Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

I respect your opinion

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:toot:

Hooray! We're definitely going to get a sequel now, thanks China!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Looking through the more prominent chinese message boards (especially sites like baidu), I get the following impression:

Some are saying how the movie is a slight towards China because Crimson Typhoon is the first to go, others going that an American director will of course have chinese and russian jaegars fall, and finally more pointing out GDT is actually not american - if the movie slighted China, then all those nations without their jaegars being shown must be enraged.

Oh, and complains that words 'Crimson Typhoon' stenciled on it is written in traditional chinese characters(used in Hong Kong and Taiwan) rather than simplied chinese (used in China, Singapore and Malaysia). This point is a little more valid, I guess, but the jaegar was stationed in the HK shatterdome all along.

However, the general consensus seems to still be:

1. The main theme is generally agreed upon to be great and memorable.
2. Most thought the movie was great.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

How are u posted:

:toot:

Hooray! We're definitely going to get a sequel now, thanks China!
Do you think the total box office will eventually cross the $400m mark?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bet it'll hit minimum 400 million, possibly half a billion by the end of it's theater life. It's still got Brazil and Japan to go, after all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Devour posted:

Do you think the total box office will eventually cross the $400m mark?
Once we start including post-theatrical revenue (video on demand, Pay Per View, movie rentals, DVD sales), I'd say it's a pretty sure bet.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Looking through the more prominent chinese message boards (especially sites like baidu), I get the following impression:

Some are saying how the movie is a slight towards China because Crimson Typhoon is the first to go, others going that an American director will of course have chinese and russian jaegars fall, and finally more pointing out GDT is actually not american - if the movie slighted China, then all those nations without their jaegars being shown must be enraged.

Oh, and complains that words 'Crimson Typhoon' stenciled on it is written in traditional chinese characters(used in Hong Kong and Taiwan) rather than simplied chinese (used in China, Singapore and Malaysia). This point is a little more valid, I guess, but the jaegar was stationed in the HK shatterdome all along.

However, the general consensus seems to still be:

1. The main theme is generally agreed upon to be great and memorable.
2. Most thought the movie was great.

I'm canadian and I also wanted to see the russian and chinese jaegers kick more rear end :shrug:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halman posted:

I admit, I'm partial to Stanley Payne and his typological description of Fascism, but I didn't really see any of the fascist negations, 3 of the 4 items on his ideology and goals list, or an emphasis on masculinity or youth/ the necessity of generational conflict.

I think the word you mean is Authoritarian. Or maybe corpratist.

The film is totally antiliberal (the precursor aliens are unambiguously liberal mole-men) and also anticommunist (we've already outlined what a communist version of the film would entail - this is not it). So, the question is how anti-conservative it is and, well, I already identified Stacker as a (superfically) anticapitalist third-positionist.

The masculinity/youth thing is the phallic/gynophobic imagery outlined earlier - not to mention the basic design of the jaegers (as football players, brawlers) and their pilots (youthful 'rockstars').

Stacker admittedly doesn't seem imperialistic, but I'm not sure which of the other ideological points you're referring to on Payne's list.

Also, it should be noted that I deliberately reversed the meaning of that Orwell quote. Orwell lamented the trampling of humanity by the 'inhuman' boot, while I'm talking about the punching of the inhuman abject by 'humanity'.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Weissritter posted:

Some are saying how the movie is a slight towards China because Crimson Typhoon is the first to go,

I think they built-up Crimson Typhoon to be a particularly efficient Kaiju killer - the fact that it gets taken out first is more of a "Holy gently caress" moment than a "Crimson Typhoon is a red-shirt" moment.

I still think the movie could have done better to show more Crimson Typhoon and Cherno as better set up leading up to the Hong Kong battle.

And anyway there is basically no Japanese jaeger in this.. how will they take that!?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
There was a Guillermo del Toro interview in a Finnish newspaper called Metro and they asked what is his favorite jaeger:

"It's Cherno Alpha. I think it's adorable, heavy, a bit clumsy and very old old school battle machine that looks like an old pressure pot."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wank posted:

And anyway there is basically no Japanese jaeger in this.. how will they take that!?

There was a Japanese-tagged Jaeger in the advertising, in the batch with the stat cards. I don't specifically remember it (it's named Coyote Tango), but it might possibly be Idris Elba's Jaeger from the flashback.

I was disappointed to see that Australia didn't much care about this movie. The biggest complaint form an Australian perspective is pretty much 'the Australian accents are absolutely terrible', and that's not a fact that would spread before people see the movie. We're pretty much the star of the film, and we didn't even watch it!

Actually, the one thing that bothered me about the movie is that we didn't get to see Crimson Typhoon or Cherno Alpha do anything other than get completely hosed up by kaijus. Crimson Typhoon's got a great design that just doesn't get any action, and while we hear nice things about Cherno Alpha, we don't see anything that would've possibly explained why that hunk of outdated junk survived this long.

EDIT: Coyote Tango, the alleged Japanbot. Maybe someone else can ID it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I thought the Australian accents were amazing. Like, as an Australian I know they're not accurate but they were close enough and fit into the over the top world of Pacific Rim. They were like a fun caricature.

I think it's a case of people thinking it's a movie like Transformers that is hurting it down here in Aus, at least based on what I've heard. Everyone I know who has seen it has loved it, however.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

There was a Japanese-tagged Jaeger in the advertising, in the batch with the stat cards. I don't specifically remember it (it's named Coyote Tango), but it might possibly be Idris Elba's Jaeger from the flashback.

I was disappointed to see that Australia didn't much care about this movie. The biggest complaint form an Australian perspective is pretty much 'the Australian accents are absolutely terrible', and that's not a fact that would spread before people see the movie. We're pretty much the star of the film, and we didn't even watch it!

Actually, the one thing that bothered me about the movie is that we didn't get to see Crimson Typhoon or Cherno Alpha do anything other than get completely hosed up by kaijus. Crimson Typhoon's got a great design that just doesn't get any action, and while we hear nice things about Cherno Alpha, we don't see anything that would've possibly explained why that hunk of outdated junk survived this long.

EDIT: Coyote Tango, the alleged Japanbot. Maybe someone else can ID it.

Well, I know Pentacost's jaeger was the Japanese one but it is "basically" not in it or labelled as such at all. (Only two kaijus? ouch).

Every Australian I have spoken to about film hated the accents and didn't care for the film due to that.

I kind of liked that nearly everyone in this movie has wonky accents... like that the "fascisim" that has taken over and made the countries all kind of one has meant their accents have got mangled (complete rubbish I know).

If these figures are accurate though:

UK - $10 million
France/Australia - $6 million each.

Then Australia punched above it's weight considering it has, what, 1/5th of the population of those countries and it only screened for 1 week in peak viewing times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Charlie Hunnam sounds like Stephen Jay Blum most of the time, and that guy always sounds like he's putting on a voice (because as a voice actor, he usually is), so I just assumed every pilot's accent in the movie was "pinched" a little so it sounded like it was coming from a cartoon character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Simple politeness. although it's made more difficult when i get responses like this:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If the movie were truly successful, shouldn't you be giddily oblivious of my concerns, instead of whiny?

Like, folks are putting a lot wordy seriousness behind their celebration of what's ostensibly lowthought stupidtime. You shouldn't be trying so hard to be happy, like I am.

Pacific Rim's fascism is its most amusing quality - way funnier than any mere fist movement. Enjoy it!

Instead of complaining about Orwell references, you should just love stomping faces - unabashedly.

Thanks for calling me a fascist, SMG! Tell me, is there any way I'm allowed to unironically like this movie that won't see you call me a shallow idiot or a closeted fascist?

It's not like I was pointing out that acting like a smug rear end isn't likely to endear people to your arguments...to which you responded by acting like a smug rear end. I pretty much don't care about your whole 'fascism' argument, I frankly don't see it and now I don't think you're serious (because really nobody uses the phrase 'liberal molemen' remotely seriously). So I guess I'll just follow your advice and completely ignore anything you have to say from now on.

Which is a shame, since you made some pretty legitimate points in the Transformers thread, but hey, you don't want me to listen to you, fine with me.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 5, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Yvonmukluk posted:

Simple politeness. although it's made more difficult when i get responses like this:

Thanks for calling me a fascist, SMG! Tell me, is there any way I'm allowed to unironically like this movie that won't see you call me a shallow idiot or a closeted fascist?

It's not like I was pointing out that acting like a smug rear end isn't likely to endear people to your arguments...to which you responded by acting like a smug rear end. I pretty much don't care about your whole 'fascism' argument, I frankly don't see it and now I don't think you're serious (because really nobody uses the phrase 'liberal molemen' remotely seriously). So I guess I'll just follow your advice and completely ignore anything you have to say from now on.

If it makes you feel better his entire reading of the film is tainted by faulty analysis. He takes the sapience of the kaiju for granted and then takes it a step further to assume that they slaves.

In SMGs world fascism is an adjective without any weight behind it so he feels comfortable using it to describe any confrontation between two groups. By describing Pacific Rim as fascist, SMG has played is hand and the cards read:

A U T I S T

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which is a shame, since you made some pretty legitimate points in the Transformers thread, but hey, you don't want me to listen to you, fine with me.

He didn't call you a fascist though. He called the movie fascist. He doesn't even know you.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shanty posted:

He didn't call you a fascist though. He called the movie fascist. He doesn't even know you.

Yeah, his point is that the movie is fascist and the thread is filled with manchildren. Further observations include drawing possible correlation between the two, but there's no conclusion about the manchildren all being fascists themselves.

why did i even come back to this thread :suicide:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Halman posted:

I think the word you mean is Authoritarian. Or maybe corpratist.

That George Orwell quote. I've never seen it before, and it's the best.

Anyway - I'm on the side that thinks that this film doesn't necessarily need a sequel, but if we get one, that's great.

I'm really looking forward to the Japanese sub. The trailer was something else - like a completely different movie. Much more anime.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shanty posted:

Did you miss this?

Instead of complaining about Orwell references, you should just love stomping faces - unabashedly.

Sorry if I'm taking this personally, but that's pretty much suggesting that as somebody who liked this movie, I should go and stomp on people's faces, and enjoy it. Maybe it's not strictly calling me fascist, but it is making some rather unkind assumptions about my personality.

And that's the last thing I'm going to say on this.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe it's not strictly calling me fascist, but it is making some rather unkind assumptions about my personality.

Don't feel so down about it--some people just like to watch typically human people be themselves. Any resentment against them will only reinforce their belief that the world is broken and needs them to go on. Kind of sad, really.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Let's destroy fascism the human race!

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

The film is totally antiliberal (the precursor aliens are unambiguously liberal mole-men) and also anticommunist (we've already outlined what a communist version of the film would entail - this is not it). So, the question is how anti-conservative it is and, well, I already identified Stacker as a (superfically) anticapitalist third-positionist.

The masculinity/youth thing is the phallic/gynophobic imagery outlined earlier - not to mention the basic design of the jaegers (as football players, brawlers) and their pilots (youthful 'rockstars').

Stacker admittedly doesn't seem imperialistic, but I'm not sure which of the other ideological points you're referring to on Payne's list.

Also, it should be noted that I deliberately reversed the meaning of that Orwell quote. Orwell lamented the trampling of humanity by the 'inhuman' boot, while I'm talking about the punching of the inhuman abject by 'humanity'.

Your saying things about movies doesn't actually make them true. They're the fascist negations, not the facist not-quite-what-this-movie-is...es. Not being what you think a communist version of the movie would look like is not the same thing as being ANTI-communist. And given that the movie involves a whole lot of people working together selflessy for a common good, it's not very anti-communist. I'm also not sure how they're liberal mole-men as liberals would be defined by the fascists. They hated equal gender rights or better access to education? And capitalism, although closely linked usually, is not the same thing as conservatism. Stacker isn't saying that once they blow up the portal they'd better seize all of Hannibal Chau's assets, he just doesn't like the man.

Since the film hinges pretty heavily on Mako being a good Jaeger pilot and a capable fighter(and importantly they object based on her inexperience, not her gender(also, the fact that she and Raleigh can make that kind of deep connection is total denial of the kind of 'organic' society Fascism believes in where men and women are fundamentally different(even more parenthesis))), the whole masculinity/male dominance aspect of fascism, especially as an actual fascist from the 1930s would understand it, is right out. The emphasis on youth in fascism is in direct opposition to being aged, especially in things like defense of the Volk, as in they promote conflict between the two groups based on that distinction. Again, not present in the movie. No one ever suggests Stacker or Herc or the russian pilots are inferior based on their age, most of the pilots we see being young isn't the same thing as arguing the old ones are bad.

And the ideological point on Payne's typology I think the film fits is the heavy emphasis on volunteerism and 'doing your part' present in fascism.

Myself, I'd say the film is a Futurist's wet dream. It's all speed and violence and kickin' rad machinery. Or maybe that Drifting represents the ultimate idealization of Ernst Juenger's brotherhood of the battlefield he describes in Storm of Steel.

Obviously you're free to argue for whatever reading you want, but when you're calling it Facist you're using the word wrong.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Milky Moor posted:

I thought the Australian accents were amazing. Like, as an Australian I know they're not accurate but they were close enough and fit into the over the top world of Pacific Rim. They were like a fun caricature.
I finally got out to see it this weekend. Being an arrogant Yank I'm not equipped to offer an intelligent opinion on how well the Hansens worked as a caricature of Australians. The Becket brothers were absolutely perfect American caricatures in the opening sequence; cocksurely strutting around in their bomber jackets with WWII-esque flash and trading witty banter before firing up their giant robot linebacker and swaggering off to do battle.

Overall it was a decent enough film. Del Toro really knows how to slather on the atmosphere, and the film did a pretty good job at staying in the zone of light hearted adventure. I'll echo the sentiments seen elsewhere in the thread about Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha getting the short end of the stick. Even though their destruction was an 'oh poo poo the game has changed' moment, it would have had a lot more gravity if we'd seen both jaegers in action longer. I'd have loved to see even just brief flashbacks of their previous patrols.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yvonmukluk posted:

Did you miss this?

Sorry if I'm taking this personally, but that's pretty much suggesting that as somebody who liked this movie, I should go and stomp on people's faces, and enjoy it. Maybe it's not strictly calling me fascist, but it is making some rather unkind assumptions about my personality.

And that's the last thing I'm going to say on this.

You misunderstand; I'm saying the vocal fans aren't fascist enough to truly enjoy the spectacle of robots punching monsters on the level they profess to. My observations have been met with halfhearted 'nooo' and denial - except in the case of Jeferoo earlier in the thread. His is the opinion I respect, because he's not shying from having an opinion (instead of merely reacting to mine).

You imply that the film endorses Authoritarian Corporatism. Ok. So where's your enthusiasm for Authoritarian Corporatism?

It's very obvious that I am not tossing the word 'fascist' about as a generic pejorative. But it doesn't seem to matter at all how accurate my language is, so long as folks such as yourself feel insulted. This is, of course the opposite of what Orwell wrote there. The urge to use the word as an insult and the urge to feel insulted by it are two sides of the same coin, equally unconcerned with meaning.

When I write that when the literal sword literally stiffens with rage and is literally thrust into the guts of the wounded enemy, folks write "hurr it's not a penis; it's just a sword" when I'm talking about imagery of agency, power and dominance - which the sword obviously is. The monster is literally being penetrated, dominated, dismembered, disempowered, etc.

So when I say that the film depicts a human fist punching an inhuman face forever, the response should be "GOOD! Crush the inhumans! gently caress them in the rear end!" or an oppositional reading like mine, of we are to be at all honest here.

What I object to are the folks cheering on the punching and then sheepishly quibbling over technicalities when called on it. "Well, uh they're arguably not alive... Technically they are made of silicon..." That's lame.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Verloc posted:

I finally got out to see it this weekend. Being an arrogant Yank I'm not equipped to offer an intelligent opinion on how well the Hansens worked as a caricature of Australians. The Becket brothers were absolutely perfect American caricatures in the opening sequence; cocksurely strutting around in their bomber jackets with WWII-esque flash and trading witty banter before firing up their giant robot linebacker and swaggering off to do battle.

I could believe the son being a caricature of Australians, because as far as the character goes, he perfectly managed the aggressive kind of cocky that's common in red-blooded Australian males, especially sportsmen; the kind that more often than not crosses the line from good-natured ribbing into plain-faced insults. Similarly, the father was a pretty good even-tempered older Aussie bloke, the type that'd be actively supporting his son's sporting career.

I'm sure there were some Australians on the writing team, because none of the Striker Eureka team felt like 'Americans writing Australians'. The pilots are accurate depictions of Australians, Striker Eureka's given a name that I don't think most non-Australians even get, and their emblem's less of a military insignia and more of a sports team, which is bang-on exactly how Australians would handle their Jaeger.

The accents are the only weird part to me, because not only are they bad Australian accents, they're forms of bad Australian accent that I've never heard before. I was talking about this with my dad, and he was confused about it too, since it's not even the typical sound of an American doing an Australian accent; that normally comes out sounding like a New Zealander, but loving nothing sounds like the son's accent. The father had enough of it right that a good few lines sounded properly Australian, but the son I'm completely lost on.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

So when I say that the film depicts a human fist punching an inhuman face forever, the response should be "GOOD! Crush the inhumans! gently caress them in the rear end!" or an oppositional reading like mine, of we are to be at all honest here.
SMG, I absolutely love your analyses. That said: my immediate visceral response to Gipsy Danger triple-tapping the downed Kaiju was "That's why you don't gently caress with Humanity," and my reaction to the bomb going off was "Serves you right." The Kaiju are admittedly apparently tortured, but they're also purpose-built warmachines that (judging from the one that chased Mako, and Newt's commentary on "foraging", one can infer probably) eat people. So screw'em. The best they deserve is a quick death instead of being bludgeoned to death. The Kaiju Masters, comparatively, come from (so we are told) another dimension, and can presumably use their wormhole-like technology to access literally an infinite array of worlds, yet they chose to persist in screwing with this one. That's not sensible economically or logically, and if they come back for a second go around in a sequel, then they're literally undertaking revenge across universes for getting their asses kicked in a fight they started to begin with. They deserve whatever they get.

When The Other is not a Human, or a distinctly Human-like entity (and despite Human tendencies to colonize, to terraform, to exterminate, etc., the film goes very far out of its way to cast the Kaiju Masters as The Other), I personally have no problem with desensitizing and brutally inhuman behavior—particularly when the agents in question seek Humanity's extinction.

tl;dr Oo-rah Hyoomanity!

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet it'll hit minimum 400 million, possibly half a billion by the end of it's theater life. It's still got Brazil and Japan to go, after all.
I agree, not to mention it still hasn't finished out it's theatrical run in China either. If it hits at least $400m, it's a safe bet that a sequel will get made.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was happy to watch the kaiju get the tar beaten out of them. I probably would have been less happy had I interpreted them as representing "the other" generally. I bought completely into the contrivance that allowed their species to be depicted as the unprecedented and likely impossible notion of an intelligent but inhuman enemy, an implacable and singleminded aggressor, a committed and irredeemable evil, which can always be denied mercy.

These images were created to resemble something that could be hated deservedly, in order to ensure that the depiction of their destruction could be unreservedly glorified. It worked quite well, I think! Several posters in this thread made comments to the effect that it was refreshing to view a morally uncomplicated story, and there was a time when practically every other post was exuberance about the combat scenes.

It's only when the (unintentional (but, of course, you are dead)) insult "fascist" entered the dialog that people became defensive - began protesting that they understand it is a fantasy, and that there are no others they know of that are sufficiently other that they wouldn't feel at least a bit uncomfortable about punching them in the face forever.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Devour posted:

I agree, not to mention it still hasn't finished out it's theatrical run in China either. If it hits at least $400m, it's a safe bet that a sequel will get made.

Thing I hope is that's, if a sequel is made, there's more of an international cast of characters. I think I can understand Travis Beacham concentrating on the American and Australian characters more, since writers write what they know and he was born in Tennessee and went to school in North Carolina, but it would be nice if there was more international representation next time.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It's only when the (unintentional (but, of course, you are dead)) insult "fascist" entered the dialog that people became defensive - began protesting that they understand it is a fantasy, and that there are no others they know of that are sufficiently other that they wouldn't feel at least a bit uncomfortable about punching them in the face forever.
This is the other hole in the argument: nothing was in fact punched in the face forever, and nobody sought to punch anything in the face forever. Once a functional military response was figured out (sealing the breach) it was pursued and enacted. Yeah, a ~1MT nuke (presumably the reactor was roughly equivalent to the bomb) got set off on the other side and killed however many of the Masters and Kaiju, but considering probably double-digit million Human deaths by then if not more, that's within what would normally be considered a proportionate response considering the enemy goal was genocide. For all its bombast, the PPDC is not particularly vindictive or violent. Even Mako seemed genuinely satisfied with having gotten revenge.

The movie is if anything about terminating conflict with the Other, not in prolonging it infinitely as a means of seeking glory on the battlefield or anything else, so the glorification, is so far as it exists (and it does, sure) is in using violence as a means to stop conflict, not to prolong it or for its own sake.

e: I say this without having read all of SMG's commentary in the thread, so this may be missing a lot/all of the nuance of his position.

Dux Supremus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 5, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Did anyone else notice one of the pilots of Crimson Typhoon always had a basketball on him when they weren't in their jaeger?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Halman posted:

Your saying things about movies doesn't actually make them true. They're the fascist negations, not the facist not-quite-what-this-movie-is...es. Not being what you think a communist version of the movie would look like is not the same thing as being ANTI-communist. And given that the movie involves a whole lot of people working together selflessy for a common good, it's not very anti-communist. I'm also not sure how they're liberal mole-men as liberals would be defined by the fascists. They hated equal gender rights or better access to education? And capitalism, although closely linked usually, is not the same thing as conservatism. Stacker isn't saying that once they blow up the portal they'd better seize all of Hannibal Chau's assets, he just doesn't like the man.

The anti-communism is heavily implied from the liberal communist response from the human authority. Part and parcel with this is a system of ethical universalism (everyone working together selflessly for the common good) defined by what it disavows (similarly, see my previous post on the liberal idea of ecology). Every universalizing system of ethics relies on a ‘fetishist disavowal’ of certain events, necessarily excluding them from consideration in the system’s very universalizing system of ethics. We need to look specifically at what the film is excluding to unpack it's true ethical stance, which responses such as:

Dux Supremus posted:

SMG, I absolutely love your analyses. That said: my immediate visceral response to Gipsy Danger triple-tapping the downed Kaiju was "That's why you don't gently caress with Humanity," and my reaction to the bomb going off was "Serves you right." The Kaiju are admittedly apparently tortured, but they're also purpose-built warmachines that (judging from the one that chased Mako, and Newt's commentary on "foraging", one can infer probably) eat people. So screw'em. The best they deserve is a quick death instead of being bludgeoned to death. The Kaiju Masters, comparatively, come from (so we are told) another dimension, and can presumably use their wormhole-like technology to access literally an infinite array of worlds, yet they chose to persist in screwing with this one. That's not sensible economically or logically, and if they come back for a second go around in a sequel, then they're literally undertaking revenge across universes for getting their asses kicked in a fight they started to begin with. They deserve whatever they get.

When The Other is not a Human, or a distinctly Human-like entity (and despite Human tendencies to colonize, to terraform, to exterminate, etc., the film goes very far out of its way to cast the Kaiju Masters as The Other), I personally have no problem with desensitizing and brutally inhuman behavior—particularly when the agents in question seek Humanity's extinction.

tl;dr Oo-rah Hyoomanity!

Bongo Bill posted:

I was happy to watch the kaiju get the tar beaten out of them. I probably would have been less happy had I interpreted them as representing "the other" generally. I bought completely into the contrivance that allowed their species to be depicted as the unprecedented and likely impossible notion of an intelligent but inhuman enemy, an implacable and singleminded aggressor, a committed and irredeemable evil, which can always be denied mercy.

These images were created to resemble something that could be hated deservedly, in order to ensure that the depiction of their destruction could be unreservedly glorified. It worked quite well, I think! Several posters in this thread made comments to the effect that it was refreshing to view a morally uncomplicated story, and there was a time when practically every other post was exuberance about the combat scenes.

help us to do. That is not to say that this is the "wrong" way to view the film or that it makes a person bad or whatever, but that they implicitly support the ideological assertions that the film makes. There's nothing wrong with liking a movie, even a movie you find politically distasteful; but at least examine what you are liking.

Zizek's 'Violence' posted:

“To wonder at this fact is not a proper philosophical attitude. That is to say, what if that which appears as an inconsistency, as the failure to draw all the consequences from one’s ethical attitude, is, on the contrary, its positive condition of possibility? What if such an exclusion of some form of otherness from the scope of our ethical concerns is consubstantial with the very founding gesture of ethical universality, so that the more universal our explicit ethics is, the more brutal the underlying exclusion is?

What the Christian all-inclusive attitude (recall St Paul’s famous ‘there are no men or women, no Jews and Greeks’) involves is a thorough exclusion of those who do not accept inclusion into the Christian community. In other ‘particularistic’ religions (and even in Islam, in spite of its global expansionism), there is a place for others: they are tolerated, even if they are looked upon with condescension. The Christian motto ‘all men are brothers’, however, also means that those who do not accept brotherhood are not men. In the early years of the Iranian revolution, Khomeini played on the same paradox when he claimed, in an interview for the Western press, that the Iranian revolution was the most humane in all of history: not a single person was killed by the revolutionaries. When the surprised journalist asked about the death penalties publicised in the media, Khomeini calmly replied: ‘Those that we killed were not men, but criminal dogs!’

Christians usually praise themselves for overcoming the Jewish exclusivist notion of the Chosen People and encompassing the entirety of humanity. The catch is that, in their very insistence that they are the Chosen People with a privileged direct link to God, Jews accept the humanity of the other people who celebrate their false gods, while Christian universalism tendentiously excludes non-believers from the very universality of humankind.” (pp. 46-47)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Spacebump posted:

Did anyone else notice one of the pilots of Crimson Typhoon always had a basketball on him when they weren't in their jaeger?

Space Jam 2: Pacific Slam

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You know, the only thing I really could have hoped for in this film is

1.) More Jaeger on Kaiju action

and the only thing I can really anticipate about a potential sequel is

2.) More Jaeger on Kaju action

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
The sequel will be called: Pacific Ring of Fire. :smugbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

As Danger already indicated, the issue is with the choice of target. I've no problem if the kaiju unite with the wall-builders to crush the decadent hu-mans, after all. The trouble is that the exclusion doesn't happen along class lines, but along race/species lines.

It's the contrivance that bothers, because people are definitely buying into the idea that the kaiju are philosophical zombies - biological machines who simply act like they can think and experience pain. The lesson of the p-zombie thought experiment, however, is that all people are zombies by the same standard. So you have Them!, Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, Blade Runner, Battle: LA (and so-on), that all say - correctly - that the problem with a 'bug hunt' is that the hunters are bugs also. You do have to ask why Pacific Rim takes a different tact and tacitly agrees with the propaganda of Starship Troopers.

In Battle: Los Angeles specifically, you have the scene where a marine scopes out group of cyborg fungi and asks aloud "what if they are just poor grunts like me, with thoughts and feelings too? Maybe they don't want to be here either..." (paraphrased). It's played as a sort of deadpan joke, but the joke isn't that he's wrong. The joke is that he's right, as he and his fellow marines are also 'just' watery meatbags. The need to defeat the enemy simply has nothing to do with 'levels of sentience' or whatever. It's the lesson of Toy Story and Ghost in the Shell 2: being unable to empathize with puppets indicates not rationality but some sort of deficiency. At the same time, the message is that the only thing separating us from being mere dogs and puppets is commitment to an ethical ideal.

In other words, “if anyone comes to [Christ] and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be [Christ's] disciple." If you put platonic friendship with a blue-haired Asian gal above the cause of universal freedom, you're just not doing it right.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 6, 2013

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Danger posted:

The anti-communism is heavily implied from the liberal communist response from the human authority. Part and parcel with this is a system of ethical universalism (everyone working together selflessly for the common good) defined by what it disavows (similarly, see my previous post on the liberal idea of ecology). Every universalizing system of ethics relies on a ‘fetishist disavowal’ of certain events, necessarily excluding them from consideration in the system’s very universalizing system of ethics. We need to look specifically at what the film is excluding to unpack it's true ethical stance, which responses such as:

No actually fascist film (they exist, go watch one, they aren't super subtle) is going to be like 'welp, we showed that the 'liberal communist' response to the giant monsters wasnt' the best. That'll be anti-communist enough for Der Fuhrer, right?' You would have never had the Russians or the Chinese be one of the effective/still surviving teams, especially given how evocative Cherno Alpha's design is of soviet aesthetic.
Also the film is pretty explicit that the world's elite, those sneaky bourgeoisie, have some secret plan for themselves. The world's working classes are left to fend for themselves, and super importantly, are the ones who succeed, in the form of the multi-national PPDC that has seized the means of Kaiju killing(ie production), in ending the threat.
You could maybe argue that the russian and chinese robots dying like bitches while the super cool western ones kick all the rear end and save the day is anti-communist, but that's pretty subtle(Fascists aren't subtle).

Danger posted:

That is not to say that this is the "wrong" way to view the film or that it makes a person bad or whatever, but that they implicitly support the ideological assertions that the film makes. There's nothing wrong with liking a movie, even a movie you find politically distasteful; but at least examine what you are liking.

I'm not saying don't examine it, just that calling it fascist is wrong.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'm really interested in how the potential (probable?) sequel will demonstrate what happens when all this fabulous global-paramilitary technology filters down to the academic and private sectors long after the breach is blown. Heavy-industry construction Jaegers? Psychiatrists drifting with patients to really get into their heads? Reverse-engineered, miniaturized pet Kaiju?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I'm really interested in how the potential (probable?) sequel will demonstrate what happens when all this fabulous global-paramilitary technology filters down to the academic and private sectors long after the breach is blown. Heavy-industry construction Jaegers? Psychiatrists drifting with patients to really get into their heads? Reverse-engineered, miniaturized pet Kaiju?

Del Toro is a big fan of patlabor.

• Locked thread