Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Has anyone taken the Transcender then followed up with one of the MS 70-*** exams?

The teacher in my class is stating that if you can pass the Transcender then you should be OK on the actual MS tests, in this case 70-642.

Just wondering how close the questions and answers are formatted. Im getting to 78% passing capability so far in my practices, shooting for more but wondering if a scenario is presented on the MS Test if I could use the Transcender as a frame of reference for that situation of whatever the question presents in addition to my over obsessive studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It's time for me to get off my rear end and find another job, i'm not getting the kinds of hands-on stuff with some of the infrastructure that I want. I really like working with virtualization and the back-end hardware infrastructure, so I'm thinking VCP 5.1 is the way to go for now.

Looking at the academic program spreadsheet i'm having a hard time finding one that provides an online class, let alone even listing it at all. Unfortunately I don't see any listed that are in my metropolitan area. Anyone have some suggestions on a place that would provide online, after-hours classes?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

devmd01 posted:

It's time for me to get off my rear end and find another job, i'm not getting the kinds of hands-on stuff with some of the infrastructure that I want. I really like working with virtualization and the back-end hardware infrastructure, so I'm thinking VCP 5.1 is the way to go for now.

Looking at the academic program spreadsheet i'm having a hard time finding one that provides an online class, let alone even listing it at all. Unfortunately I don't see any listed that are in my metropolitan area. Anyone have some suggestions on a place that would provide online, after-hours classes?

The online VCP stuff is EXPENSIVE. Like 2800 bucks expensive the last time I looked. Did you check the community colleges spreadsheet? I don't have a link to it offhand.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

devmd01 posted:

That spreadsheet is godawful. Check your local community college even if it isn't listed. Hell, mine is listed but it doesn't actually offer the course. I wound up finding an accredited online course for $180-something at stanly.edu. It's online-only and self-paced AFAICT but it's enough to qualify you to sit for your VCP. I don't expect the course to be terribly valuable as a sole learning aid, so I'm definitely poring over the books to pass this exam.

If you actually want a classroom to go sit in, that'll probably be much more expensive. I think the lowest I've seen for a classroom setting was $600-something at a community college that wasn't near me so I didn't bother with the details.

Anyway, a handful of us in the Virtualization thread are taking the Stanly.edu course this semester so we'll have more info once that's through. Classes start Aug 19 IIRC and I'm pretty excited.

So I need to knock out ROUTE by January while doing the VCP. This is going to be a.... hectic... autumn.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrBigglesworth posted:

Has anyone taken the Transcender then followed up with one of the MS 70-*** exams?

The teacher in my class is stating that if you can pass the Transcender then you should be OK on the actual MS tests, in this case 70-642.

Just wondering how close the questions and answers are formatted. Im getting to 78% passing capability so far in my practices, shooting for more but wondering if a scenario is presented on the MS Test if I could use the Transcender as a frame of reference for that situation of whatever the question presents in addition to my over obsessive studying.

In general the actual test is harder than most legit practice tests. I would be shooting for at least 85% if not 90% on a practice test.

I'm not familiar with the Transcender product, but my recollection of the 70-642 is a standard 55 question exam with multiple choice and drag and drop questions. If that's what you're seeing, it's pretty close to what you'll get. The 642 wasn't *that* bad of a test. The 643, and 647 are motherfuckers though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

In general the actual test is harder than most legit practice tests. I would be shooting for at least 85% if not 90% on a practice test.

I'm not familiar with the Transcender product, but my recollection of the 70-642 is a standard 55 question exam with multiple choice and drag and drop questions. If that's what you're seeing, it's pretty close to what you'll get. The 642 wasn't *that* bad of a test. The 643, and 647 are motherfuckers though.

I am sorry, but you didn't say 640 there. Your entire post is invalided.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I'm currently studying for 70-642. Latest practice test was 84%.

IPv6 is kicking my rear end though. The book really isn't clear on how to determine the prefix, or you have XYZ IPv6 address, what would the IP of the 4th subnet be. The explanations on the test answer on how to calculate just are not doing it for me.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I've been studying for a month now for the 70-680 with the materials WGU provided. Really had the book down, did all the labs,did well on the practice exams. Last week my mentor suggested I buy the Kaplan practice exams because they give you a better sense of what an MS exam is like, so I did. It was like a foreign loving language. Now I'm 2 weeks out from my test date and scrambling with a different book and different labs. I feel like the stuff WGU gave me was a basic primer for the subject matter, but missed about 90% of the important details. And I'm out of bourbon. :shepicide:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

I've been studying for a month now for the 70-680 with the materials WGU provided. Really had the book down, did all the labs,did well on the practice exams. Last week my mentor suggested I buy the Kaplan practice exams because they give you a better sense of what an MS exam is like, so I did. It was like a foreign loving language. Now I'm 2 weeks out from my test date and scrambling with a different book and different labs. I feel like the stuff WGU gave me was a basic primer for the subject matter, but missed about 90% of the important details. And I'm out of bourbon. :shepicide:

Why not reschedule the exam? I forget what Prometric's policies are but I think it's free to reschedule up until a certain date very close to the exam.

I haven't seen the Kaplan questions but if they're anything like how the actual MS exam questions are in comparison to Sybex and ExamPrep books, then "foreign loving language" is as correct as it gets when one describes MS tests.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MJP posted:

Why not reschedule the exam? I forget what Prometric's policies are but I think it's free to reschedule up until a certain date very close to the exam.

I haven't seen the Kaplan questions but if they're anything like how the actual MS exam questions are in comparison to Sybex and ExamPrep books, then "foreign loving language" is as correct as it gets when one describes MS tests.

The reschedule date has to be less than 2 weeks out I believe. This was a recent change due to people rescheduling tests too much.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Does anyone have any IPv6 resources, specifically to determine your subnets? The book doesnt touch on how to do this at all, yet the Transcender has at least 3 questions on it such as "You have this IPv6 address, you need 6 subnets, what is the IPv6 of subnet number 4."

My google abilities are pulling up huge white papers from IBM and crap. I just want a breakdown with a few worksheet examples to work through.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MJP posted:

my registration confirmation email from last week posted:

What if I need to cancel or reschedule my exam?

Requests to cancel or reschedule must be made one full business day in advance of your scheduled appointment, by 6:00 PM Eastern Time. If you cancel your appointment prior to the deadline, you will be eligible for a refund, along with a charge for any applicable fees. Cancellations made with less than one full day's notice will not be granted and you will forfeit the testing fee.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

MJP posted:

My term ends at the end of the month so I have to take it and pass or I fail the course.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Microsoft/Pages/reschedulecancellation-faqs.aspx

Microsoft tests have been this way for a

https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Microsoft/Pages/reschedulecancellation-faqs.aspx

Looks like it will cost.

I have attempted to reschedule Microsoft tests lately and run into this. Microsoft exams have a pretty long allowed time. Maybe this ends up coating money in left open spots in the past.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Is anyone else doing their CCIE Lab studying? I am curious to see what set up everyone else is using and what training partner they are working with for their studying. I'm still working on technology specific practice labs, but I am planning to do my first 8 hour test in a couple of weeks. My back is already aching thinking about doing this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Just out of curiosity, how much have you spent on your CCIE prep work so far?

workape
Jul 23, 2002

psydude posted:

Written was on and off for a couple months putting things like MPLS and Multicast, which I had literally no prior experience with, into my head. Oddly enough the written was in my opinion a bit ridiculous, the questions were either a little above CCNP level or insane errata that you stare at for a minute and ask yourself what the person writing the test was thinking. I kept feeling like there should have been an answer E. Let me Google that for you shithead.

Since then I've been taking my time and building a single technology a week starting with foundation (Switching, Frame Relay) and layering tech on top of it and then tickling it to make it interact. I've put in a couple of months into Lab but having just switched jobs I've found my time is switched up some. But with the new job I've been applying what I am learning directly. Designed and built a multicast network from scratch for customer. It was pretty awesome to bring that online and then watch the mroute table start populating with traffic. I'll likely be making my lab attempt this fall/winter if not before.

I've got a lab set up here at the office, but I've been doing most of my routing work in GNS3 on my laptop while at home since I can sit comfortably anywhere in the house and not have to worry about Wireless/VPN connectivity.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

forgot I had my CCENT exam this morning until I woke up, hadn't studied for a month but still managed to scrape a 854 pass.

Whew.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

workape posted:

Written was on and off for a couple months putting things like MPLS and Multicast, which I had literally no prior experience with, into my head. Oddly enough the written was in my opinion a bit ridiculous, the questions were either a little above CCNP level or insane errata that you stare at for a minute and ask yourself what the person writing the test was thinking. I kept feeling like there should have been an answer E. Let me Google that for you shithead.

Since then I've been taking my time and building a single technology a week starting with foundation (Switching, Frame Relay) and layering tech on top of it and then tickling it to make it interact. I've put in a couple of months into Lab but having just switched jobs I've found my time is switched up some. But with the new job I've been applying what I am learning directly. Designed and built a multicast network from scratch for customer. It was pretty awesome to bring that online and then watch the mroute table start populating with traffic. I'll likely be making my lab attempt this fall/winter if not before.

I've got a lab set up here at the office, but I've been doing most of my routing work in GNS3 on my laptop while at home since I can sit comfortably anywhere in the house and not have to worry about Wireless/VPN connectivity.

It's crazy how the CCNP R&S doesn't deal with multicast routing at all, and then you're suddenly expected to know it for the CCIE R&S.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

psydude posted:

It's crazy how the CCNP R&S doesn't deal with multicast routing at all, and then you're suddenly expected to know it for the CCIE R&S.

It's more crazy in that I built it up as a boogey man in my head and then actually doing it I felt like an idiot. I continually said, "Wait, that's it? Jesus Christ!" while working on getting it set up in the lab pre-deployment. Auto-RP is ridiculously easy, BSR is goofy as poo poo and setting static RP's is simple. It's understanding the underlying technologies and knowing when you should pick which technology is what makes it so much loving fun. Now configuring the multicast interaction with MPLS...more fun! Actually just about everything around MPLS is fun, getting more comfortable with it. It still seems like loving magic though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No matter how much I learn about it and do it, on some level networking still seems like magic to me. You plug a bunch of things into a box and they can all talk to each other using electricity and lasers and poo poo. How loving cool is that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psydude posted:

No matter how much I learn about it and do it, on some level networking still seems like magic to me. You plug a bunch of things into a box and they can all talk to each other using electricity and lasers and poo poo. How loving cool is that?

I found that it gets so much more impressive when you know what is happening behind the scenes. The way I imagined it working before I learned networking doesn't even hold a candle to how awesome this stuff can actually be :3:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Any word on some of that sweet sweet IPv6 loving that I inquired about above? I can't find poo poo for mapping this out and determining what I need. These transcender explanations are loving alien.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

MrBigglesworth posted:

Any word on some of that sweet sweet IPv6 loving that I inquired about above? I can't find poo poo for mapping this out and determining what I need. These transcender explanations are loving alien.
I only have a background in IPv4 subnetting and I found this article and the comments a very readable introduction to work through:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17232

Hopefully someone will correct me if I understood it wrong, but my takeaway was that it's fundamentally no different than subnetting with IPv4 except
-Good practice is to leave the last 64 bits for hosts
-The first 48 bits at a minimum will likely be determined by a provider.
-For the sake of readability and sanity, it's good to subnet the assigned address space along hex digit boundaries (4-bit "nibbles", so you'll have prefixes that are multiples of 4).

As with IPv4 your bits available for subnetting will be between however many are determined by the ISP and those last 64 bits reserved for hosts.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Right, my problem is that the book I have doesnt say poo poo about this, but there are at least 3 to 4 questions on the practice test that says you have this IPv6, what is the subnet of network 4, or what is the orginal prefix based on this OTHER IPv6 number.

The book says poo poo about it.

I know for this you do work with the first half of the address. 64 bits, 48 of which assigned by ARIN/ISPs what have you leaving 16 bits to work with. The part I am having problems with is where it says "your subnets are determined" The gently caress they are, the test question doesnt say gently caress all about it them. Its just saying find x when you have only y to work with, oh, z would be helpful, but gently caress you for thinking you would want useful information.

Anyway to the above, if you have a /53 you would take 53-48 leaving 5. Then take that result minus the original 16 bits so you have 11. 2 the power of 11 is 2048, and I've gone cross eyed.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Remy Marathe posted:

Hopefully someone will correct me if I understood it wrong, but my takeaway was that it's fundamentally no different than subnetting with IPv4 except
-Good practice is to leave the last 64 bits for hosts
-The first 48 bits at a minimum will likely be determined by a provider.
-For the sake of readability and sanity, it's good to subnet the assigned address space along hex digit boundaries (4-bit "nibbles", so you'll have prefixes that are multiples of 4).

As with IPv4 your bits available for subnetting will be between however many are determined by the ISP and those last 64 bits reserved for hosts.

• Each group of 2 bytes is a 16-bit word.
  • The first two words are the ISP's delegation. ARIN gives providers a /32 per area by default, and we're told to give out /48 networks to our customers.
  • The next word is your address under the ISP. ARIN also suggests that providers allocate an entire /48 to each customer site. Since a /32 has 16-bits worth of /48's that's 32,768 possible /48 subnets.
  • The fourth word would be your subnet subdivision numbering scheme, however you feel like dividing your /48 up.

Does that help?

Remy Marathe posted:

I think you meant groups of 4 hex characters/nibbles per 16-bit word, groups of 4 bytes would be 32 bits.

Yup you're right. I thought I had re-read it twice for mistakes, and still dropped one in there.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 7, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I think you meant groups of 4 hex characters/nibbles per 16-bit word, groups of 4 bytes would be 32 bits. But yeah, I'm pretty sure I actually understood that cisco article unless I said something incorrect up there. Mr. Bigglesworth is describing issues with word problems that apparently lack enough information to answer, but it's hard to understand what exactly was being asked.

I did notice one commenter at the end of the Cisco article mentioned having been assigned a /56 from his ISP, so I wonder if it's safe to assume a full 16 bits to subnet with on a test.
edit- It looks like IETF RFC 6177 obsoleted the practice of blindly assigning /48's to every end site, though ARIN's site still references RFC 3177.

Mr. Bigglesworth- could you recreate a problem like the ones you're dealing with? Maybe people here know of some assumptions that fill in your "Z".

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 6, 2013

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyway to the above, if you have a /53 you would take 53-48 leaving 5. Then take that result minus the original 16 bits so you have 11. 2 the power of 11 is 2048, and I've gone cross eyed.

No one in their right mind is going to subnet IPv6 with a /53. If your ISP gives you a /48 prefix (common), you will almost always use 16 subnet bits, giving you a /64 and you can use EUI-64/SLAAC/Stateful DHCP to derive your least significant 64 bits for the interface ID. If, for some reason they give you a /53 on the test, you can easily work it out if you know how to maneuver with hex conversions (which you want to know for stupid multicast poo poo!).

Take a prefix FE80:234D:69F1:4100::/53. If you're subnetting with that and your ISP gave you a /48, then your site prefix is FE80:234D:69F1::/48 and you have 5 bits to subnet with. That gives you 32 possible subnets with permutations belonging to the most significant bits not included in your site prefix. Count up to the 4th network and tada, that is the answer you're looking for. If you give an actual example question, we can probably walk you through it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I'll print them out tomorrow and uplaload the examples to show what I'm seeing. Will be much faster that way.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer here (decide for your drat self), but my boss got back to me today about paying for me to take the CCNA. He said he'd make the case to management if that's what I really want, but our company uses almost no Cisco gear. We're into Force 10, Juniper and F5. Basically "if you want a resume builder and general network knowledge, sure, get the CCNA. If you want to study poo poo that will let you contribute right off the bat to the network team here, think about the JNCIA/JNCIS". I'm a sysadmin but networking is both interesting and kind of a blind spot to me in IT so I'd like to study something. Boss' background is as a CCNP-level network engineer so he knows at least the Cisco cert track well.

Are the Juniper certs at all valuable? I like my job and have no plans to leave, but if I have to choose between a bullshit but company-relevant cert and a great but semi-tangential one I'll take the great one. If the company goes under/sells/whatever I'd rather walk away with a CCNA but that's just my gut feeling. If there's a half decent market for Juniper certified folks I'm not opposed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd assume the JNCIA is the exact same thing as the CCNA. I wonder what the actual differences are aside from command-line syntax.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Tab8715 posted:

I'd assume the JNCIA is the exact same thing as the CCNA. I wonder what the actual differences are aside from command-line syntax.

JNCIA doesn't have any switching in it and is slightly easier than the CCNA.The juniper track its less well known to HR, but it's still a good program that can go quite deep.
Maybe suggest a ccna as basis, then do the juniper certs in the specialisation and up to the level that you want.
The reason I suggest it, is because the ccna is a good basis and there is good overlap with JNCIA. And it never hurts to see two different sides to the story.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Juniper has changed up their certification system significantly.

The only JNCIA for switch/route is the JNCIA-Junos, which is more about Junos and less about switching/routing. The real learning happens with the JNCIS, which is a tough test (probably between CCNA/CCNP).

There used to be a JNCIA for switch/route (JNCIA-ER) but that no longer exists.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/e_track.html

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
OK, here are the 3 questions, in ...uh...question.

Linked as I dont want to break tables.

https://yyylsw.bay.livefilestore.co...ber1.JPG?psid=1

https://0sylsw.bay.livefilestore.co...ber2.JPG?psid=1

https://yiylsw.bay.livefilestore.co...ber3.JPG?psid=1

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

1. How many bits do the subnets have in common. 51. The 8 provided subnets are all defined over the next 3 bits after that, though that's not part of the question.

2. Your global prefix is 52 bits and you've carved out 4 /55 subnets already; how many /55s are left.

3. You have a /51. You want to assign 4 /53s from it. The first one will have 00 for bits 52 amd 53, the second will have 01, the third will have 10, the fourth will have ____ (what bit value is left). Now put the fourth subnets bits together with the prefix to form a complete address.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

keseph posted:

1. How many bits do the subnets have in common. 51. The 8 provided subnets are all defined over the next 3 bits after that, though that's not part of the question.

2. Your global prefix is 52 bits and you've carved out 4 /55 subnets already; how many /55s are left.

3. You have a /51. You want to assign 4 /53s from it. The first one will have 00 for bits 52 amd 53, the second will have 01, the third will have 10, the fourth will have ____ (what bit value is left). Now put the fourth subnets bits together with the prefix to form a complete address.

See, what you are putting out here to me is just gibberish. My head can't wrap around it. I don't know what my mental block is. It reminds me of when I tried doing subnetting on IPv4 and after a while, things just clicked and I have no trouble with that. I guess it's the pressure of pass/fail of the course building up with all of the other stuff in the course that has to be memorized. I just dont want to do awesome on all parts of the test then get a poo poo ton of IPv6 and I gently caress up every one.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

See, what you are putting out here to me is just gibberish. My head can't wrap around it. I don't know what my mental block is. It reminds me of when I tried doing subnetting on IPv4 and after a while, things just clicked and I have no trouble with that. I guess it's the pressure of pass/fail of the course building up with all of the other stuff in the course that has to be memorized. I just dont want to do awesome on all parts of the test then get a poo poo ton of IPv6 and I gently caress up every one.

Let me take a shot at describing the first one. FORGET that /48 is a standard or recommended allotment. An enterprise, site or local administrator could potentially be given a smaller block to work with, maybe further subnetting a subnet.

They want to know what block you were given to work with here, which would be the bits that do not change across your subnets.

3FFE:FFFF:0:C000:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:C400:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:C800:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:CC00:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:D000:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:D400:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:D800:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:DC00:: /54

1. Look at the most significant nibble that changes (the one furthest left)- You see that C becomes a D. Everything left of that (48 bits) is clearly part of your network prefix. But is there more? To tell where the network prefix ends, you need to know the leftmost bit that doesn't change.

2. Consider this nibble's actual bits in binary as it changes:
C = 1100 (8+4)
D = 1101 (8+4+1)

3. Notice how the first three bits don't change across subnets either. These three are then also part of your network prefix; those 3 + the other 48 that obviously match (3FFE:FFFF:0) =51. All your subnets are identical through the 51st bit.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Edit: I was overthinking #2. For starters, they appear to assume you are NOT employing VLSM for these. So if your network portion is /52, and the subnetted address you know is /55, that means three bits are being devoted to subnet addresses. 3 bits allows for 8 subnets, and the previous admin has already assigned 4 of them. That leaves 4 more.

Third problem went like this:

1) Let's look at what they give us for a network prefix: 3FFA:FF2B:004D:C000 /51

Since /51 is not a multiple of 4, we already know the division's going to be in the middle of a nibble, so it might be easiest to break it down into bits.

Below: Numbers between [ ] are in binary instead of hex, the tilde denotes the end of /51, where the network prefix ends and your portion to dick with begins.
pre:
                   C      0    0    0
3FFA:FF2B:004D:[110 ~ 0  0000 0000 0000] 
2) Per the problem, there are 4 departments you want to give one subnet each to. You need 4 subnets. You already know this part: 4 subnets requires 2 bits, and in binary will go like:
00= First Subnet
01= Second
10= Third
11= Fourth

You need to dig 2 bits deeper than the network address to subnet it four ways, therefore your subnet prefixes will be /53.

3) So for the fourth subnet, make those next two bits after the network portion '11'
pre:
                   D      8    0    0
3FFA:FF2B:004D:[110 ~ 1  1000 0000 0000] 
Notice now, that first '1' made the first nibble into a 'D', and on the next nibble, binary "1000" = 8

Therefore the fourth subnet is 3FFA:FF2B:004D:D800 /53

I don't know how anyone can do this poo poo without scratch paper honestly. But after doing it longhand, I can see that as soon as you know how that first nibble is split, you know it will only ever be a 'C' or 'D'. That rules out answers 2 & 3. Answer 4 is the same as the network address with a longer mask, so that's guaranteed to be the first subnet and therefore not the 4th. So really you could answer the question before fully solving it by elimination.

But whenever I get confused by shortcuts like that, I return to the bit level.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 7, 2013

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

workape posted:

Is anyone else doing their CCIE Lab studying? I am curious to see what set up everyone else is using and what training partner they are working with for their studying. I'm still working on technology specific practice labs, but I am planning to do my first 8 hour test in a couple of weeks. My back is already aching thinking about doing this.

I wish I was that close, I am just getting back to refreshing my foundation.

psydude posted:

I really don't want to think about how much I have spent over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Tasty Wheat posted:

I wish I was that close, I am just getting back to refreshing my foundation.

I read this as "smashing my face into a brickwall repeatedly" since I remember stuffing private VLAN's and VACL's back into my head.