Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sappo569 posted:

And have driven plenty where there was no lockout, but you had to manhandle it way over past 1st gear, but we're talking Porsche and Ferrari here.
My 02 Mini-S was like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

My 02 Mini-S was like this.

Oh I'm sure there are tonnes that don't have a 'on/off' style reverse lockout.

Reminds me BMW also did that, not sure if they still do

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
They even turned off my auto-headlights thinking that would let them put it in reverse :v: Honestly they should've just called, between snapping the lockout and them lying to me about it, it sucked. I hope they appreciate the bad reviews on yelp/google places I leave.

I installed the v105 91 cobb ECU map yesterday with the AP, holy loving toledo is that a noticeable difference - I don't think I'll need the downpipe at this point.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Worst case put the thing in neutral and push. That car isn't terribly heavy.

E: with someone in it obviously.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The first salesman that let me test drive the ST didn't know about the reverse ring. Made for an awkward test drive.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My test drive went something like this

Dealer: "Are you okay with driving this thing out of the parking lot, this is a high traffic area"
:smug: : "I used to have a 600hp camaro, I can handle this"
*Let clutch out, not expect such little clutch play, stall immediatly*
Dealer: "Yea I'm gonna bring it onto the street for you"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm never sure about test driving hot hatches. I mean, do you drive it sensibly and never get a feel for what the car's really like, or do you drive it like you actually would if you owned it, and come off looking like every other knuckle-dragging test pilot that comes in off the street?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Only one option: like the most recent Need For Speed commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90m9yKaT1M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

InitialDave posted:

I'm never sure about test driving hot hatches. I mean, do you drive it sensibly and never get a feel for what the car's really like, or do you drive it like you actually would if you owned it, and come off looking like every other knuckle-dragging test pilot that comes in off the street?

In between. In my experience if the sales guy thinks your an actual buyer he'll give you more leeway with the test drive. Obviously don't go out and do burnouts and clutch drops, but throw it into a corner and don't be scared to rev it above 3K.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When I test drove my GTI the salesman encouraged me to wring it out. So I guess drive it normal at first then when the guy gives you the go ahead drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Show up in a full face helmet and fire suit and demand that the salesman tell you his blood type before you set off.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Show up in a full face helmet and fire suit and demand that the salesman tell you his blood type before you set off.

That reminds me of the Jeff Gordon 'Test Drive' video, which I'm sure most of AI has already seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mHPo2yDG8

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 8, 2013

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sepist posted:

They even turned off my auto-headlights thinking that would let them put it in reverse :v: Honestly they should've just called, between snapping the lockout and them lying to me about it, it sucked. I hope they appreciate the bad reviews on yelp/google places I leave.

Did they not reimburse you? Was this at a chain, or just a local single location shop?

Sappo569 posted:

Normal people would try looking for the lockout, not find it and try pushing down, then try maybe edging it into reverse ... failing that ask the customer

And shops have insurance to cover this kind of stuff. It's not like they wrecked an F40.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 6, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

InitialDave posted:

I just head for the nearest interstate. You get a good on ramp/off ramp experience, good highway driving, reverse it on the way back, and in town between.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Sir Tonk posted:

Did they not reimburse you? Was this at a chain, or just a local single location shop?

Single location shop. No the owner was the one I spoke to and he blew it off and wouldn't take responsibility

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Just wait until you're out of sight until you drive the poo poo out of it?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just wait until you're out of sight until you drive the poo poo out of it?

I've never had a test drive where the sales guy didn't come with me.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

opengl128 posted:

I've never had a test drive where the sales guy didn't come with me.

I've never taken a test drive with a sales guy.
I don't need some douche who knows less about the car than me yapping my ear off so I'm not paying attention to the kinds of details you catch when you are alone. Like rattles, road noise, gaps and blemishes in the interior.
I only had one guy say no to me, and he changed his mind real quick when I got back in my car.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Math You posted:

I've never taken a test drive with a sales guy.

Same here. At least not at a dealership.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

How old are ya'll? Maybe its because the bulk of my test drives were when I was new car shopping 5 years ago when I was 24, and they were hot hatch types. MS3, GTI, Si, etc. Though I did drive a BRZ last week and the sales guy came with. Can't say I've ever pressed the issue though.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

opengl128 posted:

How old are ya'll? Maybe its because the bulk of my test drives were when I was new car shopping 5 years ago when I was 24, and they were hot hatch types. MS3, GTI, Si, etc. Though I did drive a BRZ last week and the sales guy came with. Can't say I've ever pressed the issue though.

Yeah, I'm 23 and have never gotten away by myself. Most dealers won't give me the time of day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At 34 with good credit and nice clothes I can pretty much test drive whatever I want within reason flying solo. When I drove a Camaro the salesguy tried to get me to test a Corvette so he could justify a ridealong.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

opengl128 posted:

I'm 24 and was 22 when I purchased my first new car. I was in my best clothes (not a suit which is obviously your only suit), and very clear about what I wanted. You have to remember sales guys want to get you young. My dad's motto is not to ever ask a dealer anything. It seemed to work for me.

"I'll test drive this car, thanks."- hand licence.
Most dealers at this point just pointed me to the car and reminded me to hang the plates. If they didn't I'd just say.
"I'm good on my own, thanks."
This worked all but once in a 500 abarth. Dude tried to tell me it was due to insurance reasons.
"Well, see ya. We'll see if *competitor* bullshits me."

I got my test drive but knew then I wouldn't buy a car from that guy. I didn't like the car either. Was fun as hell, but I like to see.

Keep in mind that I am Canadian, so maybe that's why. Meh.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Twenty-nine, but it wasn't a problem when I was suitless and twenty either.

Math You posted:

Keep in mind that I am Canadian, so maybe that's why. Meh.

Yeah, this is in Europe. I guess that's why.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Now the dealership I did buy my ST from was legit about not letting people test drive it at all. It had 3 miles on it when I drove it. I can take that. So I didn't mind having to convince them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sepist posted:

Single location shop. No the owner was the one I spoke to and he blew it off and wouldn't take responsibility

How frustrating. You'd probably win in court, but the time it would take is hardly worth it I'd imagine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pay by American Express, do a chargeback on it: The Solution to Terrible Retailers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I live in alberta, anybody willing to work hard can make 100k a year, dealerships will toss you the keys to anything you ask for.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Phone posted:

Pay by American Express, do a chargeback on it: The Solution to Terrible Retailers.

I normally do put everything on it for that reason but this place didn't take credit. FWIW they had great reviews compared to all the other local shops and the tint itself is fantastic, they're just retarded scumbags at the root of it. If it weren't for the ford's warranty covering it, I would've made a stink.

Powershift posted:

I live in alberta, anybody willing to work hard can make 100k a year, dealerships will toss you the keys to anything you ask for.

My dealer knew I make 6 figures and I had already put the deposit down, he still rode shotgun :smith: He did let me beat up on it on the drive back though.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Powershift posted:

Maybe it is because we are Canadian, and they don't give a poo poo because we are paying 20% more for the same car. =(

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Looks like Mountune are opening up shop in the US, and dealerships will be offering their Focus and Fiesta ST packages under warranty:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/06/fords-official-euro-aftermarket-partner-mountune-coming-to-us/

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Sorry for the lovely pics. Were these any good? I drove the previous generation NA Sprint/Swift and liked it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably not a good car, but it's definitely been on my bucket list of cars to drive.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Right now I'm basically torn between the Focus ST and the MS3, although I'm also looking at a few other things in that price range. However, I haven't test driven anything yet. Probably my biggest problem right now is that I don't drive manual. Will a dealership take me on a test drive, or is that not something they do?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

AvesPKS posted:

Right now I'm basically torn between the Focus ST and the MS3, although I'm also looking at a few other things in that price range. However, I haven't test driven anything yet. Probably my biggest problem right now is that I don't drive manual. Will a dealership take me on a test drive, or is that not something they do?

Yeah, the salesman will probably love you for letting them drive them. I know the GTI comes in a DSG transmission (auto but better) if that's your thing and has the same fun factor as the other two. I would, however, find a friend that drives a manual and is interested in hot hatches to test drive it for you so you can get realistic opinions other than "YEAH MAN THIS THING IS RAD whats your credentials so we can get this credit check going"

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Since you don't drive manual one small thing to note is both the MS3 and ST are six-speeds instead of the more common five-speed. This means in addition to the extra gear reverse is located on the upper left of the clutch.

Fun fact: to get into reverse with the MS3 you push down and shift, to do it in the ST you pull a small metal ring up and shift. Don't confuse the two like I did and then promptly stall out when it doesn't actually go into gear.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

AvesPKS posted:

Manual cars

If it makes you feel any better, I have been driving an automatic for the last 10 years because of getting sick of my previous manual car.

Went to test drive the Focus ST (the one I am probably going to buy when the 2014 is out), mentioned it to the sales person, then promptly went about killing the car 3 times before getting out of the parking lot. In front of a lot of people. All trying to hide their amusement. :) My graceful exit from the parking lot was a huge panic shift out of first at about 3500 rpm, rocketing into the street.

If you have any friends with a manual car, let them give you a lesson on a weekend. You really want to drive it yourself instead of the sales person. These cars are pretty drat fun to drive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Since you don't drive manual one small thing to note is both the MS3 and ST are six-speeds instead of the more common five-speed. This means in addition to the extra gear reverse is located on the upper left of the clutch.

A large proportion of the cars still available with a manual transmission are six speeds - kinda necessary for fuel economy reasons.

Also is have to disagree with whoever said the GTI has the same fun factor as other hot hatches - the GTI is a great car but its more of an all rounder, slower, softer and more refined.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Learning stick is pretty easy to pick up, find a friend with one and you'll be able to get it down in an afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Captain McAllister posted:

That reminds me of the Jeff Gordon 'Test Drive' video, which I'm sure most of AI has already seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mHPo2yDG8.a Camaro.

I actually hadn't seen this and went into it thinking it was 100% staged but you really can't fake some of the emotions that salesman was very clearly experiencing and I laughed my rear end off.