficulty? I mean, I guess ultimately there's a subjective element to difficulty, like, Mokou is one of my favorite extra bosses, so I play IN Extra a lot and can do it with relative ease nowadays whereas I just don't like EoSD Extra so I play it less and have less experience with it. It's pretty hard for me to relate to the idea that Mokou could even be considered harder than Flandre for that reason.

Anyway, while extra lives don't really say how objectively difficult extra stage bullet patterns are, they do have a bearing on how easy or hard it is to get through Extra. For example PCB Extra/Phantasm gives you roughly a million extra lives, bombs and cherry borders, rounded down, so that alone gives you a much larger margin of error when playing for pure survival. I usually barely scrape by on my successful runs of EoSD and SA Extra, so it stands to reason I would have an easier time if I had PCB Extra's resources, no?
Eh difficulty is most definitely subjective, though my standard of difficulty for Extra bosses is how many patterns I'm going to die on in any run through. For me at least, Mokou has a ton including Iwakasa, Fujiyama Volcano, Hourai Doll, Imperishable Shooting, Rings of Death and many of her other non-spells. With Flan the only patterns that I can think of that screws me over are Starbow Break, Catadioptric, ATTWBN, and QED. If you want to add in medium difficulty patterns, then it'd just be Woo + Phoenix Tail for Mokou, and for Flan I can see myself screwing up on one of Four of a Kind, Kagome, Kagome, and Maze of Love. In terms of difficulty curves though, Flan is probably harder to learn if only because of Maze of Love.

I think that putting aside PCB Extra (which does give you a ridiculous amount of resources when you add in cherry borders), extra resources don't have much bearing on how easy or difficult it is to get through a given extra stage. Since Extra bosses have bomb immunity for spell cards, you're going to have to learn how to do them either way, and extra lives don't really matter too much when you're going for the clear. You end up having to be proficient enough at roughly the same number of patterns in each extra stage in order to get the clear.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So I'm making a medley of all of Marisa's themes because Touhou music's pretty great and I've been putting off making a Touhou music project for a while. I'm just wondering if I'm forgetting any Marisa songs.

I got Love Colored Magic, Love Colored Master Spark, Dim.Dream, Casket of Star, Witches' Ball, Magus Night, Oriental Dark Flight, and Magician's Melancholy. Am I forgetting any?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kind of. Some people consider Selene's Light one of Marisa's themes since it only plays if she was chosen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aww gee, just look at who went and usurped the Iron Throne when we weren't looking!

"Well! Who's the strongest NOW?! :smug:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
fanart-cirno seems to have a thing for thrones

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

WoW had a lot to do with that, I believe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bah, frozen thrones and games of such are weaksauce. You know what isn't weaksauce? JAEGERS:

I can't believe it took until my fourth time watching Pacific Rim to search for Pacific Rim + Touhous fanart.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There seriously wasn't more than a dozen fanarts tops(total, not just Touhou) until like two weeks ago on Pixiv. They were really slow to pick up on Pacific Rim, but I suspect now that it's actually out there'll be a bunch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

The King in the North! :black101:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I know you guys are secretly all fighting games nerds but just refuse to talk about them because of some Fight Club rules or whatever, so I'm sure you're all excited to hear that TasoFro actually managed to patch in Hata No Kokoro into Hopeless Masquerade. You can get the patch on their site.

http://www.tasofro.net/touhou135/

After playing around in practice mode a bit it turns out her gimmick is being able to change her religious alignment on the fly by using skills corresponding to them, to the surprise of absolutely no one. In other words, if your overall alignment is Shinto, but you have Tao and Bhuddist skills in your deck, by using them you can shift your alignment to Tao or Bhuddism and your shot attacks change accordingly. She also an additional skill and an additional spellcard over other characters to go with the gimmick. Her additional skill card has no religious alignment for the purpose of deck-building, but changes you to a random religion when used during a match, and the additional spellcard basically discharges your religious affiliation in a colour-coded aura, doing damage to your enemy and setting you to neutral.

I've yet to try and use her in an actual match against an actual person, so hell if I know how she plays in an actual match. I also suck at fighting games and wouldn't know anyway. Also, I didn't have the opportunity to check if Netplay was fixed for this patch either.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They changed her Y bullets to not be a worthless blue fart cloud and if you do 6Y with a mask set you shoot it as a low range projectile that gives your opponent some sort of status effect even if they block it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Welp, netplay is still poo poo. Now to futilely hope they fix that again without messing something else up. Or maybe they don't care about netplay for longer distances than two people in Japan and 1.10b was just a fluke, who even knows at this point.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Devour or Fire posted:

They changed her Y bullets to not be a worthless blue fart cloud and if you do 6Y with a mask set you shoot it as a low range projectile that gives your opponent some sort of status effect even if they block it.

I was about to comment that status effect on block seems really powerful, but then I remembered that this was a Touhou fighting game and you should always graze that poo poo or eat it in the face trying!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Other HM 1.2 notes:

- Practice mode has been overhauled. The config section is much easier to navigate, the character-specific gimmicks can be adjusted (ex: switch what mask Kokoro is on), and presumably the character position bug got fixed.
- There are lot more flashy effects in the character select screen. Also character select music.
- The popularity boom music mentioned a while ago was implemented. They're all very short arranges of the character's stage theme, kind of like the Trance tracks in TD. Some of them are good, others are... not. (Oh god Nitori)
- There's a Last Word song now. I assume it's an arrange of Eastern Youkai Beauty? It's okay, but you are not hearing more than ten or so seconds of it if you're playing someone besides Ichirin.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
New picture of DDC from some interview scan:

Seems like the stage 4 midboss, and the return of musical note bullets.
Totally Mima guys.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm guessing a siren.

Or ZUN is recycling the Prismrivers. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna bank on "Touhou 14 will be full of Western monsters" and say it's a siren, too.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Musical note bullets :allears:

I have high hopes for this game.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Mima took up a hobby while waiting to re-enter the spotlight. With her, the Prismriver ensemble has expanded into a quartet. I'm calling it right here.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Prismrivers + Mystia/Kyouka

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I miss the Prismriver sisters it's a shame they'll never be in any official media ever again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

leather fedora posted:

Prismrivers + Mystia + Kyouka

I have improved your mathematics.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

I miss the Prismriver sisters it's a shame they'll never be in any official media ever again.

They were just in HM.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I miss Meiling it's a shame she wasn't even in Hopeless Masquerade.-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The countdown for the new release is back again.

Ive never tried the actual patcher to see if its any good though.