Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Drone posted:

This rules, thank you. So what are the differences between your normal path signal and the one with the little white and red bar underneath it? I took that to mean it was analogous to a pre-signal entry but I guess I'm way wrong on that.

The normal one only stops trains in one direction, but trains can reserve paths "through" it the other way as if it wasn't there. The other one is one-way only - read the little bar as a "no entry" sign pointing in the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drone posted:

This rules, thank you. So what are the differences between your normal path signal and the one with the little white and red bar underneath it? I took that to mean it was analogous to a pre-signal entry but I guess I'm way wrong on that.
The path signal with the white horizontal bar is one way only, as in it will not let a train go the other way through it at all. Normal path signals without the bar let trains go through it the wrong way but heavily penalizes it in the path finder so it generally only happens when the train absolutely needs to or you've hit a small quirk in the path finder that you didn't expect, like a train going into a depot at the entrance of your terminus station but forever being stuck because it can never reserve the path out -- which it decided should be through a whole number of wrong way path signals that have trains on them, because it didn't consider the path of going to the station and turning around to go down the right way, stuff like that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Beamed posted:

His signals are silly. He has the entry presignal setup right, but he doesn't actually have both silver ones set up at the station entrance. So it's just kinda useless.

(I think. :shobon:)
Yeah, they were messed up. I fixed them later.

Also, I just left the server very satisfied because I had brought Beadingstone from this:

to this:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I've never seen road income that high. :stare: Is that with NewGRF help or is it basically using vanilla?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

NewGRFs, I think, unless the Dolphin bus is vanilla. I also had a Cincinnati bus network going on and one in Aberdean.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My bus networks in Cincinnati and Chicago give me like 3 million in profits per year or something ridiculous like that. I think it's related to cargodist bumping up the value of my passengers since they're coming from so far away.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
I thought it would be cool to build a public-use interstate highway system; so far I'm linking up all the cities in the Southeastern united states. So if someone wants to give bus/trucking transportation a try, use the highway! Before the map resets and I have to build it all over again.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I thought it would be cool to build a public-use interstate highway system; so far I'm linking up all the cities in the Southeastern united states. So if someone wants to give bus/trucking transportation a try, use the highway! Before the map resets and I have to build it all over again.

Looks like you liked my autobahn so much you decided to bring it over to the states!

I'm not gonna partake in the US map, for some reason this heightmap seems to rub me the wrong way. But it's fun to pop in and take a look from time to time!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

ChubbyPitbull posted:

The one suggestion I have for you is, I know the bridges look cool, but you can't make the bridges one-way, so there's no passing on the bridges, where as the normal one-way roads allow faster buses to pass.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
After my first day playing, I could manage to make a profitable company and even could buy some airplanes, and helped the northeast grow.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

benzine posted:

After my first day playing, I could manage to make a profitable company and even could buy some airplanes, and helped the northeast grow.

Your annual profits are diving, you're sitting at -6mil a year right now. I can't switch over your company to see why since it's password protected.

Edit: nevermind, it's because you did a ton of construction last year and you were the last person to play on the server before I logged in. All is well.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 4, 2013

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

Neurion posted:

Looks like you liked my autobahn so much you decided to bring it over to the states!

No joke, I loved your two-lane road designs you built around where my rail stations were last map, and they are what made me want to try to do the highway this map!

sincx posted:

The one suggestion I have for you is, I know the bridges look cool, but you can't make the bridges one-way, so there's no passing on the bridges, where as the normal one-way roads allow faster buses to pass.

Ah, roger that :(. I really did like how the bridges look, but aesthetics isn't enough to make up for losing the use of both lanes. Plus, not having to constantly find spots for brdiges and keeping one height above terrain will make construction faster!

ChubbyPitbull fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 4, 2013

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
How do you get cities to grow really big? I've been trying to grow Bawlmer, and it says the city will grow every 1 day. Every day, the population goes up a little, then goes back down immediately. I've got passenger and mail service (including intracity buses), food, and goods coming in. Funding new buildings doesn't make any difference.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

sincx posted:

I went through and redid all the bridges to be one-way normal roads. I noticed someone built a second highway adjacent to mine, and other than an exit/entrance most of the road is normal two way or one way. Does the entrance/exit one ways automatically set all following road to be one way? Cause they're passing on that road.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Welp, I think I won't be able to get on the server anymore until the map resets because I keep being booted off for my computer being too slow. I did get a maglev line running along the shore to Miami, though, which is cool.

And Beadingstone is now gigantic:

Also, is there any way to stop the game from telling me I need a development snapshot of the graphics every time I start it up?

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried to upgrade my trucks from Volvo to whatever the futuristic looking one is called. For some reason almost half of the trucks refused to upgrade no matter what I did so I decided to do it manually. That's when I discovered that the two top trucks of that line can't refit to some cargo types. I went back to Volvos. :sigh:

edit

The server just went offline, is it restarting? :ohdear:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 4, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Poil posted:

I tried to upgrade my trucks from Volvo to whatever the futuristic looking one is called. For some reason almost half of the trucks refused to upgrade no matter what I did so I decided to do it manually. That's when I discovered that the two top trucks of that line can't refit to some cargo types. I went back to Volvos. :sigh:

edit

The server just went offline, is it restarting? :ohdear:

The server is up? But we'll be doing a reset shortly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

less than three posted:

The server is up? But we'll be doing a reset shortly.

Maybe I just randomly had some connection issues to it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I saved the map for the multiplayer server offline, but it only lets me into one company (Fuckups United) and not my own company, is there any way to fix this?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Zeether posted:

I saved the map for the multiplayer server offline, but it only lets me into one company (Fuckups United) and not my own company, is there any way to fix this?

Bring up the cheat menu (on my mac it's ctrl+alt+c or something, figure it out) and use the cheat there to play as a different company.

Or if you wanna get weird you can start a local multiplayer server and just play the map on that while the other companies keep running in tandem on their own.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

What is this heightmap? Companion Cube?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

sincx posted:

What is this heightmap? Companion Cube?
Yup.

Also, most unfortunately named city ever:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zeether posted:

Also, most unfortunately named city ever:

Salo? I don't get it..

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Neurion posted:

Salo? I don't get it..

I need some Zeether drugs please. I don't get it either.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Neurion posted:

Salo? I don't get it..

Salo is an old Italian movie that has poo poo eating in it. It has a lot of other sexual stuff in there as well, and it's been banned in a bunch of places.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I'm getting 'versioan Mismatch' on the LLJK server, despite having the same version in the OP.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 6, 2013

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SkySteak posted:

I'm getting 'versioan Mismatch' on the LLJK server, despite having the same version in the OP.
Don't trust the OP, it was only last updated in January. :v: We're using r25613

Edit: And these GRFs + this one (put them in a "newgrf" folder)

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 6, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I should really update the OP. :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Whoever said sitting on a pile of riches in this game is boring is totally right, my company has 3 billion dollars and I don't feel like doing anything outside of maybe laying down a mapwide vacuum train system which would take forever.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Zeether posted:

Whoever said sitting on a pile of riches in this game is boring is totally right, my company has 3 billion dollars and I don't feel like doing anything outside of maybe laying down a mapwide vacuum train system which would take forever.

There's always the town growth challenge, or the "how many trains can I cram onto this network"/"how do I fix this jam without breaking everything" combo.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Reset por favor?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sincx posted:

Reset por favor?

Okay I'll do it tomorrow. (Technically today but whatever I have to sleep.)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Oh man, got it all working. The server is cool but I've never had this game jutter so horribly. I guess it's natural given how much is going on and the city sizes. Will you guys be doing a new map soon? I'd like to get in on the ground floor.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SkySteak posted:

Oh man, got it all working. The server is cool but I've never had this game jutter so horribly. I guess it's natural given how much is going on and the city sizes. Will you guys be doing a new map soon? I'd like to get in on the ground floor.

Yeah, this map has become unplayable for me as well. It usually happens when the game hits about 2060 or 2070.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Map has been reset.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zeether posted:

Yeah, that's the big problem. The bookkeeping and the challenges don't really scale with the interface (and this is a fair problem with a lot of other games) where the fun you have in bringing a struggling young company to the big time just doesn't have anywhere to go once you make said big time. You could always try competing with the other players, but the interface just makes this a chore rather than an interesting dynamic.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The game is actually not badly balanced and long-term entertaining when you turn on infrastructure maintenance costs and maybe get the BaseCosts newgrf and increase things by 2x or 4x.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

piratepilates posted:

The game is actually not badly balanced and long-term entertaining when you turn on infrastructure maintenance costs and maybe get the BaseCosts newgrf and increase things by 2x or 4x.

Right, but the problem is that you generally have industries that just kind of run themselves, or industries that just kind of poop out without any sort of real notification or chance at remediation, and the sheer size of your transport empire means that you can't easily watch all of your supply chains at all times. Turning on maintenance costs just slows down the rate of money flow, it does nothing to address the endgame.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Right, but the problem is that you generally have industries that just kind of run themselves, or industries that just kind of poop out without any sort of real notification or chance at remediation, and the sheer size of your transport empire means that you can't easily watch all of your supply chains at all times. Turning on maintenance costs just slows down the rate of money flow, it does nothing to address the endgame.

It makes it so that sitting on fat stacks of cash takes a lot more effort and you can't just build long lines for a few trains because the costs of the signals will be so large, combine that with higher costs of building things and train maintenance and maybe something like NuTracks where the faster rails are much more expensive than the slower ones will mean that it's still a concern later in the game.

But the game is just kinda "build a train network, have fun" so if you can't find things in that at the end fun then there won't be a fun endgame I guess, I have fun at the end by having big complex networks and having to deal with things like having too many trains on one stretch of it and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

piratepilates posted:

I think one of the bigger problems is being able to fund raw material industries. If I can't build 20 coal mines for $200k apiece, I think I'll be forced to do a lot more.

Also, I think we should go back to interesting heightmaps with expensive terraforming for a challenge.

• Locked thread