Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Slime posted:

I vaguely recall some game where your guns had infinite ammo and you never needed to reload...until the DM decided the moment would be dramatic enough for you to run out. This often occurred to both you and your enemy at the same time, of course.

That's a good way of dealing with ammunition.

Paranoia works like this, but it's a comedy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Colonel Cool posted:

Huh! Those are even surprisingly sensible rules. I mean a high level character can probably go for like 3-5x as long as a real person could without food but it is high fantasy after all. It's nothing like the stupidness of the falling rules.

If there aren't any rules for vampires drinking blood you could probably just sub those starvation rules in for them.

There were some options in Libris Mortis, the 3.5e book on the undead. Basically, there's an optional rule where if the undead doesn't feed for a while, it has to make a will save, with a failure doing mental damage. If the undead takes enough mental damage, it goes into a frenzy and seeks out the closest source of food, only recovering once it has eaten.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

e X posted:

I guess in praxis this is handled the same way as ammunition. Who really has the nerve to keep track of every character's nourishment.

It only makes sense to worry about starvation if you are in a desolate area. If you are in a normal town or lush wilderness, you can probably just handwave it away because keeping your rations stocked up won't be challenging. Even when dungeon crawling you are killing plenty of animals that are probably edible, plus all the humanoid monsters must have a supply of food and water down there it just isn't mentioned because it isn't noteworthy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Slime posted:

I vaguely recall some game where your guns had infinite ammo and you never needed to reload...until the DM decided the moment would be dramatic enough for you to run out. This often occurred to both you and your enemy at the same time, of course.

That's a good way of dealing with ammunition.

That sounds a lot like filthy story-gaming to me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if a vow of poverty monk who no longer needs to eat becomes a vampire?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He'd violate the prerequisites for his Sacred Vow feat by becoming the undead.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

What if a vow of poverty monk who no longer needs to eat becomes a vampire?

He would lose the benefit of Vow of Poverty because he stopped being Exalted Good.

e: beaten

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

He'd violate the prerequisites for his Sacred Vow feat by becoming the undead.

That's racist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fool_of_sound posted:

He would lose the benefit of Vow of Poverty because he stopped being Exalted Good.

e: beaten

What if a helm of opposite alignment is paved on him at the exact moment he turns? And the helm has some curses on it decreasing its net value to zero.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

What if a helm of opposite alignment is paved on him at the exact moment he turns? And the helm has some curses on it decreasing its net value to zero.

Your DM kicks you out of the game.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Sleight-of-hand check and knowledge arcana check to figure out the exact moment of turning. If either fails their ludicrously high DC, you're just fuckin' around and it does nothing. Also, a Exalted Vow of Poverty character more than likely has taken a feat that makes it really hard for him to turn Vamp.

Edit for clarity: Sleight of hand check and K:A check must be made by the same character, simultaneously. Having two characters do it slows things down to the point that you cannot make the successful check.

'S what I'd say as a DM.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 7, 2013

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Do curses even reduce the value of an item? That seems exploitable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Colonel Cool posted:

Do curses even reduce the value of an item? That seems exploitable.

Well who the hell would pay money for something so cursed?

E: Then again, it would have "value" for the purpose that it would be useful to this Vampire Monk.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Sleight-of-hand check and knowledge arcana check to figure out the exact moment of turning. If either fails their ludicrously high DC, you're just fuckin' around and it does nothing. Also, a Exalted Vow of Poverty character more than likely has taken a feat that makes it really hard for him to turn Vamp.

Edit for clarity: Sleight of hand check and K:A check must be made by the same character, simultaneously. Having two characters do it slows things down to the point that you cannot make the successful check.

'S what I'd say as a DM.

Riiiight.... but if they did it it would totally work right?

This kind of thing is of course idiotically ludicrous for some PC to just spend time doing, but it would be a hella interesting loophole for a questgiver NPC.

"What do you mean there are no good vampires? Some of us have gotten past that whole alignment biased diet problem thank you."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, are there some sort of creatures, magic, or whatever that make curses into positive effects (probably with the trade-off of buffs/positive enchants acting like curses)?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ok, create hundreds of thousands of helms of opposite alignments and flood the market with them, reducing its market value below 1 go. Alternatively steal all the gold in the world except one piece, making 1 gp able to buy anything.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like the way filthy storygame Dungron World handles ammo. Paraphrasing, you only mark down ammo on a ranged weapon as a cost for not rolling well and still getting a hit.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Regalingualius posted:

Well, are there some sort of creatures, magic, or whatever that make curses into positive effects (probably with the trade-off of buffs/positive enchants acting like curses)?

One of the examples of curses in the DMG is a cursed wand of lightning bolt that heals instead of hurting, which is a very effective source of healing for an arcane caster to carry around as it heals for 5d6 damage per shot in a 120-foot line.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Man, I haven't played D&D for almost twenty years, but when I did my older brother was always the DM and he was an ammo and encumbrance nazi. So much so that no one ever wanted to play a character with a ranged weapon because of it. Playing a character and not having to worry about ammo is an...invigorating thought.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Midniter posted:

Playing a character and not having to worry about ammo is an...invigorating thought.

Having to worry about ammo is an abhorrent thought :v: Back when we played, we just had it so players had to spend some gold in town "restocking". Mages got their physical components, archers got their arrows and / or bullets etc and then they just had them. If you wanted better stuff, you had to pay more, so material costs weren't completely trivialized but didn't get in the way of a good story either.

And man, I really hope Durkon properly joins the party. He was my favourite character. Well, aside from Belkar's cat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So is there a book of vile darkness vow of wealth monk? Who loses his powers if he doesn't wear the finest silks, the most austentateous jewelry, drink the finest wines, and treat the peasantry like trash? Wanna play that monk.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It all sounds great on paper, but the Book of Exalted Deeds and the Book of Vile Darkness are some of the worst books ever written for 3.5.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Who What Now posted:

It all sounds great on paper, but the Book of Exalted Deeds and the Book of Vile Darkness are some of the worst books ever written for 3.5.

Who What Now posted:

Are you saying a book with the spell "Mindrape" might not be the best written splatbook?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

greatn posted:

So is there a book of vile darkness vow of wealth monk? Who loses his powers if he doesn't wear the finest silks, the most austentateous jewelry, drink the finest wines, and treat the peasantry like trash? Wanna play that monk.

I played in a campaign where a friend of mine played a homebrew "bling monk" that was similar. He alway wore the finest clothes, the flashiest jewelry, and he masquerades as a merchant. The main perks of his class were that appraise and profession:merchant became class skills, and he got a chance to dazzle one target per encounter as a free action by focusing his bling.

He basically just converted his share of all the loot into flashy version of everything. Enchanted ring sets that acted as flaming gloves, enchanted giant emerald that was an amulet of natural armor, enchanted heavily jeweled belt of strength, a hideously expensive robe with a wisdom bonus, etc.

He also had some stuff just for role playing flair from random rolled loot, like a mug that kept his drink cold, and jeweled boots of something (that was no help to him) and a random scepter worth 10,000 gp that he used to flash on the street and start street fights with thugs.

Those were the funniest encounters, the DM would voice the guys who thought they were jumping a rich merchant, who would then disarm them, run out of reach, and then spring attack with flaming fists until they fled in terror.

So, just make your own wacky class and have fun with it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

greatn posted:

Nope. Sacred Vow's [vile] equivalent was Self Mutilation, in that it was a feat that required a specific double alignment and only granted a tiny bonus to interacting with certain outsiders and unlocked other feats. But all the feats Self Mutilation unlocked were total poo poo: Things like Morbidly Obese (+2 con, -2 dex) or Something Meaning Super Skinny (+2 dex -2 con) and some other feats with even smaller bonuses. The only good feat in the BoVD was Lichloved, where you spent so much time banging a corpse that all undead thought you were also undead.

E: Just remembered Lichloved had as a prerequisite the feat Evil Brand, where you swore your loyalty to a dark lord by tattooing Dickbutt somewhere on your body. Which meant you couldn't be lichloved for the love of sexing corpses, you had to do it for The Man.

The Book of Vile Darkness was pretty poo poo.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 7, 2013

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nope. Sacred Vow's [vile] equivalent was Self Mutilation, in that it was a feat that required a specific double alignment and only granted a tiny bonus to interacting with certain outsiders and unlocked other feats. But all the feats Self Mutilation unlocked were total poo poo: Things like Morbidly Obese (+2 con, -2 dex) or Something Meaning Super Skinny (+2 dex -2 con) and some other feats with even smaller bonuses. The only good feat in the BoVD was Lichloved, where you spent so much time banging a corpse that all undead thought you were also undead.

E: Just remembered Lichloved had as a prerequisite the feat Evil Brand, where you swore your loyalty to a dark lord by tattooing Dickbutt somewhere on your body. Which meant you couldn't be lichloved for the love of sexing corpses, you had to do it for The Man.

Poor Tsukiko. All she wanted was to be loved.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Okay, you say that, but goddamn if I didn't get an amazing character concept from it.

Picture it: You're an evil son-of-a-bitch. You're going to bring the world to heel with your undead hordes! So you work for years to become a master of Necromancy, and then work for years more until finally you manage to cut a deal with a real Dark Lord. Oh yeah, that's ultimate evil power now. gently caress yes, gonna conquer everything.

"How shall I serve you, infernal Master?"

LOOK, THIS IS AWKWARD.

"No task is too vile! Let us set the world ablaze!"

YEAH, NO... ALL RIGHT. THERE'S THIS LICH CHICK I CREATED A FEW CENTURIES AGO AND Y'KNOW, HAD SOME GOOD TIMES, BUT... ANYWAY, SHE'S CLINGY. LIKE, REALLY CLINGY.

"Okay?"

SO, UM, I NEED YOU TO gently caress HER.

"What."

I FIGURE IF SHE'S GETTING IT REGULAR SOMEWHERE ELSE, SHE'LL GET OVER ME. ANYWAY YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT, GET TO WORK.

So every day you have to go and screw this loving dead girl. Because it's your job. And you hate it. And you hate the dark motherfucker who gave you your incredible hellpowers. And you're actually starting to hate the entire Forces of Evil now.

Tell me you wouldn't want to play that guy, having turned to the side of good just so he can destroy every last demon he sees, because HOW IS THAT THE loving JOB YOU GIVE ME, HOLY poo poo, YOU HAVE THIS COMING SO BADLY.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, no, I'm good never role-playing a dude who puts his dick in something dead. No, really, it's all yours.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lichloved is the worst because there's always some guy who thinks he can spin it so it's awesome.

No. No you cannot.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, you say that, but goddamn if I didn't get an amazing character concept from it.
Thats the stupidest poo poo I've read all day. Far less interesting an idea than just wanting to gently caress corpses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is the worst derail. The worst because it naturally leads to wondering, "how do you even have sex with a lich?" Nothing good can come of it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GEE I HOPE RICH IS OKAY

Please be okay

please

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Angela Christine posted:

"how do you even have sex with a lich?"

With a pro-phylactery?

...I'll show myself out, now.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ZnCu posted:

With a pro-phylactery?

...I'll show myself out, now.

A whorecrux.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

fool_of_sound posted:

Your DM kicks you out of the game.

Am I the only one to think it amusing that this was Fool's last post before getting put on probation?

Anyway, back to the strip. Though I still think it possible that he'll get driven off by the rest of the Order with Roy out of commission, the more I think about that quote about Rich wanting Durkon to go vampire since strip #4, comin' up on ten years ago now, the more I think he'll stick with the group, at least for a while.

The comedic elements and dramatic tension of having an evil Durkon in the group outweigh the strictly game balance problems that I'd been considering earlier. After all, while in a real game it would suck to have one player get a huge increase in power while leaving everyone else in the dust, that isn't actually a problem here as there are no real players to offend. Besides, the power imbalance itself could lead to some interesting stories.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

This is the worst derail. The worst because it naturally leads to wondering, "how do you even have sex with a lich?" Nothing good can come of it.

If anyone tries to explain this I swear god I'll buy them a goblins avatar.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shwqa posted:

If anyone tries to explain this I swear god I'll buy them a goblins avatar.

Anyone who would explain that would love a Goblins avatar. They'd spread further pain just by posting.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
All this talk about the Staff having limited charges makes me wonder: I could have sworn it was possible to create a magical staff that could cast a spell a certain number of times PER DAY, forgoing charges entirely. Was that homebrew/splatbook territory, or was it actually possible?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

The lich just needs to get his bone on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Magic fingers...