Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am not closing voting for another hour, but it will close then.

I am thrilled to see we still have so many people following amd was afraid we would have lost most of our players during the brief interruption in service.

Hopefully we can pick up the folks we lost this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

B.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

I am thrilled to see we still have so many people following amd was afraid we would have lost most of our players during the brief interruption in service.

I was :f5:ing everyday. I am glad you got this CYAO up and running again.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

the_steve posted:

A
Enkidel has waited for what feels like weeks to have some adventure, and by Magical Sky God, he's going to get some adventure this night.
Besides, if we go tell on the grownups, they'll either say we had a bad dream, or the building will be gone when they come to humor us by looking.

This steve has the right idea.

Also, Diog, I've kept this thread bookmarked and used the intermission to read through Rivers. I'm now a lot more excited for this to continue.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
What's the worst that can happen? a

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting reopens! Commute related delay, we update tomorrow evening.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Jewcoon posted:

Adventure Time!

My thoughts exactly

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Voting B with no real explanation as to why.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

E

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Monkey races towards the odd structure and Danal chases after him. You in turn chase after Danal, for you, an eleven year old child from a small and remote village are a brave adventurer!

Your possession in this world consist of your loin cloth, the necklace of beads and shells the woman you once thought to be your mother gave you and the spear you borrowed when you left the camp.

Within the structure the stars seem to twinkle more swiftly almost as if they were gently flashing to some unseen musician, the moon glows even more brightly and it almost seems like day. You again hear the faint and distant sound of song or perhaps music such as you have never heard before, it is immensely beautiful and gives a vague sense of ease and calm, though it's source is not at all apparent, it seems to be coming from everywhere. Are the twinkling stars dancing to the tune?

In the center of the structure lay a platform of some sort about three feet wide, six feet long and three feet high. The platform or perhaps, table, is made of the strange not-stone like substance of which the rest of the rest of the structure is made of. On closer inspection the texture of the material is like tree bark, yet it looks as solid as stone. There are even little carvings all across it of creeping vines and leaves which seem to be moving across the surface.

Monkey scurries up the platform and looks up. An expression of either awe, shock or total bliss comes over Moneky's face and after a moment, he passes out.

Danal scoops up monkey and looks up, a large and obviously very happy smile is on his face and he begins to sway back and forth in synch with the odd sounds and twinkling stars. His eyes look a bit duller and he says nothing to you, highly uncharacteristic as he is rarely silent, ever speaking, even if you still dont understand what he says most of the time.

You feel a vague suggestion to dance and to be very happy but it is only vague and easily ignored if you do not wish to.

You look up. Despite having a clear roof from further away, you can see the stars from inside the structure as if the roof were not there at all. They seem to twinkle even more swiftly here and the beautiful sounds are getting louder. Looking up inside of the structure causes you to feel dizzy and disoriented and you feel as if there is much you do not see but vaguely feel at the edge of your awareness. The forest around you now feels as if it were further away and is almost blurry.

A number of odd things you have never seen before and cannot easily identify lay upon the platform in the center of the structure, placed in a beautiful and artful manner.

A bowl filled with strange balls the width of your thumb, made of gold or a gold like substance, a material you have never seen before.

A knife made of the same material.

Though you have no idea what a book is, a book made of the same material. Looking at the cover gives you a vague headache. Having no idea what a book is, it may as well be a block of the strange material.

A necklace with small beads made of some sort of blue stone. It is floating about a foot above the platform, the beads spinning slowly.

A simple and unadorned cup made of a green material, filled with what may be water.

A plate made of green stone with a fire atop it and no visible fuel source. There is no heat coming from it.

A statue made of all of the other materials about a foot and a half tall. It appears to be a seated human shaped figure with a human face and wings like a bird. You have never seen a statue so shockingly realistic before, having only seen simple idols in your village. If you did not know better, you could swear it was sleeping and snoring gently. Do you know better? The left half of the statue is incomplete and is still a block of stone. On closer inspection, the chest of the statue is rising and lowering gently.

A bow with no string, also made of blue stone.

A small statue of a winged lizard with sharp teeth, also half finished and also seemingly asleep and breathing. It is made of red stone, the back end of the statue is unfinished.

A flute made of white stone.

A large tooth as wide as your hand. It is made of black stone. It may be from a fish? It looks very sharp.

A pair of sandals made of white leather. You know what a sandal is, your people in the village did not use them but the Zepathans do.

A cup of white stone adorned with images of birds on it. It is empty.

According to your mothers stories the world is brimming with excitement and adventure and there is very literally monsters just over the next hill, kept away by sky giants and heroes. How much danger have you faced in the very short time since you left? Were your mother's stories meant to entertain(which they did) or are they an accurate description of what life is really like in the world beyond your remote, small and isolated village?

According to those same stories, it is a perfectly ordinary and common event for heroes to find treasure out in the wilderness, though it is sometimes a trap or guarded by monsters or cannibals, sometimes it is simply found in remote places unguarded. Sometimes it is a test by the sky giants of greed or other virtues or a reward. Sometimes it is wonderful treasure, sometimes it is cursed and the curse not obvious for years. According to your mother it is a known fact that priceless treasure can be found in the middle of nowhere. Normal people sometimes find treasure too, though they usually either then go on adventures, die to monsters, give it to heroes or kings or become heroes or kings or monsters by getting it, they never just keep it and stay normal people.

You decide that you want to...what? This is a freeform one as I dont want to suggest a path by presenting options here.

What do you want to do?

A reminder since we took a short break. Asking for more information about your surroundings, as well as information from your "father's" training or your mother's stories are a "free action" and answered as I have time between the main updates.

Actions and statements to others are generally something to be voted on but you can usually get questions answered by those you are currently interacting with as a "free action".

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Take the floating necklace and put it on!

I'm sure any courses of action that involve taking stuff will be cool though.

E: I'm certain these colors all represent different gods or whatever, but I'm not in a position to read back through the thread right now.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 8, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Ask ourselves. In all our fathers training and mothers stories, have we ever heard of treasure such as we see before us. Has any other hero or person encountered this similar place. What would our father suggest and what would our mother suggest.

But I'm also voting for the cup of water. Because we're thirsty damnit. And it reminds us of home, even though the cup is made out of strange poo poo. Water, the sea, etc, that is where we're from.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Loudly declare ourselves to be Enkidel and that we have come for adventure! Place our spear to be aimed right at the lizard's mouth and gently take the BOOK and KNIFE, which are true adventuring treasures!

Cautiousness and modesty!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Touch the statue before anything else and try to talk to it. I expect he might be a guardian of the treasures, or possibly a quest giver. Let's not be greedy and ask for permission first.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Let's wake up that statue and ask it what's up with all these weird things here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you take something, leave something in its place.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Poke the statue with your spear but not the sharp end

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Touch the statue before anything else and try to talk to it. I expect he might be a guardian of the treasures, or possibly a quest giver. Let's not be greedy and ask for permission first.

I think we should go with this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ask ourselves. In all our fathers training and mothers stories, have we ever heard of treasure such as we see before us. Has any other hero or person encountered this similar place. What would our father suggest and what would our mother suggest.
Your father would likely tell you that this is the work of demons and to offer it all to Asherah or run for your life. His training has a highly grim view of the rest of the world, when discussed, which it rarely was.

His training does not offer any useful tips for dealing with demons, but puts an emphasis that they are not as powerful as the gods of your people.

Forces beyond your peoples gods are all demons and dangerous but far far away and not as powerful as your own gods, mostly an afterthought.

The situation you are in now is similar to many stories your mother has told you. The common outcomes of those stories are described above. A structure like the one you are now in is not in the stories but sky giants are said to have immensely beautiful singing voices. As well as monsters which lure people to their doom with them.

General themes from your mother's stories seem like they may apply here, maybe, but none of the objects, nor the structure itself are readily identifiable in any of them as famous or known items.

Your mother, herself would want you to run from the possibility of danger or pray if you could not. In her stories, women and children are always saved in the end by others, but heroes, adventurers, kings and adult men sometimes die, non-hero/king/adventurers have the highest body count in her stories and are the primary victims who actually die, followed by adventurers.

Which are you tonight?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Gonna throw in with touching the statue (the human one) could this be a pantheon of some sort? We used to have a large tooth...

edit: I'm retracting this vote for now.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

my dad posted:

If you take something, leave something in its place.

Seems like potentially good advice.

I like the book, personally, but I don't know why Og/Enkindel would, he doesn't know what it is and, as said, would probably think it might as well be just a hunk of the weird material. Meanwhile, we have several things that seem to call out for notice, due to being particularly unusual:

A: A necklace with small beads made of some sort of blue stone. It is floating about a foot above the platform, the beads spinning slowly. (This one's floating, that's weird and intriguing).

B: A plate made of green stone with a fire atop it and no visible fuel source. There is no heat coming from it. (Magic fire, also unusual and intriguing. Also useful, fire without fuel, holy hell!)

C: A statue made of all of the other materials about a foot and a half tall. It appears to be a seated human shaped figure with a human face and wings like a bird. You have never seen a statue so shockingly realistic before, having only seen simple idols in your village. If you did not know better, you could swear it was sleeping and snoring gently. Do you know better? The left half of the statue is incomplete and is still a block of stone. On closer inspection, the chest of the statue is rising and lowering gently. (Well, obviously).

D: A small statue of a winged lizard with sharp teeth, also half finished and also seemingly asleep and breathing. It is made of red stone, the back end of the statue is unfinished. (Also a living statue thing, but much less impressive seeming than the other one).

E: A large tooth as wide as your hand. It is made of black stone. It may be from a fish? It looks very sharp. (Kay, this one's not obviously supernatural, but we'd notice it because, well, giant fish tooth seems familiar. We'd also probably be pretty uneasy about it though, since the whole attempted devouring.)

While A is interesting, it's magic is equalled by B, and B is more primal and useful, so I think it would outweigh A. Similar comparison between C and D, with C just being more impressive, and perhaps reminiscent of angels or whatnot from what's-her-name's stories? E, as I said, would catch Og's attention, but also be pretty offputting, I'm not sure if the kid is ready to go dealing with potentially Asherah-esque things again yet.

So between B and C ... Well, C takes immediate priority because we suspect it may well be alive, and so we're a little wary about it. We're not sure if we want to go picking stuff up or not, particularly before knowing whether or not this thing might object. So I say we consider picking up B (or C), but first try and address C.

Ask C if it's alive. Say something to it. Ask it if we can take that cool fire. If it doesn't respond, try to pick it up instead.

Speaking carried the added benefit of maybe causing Danal to react/snap out of it as well, so I see no down-side to at least trying it before anything else. Well, unless it breaks the spell or pisses something off, but that's just a chance we'll have to take.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

try to wake up the human statue by loudly saying (but not yelling) "Hello." Say it in our mother's language.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I'd like to know a few things. Does Enkidel notice the arrangement of the objects being significant in any way other than just being beautiful? Is there a pattern to the way they are placed? Do they correspond to the twinkling stars or give a feeling of "following" the song/sound?

Also see if we can focus through or around the stars and the blurriness; is there a reason everything looks strange such as a monster using some sort of mind-altering magic? Is there something the stars are hiding?

Ask Danal (as best we can considering the language barrier) what he's seeing and, if he also sees objects on the table, what everything looks like.

Finally, can we ask the sounds and stars (and maybe the objects themselves?) a few questions? I want to know what or who they are, whether they're representations of a higher power, if they're friendly, what the significance of the objects is, and whether or not we may take an item or two with us when we leave.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

I'd like to know a few things. Does Enkidel notice the arrangement of the objects being significant in any way other than just being beautiful? Is there a pattern to the way they are placed? Do they correspond to the twinkling stars or give a feeling of "following" the song/sound?

Also see if we can focus through or around the stars and the blurriness; is there a reason everything looks strange such as a monster using some sort of mind-altering magic? Is there something the stars are hiding?

Ask Danal (as best we can considering the language barrier) what he's seeing and, if he also sees objects on the table, what everything looks like.

Finally, can we ask the sounds and stars (and maybe the objects themselves?) a few questions? I want to know what or who they are, whether they're representations of a higher power, if they're friendly, what the significance of the objects is, and whether or not we may take an item or two with us when we leave.

There is no apparent connection between the placement of the objects and anything else except that it enhances the beauty and strangeness of each object. Everything seems beautiful and to play against each other, those objects and portions of the objects are moving, seem to be moving in tune to the music and twinkling of the stars.

The reason for the blurring is not apparent. You see nothing which you can clearly identify as a monster. You do not know enough about magic to know if any is involved or not.

The blurring effect is as if you were looking through squinted eyes, water or perhaps smoke, the trees seem somehow further away...

Wait...

What....?

You know how far you ran and you did not run far enough to be this far away from the treeline. As you look around you realize that the inside of this structure is several times larger than the out side, though the layout of the structure is the same. It is perhaps seven or eight times larger and taller on the inside. You have no apparent explanation for how this can possibly be the case except that it seems to be.

You can ask Danal, the stars, a statue or anything else question but I want to wait a bit to see what approach people want to take first, i.e. acting or talking.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
So the monkey (I forget, did we name it yet?) hears the music, looks happy and falls asleep. Danal seems to be happy, 'dancing' and sleepy, but not asleep. We are unaffected for some reason, or rather have a choice about it, but we could hear the music before they did.

Keep an eye on Danal and the monkey. Perhaps sit them down together at the entrance and tell Danal to watch over the Monkey, if he is not too far gone yet.

Don't touch anything yet. Watch a bit and see if we can detect any obvious differences between objects, or overall patterns (we were getting trained in minimal pattern recognition by Dead-Dad weren't we?). Listen for changes in the music while staying alert. Maybe not be touching and poking on the apparently living statue just yet. Look at the alien sky above. Moon?

I honestly don't think the first thing for us would be to get all acquisitive about the objects. We are still barefoot and wearing a loin cloth. True we have confronted the infinite hunger of Asherah, flown, etc., but we are still pretty naive. We have definitely never seen anything remotely like this have we?

(Personally I would like to examine the red lizard, white flute and the bow more closely, but who knows. Many of the these things might do anything at all.)

I am for speaking, or maybe even singing to the human-ish statue.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
So are there 13 objects exactly? How many people were traveling in our group?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So we did not climb the platform, right?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I want Enkidel to play with the fire for a bit. See how far he can get to the flame before feeling any heat and see if he can touch the flame without getting hurt. When he's done playing around he should drink the water from the unadorned cup, leave his fake mother's necklace at the shrine, and silently sneak back to camp.

This is probably some sort of inter-faith swap&meet. It'd be rude to take something without leaving anything in return.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

dyzzy posted:

So we did not climb the platform, right?
You did not climb it, no. Monkey did, Danal took him off it.

It resembles a large stone block, though the texture has an appearance like bark. It might be called an altar or a table but I did not want to imply a religious or non religious significance.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Speak a prayer to the Sky Gods (was it El? I forget) asking him for guidance. If no answer is forthcoming, attempt to communicate with the statue.

Let's see if we can get some info up in here before we do anything.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Lacking any better ideas, I say we just give in to the suggestion and be happy. Maybe we'll get some guidance.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ask ourselves if any of these objects or figures resemble important characters or items from the stories we've heard.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

UnassemblyRequired posted:

Ask ourselves if any of these objects or figures resemble important characters or items from the stories we've heard.

Or if the half-formed ones (humanoid and lizard) appear to be slowly petrifying further into blocks as we watch.

If so, I preemptively vote we back away immediately.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

UnassemblyRequired posted:

The small lizard may resemble a dragon or perhaps one of the monsters who attacked you?

The winged human shaped figure may be a sky giant, for they are said to have wings. They are also supposed to be big and muscular. The statue is beautiful, but not beefy.

A number of magical cups with a variety of properties are in her stories but nothing you know would indicate these are similar to them. Likewise, there is magical jewelry but nothing in the stories to tell you about the necklace.

The structure itself has no obvious resemblance to anything from your mother's stories.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

Or if the half-formed ones (humanoid and lizard) appear to be slowly petrifying further into blocks as we watch.

If so, I preemptively vote we back away immediately.
They do not seem to be becoming more or less stone and appear to be sleeping. As you should be, you are up well past your bed time young man!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2013

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diogines posted:

There is no apparent connection between the placement of the objects and anything else except that it enhances the beauty and strangeness of each object. Everything seems beautiful and to play against each other, those objects and portions of the objects are moving, seem to be moving in tune to the music and twinkling of the stars.

The reason for the blurring is not apparent. You see nothing which you can clearly identify as a monster. You do not know enough about magic to know if any is involved or not.

The blurring effect is as if you were looking through squinted eyes, water or perhaps smoke, the trees seem somehow further away...

Wait...

What....?

You know how far you ran and you did not run far enough to be this far away from the treeline. As you look around you realize that the inside of this structure is several times larger than the out side, though the layout of the structure is the same. It is perhaps seven or eight times larger and taller on the inside. You have no apparent explanation for how this can possibly be the case except that it seems to be.

You can ask Danal, the stars, a statue or anything else question but I want to wait a bit to see what approach people want to take first, i.e. acting or talking.

It's bigger on the inside. Find the Doctor.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I say this. Sky giants are suppose to be pretty chill right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This. Also voting to leave something in the place of anything we take--perhaps our necklace.