Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any persistence between campaigns or are they all strictly separate?

All separate except for research, political support, and cards carrying over. Might be worth it to wait a bit on a chapter to finish some if there's some you still want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any persistence between campaigns or are they all strictly separate?

You mean the Story Campaign, I take it. After you finish an act/chapter, you keep any cards, unspent gold and unspent research points from the previous act. You don't get the same gold/research income from owning the previous chapter's territory, nor do you keep your units. You have to start out fresh.

ParanoidInc posted:

All separate except for research, political support, and cards carrying over. Might be worth it to wait a bit on a chapter to finish some if there's some you still want.

Don't wait too long, there's an anti-farming mechanism in place to keep you from sitting at the end of a chapter farming gold/RP.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe
^ Thanks, I was just about to farm Chapter 2 for a bit. Good timing.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Her first impression is the roughest. The great part is that despite her abrasiveness, she does raise very good points, and I found myself agreeing with her positions most of the time - up until she wanted me to sack half the male officers and replace them with female officers because the male officers were not doing a good enough job keeping their troops in line and not raping so many women.. I declined her request, insisting on having officers on the basis of merit, not a flat gender quota. She didn't take it well.

Wait so you don't consider keeping their troops in line and not raping so many women as merit?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Of all the princesses, which do you guys who've finished the campaign think has the most interesting storyline? Right now, I'm stuck deciding between the lizards' princess (law vs. compassion) and the undead one's quest to become A Real Girl™. That said, I might also go for the dwarven one, because as someone who's played Mass Effect 2 9 times, I think I'm qualified to handle daddy issues :v:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is this still coming to consoles? I can't find anything saying it was cancelled but nowhere has release dates either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Of all the princesses, which do you guys who've finished the campaign think has the most interesting storyline? Right now, I'm stuck deciding between the lizards' princess (law vs. compassion) and the undead one's quest to become A Real Girl™. That said, I might also go for the dwarven one, because as someone who's played Mass Effect 2 9 times, I think I'm qualified to handle daddy issues :v:

Doesn't the undead one require you to sew her a new body out of a whole bunch of other women?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is it me or is the basic infantry unit voiced by Vernon Roche?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I didn't see a response when the last person asked. Anyone know what's going on with the eastern dragon unlockable skins from way the heck back when? We put our email address in a year ago and there's still no mention of anything like it in the Larian Vault or in my email messages.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Yarrington posted:

Wait so you don't consider keeping their troops in line and not raping so many women as merit?

Of course it is. For context the previous decision I made was to allow her to execute soldiers who commit rape. This had the effect of reducing the size of my forces on the strategy map.

The impression I got from THIS decision was that she was simply going to indiscriminately fire half the male officers just for being men, and replace them with women who may not actually be qualified. It's a bit hard to explain, but the dialogue options for the main character are written very well. Every decision you have to make, either option sounds pretty reasonable - even the option to NOT execute rapist soldiers.

Commissar, I can't really judge which princess is the best fro only doing one storyline. All I can tell you is that Aida is quite charming.

Nemesis of Moles - no plans to get this to consoles at this time. I think RTS's are rather finicky to manage with a controller, and picking a single unit from a crowd can be challenging enough even with a mouse. I'm not even sure there's controller support.

I will certainly ask about the Eastern Dragon jetpack skins, but right now, they've got to fix the problem with the Imperial Edition content not actually being present. EDIT: I have passed that message along.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 6, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Megazver posted:

Doesn't the undead one require you to sew her a new body out of a whole bunch of other women?

I'd heard (spoilering to be safe) that there was another way that involved building a robot body, which sounds really cool.

Commissar, I can't really judge which princess is the best fro only doing one storyline. All I can tell you is that Aida is quite charming.

Right then, I guess I'll play it safe (man, that sounds creepy out of context) with my first princess then.

EDIT: Also, despite his ego, Edmund is the best general. prove me wrong. Hint: You can't :colbert:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 6, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Where is the option to marry Edmund? :confused:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Edmund wouldn't marry you you revolting half-breed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Djeser posted:

Where is the option to marry Edmund? :confused:

No joke, if Edmund or Prospera were marriage options, I'd chuck the other princesses off my ship. Also, Larian better start crowdfunding a Henry and Edmund buddy general show/game :allears:

EDIT: Ye gods, the attention to detail- I'm still laughing over how the ship's bartender/barmaid's padded her dress :haw: Trust me, it isn't as creepy as you might think, which might itself be a tagline for the rest of the game, hopefully.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 6, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Drifter posted:

I didn't see a response when the last person asked. Anyone know what's going on with the eastern dragon unlockable skins from way the heck back when? We put our email address in a year ago and there's still no mention of anything like it in the Larian Vault or in my email messages.

Got an answer.

Lar_q posted:

We're working on getting an update build out there with a couple of fixes & are running a bit behind with all the DLC stuff. But we'll get to it.

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Ye gods, the attention to detail- I'm still laughing over how the ship's bartender/barmaid's padded her dress :haw: Trust me, it isn't as creepy as you might think, which might itself be a tagline for the rest of the game, hopefully.

It's even more hilarious if you know that it used to be the placeholder design for the Skeleton Princess.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

No joke, if Edmund or Prospera were marriage options, I'd chuck the other princesses off my ship. Also, Larian better start crowdfunding a Henry and Edmund buddy general show/game :allears:

Yeah I noticed that myself the padding is great.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Can anyone help me against troopers with spoils of war?
The enemy ai is just sending alot of these to me in the early game and i cant find any way to handle them because they just take over my own turrets and then i get overrun.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hunters worked for me. My main strategy for pretty much the entire game was spamming hunters, armors, and shamans and it worked pretty well. Also your dragon can fry them in like a second, or at least the Mountain (combat) dragon can, I'm not sure if the other dragons have different stats instead of just different skills.

Edit: Having beat it due to my recent bout of insomnia, I have to say by far my favorite part were the political decisions. I only saw the Lizard Wife (Camilla, I believe) and Scarlets storylines along with the random decisions and both were pretty good, definitely going to have to replay this a time or two again to check the others out.

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 6, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just lost the very first RTS match I played on Hard. I should not have underestimated the enemy.

ParanoidInc posted:

Hunters worked for me. My main strategy for pretty much the entire game was spamming hunters, armors, and shamans and it worked pretty well. Also your dragon can fry them in like a second, or at least the Mountain (combat) dragon can, I'm not sure if the other dragons have different stats instead of just different skills.

Yes, they do. It's in the FAQ.

The other Dragons have different stats, diff. Zephyr does the least damage, but has the most health, so it can stay in the field and support troops. Mountain does the most damage and has the least health for fast, decisive attacks on enemies, and Sabre is a bit of both.

Troopers and all other Battle Forge units are easy prey for Hunters.

EDIT: Another Review, this one from Game Modo. I should check for more to add to the list of reviews on the previous page.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
That dwarf is such an rear end in a top hat.

e:

I am the best emperor.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 6, 2013

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
I'm sad that I seem to keep disagreeing with the Imps. Not that I necessarily like their stances, but their ambassador is probably the most entertaining so far and I hate to keep disappointing him.

The game wants me to choose a wife. I genuinely like how every one of them has obvious reasons for me to reject them but also strong reasons to choose them. Except Ophelia. She is sad and terrifying.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's definitely going to take me a while to figure out how to juggle direct command of my units and doing dragon stuff. It's been waaaay too long since I played an RTS.

I'll probably just drop the difficulty down to Easy. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God drat, this is the most fun I've had with a strategy game in a while. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the Total War series, since it's more streamlined. Sometimes I just want to play Risk and not have to juggle my economy while I do it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I did not know what to expect from the RTS aspect of this but it is hilariously fun. It's a lot of blobbing but it just feels good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Great Rumbler posted:

It's definitely going to take me a while to figure out how to juggle direct command of my units and doing dragon stuff. It's been waaaay too long since I played an RTS.

I'll probably just drop the difficulty down to Easy. :v:

Yeah, my plan is to drop it down to easy and enjoy wrecking poo poo as a dragon while loosely in command of a blob until that gets boring, then fiddle with higher difficulties.

I bet it stays fun for a while though. I'll have a jetpack, after all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So what's the point of using the generals when dragon form is so mind boggling good?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Djeser posted:

Where is the option to marry Edmund Scarlett? :confused:

Fixed this for you.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Bought the game on impulse and so far it has been pretty fun. Some things confuse me, though. Do I always get the same political decisions in the same order? I did the first chapter two times and always got the same sequence. Also, I am apparently horrible at the RTS part even on Normal and just resigned myself to let generals and army autoresolve most of their battles. Will this screw me over in the later chapters?

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Rascyc posted:

So what's the point of using the generals when dragon form is so mind boggling good?

I think the idea is that later turns have multiple battles per turn but you can only use dragon form in one of them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hey guys, before making a decision with your Generals or Princess, can you quickly check the popularity with each of the races, and see if it changes after you make the decision? I know that it does for the Edmund-Imp Ceremony decision in Chapter 1.

Randler posted:

Bought the game on impulse and so far it has been pretty fun. Some things confuse me, though. Do I always get the same political decisions in the same order? I did the first chapter two times and always got the same sequence. Also, I am apparently horrible at the RTS part even on Normal and just resigned myself to let generals and army autoresolve most of their battles. Will this screw me over in the later chapters?

The first chapter has the same sequence, after that it's random. I even once loaded an autosave from a later chapter and got different events the second time through.

Keep practicing, it take a while to get the hang of it. I'm now actually getting to the point where I'm microing units to target what they counter and cast spells and such. Hopefully I'll get to the point eventually when I can target unit's abilities while in Dragon form.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I want to say the tutorials suck.

Not slammin' the game in any way, but seriously. You wasted all that voice acting money to have a general tell me to click on the ground or press 'q' to send my dudes out to attack while I'm in dragon form, but none of anything to tell me the theory behind when to use a type of unit or explain why a hunter might be better than a trooper.

I don't even think any of that's in the game, is it?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hey guys, before making a decision with your Generals or Princess, can you quickly check the popularity with each of the races, and see if it changes after you make the decision? I know that it does for the Edmund-Imp Ceremony decision in Chapter 1.

Just tried it. Choosing a queen affects relations. (+20 for her faction, -5 for the others (except the Imps))

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drifter posted:

Not slammin' the game in any way, but seriously. You wasted all that voice acting money to have a general tell me to click on the ground or press 'q' to send my dudes out to attack while I'm in dragon form, but none of anything to tell me the theory behind when to use a type of unit or explain why a hunter might be better than a trooper.

The tooltips for units say who counters what and what unit classifications are.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You know what would be nice? If the cards that give you what you already have were removed. 3/4 of my deck is cards that give me dragon abilities and unit building capacity and I've already maxed out the research tree.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Drifter posted:

There is stuff on the tooltips in campaign mode, explaining the unit's class and what classes/units it's good against.

I've recently updated this post with that information as well:

I agree Megazver, they need some way to sell or trade cards you have no use for.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thanks for that.

The game is just swamping me with enemies, it's like an ocean wave of red life bars sweeping over my little guys. I'm not sure what to do. I suppose I REALLY suck at rts stuff. But it feels like the AI just sits there simultaneously and nonstoppingly building units and sending them out. I can't move around the map fast enough to catch up.

It's insane. :sigh:
I'll figure it out...but...:sigh:

edit: I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining that the game itself sucks, I actually enjoy having to learn new things or gameplay techniques, but it's just that I REALLY suck.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 7, 2013

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I am completely lost in chapter 2. The whole stuck on an island thing while 3 other people hoard around the map makes it difficult to figure out just where to start.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Click the Empire Summary in the top right of the screen, it gives you a breakdown and shows your gold per turn, luck, motivation, etc.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I am completely lost in chapter 2. The whole stuck on an island thing while 3 other people hoard around the map makes it difficult to figure out just where to start.

I started by sending troops to the northern part of the continent nearest you and slowly expanding around the main continent from there, while keeping a defensive force on my main island. The AI also seemed to ignore the northern islands in the most part for my game, so it might be worth sending a transport up with a unit to grab them for the income and research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drifter posted:

Thanks for that.

The game is just swamping me with enemies, it's like an ocean wave of red life bars sweeping over my little guys. I'm not sure what to do. I suppose I REALLY suck at rts stuff. But it feels like the AI just sits there simultaneously and nonstoppingly building units and sending them out. I can't move around the map fast enough to catch up.

It's insane. :sigh:
I'll figure it out...but...:sigh:

edit: I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining that the game itself sucks, I actually enjoy having to learn new things or gameplay techniques, but it's just that I REALLY suck.
There's really two ways to go about it. Either start a battle off strong with your starting forces: which means you immediately blitz out of your starting base and start capturing forward bases near the enemy, and then immediately start reinforcing from the forward base.

Alternatively, start off weak and just turtle in your base until you can get your dragon on the field and then move out from there. Dragon is really OP poo poo in the early game.

But yeah I pretty much just blob on hard and focus on macro.

• Locked thread