Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The first song off of the new Mis Sig is absolutely amazing. One of the best little pieces of music I've ever heard.

The rest of the album is decent but unfortunately all blends together too much and sounds the same. Kinda boring. Oh well.

Acacia Strain, Within the Ruins, American Me, Xibalba, Fit For an Autopsy on tour and playing NYC on 9/15 oh loving hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The new Counterparts album is out (officially) and it owns all the bones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

The first song off of the new Mis Sig is absolutely amazing. One of the best little pieces of music I've ever heard.

The rest of the album is decent but unfortunately all blends together too much and sounds the same. Kinda boring. Oh well.

Acacia Strain, Within the Ruins, American Me, Xibalba, Fit For an Autopsy on tour and playing NYC on 9/15 oh loving hell yes.

Strain are coming out to Long Island in late October :getin:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Strain are coming out to Long Island in late October :getin:

Yeah my friend told me about that. I'm definitely gonna be there. They're also playing in Columbus, OH where I have friends so I'm going to try and make it there as well. Favorite band I love seeing them as much as I possibly can.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Unearth were awesome, they played a one-off and said they'll have a new album out in January or February. Dillinger are up next, after the most painful two hours of prog mallcore and technical nu-metal.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zodijackylite posted:

Unearth were awesome, they played a one-off and said they'll have a new album out in January or February. Dillinger are up next, after the most painful two hours of prog mallcore and technical nu-metal.

drat, I thought the new Unearth album was due out in the fall. Been looking forward to it.

The new Chimaira is pretty drat good. Impressive, since vocalist Mark Hunter is the only original member left in the band. Guess it was him driving the sound of the bad all along. I knew it was mainly him and ex guitarist Rob Arnold who wrote most of the stuff, but I guess it was more Mark than Rob.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I think I've come to the conclusion, for the time being, that the new Misery Signals is really good. It's not the earth-shattering experience that I was hoping for, but it's still really good.

I really hope they don't take another five years in-between albums this time though :ohdear:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I don't like it as much as Controller but yeah it is really solid.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Wamsutta posted:

I don't like it as much as Controller but yeah it is really solid.

Same here. Not really getting the love for it. Aside from the first track, nothing really stands out for me. There's definitely no Weight of the World here...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nomapple posted:

Same here. Not really getting the love for it. Aside from the first track, nothing really stands out for me. There's definitely no Weight of the World here...

That's funny, I think that Weight of the World is easily the worst song on Controller.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Absent Light definitely isn't as balls to the wall metal as Controller. Some people might not like that, and I can see why. Personally I kinda thought this was the direction they were gonna take so it didn't really surprise me.

Karl's solo project from last year kinda tipped everyone off and what direction Absent Light would ultimately head in, I think. It pretty much just sounds like the bridge between Controller and Absent Light, musically.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 6, 2013

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I dont know if this is even the right thread for it, because I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but has anyone attended any Summer Slaughter shows this year? I'll be traveling down to NYC tomorrow for the show at the Bestbuy Theater, and I'm pretty loving psyched. Where else could I possibly see Cattle Decapitation, The Ocean, Norma Jean, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, and DEP at the same show? I'm most psyched for Cattle Decap and Periphery, but hoping the $35 I spent gives me a good experience.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

railroad terror posted:

I dont know if this is even the right thread for it, because I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but has anyone attended any Summer Slaughter shows this year? I'll be traveling down to NYC tomorrow for the show at the Bestbuy Theater, and I'm pretty loving psyched. Where else could I possibly see Cattle Decapitation, The Ocean, Norma Jean, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, and DEP at the same show? I'm most psyched for Cattle Decap and Periphery, but hoping the $35 I spent gives me a good experience.

I think with that lineup, you'll definitely get your $35 worth. I mean hell, DEP, Animals as Leaders, and Periphery alone would make me spend $35 easily.

Also, Best Buy theater is a really nice venue. I've see a few shows there.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I saw the tour in Worcester a few days ago. Since it's a long drive we didn't catch the whole day.

The Ocean: Atmospheric, which doesn't really work in the Palladium. Interesting to watch but perhaps ill-suited to the venue.

Cattle Decapitation: Competition drumming with accompaniment. Perhaps the most flaccid performance of the night, while I'm into more death metal than hardcore, they were boring and unengaging.

Unearth: Killed it - worked the crowd really well, which probably isn't hard for a hometown show, played sharp, and despite the poor acoustics/sound, they managed to highlight the transitions, perhaps by having their sound guy boost the sound a bit during breakdowns, but they weren't a blur like the later bands. Hell of a show as always.

Periphery: With the bass/mid heavy sound of the place, all of their boring chugging sounded like prog mallcore. Not good at highlighting the difference between sections, slightly slurred transitions, and just a poor, inexperienced live act in general. Very little interaction with the crowd and they seemed like, despite having six guys on the stage, none of them brought any energy to it.

Animals as Leaders: What this night really needed between a high energy hometown show from one of the best metalcore bands, and the reckless onslaught of DEP, was some jazz fusion/technical nu-metal played by a couple guys who collectively have less stage presence than John Myung. They were about as engaging as watching a YouTube video in a movie theater. Absolutely no crowd interaction, made worse by their extended breaks to tune their eight-string guitars. I used these breaks to heckle them. They went over their alloted time, which meant no encore for Dillinger.

Dillinger Escape Plan: Amazing. I must say, Greg did a great job of getting the crowd into it, or getting into the crowd.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I guess a lot of people probably hate them but there is a new Iwrestledabearonce album out and its really good. They seem to have written stuff which the new singer can do more justice to than some of the old stuff which doesn't seem to work so well with her voice.

It is streamable here - http://loudwire.com/iwrestledabearonce-late-for-nothing-exclusive-album-stream/

Zodijackylite posted:

I saw the tour in Worcester a few days ago. Since it's a long drive we didn't catch the whole day.

Periphery: With the bass/mid heavy sound of the place, all of their boring chugging sounded like prog mallcore. Not good at highlighting the difference between sections, slightly slurred transitions, and just a poor, inexperienced live act in general. Very little interaction with the crowd and they seemed like, despite having six guys on the stage, none of them brought any energy to it.

I've seen Periphery twice. The first time they were really talkative to the crowd and were cracking jokes and having fun and were really good despite (I think) being one member down and playing a really short set. I'd never really heard them before and it made me get their CD's and become a fan. Then I saw them a second time and they just churned them out without talking to the crowd which was a bit boring.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
new IWABO is absolutely terrible, and I liked that band. if you want something in that kind of silly deathcore realm, just listen to the new Arsonists get all the girls, instead. it's not Evanescence-core and its just really good. reminds me of Hits from the Bow

https://www.arsonistsgetallthegirls.bandcamp.com/

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

the Bunt posted:

new IWABO is absolutely terrible, and I liked that band. if you want something in that kind of silly deathcore realm, just listen to the new Arsonists get all the girls, instead. it's not Evanescence-core and its just really good. reminds me of Hits from the Bow

Listen to the Color is a really fun listen, Ride the Wave made the album for me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

the Bunt posted:

It just sounds like Hits because the original singers back.

Ride the wave and Living Color are awesome tracks, but the rest is kind of boring. I was kind of disappointed, as Hits from the Bow and Portals are two of my favorite albums.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Zodijackylite posted:

The Ocean: Atmospheric, which doesn't really work in the Palladium. Interesting to watch but perhaps ill-suited to the venue.

Cattle Decapitation: Competition drumming with accompaniment. Perhaps the most flaccid performance of the night, while I'm into more death metal than hardcore, they were boring and unengaging.

Unearth: Killed it - worked the crowd really well, which probably isn't hard for a hometown show, played sharp, and despite the poor acoustics/sound, they managed to highlight the transitions, perhaps by having their sound guy boost the sound a bit during breakdowns, but they weren't a blur like the later bands. Hell of a show as always.

I was at that Worcester show too, pretty much perfectly captured my thoughts on these bands. Overall I was a little let down by Summer Slaughter this year, there felt like there was something missing from the crowd. On the other hand, the South of the Border tour was loving fantastic. Within the Ruins and Obey the Brave tore the place down, and all the other bands put on great shows as well.

Also that Animals as Leaders review is loving hilarious. I like Animals as Leaders but I cannot for the life of me get excited to see them live. You see em once and pretty much know what to expect for every single future show, the energy usually dampens significantly during sets, it can be a mood killer sometimes.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Should I hate myself for liking Enter Shikari, because their first disk I can't stop listening to.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bo_chrud posted:

Should I hate myself for liking Enter Shikari, because their first disk I can't stop listening to.

I think their older stuff generally gets a pass among -core fans because they were legitimately one of the first ones fooling around with combining electronic sounds and metalcore together. I remember listening to some of their early stuff around 2006 - I can't remember anyone else that sounded like them at the time.

Are you referring to Mothership? Because that album owns pretty hard. The other ones kinda suck though :(

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 16, 2013

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I their older stuff generally gets a pass among -core fans because they were legitimately one of the first ones fooling around with combining electronic sounds and metalcore together. I remember listening to some of their early stuff around 2006 - I can't remember anyone else that sounded like them at the time.

Are you referring to Mothership? Because that album owns pretty hard. The other ones kinda suck though :(

Yes, the lyrics on that album have roots of darkness in them and some of the riffs are pretty killer.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Also, I didn't see this posted but Trivium is starting to show people some of their new tunes. So far, they kinda suck.

http://www.theprp.com/2013/07/31/news/trivium-offer-free-download-of-new-track-brave-this-storm/

That song is incredibly bad. I really hope this isn't how the rest of the album sounds, because holy poo poo this might be the album where I decide to just ignore anything Trivium puts out afterwards if it does.

I would loving kill for them to put out something that was as good as Shogun again. That album is so loving good.

New Counterparts is...disappointing. It seems like they really haven't done anything in three albums now. It's not a bad, it just sounds exactly like everything else they've done.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 16, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So I figured I would post this here -- my brother has two tickets to Phil Anselmo and The Illegals tonight and doesn't want to go. They were $32 each fees included (he was given them). The show is at Best Buy Theater in NYC. If anyone wants to come to Williamsburg and pick them up they can be yours for $40 total.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bo_chrud posted:

gently caress the haters, I'd rank them in my top 5 favorite bands. Something about them really works for me.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

XIII posted:

gently caress the haters, I'd rank them in my top 5 favorite bands. Something about them really works for me.

Just wondering, but who's in the rest of your top 5?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bo_chrud posted:

Just wondering, but who's in the rest of your top 5?

If we're keeping it semi within the genre, I'd say (in no particular order):

Every Time I Die
Converge
letlive.
Parkway Drive

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Also, I didn't see this posted but Trivium is starting to show people some of their new tunes. So far, they kinda suck.

http://www.theprp.com/2013/07/31/news/trivium-offer-free-download-of-new-track-brave-this-storm/

That song is incredibly bad. I really hope this isn't how the rest of the album sounds, because holy poo poo this might be the album where I decide to just ignore anything Trivium puts out afterwards if it does.

I would loving kill for them to put out something that was as good as Shogun again. That album is so loving good.

New Counterparts is...disappointing. It seems like they really haven't done anything in three albums now. It's not a bad, it just sounds exactly like everything else they've done.
You're just now realizing that Trivium suck?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Henchman of Santa posted:

You're just now realizing that Trivium suck?

Shogun is so good. I just want to believe again :negative:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, The Chariot is breaking up. Gonna go listen through their albums now...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

War from a Harlots Mouth are going on "indefinite hiatus" as well. They don't rule out coming back eventually.

Seems like a lot of bands step back and look at themselves when they reach the 7-10 year mark and kinda go "Ok, can we realistically do this for the rest of our lives or should we try and come up with a fallback plan now" which I guess I can't blame them for.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

XIII posted:

Came here to see if anyone had posted about this yet. Please go see The Chariot on their farewell tour if you can, their live show is something really special.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I posted about it in the punk/hardcore thread and...I disagree. I never understood their popularity.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Chariot are breaking up. I'm sure a lot of you will be upset, but frankly I'm happy that they won't be touring with any bands I like any more (besides Birds in Row on their farewell tour). Their performance at BLED Fest a couple of years ago was the embodiment of everything I hate about the hardcore scene. Just douchebags throwing punches everywhere, including at security, and nearly breaking a bunch of stage equipment to the tune of some utterly unremarkable music.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Doc Coyle left God Forbid, citing a few reasons:

quote:

Let’s first remove the elephant from the room, and explain why I am leaving. I don’t want to leave the band, but there are elements of disorganization and unprofessionalism within the group that have made it impossible to be an effectively active band. I don’t feel like I’m being treated in a way that meets my standards, so I have to remove myself from the equation. I’m not going into great detail because I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus. I still love all the guys in God Forbid. They will always be my family even if there isn’t a working band. But just because you love your family doesn’t mean you can work with them in a professional sense.

quote:

When Dallas quit, I became emboldened to carry on in spite of him. I wanted to prove that we didn’t need him. And carry on we did as God Forbid had 3 of the biggest tours we ever had all booked in a row with Kris Norris filling in on a massive tour with Lamb of God, and than Matt Wicklund finally coming in to finish a festival run in Europe and than Mayhem Fest in the states. I never really dealt with Dallas leaving on an emotional level, because we were steadily on the road. I was so angry with him. He was pretty much by my side for my entire life either on stage, binge watching movies, drawing comics, playing basketball, playing guitar together or living in the bedroom next to mine in the same house. Than just like that…..he was gone.

Things began to unravel on the Mayhem Fest 2009. The band was financially and logistically unprepared for the tour with very little label support because we were at the end of our contract with Century Media despite the efforts of A&R at the time, the eager and helpful Ray Harkins. We ended up splitting with our manager at the beginning of the tour because of the shitstorm of unpreparedness. Plus I could just tell, we weren’t connecting with fans the same way we had, say at Ozzfest 5 years prior. The tour featured a lot of death metal, Behemoth, Job For a Cowboy, Black Dahlia Murder. There just seemed to be a turning of the tide, and as an artist you have to be aware of how the world is perceiving you. For some reason, whatever we were doing was not breaking through to the populous the same way.

quote:

But playing with the guys, and writing with Matt Wicklund in particular, really inspired me and helped me get out of my funk. I continued with the Equilibrium album out of loyalty to the guys, and I believe in finishing things I start, and that included doing some touring as well. All in all, I don’t regret it because I think it’s a fantastic album, if not our best album.

Unfortunately, touring with the band last year proved to be unsustainable from a financial survival standpoint. I was homeless, in debt and needed to figure something out, because this lifestyle I was living was not working. The last few years are the first time in my life I’ve really thought about what I wanted to do outside of God Forbid.

Those are pretty much the most important parts of his post. Sucks.

http://www.doccoyle.net/?p=235

E: welp, drummer Corey Pierce just tweeted "God Forbid is done. Sorry."

gently caress man :( one of my favorite bands....

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 17, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Shogun is so good. I just want to believe again :negative:

I haven't really paid attention to the band since Shogun, which I did enjoy, but that song makes In Waves sound good... Guess I will be skipping this album as well.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I loving love Trivium, even In Waves, but that song loving sucks. I'm blaming David Draiman.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Another new Trivium song: http://alturl.com/3dons

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Only 2 songs in but so far I'm a big fan of the new Born of Osiris, streaming here :rock:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kumbamontu posted:

Only 2 songs in but so far I'm a big fan of the new Born of Osiris, streaming here :rock:

Yeah, this album is really good. I liked "The Discovery" too, but one of my main complaints about that one was a lot of the songs sounded alike.

This one really takes care of that problem though. The amount of crazy intros and choruses and melodies in each song is... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I got pretty into Vanna lately, how do you guys feel about their progression through the various lineup changes?