Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Eren killed a man in cold blood on the suspicion that he was holding Mikasa hostage. That alone is evidence for psychopathy.

That doesn't make him devoid of empathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly, he the anti-Ender. In the face of danger Ender is always calm, always rational, always thinking. In the face of danger Eren is never calm, suicidally irrational, and never has much of a plan. Ender is a prodigal commander, Eren is a destructive rage monster. They are entirely different people, even if they are both young boys. They are both caring, but for very different reasons.

The closest person this show has to an Ender would be Pixis, but honestly even he isn't that close.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

That doesn't make him devoid of empathy.
Not necessarily, no, but it helps demonstrate that he doesn't really think of much about people that he doesn't personally know.

Of course his murder could just be his suicidal rage manifesting with his explanation about how the kidnappers being monsters instead of humans merely a conscious effort to explain his unconscious decisions.

In any event it shows that he's just about as far as you can get from Ender Wiggin. Also the other comparisons are off: Armin isn't so much Eren's protege as much as he is the Superego to Eren's Id (Mikasa makes for a nice Ego as well, meaning the three combine nicely into a Freudian psyche model -- just a thought I had while typing this post). If you're going to compare one character to another then I guess Levi and Petra go well together but "mentor" is a pretty common character model to begin with. I'm not even certain if you could say that the brass in Attack on Titan is really looking to manipulate Eren or anybody else relevant to the story (outside of Erwin). The nobility and the Wall Religion are both playing toward their own goals, which leaves... the military? Who just see Eren as a liability instead of anything with potential.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 6, 2013

rvm
May 6, 2013

Kusaru posted:

I always thought this magazine cover summed it up nicely:

I wonder what's the story behind this cover. I hope it was that the editor tasked Isayama with fanservice picture of Mikasa for the cover and that's what he drew :)

rvm fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 7, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

rvm posted:

I wonder what's the story behind this cover. I hope it was that the editor tasked Isayama with fanservice picture of Mikasa for the cover and that's what he drew :)

That is exactly what happened. Specifically it was "Mikasa in a bikini" if I remember correctly.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 7, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ironically I think that made people MORE attracted to the character since it wasn't just another moeblob.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Captain Invictus posted:

Ironically I think that made people MORE attracted to the character since it wasn't just another moeblob.

To the point that the pretty idol costume that miku miku dance guy made was specially designed to emphasize how jacked she is.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

To the point that the pretty idol costume that miku miku dance guy made was specially designed to emphasize how jacked she is.

Mikasa's idol costume also comes from Isayama. I think the first time it shows up is in one of the "rejected cover art" pages that are at the end of a few of the manga chapters (all of which star Mikasa).

Pensive fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 7, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ViggyNash posted:

The closest person this show has to an Ender would be Pixis, but honestly even he isn't that close.
Erwin..?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Jackard posted:

Erwin..?

Erwin is the military dude in the background pulling the strings, Eren is still Ender but even more obviously Hitler

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Quick, someone whip up some fanart of Mikasa as Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Erwin..?

Not really. He's a pretty collected guy, but he hasn't really shown himself to be leader material, though he would probably be better than most of the recruits. I think Armin might actually be closer, among the recruits. He might not always be the calmest guy, but he's able to think when he needs to and can effectively break down a situation and make sense of information more quickly than others.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

You guys have absolutely no idea how apropo this conversation about Ender's game is mixed with the conversation about Fascist overtones in the series earlier

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
But really there are (a) no parallels with Ender's Game and (b) no parallels with Hitler, so this whole conversation is pretty stupid.

Militaristic, yes, but that's hardly rare. Fascistic, no. And this is coming from the person trying to draw parallels between Valvrave and fascism.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYyxu9OqIII

Check out the violin shredding

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

But really there are (a) no parallels with Ender's Game and (b) no parallels with Hitler, so this whole conversation is pretty stupid.

Militaristic, yes, but that's hardly rare. Fascistic, no. And this is coming from the person trying to draw parallels between Valvrave and fascism.

I actually agree I just think it's really funny people were talking about Ender's game (in which there is a large amount of analysis around the main character being a symbol for poor misunderstood Hitler) immediately after the militarism and fascism discussion

edit: tbh I think a more accurate reading of the show is radical liberalism championed by the military (like in revolutionary france)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

This pretty much. I really don't see much of Ender's Game in this other than the military element. On the other hand, "The Fourth Reich" was a name very blatantly thrown out in Valverave, so the fascism angle fits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

On a slightly different topic,

Images for an upcoming webgame based on the series. I've had no real luck tracking down further information on it, sadly. The outfits alone give me the impression it's going to be either some fantasy-inspired game, or a weird alternate universe game. Or these images are just simple alternate outfits for characters that you can unlock/buy in-game/will be DLC.

There's also a 3DS game coming out as well from Chunsoft. Haven't been able to find out any information on the 3DS game beyond who's making it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I want Anime Jean replaced with Steampunk Crossbow Texan Jean this instant

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

I actually agree I just think it's really funny people were talking about Ender's game (in which there is a large amount of analysis around the main character being a symbol for poor misunderstood Hitler) immediately after the militarism and fascism discussion

edit: tbh I think a more accurate reading of the show is radical liberalism championed by the military (like in revolutionary france)

I always found it strange that people reach for Hitler comparisons when it's very obvious that Ender is a symbol for poor misunderstood Harry S Truman/Albert Einstein/Paul Tibbets. It's not very subtle. This also makes it unlikely that a Japanese writer would take inspiration from it (although I'm not sure anyone was saying the similarities they were finding were intentional).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 7, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

manga spoilers cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What the gently caress are you doing talking about manga stuff that's still far away from now in this thread.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

quote:

Not really, that essay [Where the Ender is a "poorly misunderstood Hitler" comparisons come from] was a dumb stretch of the imagination and people keep parroting it when there's absolutely no substance to it.

If you really wanted to find some kind of real world war-crime analogue you need go no further than Curtis LeMay.

What I do find to be an interesting comparison though, is between say the film Pacific Rim and Attack on Titan. Humanity wants to hide behind its (useless) walls while they are being salvaged by uncaring unreasonable monsters humans are incapable of defeating nor negotiating with who just want to wipe us out.

Then there's the parallel of "creating monsters to fight monsters", they even named their Mecha Jaeger, it makes me think Del Toro had read the manga at some point.

Apologies if someone already brought up Pacific rim :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Thus begins yet another nearly baseless comparison: the Kaiju and the Titans are entirely different.

They are both frighteningly monstrous and out to get humanity, but that's where the comparison ends. The Kaiju are more akin to the Angels in Eva (one reason why everyone though Pacific Rim was based on Eva), which is to say near-god-like beings with unimaginable power. The Titans are much smaller, much weaker, and much more manageable individually. The problem with the Titans is that there's a metric fuckton of them, too many to fight off. That's why walls work just fine against Titans (until sentient Titans come knocking of course), but do jack poo poo against the Kaiju in Pacific Rim.

Attack on Titan is a war against another species (in a sense) while Pacific Rim/Eva is a war against gods.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Attack on Titan is a war against another species (in a sense) while Pacific Rim/Eva is a war against gods.

Attack on Titan is a zombie apocalypse story where the zombies are giants.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
No, it's a giant robot story where the giant robots are zombies. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Pshaw. What kind of giant robot story is it if the robots can't combine?!

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Pshaw. What kind of giant robot story is it if the robots can't combine?!

Do we know where the colossal titan comes from? :colbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Astro Ambulance posted:

Our Titan is the Titan that will pierce the wall! :c00lbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Astro Ambulance posted:

Clearly it has a regular sized titan in its neck.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RatHat posted:

Clearly it has a regular sized titan in its neck.

Humans themselves have a teeny tiny person inside their own nape. It's titans all the way down.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Segmentation Fault posted:

Humans themselves have a teeny tiny person inside their own nape. It's titans all the way down.

Applied Atomititanic Theory.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The gallows humor this series manages to produce will always amaze me.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So this last episode had a bunch of confusing poo poo piled onto the ending and I decided to read a little of this thread to see if anything makes sense and instead I see big black bricks of people talking about how everyone in the loving army is a goddamn titan?

What the flying gently caress, that makes no sense at all. That doesn't even... what. I came in here supposing that the dude escaped by firing his flare gun, she paused is because of some bizarre sense of guilt or suspicion Arwin was talking about Eren or something, and the reason she changed course is her super titan eavesdropping power.

I can't even tell if this is a running joke or not, but if you guyses' speculation is right and not just some fun conspiracy theory I hope they justify it well. From the face of it that seems even dumber than Eren's bullshit revival.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e: Hmm that probably isn't the best to post even if it technically isn't spoilers.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 8, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

kater posted:

So this last episode had a bunch of confusing poo poo piled onto the ending and I decided to read a little of this thread to see if anything makes sense and instead I see big black bricks of people talking about how everyone in the loving army is a goddamn titan?

What the flying gently caress, that makes no sense at all. That doesn't even... what. I came in here supposing that the dude escaped by firing his flare gun, she paused is because of some bizarre sense of guilt or suspicion Arwin was talking about Eren or something, and the reason she changed course is her super titan eavesdropping power.

I can't even tell if this is a running joke or not, but if you guyses' speculation is right and not just some fun conspiracy theory I hope they justify it well. From the face of it that seems even dumber than Eren's bullshit revival.

We're all just as :stare: as you are, but the evidence really does fit. The tell-tale smoke, the visual similarities, the fact that he escaped after he was supposedly crushed, the evidence is starting to build.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Uh can I buy this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eleeleth posted:

Uh can I buy this?

You cannot and it literally brings me to tears to know this. It was only available with a limited edition set of the manga in Japan.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 8, 2013

• Locked thread