Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

my dad posted:

That link is going through Facebook, I assume you wanted to post this:

4.07.3a

Woops, thanks for catching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You should put Caves of Qud in the OP, because it's awesome and some goons made it. :colbert:

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

You should put Caves of Qud in the OP, because it's awesome and some goon made it. :colbert:

That goon should work on it more and add more stuff to do and more mutations and I dunno but it should happen because it's great. :colbert:

(i kid)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

TheMightyCheese posted:

Another possibility for the OP is Risk of Rain, which is a platformer roguelike-like based around surviving on an alien planet while everything tries to kill you.

The central idea of the game is that time equals difficulty, and so the longer you survive, the harder it gets, so you have to balance between rushing to the next level or sticking around to try to find items while more and more monsters pop up to try to murder and eat you. It's got a sufficiently merciless normal difficulty, as well as a hardcore mode that can be pretty brutal, and of course the usual permadeath.

Besides that, it's a class-based game where each class (six so far out of a planned ten) has four abilities. You level up, but that's just automatic stat increases, and your real boosts in power are from the huge number of items (many of the items and classes will need to be unlocked in the final release, but in the beta it's mostly just available so it can be tested immediately) that you buy from chests or gamble on from shrines or get from bosses when you kill them. One of the best decisions the devs made, in my opinion, was to make every item have a very clear and distinct effect, usually with a visual indicator to go along with it, so that you're not finding something and going "oh it's just a little damage boost", it's "aw yeah my shots all explode for extra damage now" or "I leave a trail of fire everywhere I go" et cetera.

The game had a pretty successful kickstarter campaign, and currently it's still in beta (which is paid, and more expensive than just preordering with no beta access), getting updates every couple of weeks, usually with a bugfix a day or two after each content update, and the devs have been very open about everything on the forums as they work on it. It was originally slated for release in August, but that got pushed back when the devs decided to include online multiplayer as well as the already planned local co-op, which basically involved redoing a lot of the code from the ground up. More features are still in the works, and the actual ending of the game isn't in yet, so you just loop through the levels for as long as you can survive currently, but the game already plays very well even in its current state.

gently caress you, you just cost me $25 and my entire afternoon :negative:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Seconding Risk of Rain. Seems like it should get a little too samey since it doesn't have much by way of building a char, but it's charming, easy to pick up and play and has a great aesthetic.

Are there any recommendations for a decent iOS roguelike besides 100 Rogues?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Yeah, It could use some talent/perks so you can round out your char when you get screwed by the item rng. Some classes are pretty much unplayable unless you get lifeleech/life on kill in the first 2-3 stages.

A minimap and sloping the "kill all enemies to exit stage" mechanic would also be welcome.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I have another semi-popular roguelike that I think everyone should try, given the chance.

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: SNES-era JRPG style pixel art
Platform: SNES (Japan only), DS

Let's Plays:
None that I know of.

Forks: Not a fork per se, but two sequels, one on N64 (Japan only) and one on Wii. Neither are considered as good as the original.

Shiren the Wanderer is a Japanese roguelike by Chunsoft, best known in the states as the makers of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. It's heavily inspired by Nethack in terms of dungeon layouts, shop layouts, item types, and so on, but has a lot of unique elements too. The main quest spans 30 "floors" which represent a quest from a starting village to the top of Table Mountain. Unlike most traditional roguelikes, permadeath does not mean the loss of all progress: quests completed remain completed and items stored either in warehouses or in storing jars will remain. However, you will regress to level 1 and return to the starting village with each death. In addition to the main quest are small side quests to be completed, bonus dungeons after completing the main dungeon, and the Puzzle Dungeons, small one-floor dungeons each designed with a specific trick necessary to beat it.

The Nintendo DS version is the only version of the original game to make it out of Japan. It's notable for its rescue system, in which good runs can be saved by other people doing rescue runs via a password system. Do note that a given incarnation of Shiren can only be revived once, however. The DS version is also easily the best roguelike on the system and, in my opinion, the best portable roguelike period. It's got the difficulty and strategic depth of a classic roguelike, the progression of a JRPG, and some of the best art, music, and sound of any roguelike ever.

Seriously, go track down this game and play it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

quiggy posted:

Forks: Not a fork per se, but two sequels, one on N64 (Japan only) and one on Wii. Neither are considered as good as the original.

Yo you do not even know how many loving branches of that tree there are. Offhand I can think of two major "spinoffs" (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the Chocobo's Dungeon games), at least one which never seemed to get much love that played with fun concepts (the two Torneko games, one on SFC, the other on PS1), and I want to say there's another I'm forgetting here.

Those are totally forks, given that a lot of them are from the same company (Chunsoft).

edit: Holy poo poo there were 4 more Torneko/Dragon Quest mystery dungeon games I never even knew existed.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ok fair enough, Shiren is part of the Mystery Dungeon series which is enormous. I more meant to say that there's no direct spin-offs of Shiren itself other than its two sequels.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, I guess I got a little weird there, sorry. I just figure it's probably worth mentioning given that each basically did add their own mechanics or change things up, sometimes massively more than your average roguelike fork.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey I remember that Transcendence game in the OP! I played a lot of that a few years ago but now FTL scratches a lot of that itch (though Transcendence is real-time action as opposed to the RTS-like combat of FTL)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sil - Forum
pre:
Into the vast and echoing gloom,
more dread than many-tunnelled tomb
  down awful corridors that wind
    down to a menace dark enshrined;
      down to the mountain's roots profound,
devoured, tormented, bored and ground
by seething vermin spawned of stone;
 down to the depths she went alone...

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: ASCII
Platform: Windows and Mac

Let's Plays: Not on this website.

Forks: Sil is a fork of Angband although it shares very little with Angband beyond the premise.

In Sil you play as an Elf (easy,) Dwarf (medium,) or Human (loving hard,) who needs to dive 100 floors down Morgoth's lair and steal one of the three Silmarils on Morgoth's crown. To accomplish this you need to master what is probably the best tactical combat system in any roguelike. Combat in Sil is pretty much the definition of easy to learn & hard to master and there are tons of extremely different ways to play so you can try something different after getting murdered a dozen times in a row. You can be a magic clad blender that dices everything, an archer singing songs of death and destruction while murdering everyone from across the room or a shadow on the wall that gets in and out of the dungeon with nobody the wiser. This game shares almost nothing in common with Anband so don't let its heritage scare you away, it is stripped down, intuitive and very fast to play. I'm having a hard time describing why exactly Sil is so much fun so I'm just gonna crib the paragraph that initially sold me on it.

'There are no wizards or priests, no platemail or magical scrolls. Instead, it is the Norse Saga inspired world that Tolkien imagined, with warriors clad in shining mail, singing songs of rage or sorrow as they slay. The magic of the world is subtle yet powerful: there are songs of fear and of binding, rather than spells of fireball and teleportation.'

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the write ups so far.

I've added Sil, UnReal World, Brogue, Elona, Cataclysm, Shiren, Powder, and LCS and moved some other stuff around.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Nice writeup. Just one important note, it's 20 floors, not 100! Sil is pretty short for a roguelike.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EvilMike posted:

Nice writeup. Just one important note, it's 20 floors, not 100! Sil is pretty short for a roguelike.

Pffft I think this means I haven't played Sil recently enough.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

To Add:

Hoplite (Android/7DRL); you've probably already heard of it.

This is a really cool little game. I really enjoy this type of more puzzle-like take on roguelikes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whats the goto character type for getting your first sil win?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sil is fun so far, although I think I might get a bit fed up with molds, wolves, and orcs being about all you run into on the upper levels. At least, they're all I've seen... except when I put on an amulet I found, and suddenly a wraith was following me around. A wraith usually found around 635 feet. When I was at ~100.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait for the next Dwarf Fortress update, it's literally Skyrim of Roguelikes (I only play it for the adventure mode).

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

For me it was a noldor who went for armoursmith + artistry, and made a bunch of high protection items. Basically just piled on as much protection as possible, and then meleed everything. Another easy start is if you pick jewelcrafting and make some rings of accuracy. Overall I think the races with smithing bonuses have the easiest starts because there's a ton of good items you can make.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sil is fun so far, although I think I might get a bit fed up with molds, wolves, and orcs being about all you run into on the upper levels. At least, they're all I've seen... except when I put on an amulet I found, and suddenly a wraith was following me around. A wraith usually found around 635 feet. When I was at ~100.
I think all the W enemies have the "territorial" AI, which means they only chase you if they can see you. Duck around a corner and you should be safe. I'm not sure if that applies to the ones spawned by haunted dreams though.

With all the orc packs and such, I find the game is a lot more enjoyable if you turn off the damage numbers that pop up... makes the combat go way faster. Stealth also lets you just avoid fighting them. Archers are still a pain in the rear end, if a bunch of them notice you the best thing to do is just abandon the level. Deeper floors tend to be a lot more varied, I think the first couple floors are the most boring ones.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Can't wait for the next Dwarf Fortress update, it's literally Skyrim of Roguelikes (I only play it for the adventure mode).

It is the best. I remember my first super powerful character (back when you could wrestle undead indefinitely to become superdwarvenly strong). Running through an elven village, getting filled with arrows while gouging everyones eyes out. Or desperately throwing a rock through a GCS's brain after it's bitten off your sword hand.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
What's the consensus on Don't Starve? Does that count as a roguelike?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

hito posted:

It's a roguelikelike, or whatever you want to call games like that. It's awesome! Most roguelikelikes are, actually.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

hito posted:

I'd say it counts and it's a lot of fun too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lawman 0 posted:

Smithing + enchantment is the easiest way to consistently get to 500 feet, but it kinda runs out of steam. I think the easiest way to actually win is as a stealth based archer.

silstreamer on Youtube has put together a (slightly dated but still relevant) serious of videos that will really show you how to play.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Hey I remember that Transcendence game in the OP! I played a lot of that a few years ago but now FTL scratches a lot of that itch (though Transcendence is real-time action as opposed to the RTS-like combat of FTL)

Yeah, enjoyed that game years ago. Is Transcendence still in development? I checked out the web site and the download linked version appears to be way out of date with the latest version they mention in the forum.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hito posted:

Does that count as a roguelike?

If you are asking "Is it okay to talk about this game in this thread?" the answer is always YES. If there is any possibility that a game could be considered a roguelike than you can talk about it in this thread because this is the roguelike megathread.

(We talked about Goblet Grotto for like five pages in the last thread.)

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah I'm down for being more inclusive in this thread because there are tons of cool games that use a lot of roguelike elements that I would miss out on if they weren't mentioned in here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MeramJert posted:

Smithing + enchantment is the easiest way to consistently get to 500 feet, but it kinda runs out of steam. I think the easiest way to actually win is as a stealth based archer.

silstreamer on Youtube has put together a (slightly dated but still relevant) serious of videos that will really show you how to play.

Expanding on this a bit, in the Middle Earth canon the only time anyone ever infiltrated Angband and stole a silmaril from Morgoth they did it with stealth. They didn't just power through Angband killing everything, and Sil sort of keeps that in mind by making stealth generally the most powerful thing in the game.

And remember, in Sil you get just as much experience for exploration and discovery as you do from killing things. So you can be pretty successful and get pretty far in the game with very little combat skill. I've never had much luck with a pure melee fighter after about 600 or 700 feet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

If you are asking "Is it okay to talk about this game in this thread?" the answer is always YES. If there is any possibility that a game could be considered a roguelike than you can talk about it in this thread because this is the roguelike megathread.

(We talked about Goblet Grotto for like five pages in the last thread.)

You don't happen to know when that might have started? I kinda want to know what the gently caress that game is smoking.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

dis astranagant posted:

You don't happen to know when that might have started? I kinda want to know what the gently caress that game is smoking.

If it helps, a lot of Goblet Grotto is commenting on and satirizing video games as a whole, especially games that stick to game tropes for no particular reason beyond nostalgic narrow-mindedness and lack of imagination. The goblets are stand-ins for gold coins - some arbitrary, outdated valuable object that is inexplicably desired by countless game characters.

Besides the Space Funeral guy, a lot of the conceptual design came from noted limitless imagery font J/Kat Chastain, who is a former goon.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 7, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MeramJert posted:

Expanding on this a bit, in the Middle Earth canon the only time anyone ever infiltrated Angband and stole a silmaril from Morgoth they did it with stealth. They didn't just power through Angband killing everything, and Sil sort of keeps that in mind by making stealth generally the most powerful thing in the game.

And remember, in Sil you get just as much experience for exploration and discovery as you do from killing things. So you can be pretty successful and get pretty far in the game with very little combat skill. I've never had much luck with a pure melee fighter after about 600 or 700 feet.

Yeah, the story of Beren and Luthien makes me think I should be dumping points into stealth and songs. It's been pretty fun watching orc patrols march right past me as I stealth along a wall.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dis astranagant posted:

Dinky Duck Race called it a roguelike here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518719&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post409849748

and no one questioned him until after playing the game at which point we had to talk about it anyway because Goblet Grotto.

Edit: Let me find the link post in the roguelike thread, sorry.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235469&pagenumber=157&perpage=40#post410184482

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, the story of Beren and Luthien makes me think I should be dumping points into stealth and songs. It's been pretty fun watching orc patrols march right past me as I stealth along a wall.

I actually can't imagine being able to just walk into the throne room and straight up kill everything. It's probably possible, but there's just so many powerful enemies crammed into a small room that it seems like a generally bad plan.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Unormal posted:

You should put Caves of Qud in the OP, because it's awesome and some goon made it. :colbert:

Yeah, it sure is an awesome goon-made game that'll be receiving updates when someone finishes up a commercial project that may appear in this thread at a later date.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'd say Don't Starve has enough to it to probably be vaguely interesting to roguelike fans, so some talk of it in the thread wouldn't be unwarranted. Doesn't exactly have a set 'endgoal', but the process behind it is all about survival and trying to avoid permadeath.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I thought rogue-lite became a term in the previous thread? Or maybe it was the rogue legacy thread? I'm not sure but it's a great term for roguelike-likes and shorter to write.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I am going to give Sil a try. I recall reading people talk about it back in the old thread, but I never gave it much attention. I read the manual and played the tutorial so far and I quite like how streamlined the whole system is. We'll see how well that translates into gameplay.

As for Dwarf Fortress - I haven't played this in years, is the adventure mode an actual thing these days? Cos I remember back when I played it was mostly there just for show.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jenx posted:

As for Dwarf Fortress - I haven't played this in years, is the adventure mode an actual thing these days? Cos I remember back when I played it was mostly there just for show.

Toady is working on making it into more of a fleshed out thing and has added some stuff. As someone said earlier, it'll more or less be an Elder Scrolls 'open RPG' kinda thing and not exactly an entirely 100% focused deal. With the level of detail it can give I'm actually kind of excited to see what it eventually turns into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Mylan posted:

Yeah, enjoyed that game years ago. Is Transcendence still in development? I checked out the web site and the download linked version appears to be way out of date with the latest version they mention in the forum.

Yes, went open source and are currently shifting through indev releases on the forum until a meaty one is arrived upon for the main page.

However, a new wrinkle emerges!

Corporate Command

http://neurohack.com/kronosaur/CorporateCommandIntro.html

quote:

In about two months, if all goes according to plan, I will release Corporate Command, the first paid expansion for Transcendence. This new expansion focuses on the Corporate Hierarchy and includes dozens of new features:

Three new player ship classes, including Makayev's famous Manticore class
New missions for the Corporate Hierarchy, including a few with Kate Morgental
Several new star systems and three new enemy sovereigns
And of course, lots of new armor, weapons, and treasures