Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

KS posted:

I feel like I'm missing something completely obvious here. Is there no way to set a VLAN tag for an independent hardware iscsi adapter through the GUI? Even though you can set IP address and everything else?

Likely driver dependent. May have an option in the cards bios too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

The answer is, as always, it depends. In general, the hypervisor is very good at scheduling and you will possibly see a loss of performance with hyperthreading. The reality is that you are unlikely to see much of a difference unless you are under contention.
This, pretty much.

Most people really don't hammer VMs in a lab setting all that regularly. For most people, the whole idea behind running multiple concurrent VMs in a lab is to run different pieces of infrastructure and make them all fit together, but 99% of the time this infrastructure is just going to sit completely idle. With memory being as cheap as it is nowadays, constraints on any reasonably modern lab machine are probably going to be disk I/O, memory, CPU and network in that order, with the last two almost never being bottlenecks.

On the other hand, if you're trying to simulate something like a Hadoop cluster or a grid computing environment with several VMs where the whole idea is to load the CPU, by all means, go for it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

KS posted:

Alarm bells are ringing. RAID-0 is a stripe, not a mirror, and the faster performance makes sense there too. That doesn't afford you any kind of data redundancy, which you had stated was the point.

I forgot to mention that I was going to be buying a Seagate 4TB NAS drive to back the RAID-0 to, although I'm still debating buying a third 2TB NAS drive and just going RAID-5, however my roommate was sort of pushing me to go the RAID-0 route for speed, and a backup to the 4TB NAS for redundancy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Do you really want to have to rebuild the box when one of the drives dies (which will definitely happen, just a matter of when)?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

God dammit VMware. You used to be able to get someone on the phone immediately (or after waiting in a queue) but now it's just a recorded voice saying they've made "enhancements" to their ticket routing and you can go gently caress yourself and wait for a callback like the chump you are. It was nice to be able to get a quick answer even for non-critical issues.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Erwin posted:

God dammit VMware. You used to be able to get someone on the phone immediately (or after waiting in a queue) but now it's just a recorded voice saying they've made "enhancements" to their ticket routing and you can go gently caress yourself and wait for a callback like the chump you are. It was nice to be able to get a quick answer even for non-critical issues.
Looks like EMC finally got their grubby hands on it :allears:

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Erwin posted:

What if you mash 0 repeatedly then say its a production-down issue to the operator?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

three posted:

What if you mash 0 repeatedly then say its a production-down issue to the operator?

It's not really production-down (I have an unusable host, but it's not affecting anything). I talked to customer service and they said it's a change they made in March. Severity 2 and down is all callbacks now (production-down still gets you to someone). That really loving sucks because VMware was one of the few companies that still got you to a human in a reasonable amount of time. Now even Veeam has better tech support.

The use of the word "enhancements" is what really pissed me off though. By enhancements they mean "fired half the tech staff to make earnings look better."

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

three posted:

If you're not paying for a TAM and BCS or MCS levels of support they'll probably just take your case and tell you to expect a callback like everyone else. We don't have an EMC TAM, but we do with Microsoft and it's so nice having our TAM raise holy hell if there's an issue.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Erwin posted:

Now even Veeam has better tech support.
If you can get a 20-year-old disgruntled VMware tech to prank call your office for a month with "RANDY WAZZAAAAAAAAP" I'll buy this (this actually happened with Veeam)

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

If you can get a 20-year-old disgruntled VMware tech to prank call your office for a month with "RANDY WAZZAAAAAAAAP" I'll buy this (this actually happened with Veeam)

What did you do to that poor guy?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hey, if he answers a technical question each time, I'm game.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Veeam is the only place I've ever called where the guy who picked up was 100% severely hungover.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Veeam will kill your dog if you let it walk it, then keep walking it every day and not tell you it died.

That is my analogy for how the product works. The support person promised me that he did not kill my dog, though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Feeling your pain, because I'm about 15 minutes from a busted SLA on a severity 2 issue. What should have been a minor upgrade to vCenter appears to have completely broken HA.

They were so good once. Maybe it was just because I had access to Federal support.

KS fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 5, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

What did you do to that poor guy?
I reacted completely professionally and appropriately in relation to his demeanor on a support call by informing his manager, and I'm fairly sure he is no longer employed there as a result of that ticket. His manager was really wonderful to deal with and a total professional. If the support organization was full of people like her, it would be a really great company. I get the feeling she inherited a nepotistic shitshow from someone who left under circumstances similar to that tech.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

skipdogg posted:

If you're not paying for a TAM and BCS or MCS levels of support they'll probably just take your case and tell you to expect a callback like everyone else. We don't have an EMC TAM, but we do with Microsoft and it's so nice having our TAM raise holy hell if there's an issue.

TAM doesn't help with VMware. They are part of the sales organization. They are more like sales engineers than anything else. They don't have access to support any more than your sales team does. I am told BCS and MCS can help, but I haven't had a chance first hand yet to prove that. We paid an expensive lesson to VMwarr to learn that.

Our Microsoft tam is amazing and worth every penny.

I can tell you that the "escalate" button in the web ticket management for VMware does normally work. Managers have a tiny SLA for responding to you hitting that button. 30-60min I think. Also all of them have their managers in their signature which you can cc constantly to get some attention.

Even harder than getting a real mirror fogging human to pickup your ticket, is getting them to accept that their KB search isn't the end all be all of troubleshooting (maybe if you haven't found anything in 3 days its not there to be found) and that they need to escalate.

parid fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 6, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well VMworld is around the corner. I am interested on how they are going to present it this year.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well VMworld is around the corner. I am interested on how they are going to present it this year.

Usually they do something on stage in Hall D.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
VM newbie here, not sure if this is the right thread to ask because it seems like the VM discussed here is at the enterprise level...

... but anyway, i'm thinking of using virtualbox to do more secure browsing to avoid malware and other exploits. I'm running Windows 7 and want to use something like Ubunto on virtualbox. Will that give me reasonably good security? Also, would using lastpass in that VM environment pose a risk or is that ok?

Thanks!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

VM newbie here, not sure if this is the right thread to ask because it seems like the VM discussed here is at the enterprise level...

... but anyway, i'm thinking of using virtualbox to do more secure browsing to avoid malware and other exploits. I'm running Windows 7 and want to use something like Ubunto on virtualbox. Will that give me reasonably good security? Also, would using lastpass in that VM environment pose a risk or is that ok?

Thanks!

Install Gentoo?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

cheese-cube posted:

Install Gentoo?

Why Gentoo over Ubuntu?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks!

Yeah you can use ubuntu or Fedora in virtualbox, with the "NAT" option. It will segment much of the possibility of your windows 7 getting malware/attacked for the most part.

You could also do a virtual machine install and just have it revert to a snapshot each time you reboot.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

Why Gentoo over Ubuntu?

I think the idea is that Gentoo is pretty cutting-edge so there will be a reduced risk of 0 day exploits. It still takes hackers time to comb over code so if you're putting out new software every 2 days that will (hopefully) be too fast for hackers thus they will only be able to attack older software.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

I think the idea is that Gentoo is pretty cutting-edge so there will be a reduced risk of 0 day exploits. It still takes hackers time to comb over code so if you're putting out new software every 2 days that will (hopefully) be too fast for hackers thus they will only be able to attack older software.

That assumes you're running "emerge -uND system && emerge -uND world" every night. You're just as safe with a current version of Fedora or Ubuntu. You're also safe with Arch. Incidentally, bugs and exploits also get introduced, so a bleeding-edge system isn't necessarily safer.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I think the install gentoo was a bad meme/joke.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

evol262 posted:

That assumes you're running "emerge -uND system && emerge -uND world" every night. You're just as safe with a current version of Fedora or Ubuntu. You're also safe with Arch. Incidentally, bugs and exploits also get introduced, so a bleeding-edge system isn't necessarily safer.

Yes. And yes, we all know new bugs get introduced but my point is it takes hackers time to find them. What's more likely: Finding a bug in code that was released yesterday or finding a bug in code that was released 3 months ago? In situation A hackers have had 24 hours to find exploits and in situation B the hacker has had 3 months. I don't think situations A & B are equally likely.

BTW if anyone is signed up for the Aug 19th Stanly Community College VMware class Jana told me yesterday that she'll be sending out class details in about a week.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KS posted:

I feel like I'm missing something completely obvious here. Is there no way to set a VLAN tag for an independent hardware iscsi adapter through the GUI? Even though you can set IP address and everything else?

So the verdict for a Qlogic CNA is that you apparently have to do it through their QConverge console, which requires a VIB install. You can't do it through the base driver and surprisingly, if there's a way to do it through the BIOS I couldn't find it.

Also, since we have such a wide variety of people who read these threads, if anyone works at Qlogic and knows the guy who programmed this:

with the increment/decrement buttons and no ability to type a VLAN number, give them a punch in the junk from me. There are 4096! What the gently caress.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

I would look into vSphere Standard, it has HA/vMotion/Storage vMotion/VUM/vDP/Ram and CPU hot add/Op's manager, or at the very least Essentials Plus. You are riding on 50K and Enterprise will take a big chunk of that right out if you get any kind of support.

For storage look for teiring, if you go with the MD3600i. Look into going with not by GB or TB size but IOPS, SSD chaching is a great way to leverage this but at the end of the day you'll be bottlenecked by what is on your backend.
Depending your size requirements you may want to look into something like this:

MD3220i
4x450GB 15k SAS RAID 0+1
5x600GB 10K SAS RAID 5
6x1TB 7.2k NL-SAS RAID 6
NOTE: You could also throw in some SSD's if you wanted to

Then carve out luna's based on the Drive array type, and set the appropriate VM on the lun according to to their IOP requests. Configured this comes out to ~12K MSRP for the dual controller setup, and Gig/E.

For switching I don't see why you should go with 10GB unless you know you are going to use it and currently fully saturating a gig network. Honestly you can get very far with 1Gb/s in a properly designed virtual environment, 10GB is great but costly. Personally I would look into 2 2960's or 2 3750's with a stacking cable, depending on your budget and VAR. Be sure to get at least 2 switches for redundancy.

For hosts, I would spec them according to what your environment needs, capacity planner is great for this. The R420's are good dual socket motherboards, you could easily get 3 dual socket 6c E5's @ 2.2Ghz, 64GB of ram, 6 1Gb/s network uplinks, for around 3K MSRP a pop, again you'll need to see what your host ram and cpu requirements are.

I can't vouch for Citrix's Server virtualization other than I am not a fan of it, their VDI delivery is good but they Hypervisor I am still ehh about.

Thanks for the help guys! I picked up a copy of VMware vSphere Design (2nd Ed) and it's been really helpful too. I've decided to go with:
vSphere Standard Acceleration Kit w/ Ops Management
3x Poweredge R520 with 2x6 cores and 96 GB each, plus a quad port Intel NIC, iDRAC Express
Powervault MD3220i with
8x 15K 300GB
16x 7.2K 1TB
2x Catalyst 2960S 24 ports with Flexstack modules
and I came in just shy of my $50K budget.

I still have a few questions. I have about $1000 left in my budget. Should I invest in a basic RAID 1 mirror for booting ESXi for the hosts? It will cost about $450 per host with the additional drive, basic H310 perc and chassis upgrade. They are also selling a Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter with a three server license for $212. Sounds neat but will I get much use out of it? I may have to cut some RAM to add either or both.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tequila25 posted:

Thanks for the help guys! I picked up a copy of VMware vSphere Design (2nd Ed) and it's been really helpful too. I've decided to go with:
vSphere Standard Acceleration Kit w/ Ops Management
3x Poweredge R520 with 2x6 cores and 96 GB each, plus a quad port Intel NIC, iDRAC Express
Powervault MD3220i with
8x 15K 300GB
16x 7.2K 1TB
2x Catalyst 2960S 24 ports with Flexstack modules
and I came in just shy of my $50K budget.

I still have a few questions. I have about $1000 left in my budget. Should I invest in a basic RAID 1 mirror for booting ESXi for the hosts? It will cost about $450 per host with the additional drive, basic H310 perc and chassis upgrade. They are also selling a Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter with a three server license for $212. Sounds neat but will I get much use out of it? I may have to cut some RAM to add either or both.

Nice!

I would use embedded flash Drives for your hosts, ESXi is less than a gig installed, and esxi runs out of ram so if you lose access to the flash drive the host will still churn till a powercycle.

The dell thing, could be good but vCenter does a pretty good job on reporting HW status. If it is like HP's you can live without it

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 7, 2013

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Nice!

I would use embedded flash Drives for your hosts, ESXi is less than a gig installed, and esxi runs out of ram so if you lose access to the flash drive the host will still churn till a powercycle.

The dell thing, could be good but vCenter does a pretty good job on reporting HW status. If it is like HP's you can live without it

I didn't even think about flash drives. Do you even need a hard drive in the host? I guess maybe for logs?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Keep your logs on the SAN, dell will do an internal 1gb sdcard for esxi as CF said, it's perfect for that. If you install the Dell customized esxi image, it'll give you all the hardware monitoring you need.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 7, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tequila25 posted:

I didn't even think about flash drives. Do you even need a hard drive in the host? I guess maybe for logs?

You can redirect where your host.d logs go fairly easily, vCenter will also collect a set of logs from your hosts and store them.

Also if you have spare cash, put it to some beefier UPS's or if you can hang on to it for those "OH poo poo FORGOT" after you set everything up and realize you need another windows license or something.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 7, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sanchez posted:

Keep your logs on the SAN, dell will do an internal 1gb sdcard for esxi as CF said, it's perfect for that. If you install the Dell customized esxi image, it'll give you all the hardware monitoring you need.

Yeah, we just purchased three R620s a few months ago that have redundant dual 2gb SD cards in them. We have no other drives in the servers at all. It's nice knowing that the only moving parts in the things are fans.

ESXi was super easy to install from Dell's images you can download off their site. I just loaded it up through the iDRAC remotely and installed away.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here using vCloud director to make labs for potential new hires on engineers and techs? I am thinking about implementing it with a view compenent to give remote access to potential new hires auto deploy a lab. My goal is to get this working tell me if it sounds stupid.

Example:

New engineer holds a promising applications, but as my place has learned half of them fail the phone interview which takes some of our engineers 30-45 minutes to go over and then report to the VP and Pres. My thought is to integrate this with vCloud director to provision a basic environment similar to what we look for, 2 Domain controllers, Exchange server, SQL server, running on nested ESXi to a NAS appliance. Have the vAPP loaded with PS scripts to build it how we want and have vCloud provision the servers. After it is provisioned,(this is the trickie thing) we will send said candidate a link to a view desktop that vCloud linked to the vAPP lab and provided access to the View gateway. We leave the Login open for X hours for canidate to complete the tasks, after which the user is kicked out and we run more PS scripts to gather if the settings and tasks were validly or invalidly completed. Followed by a follow up where we would ask questions on what was right/wrong on the environment.

Another use I could see for it is for test labs for current engineers, currently I am the "go to everything" for network, storage, vmware/hyper-v/citrix. My VP seems interested enough to ask me to get some prices down, but just wondering.

Does it sound reasonable? One of my seniors jabbed a joke at me about it so I am rethinking the idea I had.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Rackspace does something similar (fix a broken Linux box). I think the really tricky part would be isolating your interviewee poo poo from your real production/lab/test poo poo.

If you want to take a step further you could monetize and sell it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The isolation part is fairly easy I believe I have it down, just looking for a practicality.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Why involve View or vCD (unless they're part of the test)? It's unlikely you'd need more than 1 or 2 environments at a time, I'd just set it up with a jump box which has all the tools and has RDP open to the world, set the VMs for auto power on, shut the whole thing down and snapshot it. Then revert and boot it whenever you need it. If your security guys are willing you could even ask them for their IP ahead of time and lock RDP down to their IP instead of leaving it open.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it I'm is a cool idea for a practical test, but keep in mind phone interviews are just as much about checking to see if someone can talk the talks as well. Which as you know is important for MSPs or consultants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ragzilla posted:

Why involve View or vCD (unless they're part of the test)? It's unlikely you'd need more than 1 or 2 environments at a time, I'd just set it up with a jump box which has all the tools and has RDP open to the world, set the VMs for auto power on, shut the whole thing down and snapshot it. Then revert and boot it whenever you need it. If your security guys are willing you could even ask them for their IP ahead of time and lock RDP down to their IP instead of leaving it open.

I thought about the whole revert to snapshot thing, but it didn't work out in the complexity of how all in one this needs to be.

vCD to help automate the deployment of the environment whether it be a HelpDesk person to Tshoot desktops, Engineer to fix broken X, or other. It goes along with the Setup environments for internal engineers to work with who don't have the time to set up said envirnoment, IE someone who wants to learn exchange shouldn't have to go through setting up some DC's, Virtual Switching, etc, and all that when their focus should be setting and configuring Exchange.

View is For various things, it's a lot easier to sell something when the clients ave had a test drive on it. For the view we can various things, interview labs in a secured environment that can be completely disposed of after it is done, provide an insight to clients on VDI as well as Iaas/SaaS.

Internet Explorer posted:

I think it I'm is a cool idea for a practical test, but keep in mind phone interviews are just as much about checking to see if someone can talk the talks as well. Which as you know is important for MSPs or consultants.

It would be this process
1. Resume received.
2. Is it decent by HR standards? if yes go to step 3
3. Deploy lab based on relative skill set of applicant either helpdesk/engineer/architect/consultant/etc
4. Did PS scripts return a favorable amount of configuration? if yes move to step 5
5. Interview in regards to what was wrong/right, if perfect discuss further Technical insight
6. Return to HR with findings

We are a rapidly growing MSP(to some extent VAR) and are looking for talented people in the Tidewater area, the problem is so many people seem to be "I wrote my resume well but never touched SAN/VMware/SQL/*nix" but I said it on my resume!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 8, 2013