Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Try without addons, if its still broken, you're probably stuck in an A/B testing hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Eikre posted:

For some reason, all videos on Youtube are showing up left-justified instead of inline with description and comments. Ugly as hell.

Is this a known/fixable problem?

Are you sure you aren't using some Greasemonkey script or "Youtube improver" addon?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm having trouble displaying a preview of Twitter on the newtab-page. It's probably related to it being https? I googled for a solution a while ago, but the fix was dependent on a feature in about:config that has since been removed. Or something. Right now I just get a blank square, and that's a bit annoying.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

midnightclimax posted:

I'm having trouble displaying a preview of Twitter on the newtab-page. It's probably related to it being https? I googled for a solution a while ago, but the fix was dependent on a feature in about :config that has since been removed. Or something. Right now I just get a blank square, and that's a bit annoying.

That is by design. It won't show a preview of any https site.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Disgustipated posted:

I know this but is there any way to override it?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Disgustipated posted:

That's not the logic Firefox uses. It doesn't show previews of pages whose HTTP response headers include "Cache-Control: no-cache".

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The past day or two I've been getting a "The connection has been reset" message constantly, in searching for solutions someone mentioned changing my proxy settings to "No Proxy". I did that and the problem seems to have mostly cleared up, but I now would like to know: are there risks in setting it to "No Proxy"? I'm not very computer literate so I know this is probably a dumb question.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Beeez posted:

The past day or two I've been getting a "The connection has been reset" message constantly, in searching for solutions someone mentioned changing my proxy settings to "No Proxy". I did that and the problem seems to have mostly cleared up, but I now would like to know: are there risks in setting it to "No Proxy"? I'm not very computer literate so I know this is probably a dumb question.
A proxy is a server sitting between you and the Internet that all of your connections go through, it's definitely not normal to have that set. If you had a proxy set, it could mean that you have a malware infection or other bad software on the machine. The only real exception is if you are on a university or workplace network, where proxy servers are more common. Do you have any antivirus/firewall/Internet security software? If you have any running that is NOT from Microsoft uninstall it immediately.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So you know when you highlight a word or phrase then right clicking it you can do a "Search "searchengine" for word/phrase", is there a hot key I can use instead of the whole right clicking each time? I'd like to just highlight and press a button or a combo of buttons to open a new tab for the search result if possible.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Im_Special posted:

So you know when you highlight a word or phrase then right clicking it you can do a "Search "searchengine" for word/phrase", is there a hot key I can use instead of the whole right clicking each time? I'd like to just highlight and press a button or a combo of buttons to open a new tab for the search result if possible.
While not exactly a key combo, the Menu key (the key next to the right Windows key) followed by S will do this, just pretend it's Menu+S and don't hold Menu. Maybe someone else has a better answer though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Im_Special posted:

Honestly it's much easier to use the mouse to click the search button instead of transitioning back to the keyboard to do any key combos.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's amazing, I have literally never used that key in all my life and I've been using computers for at least 20 years, if only they were a bit closer together though for easier one hand usage, still much improved over the right clicking way.

^^ Oh man I just realized I can right click to open the menu and just press the letter S, amazed again. No more will I miss click and hit "view source".

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 29, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Pro-tip: The underlined letters when a menu appears are the shortcut keys to access those functions, this should work in any menu in any application. Underlines may be hidden until the Alt key is pressed, however.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A very pro tip indeed, since I'm learning lots of cool things maybe I can learn another, for when I do a new search with the right click + S combo it opens in a new tab and steals focus (puts me on that new tab) anyway to make it open passively in the background?

I know about the option setting Tools > Options > Tabs > [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately, which is indeed unchecked and this seems to work well for regular links, but bookmarks and this search engine search seem to ignore this rule.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

I know about the option setting Tools > Options > Tabs > [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately, which is indeed unchecked and this seems to work well for regular links, but bookmarks and this search engine search seem to ignore this rule.

In about:config, toggle browser.search.context.loadInBackground to true.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Awesome, that about:config never ceases to amaze me with what I can change about Firefox.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I'm having a really weird issue. I don't know if it is just coincidental, but it seemed to crop up shortly after upgrading to version 22. I am getting a text entry cursor (you know, the blinking vertical line) everywhere. I can click anywhere on any page and get the cursor blinking happily away right where I click. This is playing hell with my navigation, since I use pageup/down/home/end and the arrow keys to save wear on my mouse. It's really frustrating to press page down only to have the screen move back up to the top of the page, because that's where the text cursor is. Home is also ineffectual, moving the cursor to the beginning of the "line" the cursor is on.

I'd swear I've had this oddity before on an earlier version, but damned if I can remember what, if anything, I did to fix it, or if it just went away on its own.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Options > Advanced > General > Accessibility > Always use cursor key to navigate within pages

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

pseudorandom name posted:

Options > Advanced > General > Accessibility > Always use cursor key to navigate within pages

That box is checked. Should it not be?

EDIT: Yes, it should not be. Thanks so much!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I think this is a Firefox issue (I don't think I've seen it in Chrome but Chrome is also not my daily driver):

Sometimes when I click on a link, the page goes blank like it's loading it, but it never loads the page (or it takes forever). What fixes it is just hitting ctrl-R to refresh the page and then it loads instantly.

Any ideas?

Left Ventricle posted:

That box is checked. Should it not be?

EDIT: Yes, it should not be. Thanks so much!

You can also hit F7 to turn it on/off.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

I'm having trouble displaying a preview of Twitter on the newtab-page. It's probably related to it being https? I googled for a solution a while ago, but the fix was dependent on a feature in about :config that has since been removed. Or something. Right now I just get a blank square, and that's a bit annoying.

This should be fixed in Firefox 25. It'll show a thumbnail of the page as though you weren't logged in, so as to prevent privacy issues.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Avenging Dentist posted:

This should be fixed in Firefox 25. It'll show a thumbnail of the page as though you weren't logged in, so as to prevent privacy issues.

Ah, very cool, thanks. I only use Twitter to look at my public lists anyway, so should be about the same.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Im_Special posted:

Another way of doing it would be Ctrl-C, Ctrl-K, Ctrl-V, Enter. You can keep Ctrl held down all the time. Ctrl-K highlights the search box, a combo I use all the time. The majority of the time it's faster to just type a word instead of moving the mouse to highlight it.

fookolt posted:

I think this is a Firefox issue (I don't think I've seen it in Chrome but Chrome is also not my daily driver):

Sometimes when I click on a link, the page goes blank like it's loading it, but it never loads the page (or it takes forever). What fixes it is just hitting ctrl-R to refresh the page and then it loads instantly.

Any ideas?
A bit of a long shot, but I would guess the problem lies with your ISP and/or proxy. Tough to say though. I seem to recall having a similar problem 3-4 years ago, but that's not much help.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
Is there some way to store Panorama data elsewhere than in sessionstore.js/wherever? I love Panorama, but I'm sick of losing my groups (though it happens rarely, even once is one time too many).

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

New icon ahhhhh

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

New icon ahhhhh

They're pretty bad. The taskbar version (Win7) of Aurora's new icon looks especially horrible.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

astral posted:

They're pretty bad. The taskbar version (Win7) of Aurora's new icon looks especially horrible.

I'm a fan of the OSX version myself, very glowy

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there anyway to fix the thing that firefox does where you'll close it, then go to open it again later and it says it's currently running and not responding? It used to do this occasionally but now it does it nearly every time.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Do you use an SSD? This is probably caused by your PC being slow or slow harddrive, just a theory but try going into options and disable the "Clear History when FireFox closes" option, that could fix it.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

TabCloud got updated and is working again, if anyone was wondering :)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What's Firefox performance like on the Nexus 7?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's Firefox performance like on the Nexus 7?
Which Nexus 7, and what kind of performance are you interested in? For what it's worth performance is fantastic on my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, which is between the 2012 Nexus 7 and the 2013 Nexus 7 in performance. The big downside to the 2012 Nexus 7 is that it only has 1GB of RAM, which may run low when multi-tasking or when you have a lot of tabs open. You can use a task killer app such as Advanced Task Killer to help mitigate this (you probably shouldn't use auto-kill, but people who say that you shouldn't kill background tasks before launching apps don't understand Android memory management). You can also use zRAM/CompCache (advanced performance options) to help as well, this is the Google-blessed approach going forward. This is somewhat similar to using a pagefile to emulate RAM on a desktop machine. There may be some edge-cases where the nVidia graphics drivers aren't as good as Qualcomm, Imagination Tech, or ARM's drivers, but I haven't heard of this.

To expand/clarify a bit on the above, some of this is more appropriate for Inspect Your Gadgets but I already made this post:

Task Killers: Apps like Advanced Task Killer (ATK) are invaluable on Android devices that run low on memory. There's two things these apps can do: Kill background apps automatically or on a schedule, or manually upon demand. It should be obvious how letting ATK kill apps automatically could backfire, including causing you to lose data in an app you're using, or making background events not happen when expected. However, if your device is critically low on memory this may be the only thing that lets you use large foreground apps without force-quits or extreme slowdown. Manually killing all open and background tasks has essentially no downside, as it can give you a lot of breathing space in memory. Anything that should be running will relaunch itself, so this won't keep you from getting SMS notifications like I've seen reported. Some people argue that manually killing tasks isn't effective because the kernel can do a better job of managing memory, this is inaccurate. When you use a task killer you're not bypassing the kernel's memory management, you're simply causing the kernel to clear memory NOW, before you launch the app, rather than LATER, when that app is already slow from running low on RAM.

zRAM/CompCache: On a PC, when you run low on memory your least-recently-used data in memory is dumped to the pagefile to make room for new applications. Android devices don't have a pagefile (and their onboard flash memory is too slow to hold one), so when memory needs to be freed its contents are simply deleted. This can result in lost data, for example if you have a tab in your browser with a mostly-written post and load a high-memory site in a new tab, the old tab would be deleted and if you switched back to that tab the page would reload from the network and you'd lose your post. Google's solution is to use zRAM/CompCache, which reserves a portion of system RAM (1/8th to 1/4) as something like a pagefile. When memory needs to be freed, it is compressed and added to CompCache, when the CompCache fills the oldest entries are purged. This means that a substantial portion of the time when you go back to the tab you were using the memory can be retrieved from the CompCache rather than being lost. In effect, rather than having 1GB of RAM, you now have 768MB of RAM and a 256MB CompCache that can old 512MB of compressed data from memory, adding up to a device that feels more like it has 1.25GB of RAM than 1GB, and loses your data less often. If your device has WAY too little RAM (e.g. 512MB) adding a CompCache probably makes things worse, but on devices with an average amount of RAM it can help a lot, and on devices with lots of RAM it can make multi-tasking seem much more PC-like in terms of things not dropping out of memory unexpectedly.

On the Tegra 3 SoC: Tegra 3 is a quad-core CPU, but each core is not all that fast compared to modern (or even contemporary) chips, so things like loading webpages don't seem super fast. I'm not saying they are slow, just that going from a single-core 1Ghz to a quad-core 1.3Ghz Tegra does NOT mean at all that things are 5X as fast (in many cases it will be closer to 30% improvement than 500%). nVidia's graphics solution isn't awful but it is very different than what competitors ship, things should "just work" and usually they do but it's possible you might encounter issues caused by drivers, which would require an app workaround or OS update to fix. This actually isn't very relevant, I mostly included it to say that there might be Tegra-specific Firefox issues I've never seen or heard about.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Cheers for that. I'm specifically interested in UI and rendering performance on the original Nexus 7-type hardware. Last time I used Firefox on a device was in 2010 on my HTC Desire. 1GHz single core CPU, less than a gig of RAM.

Performance was awful.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That sounds like a Firefox issue that has since been fixed. Originally Firefox for Android used the same XUL-based user interface as desktop Firefox, which allowed the same powerful level of UI customization as on the desktop. The downside is that while the overhead to render the UI is miniscule on the desktop, it was a dealbreaker on mobile. The fix was replacing the XUL UI rendered in the browser with a native UI rendered by Android, which drastically improved performance and memory usage at a cost of customization and add-on compatibility. The other improvements in memory usage and I/O-related UI jank should also help a lot. That said, memory will still be your biggest limiting factor. On my old Galaxy Exhibit 4G (1Ghz single-core Scorpion, 384MB system RAM) I was constantly running low or entirely out of memory. I feel like with twice the memory or more the problems would be mostly fixed, and with 2GB of RAM I never notice running low at all.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Running on 384MB is brutal because most of it's already being used up by the OS (on my HTC Sensation this came in close to 300MB, as I recall); going up to 1GB triples the RAM, but much more than triples the amount available to apps (and it's further helped on a tablet, because a decent chunk of that 300MB was phone-related stuff that doesn't run on a tablet). My Sensation had 564MB RAM available to the OS/apps, and it was plenty for running Firefox (it was too easy to get it pushed out when switching to other apps, though).

There were a few Firefox performance issues that I ran into that have since been fixed (particularly with the Awesomebar). At this point, I'd expect OG Nexus 7 performance with Firefox to be pretty reasonable.

Side note: NAND performance on some of the newer devices (notably including the Nexus tablets) is good enough to support a page file. Of course, they also come with enough RAM that it's not very important to have one.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Firefox HTML5 video no longer has sound on this one Windows 8 box.

I hate Firefox.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

fivre posted:

Firefox HTML5 video no longer has sound on this one Windows 8 box.

I hate Firefox.

Got a link to a specific video?

I don't have a specific problem, but one web page I use quite a bit is Yahoo Smush it, and it's unuseable on Firefox.
Great on Chrome, but it times out and fails to upload on Firefox.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

wipeout posted:

Got a link to a specific video?

I don't have a specific problem, but one web page I use quite a bit is Yahoo Smush it, and it's unuseable on Firefox.
Great on Chrome, but it times out and fails to upload on Firefox.

Pretty much anything that Youtube doesn't force to be flash.

Seems like a more general issue with ogg audio maybe. http://html5zombo.com/ doesn't work either.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

fivre posted:

Pretty much anything that Youtube doesn't force to be flash.

Seems like a more general issue with ogg audio maybe. http://html5zombo.com/ doesn't work either.
Go to about :config, search for "media.", make sure none of the media.codechere.enabled prefs are set to "false". If that doesn't help, disable all other audio devices and see if that helps (not necessarily permanently, but in some occasions there can be bugs with streams getting sent to the wrong adapter and this would diagnose that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009
Firefox updated to 23 and it seems that plugins.click_to_play doesn't work anymore or did they change something and didn't bother telling about it?

Edit:

They did change it without telling, you have to change it in Addon Manager to Ask to activate in Shockwave Flash.

Turhis fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 7, 2013