Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If this is Europe, and they're Europeans, what ocean could it possibly be? Did they all come from North America?
Seems more likely they went to America, since they've got European names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dirty nub posted:

They must have come from multiple places because mikasa's mother was oriental and I guess everyone else is Anglo Saxon?
They come across as more continental Germanic than specifically Anglo-Saxon.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

They come across as more continental Germanic than specifically Anglo-Saxon.

I thought it was just a hodgepodge of Northern and Eastern Europe. I'm seeing lots of Germanic and Slavic names.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just look at the list of prominent names; Eren is probably Turkish and Jaeger is pretty germanic; Ackermann is German (or Old English according to Wikipedia), Armin is a German name and Arlelt is apparently not a name at all, Annie is a common enough name in many languages, but Leonhard is Old German, Reiner comes from Old Norse or Old German, Braun is German, Berthold is German, Ilse is German, Kirstein isn't an actual name according to Google, but Kirsten is a German name, Petra is Greek...but common in Germany. It's pretty much all German names. Sure occasionally you get names that aren't obviously German like Jean or Ymir, but even then there are rarely any other characters with similar etymology to create a pattern, and they often have Germanic surnames (Eren and Jean do, Ymir doesn't have any so far). Naming-wise, all signs point to Germany.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Ymir is Norse, and there's probably an old German version of the name (like Odin/Woten).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Just look at the list of prominent names; Eren is probably Turkish and Jaeger is pretty germanic; Ackermann is German (or Old English according to Wikipedia), Armin is a German name and Arlelt is apparently not a name at all, Annie is a common enough name in many languages, but Leonhard is Old German, Reiner comes from Old Norse or Old German, Braun is German, Berthold is German, Ilse is German, Kirstein isn't an actual name according to Google, but Kirsten is a German name, Petra is Greek...but common in Germany. It's pretty much all German names. Sure occasionally you get names that aren't obviously German like Jean or Ymir, but even then there are rarely any other characters with similar etymology to create a pattern, and they often have Germanic surnames (Eren and Jean do, Ymir doesn't have any so far). Naming-wise, all signs point to Germany.

I think it's probably a mistake to try and tie things in with the real world in any way. It seems just as likely that the names are just the result of the Japanese author wanting a bunch of white European characters. I doubt that history in the world of Attack on Titan coincides with real world history in any way, and there's no reason to think that actual, real-world countries exist/existed in the story either.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's probably a mistake to try and tie things in with the real world in any way. It seems just as likely that the names are just the result of the Japanese author wanting a bunch of white European characters. I doubt that history in the world of Attack on Titan coincides with real world history in any way, and there's no reason to think that actual, real-world countries exist/existed in the story either.

Also the author just could've thought that German names sound totally rad.

Seems to be a Japanese thing [citation needed].

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Reading various nationalities into the romanization of words when the author called his manga "Attack on Titan" is iffy at best. I'm pretty sure Eren is actually meant to be Aaron.

Also using inaccurate and superficial ideas about foreign cultures as a kind of style gloss isn't just a Japanese thing!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elotana posted:

Reading various nationalities into the romanization of words when the author called his manga "Attack on Titan" is iffy at best. I'm pretty sure Eren is actually meant to be Aaron.

Also using inaccurate and superficial ideas about foreign cultures as a kind of style gloss isn't just a Japanese thing!

Is Bertholdt "Fubar" the actual official romanization? Because why in the world would you choose "Fubar" instead of "Hubar/Hoover/Huber" or just about anything else that isn't an acronym for "hosed up beyond all recognition"?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Is Bertholdt "Fubar" the actual official romanization? Because why in the world would you choose "Fubar" instead of "Hubar/Hoover/Huber" or just about anything else that isn't an acronym for "hosed up beyond all recognition"?

As a joke? I was hoping that or some sort of error.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

I didn't say anything about inaccuracy or superficial ideas. Just that the Japanese seem to think German names sound totally awesome. Or a number of mangaka, at least. (FMA or Bleach come to mind.)

As a matter of fact, German names DO sound totally awesome. There I said it :colbert:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Ytlaya posted:

Just checked my copy of Vol. 5, it's Bertolt Hoover. No Problem.

E: Bertolt is the best name because it's easy to forget, much like Bert

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mio Bison posted:

Just checked my copy of Vol. 5, it's Bertolt Hoover. No Problem.

Ah, good.

Wanted to quote this one guy from the anime thread, because I found his speculation pretty funny:

Freakazoid_ posted:

To that end, the only two people who could be colossal titan are Pixis and Conny, both whom have bald heads. Colossal titan is probably not Conny, because he was present when the colossal titan attacked. That leaves Pixis, which is such a shock without proper corroboration.

I can sort of see how you might think Pixis is suspicious or something, but Conny being the colossal titan would have been even stranger/funnier than Bertholdt.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Bert being the colossal titan is pretty much perfect. Bert isn't goofy, funny or weird. He isn't particularly cool, suave or charismatic either. He's not the best at Military Life, he's also not the worst. Things go crazy all around him and he's just sort of getting through life the best he can.

That's what makes his titan form so great. He's not just average, he's so average if he didn't exist nobody would notice. Because he never does anything and he has like five lines.

And he's the most iconic character from the series

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Vincent Valentine posted:

Bert being the colossal titan is pretty much perfect. Bert isn't goofy, funny or weird. He isn't particularly cool, suave or charismatic either. He's not the best at Military Life, he's also not the worst. Things go crazy all around him and he's just sort of getting through life the best he can.

That's what makes his titan form so great. He's not just average, he's so average if he didn't exist nobody would notice. Because he never does anything and he has like five lines.

And he's the most iconic character from the series

Bert is the best at what he does. It's just that he only does one thing, and not terribly often at that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Isn't Bert #3 in the rankings for their class, behind only Reiner and Mikasa (who is such a freak of nature she practically doesn't count)? That's hardly average.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, it goes Mikasa->Reiner->Bert->Annie->Eren. Ymir was purposefully keeping herself out of the top 10 so Christa could get in though, so who knows if she would've made the top 5.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Honestly that just makes it worse.

He's a titan killing prodigy but he's so loving boring that it's just, you know, whatever.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Honestly I still just like that Mikasa beats three (at the time) titan-humans for the top spot. I mean, we have no real proof that their titan-ness gives them any edge other than regeneration (though you could argue that regeneration would do a lot for increasing the speed of muscle growth and training) but still. The next three people are loving titans and Mikasa just casually beats them out. Especially since, as I recall, none of them ever suggested they held back to avoid top spot like Ymir.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It probably helps that Reiner and Bert had a head-start in 3-D gear training since they were using it 5 years prior to the current story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Honestly I still just like that Mikasa beats three (at the time) titan-humans for the top spot. I mean, we have no real proof that their titan-ness gives them any edge other than regeneration (though you could argue that regeneration would do a lot for increasing the speed of muscle growth and training) but still. The next three people are loving titans and Mikasa just casually beats them out. Especially since, as I recall, none of them ever suggested they held back to avoid top spot like Ymir.

I mostly don't mind wherever this story goes and always roll my eyes when people make "I hope they don't X" statements, but man, I hope Mikasa is a totally ordinary human being. I mean, apart from being a prodigy.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

It's because she's the last (half) Asian. No but seriously I hope she's just a normal human an this doesn't result in some power creep of everyone being a Titan and having special powers. It's also possible that Eren's father injected her with something.

dirty nub fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 6, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mostly don't mind wherever this story goes and always roll my eyes when people make "I hope they don't X" statements, but man, I hope Mikasa is a totally ordinary human being. I mean, apart from being a prodigy.

Ditto. I want her monster strength to come from her twisted world view and nothing else. She's just really drat good at killing titans, and that's that. I mean, she wouldn't even be the only character like that since "Good At Titan Murder" is basically Levi's schtick too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So It Goes posted:

You guys care an awful lot about viewers of a different medium experiencing the story the exact same and "correct" way as you did in a different medium. Who cares? Reminds me of Game of Thrones book readers.

edit: Some of you guys anyways, didn't mean to generalize.

vvvvvvvvv Who cares if they experience the story beats the same way as you? Why do you care? It's a completely different medium. If you want them to mimic your experience you should get them to read, then they can follow the same story beats that you experienced.

It's because TV viewers of all forms tend to be dumb as bricks and don't loving pay attention.

Also I'm not really liking how the anime isn't nearly as graphic as the manga. It's disappointing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's because TV viewers of all forms tend to be dumb as bricks and don't loving pay attention.

Also I'm not really liking how the anime isn't nearly as graphic as the manga. It's disappointing.

Actually, I didn't really detect any differences between the "graphicness" of both mediums. The manga is also full of "putting in mouth/carrying toward mouth, then cut-away" moments.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has plenty of full page devourin'.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually, I didn't really detect any differences between the "graphicness" of both mediums. The manga is also full of "putting in mouth/carrying toward mouth, then cut-away" moments.

Every time it cuts away, and the manga is way more graphic about this.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Every time it cuts away, and the manga is way more graphic about this.

This is probably just a TV thing. I've seen already the tell tale black shadows that indicate the censorship being removed on the blu rays, so i guess we'll see it eventually if we have a spare grand or two lying around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like i should re-read the manga or something, because I don't really remember some of this poo poo at all.

Also I kind of think Mikasa is a secret titan who knows more than she's said.

The top 5 people in the trainee program, how many are confirmed titans?

That's right, four. And Mikasa is #1. As a kid she promptly crushed the handle of the knife in her hand, and broke wood simply by controlling her muscles to propel her forward. There's no way she's normal in a series that tries to back itself up with facts.

Ytlaya posted:

The anime EXPLICITLY says that Mikasa is "asian" and they are a race of humans that came into the walls from "asia"

There's no reason not to think this is actually dystopian and in the future.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 6, 2013

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Prison Warden posted:

This is probably just a TV thing. I've seen already the tell tale black shadows that indicate the censorship being removed on the blu rays, so i guess we'll see it eventually if we have a spare grand or two lying around.

There has been a lot of pretty conspicuous masking, though I still get the feeling that some stuff - say, the panel depicting Levi forearm-deep in both of Titan Annie's eyeballs - won't be making it to the anime at all.

CheapSushi
May 31, 2011
I don't think Mikasa's a titan now, but I bet that sometime in the future the titan-camp will decide that she'd make a pretty bitchin' titan and want to kidnap her with the intention of getting her to work for their side. Like a "If you work with us, we'll make you a titan! You'll be able to protect Eren better! Come to the dark side!" situation. Then lots of dramatically shaded anime faces can be had by all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unfortunately the Evil Titan Village will have a severe lapse of good judgement and send Snidely Schmidtlash and Muttley Petersen to capture her, and it will turn into a wacky tournament arc somehow that lasts over 50 chapters.

Then Sasha eats the prize lol, everyone loses!

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Do we know why the trees are so goddamned big? Are there normal-sized trees inside of them? Do they dissolve into steam the moment you cut them down?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
They dissolve into smoke, obviously.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

From the anime thread:

Elotana posted:

Minor manga spoiler: a character later implies that they're gay, also in a matter-of-fact "no big deal" way.

Does anyone know who he's referring to/can link the page with this?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

From the anime thread:

Does anyone know who he's referring to/can link the page with this?

I can't remember the page or chapter, but it's when Ymir and Reiner are talking in castle Utgrad.

Ymir: Oh its you, Reiner. What are you doing, sneaking up girls in the middle of the night with lewd intentions?
Reiner: What a suprise I didn't think I looked the kind of guy who was interested in girls. By the way, I don't think your the kind of women whose interested in boys either.
Ymir: Oh really :smug:

Reiner making jokes about marrying Christa and what was revealed about him recently of course complicates matters. Right now I think it's possible that the "soldier" is strait (as part of his self deception) and the "warrior" is not.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 6, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On that note, I read somewhere that Isayama had confirmed on his website that Ymir and Christa are gay. Is this true, for the Japanese speakers here?

Also, Reiner might be bisexual? :shobon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pensive posted:

I can't remember the page or chapter, but it's when Ymir and Reiner are talking in castle Utgrad.

Ymir: Oh its you, Reiner. What are you doing, sneaking up girls in the middle of the night with lewd intentions?
Reiner: What a suprise I didn't think I looked the kind of guy who was interested in girls. By the way, I don't think your the kind of women whose interested in boys either.
Ymir: Oh really :smug:

Reiner making jokes about marrying Christa and what was revealed about him recently of course complicates matters. Right now I think it's possible that the "soldier" is strait (as part of his self deception) and the "warrior" is not.

Oh yeah, I remember that scene now. And since I binged through the manga, I was a bit confused since there it's hinted he's gay, but recent stuff suggests he's straight. I like your idea that it's part of his split personality thing.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Autumncomet posted:

On that note, I read somewhere that Isayama had confirmed on his website that Ymir and Christa are gay. Is this true, for the Japanese speakers here?

Also, Reiner might be bisexual? :shobon:

Ymir's bio on the official manga website says that she's in love with Christa. I'm fairly sure the word used only applies to romantic love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I interpreted that line as "I'm not interested in romantic pursuits" not as "I don't like girls I like boys." But he used that to call ymir out on wanting to be with christa.