Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Haikai No Ku have just released their amazing album http://burningworldrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sick-on-my-journey

If there are any Bong fans here (and if not why the gently caress not?) then this is their guitarists side-project. drone metal meets psych and blues. The noisiest thing ive heard so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I love Bong and could do with more of anything like it, so good find!

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Melvins were loving awesome. Last time I saw them they all seemed to be in a pissy mood and even threatened to leave once, Jared even tried to snatch someone's phone out of their hands that was taking some pics. Last night though they were in a great mood. Part of it was that Honky is an awesome opener, and the Melvins setlist was top notch.

The crowd really got into compared to the last time I saw them too, the mosh started pretty early and was going almost constantly to varying degrees. It got pretty intense at times, but it was still a pretty good vibe. All in all a great loving show. I tried to take some pics but I only had my cell phone and was pretty buzzed so none of them turned out.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I've lost count of how many times I've seen the Melvins. Hilariously I saw them in 1998 before I got into them and thought they were 'just so-so.' I'm excited to catch Honky, too.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I saw Old Man Gloom/Big Business/The Melvins last year. Amazing show. :smug:

I fanboyed the gently caress out when I met Aaron Turner.

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
Just got back from seeing the grandfathers of all our music, Black Sabbath. Was awesome, glad I went.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I've only seen the Melvins once and now I'm desperate to see them again ... it's one of those situations where you've heard a few of their tracks before seeing them then got massively into them since and want to see them again.

It was pretty crazy, I saw them at an ATP festival and it culminated in a curtain being raised and two more drummers being rolled onto the stage for a grand total of four drum kits, utterly ludicrous.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

ethan posted:

I was stoked on the idea of a Big Biz intro set segue to a Melvins set again, but Jared is out this tour on paternity leave. Still 2 drummers though.

Yeah, they've got Jeff Pinkus from the Butthole Surfers filling in on bass for this tour.

They played here in Minneapolis last weekend for the Amphetamine Reptile festival. Seeing the Melvins and Mudhoney on the same stage was outstanding.

lexan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 29, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gilead Media just posted on Facebook:

Gilead Media posted:

Received mixes for more Heathen tracks today. Just a 12 track, 77+ minute Thou album. No big deal...

Get hyped.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I will never miss a Melvins show again. loving incredible.

More bands need two drummers.

I didn't know buzzo traded in the moo-moo for a snuggie

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Morbid Florist posted:

I will never miss a Melvins show again. loving incredible.

More bands need two drummers.

I didn't know buzzo traded in the moo-moo for a snuggie

I'm seeing them here in DC on Saturday at the 930 Club. I've never seen them before, and I'm really looking forward to this.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Make sure you stand somewhere you can see the drums all the way. Those two could be an act on their own.

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

I completely missed that Toner Low released a new album quite recently and it does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaG5jmauRk

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

A co-worker of mine caught the Melvins doing a set on the street in front of an ice cream truck while they were in Chicago. I can only imagine that to be an extremely surreal experience.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Psychedelius posted:

I completely missed that Toner Low released a new album quite recently and it does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaG5jmauRk

Holy poo poo I had no idea. Thanks!

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Morbid Florist posted:

Make sure you stand somewhere you can see the drums all the way. Those two could be an act on their own.
When I saw them, I caught myself just staring at the drummers more than once. Their symmetry was hypnotic. And loud.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
God drat it Rosetta, I trusted you with making great cover art. Now this... uh... I don't know what to say :negative:

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just heard Barcelonian by Vista Chino and I really like it. The production sucks but, well, whatever I guess. I get a really strong Orquesta Del Desertio vibe from that song, just a bit heavier and more focused.

I really can't wait for the album, I've booked two tickets to see them at the O2 in Bristol on the 1st of November. Same place I saw them as Kyuss Lives and they were awesome then.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

God drat it Rosetta, I trusted you with making great cover art. Now this... uh... I don't know what to say :negative:

loving hell that is horrendous. Holding onto an outside hope that this is a poo poo metalcore band and not the Rosetta we like! Definitely don't want that on a 12" vinyl jacket!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Gamma Nerd posted:

This is real? gently caress.

fake edit: people hate it on Facebook.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gamma Nerd posted:

loving hell, Rosetta. It blows my mind that they approved that cover.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Well, now I'm kind of sad. This is what it's going to be? It looks like something from an Evanescence album. :smith:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Roark posted:

Well, now I'm kind of sad. This is what it's going to be? It looks like something from an Evanescence album. :smith:

Even worse than that, it reminds me of the (back) cover for the soundtrack album of a Brazilian soap opera.

Yikes.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Generation of Vipers released a little two track cover album of Milk It by Nirvana and Gates of Steel by DEVO. Prreeeety goooood. Especially Milk It. Also, Generation of Vipers in general is good if you've never listened to them. Dead Circle is a great album.

http://generationofvipers.bandcamp.com/album/devana

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Minto Took posted:

A co-worker of mine caught the Melvins doing a set on the street in front of an ice cream truck while they were in Chicago. I can only imagine that to be an extremely surreal experience.

That was for the AV Club's summer cover series, but they haven't posted the video yet.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Gamma Nerd posted:

Maybe they're copying the theme of the new A Storm Of Light album.

Hopefully Rosetta doesn't copy ASOL's blandness too

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

hihifellow posted:

Maybe they're copying the theme of the new A Storm Of Light album.

Hopefully Rosetta doesn't copy ASOL's blandness too

Holy poo poo, this post just made me realize Rosetta and A Storm of Light aren't the same band.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

skasion posted:

Holy poo poo, this post just made me realize Rosetta and A Storm of Light aren't the same band.

Rosetta are very good. Check out The Galilean Satellites, it's a great album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Hoping that the artwork is a joke, like the "National Riffographic EP" announcement that they did. Guess we'll know for sure on the 8th.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Generation of Vipers released a little two track cover album of Milk It by Nirvana and Gates of Steel by DEVO. Prreeeety goooood. Especially Milk It. Also, Generation of Vipers in general is good if you've never listened to them. Dead Circle is a great album.

I think those covers are just OK but I really liked their other albums, thanks for the link.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I AM CARVALLO posted:

A similar good but obscure sludge band is Dirge.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Was there a significant amount of hype for Grime's debut, Deteriorate, or am I misremembering based on Forcefield Records throwing up a bunch of favorable reviews? Kind of underwhelmed by it. Musically, it's not too bad, but the album felt like it never really hit its stride, and they were killing time to get to the end of it. Plus the bass seemed kind of muffled. Neat to see that cover artist get another cover to his credits, though.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Weedeater in Nashville (second time in less a year I think) tonight. Majorly stoked

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WIZARD FIGHT

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I posted this over in the black metal thread already, but are any goons planning on going to these Thou tour dates in september?
with FALSE and CLOUD RAT:
09.15.13 - St. Louis with Fister // Ben Salyers
09.16.13 - Minneapolis at The House of Lard at six pm // Adam
09.17.13 - Milwaukee at Borg Ward (823 W. National Avenue) at seven pm with Northless // Cory
09.18.13 - Chicago at Albion House (1719 W. Albion Street) at six pm with Hate // Chris
09.19.13 - Grand Rapids // Rorick
09.20.13 - Detroit // Rorick

I missed them when they swung around michigan last time, so I might try to do both the Grand Rapids and Detroit dates. I've heard excellent things about False, especially from here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/08/05/138984034/false-take-a-breath-then-scream
I know very little about Cloud Rat, aside from the fact that Halo Of Flies Records seems to really enjoy them. What little I've heard, I enjoyed as well.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
KILL THAT CAT finally posted their video archive on Youtube. There is some excellent, excellent stuff in there- tons of Sleep, High on Fire, Mastodon, Brainoil and many more. If a heavy underground band toured the Bay Area in the last decade, there's probably a video of them somewhere on this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KILLTHATCATofficial

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
New Jucifer is a crazy heavy, fuzzy and distorted mess. Just how I like it.

Give it a listen on their band camp.
http://jucifer-official.bandcamp.com/

It is also Russian. Very Russian.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Anyone listen to Beast in the Field's new album The Sacred Above the Sacred Below?

Really, REALLY loving this album. Haven't really felt this obsessed with a record since Satan Worshiping Doom I think.

Here's a music video they released for the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW0gpC16DE

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
EyeHateGod have announced some shows for their 25th anniversary, only four US shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

That's like the AC shirt for one of their world tours that had 3 shows listed on the back, two in NY and Boston, the rest was just empty space.