Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Tollymain posted:

Wait you can keep undead inside of a bag of holding?

This sounds like something you could exploit :v:

It's also been established in setting that this is possible, as Haley suggested it to Belkar when they were fleeing Azure City with Roy's corpse (they didnt because he was afraid it would activate his mark of justice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Durkon's as an unundead had a natural Str of around 14, right? As a vampire, how hard is he smacking the unarmored, already hurt drow wizard there?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Durkon's as an unundead had a natural Str of around 14, right? As a vampire, how hard is he smacking the unarmored, already hurt drow wizard there?

Vampire is +6 strength, so he's hitting for less than Roy would.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

Vampire is +6 strength, so he's hitting for less than Roy would.

But still reasonably hard considering he likely didn't have a terrible Strength to begin with. That being said a quarter staff only does 1d6 damage. Even accounting for the staff being magical, Z can't have taken more than 15~ish damage max. Wizards are fragile, Z and V both probably only have between 40-50 HP, but after taking a few rocks to the face Z might be getting pretty low. If it was a crit it would be 30~ish damage which is a lot more dangerous.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He did go everywhere in full platemail, with a big fuckoff hammer and shield.
I imagine his str score is decent.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The real question is if he has power attack, I guess.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^
Pretty unlikely. Power Attack is really only useful for people with full base attack and a two-handed weapon.

He probably had a 14-16 Str, which would now be a 20-22. So that's +5 or +6 damage modifier from strength. If he rolled max damage and the staff counted as a +5 weapon (And it probably isn't), that's 15 or 16 16 or 17 damage, I mathed bad for a second. With a better weapon Durkon would be very dangerous.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 4, 2013

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

So yeah Durkon is hitting hard, but he's no Roy.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^
Pretty unlikely. Power Attack is really only useful for people with full base attack and a two-handed weapon.

He probably had a 14-16 Str, which would now be a 20-22. So that's +5 or +6 damage modifier from strength. If he rolled max damage and the staff counted as a +5 weapon (And it probably isn't), that's 15 or 16 16 or 17 damage, I mathed bad for a second. With a better weapon Durkon would be very dangerous.

The staff is a two-handed weapon so it gets strength and a half.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I overlooked that because I was thinking about the quarterstaff being a double-weapon. :downs:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
So how long does Protection from Daylight last, about a day? I'm trying to figure out how long Durkon has to get his poo poo together, even with the staff as backup. Even with fast healing, does he require sleep or some mandatory period of downtime at all, or will briefly trancing/meditating replenish spells (deity to be determined later)?

I can also picture the following two gags if he rejoins the Order:
1. Belkar surrounding himself and Mr. Scruffy in garlic and claims he's had it because he's a chef
2. Durkon borrowing Girard's sarcophagus, leading to everyone bitching about hauling it across the desert (...which makes me wonder once again if there was any significance to those bone bits or whatever falling out in #905)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Malack always prepared it twice, once for regular casting and once to be safe, so it probably lasts 24 hours.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Probably an hour per level or so is more likely. If Malack was even as low as 13th level, the bare minimum to cast the Harm spell that he used, those 13 hours should be sufficient for his needs as long as he's careful. And if he's higher level than that it would have been even easier.

Durkon should have well past nightfall with the casting he got from Malack, so he's good until tomorrow's dawn at the very least.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'd say it's another branch of the Energy Immunity spell. That protects you completely from one element and lasts 24 hours. It's not that much of a stretch to include "Sunlight" along with the elements you can pick.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Slashrat posted:

Just because [Mass Death Ward] is now redundant for Durkon (it doesn't impair him in any way) doesn't lessen its usefulness for whoever Durkon ends up allied with.

If he did cast it, would he still be able to heal himself with Harm while it was in effect?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Suaimhneas posted:

If he did cast it, would he still be able to heal himself with Harm while it was in effect?
No. But since negative energy (including enervate / energy drain) now heals him, and death effects do nothing, I don't think he would have any reason to apply it to himself in the first place.

When he cast MDW on himself and Belkar, some people hoped he would have been smart enough to extend it to Malack too, precisely to deny him the ability to self-heal (although he would have got a saving throw against it).

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I only just now realized that in the last strip, Nale is ripping off Malack's robe's to expose him to the sun. Totally didn't get that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if Durkon's replacement in the Order was a newly True Resurrected Malack?

Yeah, no way that would happen, his story is over, but man that would be interesting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

greatn posted:

What if Durkon's replacement in the Order was a newly True Resurrected Malack?

Yeah, no way that would happen, his story is over, but man that would be interesting.

Not really? It's not interesting for the exact reasons you say it's not gonna happen. Malack-sans-Vampiricness is a completely different person than the Malack we knew and has less to do with the cast or plot that Vampire Malack.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not really? It's not interesting for the exact reasons you say it's not gonna happen. Malack-sans-Vampiricness is a completely different person than the Malack we knew and has less to do with the cast or plot that Vampire Malack.

I know, that's what makes him interesting to me. I wonder what he was like before, and what it would be like for someone to suddenly be alive 200 years later in the aftermath of deeds by a guy who was very much like him but not him. It doesn't really fit the rest of the story though. It's something I would pick if I had won a kickstart award. It would beat the keystone cops for sure.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

It would beat the keystone cops for sure.

Or Therkla, the slightly-shunned half-orc who went to ninja school and killed her way to the top before accepting mercenary work for Kubota. That's all the backstory I needed. If I had oodles of disposable income I probably would've picked an actual explanation of how Haley, Celia, and Belkar got Roy's bone golem corpse back simply because they implied they never wanted to speak of it again.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

TunaSpleen posted:

If I had oodles of disposable income I probably would've picked an actual explanation of how Haley, Celia, and Belkar got Roy's bone golem corpse back simply because they implied they never wanted to speak of it again.

It's in the print edition; the only detail I've heard about it is that Crystal repeatedly tried to kill Haley during the mission.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TunaSpleen posted:

Or Therkla, the slightly-shunned half-orc who went to ninja school and killed her way to the top before accepting mercenary work for Kubota. That's all the backstory I needed. If I had oodles of disposable income I probably would've picked an actual explanation of how Haley, Celia, and Belkar got Roy's bone golem corpse back simply because they implied they never wanted to speak of it again.

It's a bonus strip in the print compilation "Don't Split the Party."

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

TunaSpleen posted:

They basically just raided the old man's house and stole the golem. It's not a hugely interesting tangent or anything.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think you're underselling it. I was quite amused by Crystal's complete incompetence at trying to kill Haley "by accident". True, it's not deep or really required reading or anything, save in how it spurs Haley's decision to kill Crystal and steal her stuff but that's why it's bonus material. If anything that's a problem with Start of Darkness because there really is mission critical data to be found in there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

jng2058 posted:

I think you're underselling it. I was quite amused by Crystal's complete incompetence at trying to kill Haley "by accident". True, it's not deep or really required reading or anything, save in how it spurs Haley's decision to kill Crystal and steal her stuff but that's why it's bonus material. If anything that's a problem with Start of Darkness because there really is mission critical data to be found in there.

Eh, the big reveal in Start of Darkness was covered by the comic pretty recently.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Eh, the big reveal in Start of Darkness was covered by the comic pretty recently.
There is some amazing character work done on Redcloak in particular that the story is weaker without, though. Most notably, his fatal flaw.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, that answered the Roy question quickly enough.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Don't you mean NOOTS?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What he means is :siren:new comic:siren:!

edit: Beaten like a drow wizard.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Welp, fair well dark elf. I thought it might happen but drat, that was cold. I'm not up on my rules really, is it possible for vampire Durkon to get spells that can heal the living?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gally posted:

Welp, fair well dark elf. I thought it might happen but drat, that was cold. I'm not up on my rules really, is it possible for vampire Durkon to get spells that can heal the living?

Yes, but he probably didn't prepare any, since he's used to being able to spontaneously cast them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gally posted:

I think the joke is that now Durkon spontaneously casts Inflict spells instead of Cure spells. If he wants to heal he now has to specifically prepare Cure spells.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah. It's not a deep joke, but it is the single largest change to Durkon's whole class situation.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hopefully this means we'll get one strip next explaining Durkon's diety situation and be done with that question.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
The real question is, how long before the GITP forums start :spergin: about how saying "Cure Moderate Wounds" with a spontaneous conversion should result in a fizzle instead of Inflict, since IMW still has a verbal component?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roy was pretty low on health, wasn't he? He might be out of the fight now. Can they defeat the Sand Elemental with Durkon's help?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Roy willfully and knowingly hangs out with Belkar so OF COURSE he would have no problem hanging out with a vampired Durkon, who he at least likes and views as his best friend.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
And, in one panel, the whole alignment debate w/r/t Durkon is solved forever so we never ever have to talk about it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

Roy was pretty low on health, wasn't he? He might be out of the fight now. Can they defeat the Sand Elemental with Durkon's help?

Considering Durkon appears to be fighting incredibly effectively and ruthlessly I think they will be fine.

Other fun fact, according to Rich on the forums (I was curious if anyone was :smaug: enough to complain about the rules of spontaneous casting) says it's because he is a vampire cleric (as they always channel Negative energy).