Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Reiner likes what Ymir likes, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I found the page. The dialogue is pretty much exactly what Pensive posted.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/135631/shingeki-no-kyojin_v9_ch38_by_tdx/29

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Genocyber posted:

I found the page. The dialogue is pretty much exactly what Pensive posted.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/135631/shingeki-no-kyojin_v9_ch38_by_tdx/29

The next page for that has a lot more meaning given what we know now, I should really re-read this from the start.

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
I thought it was confirmed as a mistranslation, since that part of the speech bubble didn't connect to Reiner, implying that it was Ymir who said it.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Zassiliss posted:

I thought it was confirmed as a mistranslation, since that part of the speech bubble didn't connect to Reiner, implying that it was Ymir who said it.

Using google translate my totally real multilingual skills, the other translations on batodo seem to agree with the English version, all four agree that Reiner is talking. The Portuguese and Spanish seem to say pretty much the same thing as the English, though interestingly the Italian version seems to agree with Vincent and the Turkish goes the other way (though I wouldn't put much stake in that, google doesn't seem to be very good at Turkish).

'course I could just be talking out of my rear end. Someone who has the raws and knows Japanese or the official translation (which I don't think is this far yet) could probably solve this...

Pensive fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 6, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Genocyber posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that scene now. And since I binged through the manga, I was a bit confused since there it's hinted he's gay, but recent stuff suggests he's straight. I like your idea that it's part of his split personality thing.

Obviously Reiner's into dudes when he's human, and a ladies' man when he's a titan! :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pensive posted:

Using google translate my totally real multilingual skills, the other translations on batodo seem to agree with the English version, all four agree that Reiner is talking. The Portuguese and Spanish seem to say pretty much the same thing as the English, though interestingly the Italian version seems to agree with Vincent and the Turkish goes the other way (though I wouldn't put much stake in that, google doesn't seem to be very good at Turkish).

'course I could just be talking out of my rear end. Someone who has the raws and knows Japanese or the official translation (which I don't think is this far yet) could probably solve this...

I'd give you good odds that those other translations are translations of the English script, not the raw. But, anyway, this is the page in question:

Kind of a lovely raw, but that looks like "驚いたな... 女に興味があるようには見えなかつたんだが......"

Which, uh, I think is more or less what it's been translated as, but doesn't have anything that would indicate who's speaking it to who. Note also that the other bubble on the page without a flicky bit is definitely Reiner's, speaking from off-panel.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'd give you good odds that those other translations are translations of the English script, not the raw. But, anyway, this is the page in question.

Yeah, I suspected that as a possibility too. It would be considerably easier to find Europeans who can translate from English than from Japanese.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reiner also said Annie had a nice rear end in Titan form.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I've seen a number of people speculating that the Female Titan is Armin's mom or Eren's mom, despite the anime making things quite a bit more obvious. My question is, were those two possibilities floated around when the manga was at those chapters? I missed out on most of the discussions for the manga because I marathoned it right before the first episode aired. Reading it all so fast didn't leave me a lot of time for speculation so I didn't even put any thought into her identity before getting to the reveal chapter.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

RubberLuffy posted:

I've seen a number of people speculating that the Female Titan is Armin's mom or Eren's mom, despite the anime making things quite a bit more obvious. My question is, were those two possibilities floated around when the manga was at those chapters? I missed out on most of the discussions for the manga because I marathoned it right before the first episode aired. Reading it all so fast didn't leave me a lot of time for speculation so I didn't even put any thought into her identity before getting to the reveal chapter.
Dug through old posts in this thread and found people talking about the chapter where Female Titan first appeared.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RubberLuffy posted:

I've seen a number of people speculating that the Female Titan is Armin's mom
My friends were speculating the same, I think solely based on her sparing Armin.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

I'd give you good odds that those other translations are translations of the English script, not the raw. But, anyway, this is the page in question:

Kind of a lovely raw, but that looks like "驚いたな... 女に興味があるようには見えなかつたんだが......"

Which, uh, I think is more or less what it's been translated as, but doesn't have anything that would indicate who's speaking it to who. Note also that the other bubble on the page without a flicky bit is definitely Reiner's, speaking from off-panel.

Looking at this page, it's pretty obvious the first bubble in that panel is Ymir. If you missed the detail that one has a tail and the other doesn't, I can see how you might attribute both lines to Reiner, though, as there's no explicit clues in the line itself and it sort of works either way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cross-posting some stuff I found from the anime thread.

AradoBalanga posted:

On a slightly different topic,

Images for an upcoming webgame based on the series. I've had no real luck tracking down further information on it, sadly. The outfits alone give me the impression it's going to be either some fantasy-inspired game, or a weird alternate universe game. Or these images are just simple alternate outfits for characters that you can unlock/buy in-game/will be DLC.

There's also a 3DS game coming out as well from Chunsoft. Haven't been able to find out any information on the 3DS game beyond who's making it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kild posted:

Reiner also said Annie had a nice rear end in Titan form.

That would have nothing to do with whether or not Reiner is attracted to women or women's asses. Annie's rear end is nice. This is an objective fact. You don't have to be attracted to somebody to compliment their features.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I don't remember that line being in the manga

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That would have nothing to do with whether or not Reiner is attracted to women or women's asses. Annie's rear end is nice. This is an objective fact. You don't have to be attracted to somebody to compliment their features.

Right, but generally a guy wont say a guy has a nice rear end even if he does because he isn't looking nor cares (in terms of heteronormativity)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Right, but generally a guy wont say a guy has a nice rear end even if he does because he isn't looking nor cares (in terms of heteronormativity)

If I see a dude with a nice rear end, rare though that is, I don't have much issue complimenting it. Usually if a dude's got a nice rear end he's pretty fit in general, and the compliment is less sexual and more "dude, you must work out like crazy" and acknowledgement of his efforts.

Or at least that's what I tell myself as they're stomping my skull into the curb.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You've got a nice rear end

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nahxela posted:

You've got a nice rear end

Not as nice as yours, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hajime Isayama was asked to draw Mikasa as an idol.

"Everyone!! Are we all having fun??!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hajime Isayama was asked to draw a cover for some manga and made a joke out of it, right? Anyone know the context behind/have an image of that cove available?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hajime Isayama was asked to draw a cover for some manga and made a joke out of it, right? Anyone know the context behind/have an image of that cove available?

Ah yes, that. It was this. He was asked to help promote a new romance manga by drawing a little advertisement illustration on the dust jacket. Apparently the author was a friend of his.

EDIT:

Some fanart someone drew of the titans.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 7, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

With an expression like that, I can see Mikasa being a highly successful idol...Entirely because everyone would be terrified of what she'd do to them if they didn't support her career.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

quote:

Isayama draws weird poo poo

Here is Jean caught in the act of 'attacking his titan' by his mother.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?

DrSunshine posted:

Mikasa should have been the one to carry that rock.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

DrSunshine posted:

”Mikarin" :laffo:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wait what do you guys mean by "Idol?" Is there some context for this in terms of mangas?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wait what do you guys mean by "Idol?" Is there some context for this in terms of mangas?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Japanese+Idol

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

Dug through old posts in this thread and found people talking about the chapter where Female Titan first appeared.

Thanks.

Been re-reading the manga looking for interesting stuff that has had its context changed, much like everyone else in the thread. Noticed early in chapter 38 when Connie is crying over losing his village how Reiner comforts him and almost looks ready to cry himself. Meanwhile Bert is of course just standing there staring at them with a single sweatdrop. I'm sure someone's already cataloged all the weird Reiner/Bert moments, including this scene, and this doesn't really tell us anything new, but it is just another instance of Reiner's weird internal conflicts and Bert's "What the hell, Reiner?" faces. Looking for this stuff is almost as fun as reading new chapter.

Reading the old discussions in this thread from the older chapters is pretty entertaining, too. Sucks I missed out on fresh discussion of a lot of the big moments. Thankfully I don't think we're ever going to run out of "What the gently caress?" moments with this series.

Edit: And just a few pages later Reiner is really upset and incredibly insistent about Connie just being delusional about that titan at his house talking and looking familiar. Maybe Reiner has seen "failed" Titan conversions before?

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 7, 2013

rvm
May 6, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

Thanks.

Been re-reading the manga looking for interesting stuff that has had its context changed, much like everyone else in the thread. Noticed early in chapter 38 when Connie is crying over losing his village how Reiner comforts him and almost looks ready to cry himself. Meanwhile Bert is of course just standing there staring at them with a single sweatdrop. I'm sure someone's already cataloged all the weird Reiner/Bert moments, including this scene, and this doesn't really tell us anything new, but it is just another instance of Reiner's weird internal conflicts and Bert's "What the hell, Reiner?" faces. Looking for this stuff is almost as fun as reading new chapter.

Reading the old discussions in this thread from the older chapters is pretty entertaining, too. Sucks I missed out on fresh discussion of a lot of the big moments. Thankfully I don't think we're ever going to run out of "What the gently caress?" moments with this series.

Edit: And just a few pages later Reiner is really upset and incredibly insistent about Connie just being delusional about that titan at his house talking and looking familiar. Maybe Reiner has seen "failed" Titan conversions before?

It's pretty clear in retrospect that he (and a few pages later Ymir) was trying to prevent Connie from investigating this titan.

rvm fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 7, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

rvm posted:

It's pretty clear in retrospect that he (and a few pages later Ymir) was trying to prevent Connie from investigating this titan.

It was even clear at the time. I just assumed that it was all part of trying to keep Connie from breaking down in the middle of a potentially dangerous situation. When Reiner pulled Eren aside I assumed it would be to let him in on the fact that the titans came from inside the wall and that they should broach the topic to their commanders discreetly to help keep it from Connie. It made what he actually said even more shocking.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Where's the new chapter, shouldn't there at least be spoilers out by now? The wait.. it's killing me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, for some reason I was thinking about the "romantic relations" between main characters.

We know that:

- both Reiner and Ymir likes Christa (who probably likes Ymir)

- Jean loves Mikasa, who loves Eren

- Bethold loves Annie, who (I think) loves Armin

Sasha should pair up with Connie, I guess.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, for some reason I was thinking about the "romantic relations" between main characters.

We know that:

Sasha should pair up with a potato farm I guess.

Why would you suggest anything else. :colbert:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Doflamingo posted:

Where's the new chapter, shouldn't there at least be spoilers out by now? The wait.. it's killing me.

Pictures of the new issue's cover (which is advertising an AoT 3DS game coming this fall) started popping up online yesterday, so hopefully spoilers/scans will be up shortly.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The raw chapter 48 is out. No translation yet.

http://www.mangasky.com/shingeki_no_kyojin/48/1/

Huge Spoilers: According to this, Wall Maria...is gone. :eyepop: -Edit: Wait this is apparently a fake spoiler.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 7, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Looks like Bert finally cracks.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The raw chapter 48 is out. No translation yet.

http://www.mangasky.com/shingeki_no_kyojin/48/1/

Huge Spoilers: According to this, Wall Maria...is gone. :eyepop:

Hot drat, that is a fine crazy eyed rage Mikasa has got going on there.

And, reading this, I've realised that I don't even care what Bert and Ernie are about anymore. I just want them to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hot drat, that is a fine crazy eyed rage Mikasa has got going on there.

And, reading this, I've realised that I don't even care what Bert and Ernie are about anymore. I just want them to die.

They were just nobody pawns when they were ordered to attack on Wall Maria. Ymir said it herself, that Eren was just wasting his rage on them. I think with Bert having a breakdown, it means they can be converted to join the scout legion's side.