Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They appear like regular council decisions, except that the one proposing it is the ONLY one in favour of it, and often, the decisions seem pretty far out - like the Imp request to desecrate the Elven burial grounds

Speaking of desecrating the Elves, I really hate Oberon. So I just beat the game again with the intent of doing everything in my power to infuriate him. I turned Lohanna against him, I let the Imps have their way with their desecration-based explosions, and I even got the quest chain with Scarlett where she wants to behead the archduke witchfinder. I just put it on Casual and Risk-fought my way through everything.

Oh man, that felt good. And Lohanna's a lot cooler once she's out of her bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Ophelia (undead princess) story-line: Wow, so letting her murder some nameless lady off screen so she can steal a new body is pretty... dark.

If you decide to not do it they offer you a nicer option.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 7, 2013

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

upcoming dragon commander patch

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any word on how us folks on the GOG version (still on 1.0.10.0) can manually patch up to what Steam patch version is (and get upcoming as well)?

I checked Larian forums but wasn't able to find a patch list with downloads.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Wow, that's fantastic about the faction-specific decisions. This game has an incredible amount of content for a game that has so many different aspects to it. Time to start my socially-regressive horrible facist monster dragon playthrough and see what happens. It'll be really odd to get praised by the dwarf, I don't think him and I ever agreed.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
When they say Hard, they mean HARD. The enemy in Chapter 1 may be limited in terms of unit types, so they’re spending those research points to buff their troops, and that is scary-effective. Masses of troopers converting or attacking my points, and going Kamikazi, Warlocks loaking and polymorphing. On Normal I think I lost 1 battle total in Chapters 1 and 2 combined, and I’ve already lost 3 in Chapter 1. I finished Chapter 1 in 8 turns on Normal, and I’m on Turn 12 on Hard and the enemy still holds half the map.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is there any benefit to acceding to their requests? Do you get something for having 100% favor?

I'm not sure. I'm trying to find out though. I'm going for the Undead faction arc on my playthrough, mostly to get it over with, and it's making me really hate myself.

You can reach 100% favour with a race without doing faction arc stuff. That alone doesn't seem to grant you any special bonuses, though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just beat it.

Decided prerelease I'd play to my own political views, which looked like the Elves upfront. So when the Princess choice came up, I married Camilla, since I still assumed the Lizards were Libertarians FYGM guys like we assumed earlier in the thread.

Instead ended up quickly maxxing out both her/Lizard approval, and somehow hitting both those storylines. Elves ended around 75% approval. Probably could have gotten that higher, but gently caress Oberon. Near the end, I just started siding with the Imp Councilor to gently caress with him.

About to start a new game on the Imperial Edition map. Do the skirmish campaign maps have all the choices as well, or is that campaign only? Think I'll probably go Imps/Dwarves next, and then maybe just pure Elves. I'm not sure I can max out the Undead without hating myself, judging by some of their later game choices.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rookersh posted:

About to start a new game on the Imperial Edition map. Do the skirmish campaign maps have all the choices as well, or is that campaign only? Think I'll probably go Imps/Dwarves next, and then maybe just pure Elves. I'm not sure I can max out the Undead without hating myself, judging by some of their later game choices.

You still get the political decisions and such with a Custom campaign. It just cuts out the first and last chapters of the storyline campaign and you play on a single map of your choosing.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

They do have the same political choices, and also holy poo poo the undead are just awful.

edit: Also, I really like the little wrinkles each of the councilors have that make them more than just flat caricatures. Was not expecting the dwarves to be opposed to not-gun control.

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 7, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You still get the political decisions and such with a Custom campaign. It just cuts out the first and last chapters of the storyline campaign and you play on a single map of your choosing.

Including the marriages and everything? Because it sucks to have to rebuild my armies, cards etc. each Act.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So what's the anti-farming mechanism?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CommissarMega posted:

Including the marriages and everything? Because it sucks to have to rebuild my armies, cards etc. each Act.

When you start a custom campaign, you pick your Dragon, you pick your wife, then you pick your map.

Judging my the warning texts, the anti-farming mechanism will have thieves steal some of your accumulated gold or imps your accumulated research points. How much, I don't know.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

When you start a custom campaign, you pick your Dragon, you pick your wife, then you pick your map.

Bueno :) One more question- can we upgrade to Imperial Edition later? I'd like the soundtrack, but I only got the regular edition.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Like a few others, this game has reminded me that I'm really bad at real-time strategy. It's been so long since I've played one that I keep instinctively mashing space to pause in the middle of every fight. Thankfully, turning the difficulty down to easy makes the fights bearable, and even a little fun once I get my dragon out.

The rest of the game is incredible, though, and I'm really impressed with how much work they put into the faction stuff. I've only played a couple of hours so far, but I'm really excited to get deeper into the campaign, and I can definitely see myself replaying the game a few times.

I also got a foil card drop on Steam, which I was able to unload instantly for $12.00. Considering I got the game from the Original Sin Kickstarter, that's pretty awesome.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm actually having the complete opposite effect on hard. The AI is so far ahead in research at timse that I have to really focus on overall strategy and build proper starting armies (or spam good mercenary cards). When it comes to the RTS portion, I can usually win 20 vs 80% odds if I can hold out for the dragon.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
How are the controls when you get your dragon out? Can you use a controller for that part?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, having Devastation as a passive ability and popping the Breach Fire breath ability makes Transports your bitch. It's so satisfying when you sink a small convoy that was trying to flank your base with some armor and devastators.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CommissarMega posted:

Bueno :) One more question- can we upgrade to Imperial Edition later? I'd like the soundtrack, but I only got the regular edition.

Yes, later on.

McCoy Pauley posted:

How are the controls when you get your dragon out? Can you use a controller for that part?

I'm not sure what controller support there is. They're smooth and responsive with mouse and keyboard. Probably better with Mouse and keyboard because it's easier to aim, and you will want precise aim, whwether for enemies or targeting buff spells.

Ha, I'm playing the campaign the opposite of the way I was before, and I came to a decision where one of my generals wanted me to ban a scientific publication. Last time I decided not to do that, and this time I did ban it, but the results were not what I was expecting!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Even if the controller were supported, I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort to use it, just because mouse & keyboard is so plainly superior for the rest of the gameplay. The effort of switching back and forth between controller and M & K every time you want to bring out the dragon seems like it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth (especially since the dragon controls just fine with a the mouse and keyboard, as Stabbey pointed out).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Personally I still can't get used to the hotkeys in dragon form. I just frequently shift in/out, which is probably perfectly fine since it makes dodging the zillion AA missiles easy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish I could play this but I went through the Larian Vault and because of something happening as the data is being transferred the installation freezes at a certain file. Larian commented on it but they can't seem to find a solution, so I guess I'll just have to wait until they fix it. I sure hope they don't have this lovely problem when Original Sin comes out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Personally I still can't get used to the hotkeys in dragon form. I just frequently shift in/out, which is probably perfectly fine since it makes dodging the zillion AA missiles easy.

My one problem with shifting in and out is how touchy the game is about the "you must be near friendly units to spawn your dragon". Hey man, I have a guy selected, why not just spawn me over them?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Jimbot posted:

I wish I could play this but I went through the Larian Vault and because of something happening as the data is being transferred the installation freezes at a certain file. Larian commented on it but they can't seem to find a solution, so I guess I'll just have to wait until they fix it. I sure hope they don't have this lovely problem when Original Sin comes out.

I had the same problem with the Vault installer.

If you have it on the Vault shouldn't you also have a Steam key though? I mean, I can understand not wanting to install Steam if you don't have it, but just pointing that out.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Faction decisions are not explicitly labelled as such. They start appearing once your favour with a race hits 85%. They appear like regular council decisions, except that the one proposing it is the ONLY one in favour of it, and often, the decisions seem pretty far out - like the Imp request to desecrate the Elven burial grounds, that was a faction decision. They give a larger-than normal approval bonus and a larger-than normal approval penalty.

What do you get from the exactly? I got Imps to 100% and they wanted to dig up a grave site to make some giant bomb. As a former Combat Engineer myself it was a tempting prospect but it seemed pretty silly, not to mention everyone else was against it.

Had a similar thing with Elves. Wanting me to make all my war machines environmentally friendly. I dismissed the idea completely out of hand based on the pure idiocy of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Aren't the spells that heal or increase damage for a single unit pretty worthless? I mean, this is blob tactics at its finest, so what's one unit able to do that the other twenty or thirty can't?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Drifter posted:

Aren't the spells that heal or increase damage for a single unit pretty worthless? I mean, this is blob tactics at its finest, so what's one unit able to do that the other twenty or thirty can't?

Yeah, I haven't found any of the single target powers to be worth a drat. Even if you use them on a Juggernaut it's a tiny overall benefit. AoE, Passives and Auras are where it's at. I also use the spell that turns your breath weapon into a heal beam for 10 seconds, good for focus healing my Jugs when those stupid Warlock Swarms show up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Calihan posted:

What do you get from the exactly? I got Imps to 100% and they wanted to dig up a grave site to make some giant bomb. As a former Combat Engineer myself it was a tempting prospect but it seemed pretty silly, not to mention everyone else was against it.

Had a similar thing with Elves. Wanting me to make all my war machines environmentally friendly. I dismissed the idea completely out of hand based on the pure idiocy of it.

What's the Undead faction decision? So far, the only one I actually agree with is the Lizard decision, in which they want to set up a Republic, and then a full-fledged democracy with an elected leader. It was hilarious approving the decree for my own dismissal.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is anyone else seeing Dragon Commander patch like 10 times this morning?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rascyc posted:

Is anyone else seeing Dragon Commander patch like 10 times this morning?

I did- it might be doing something to my custom games, as I can't partake in them personally without crashing :( Guess I'll just go to bed and recheck tomorrow after Eid celebrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Welp, I finished my first game at around 19 hours. It gave me that same Xcom feeling where I just want more of everything. I would totally pay for imp princess and more social issues

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

What's the Undead faction decision? So far, the only one I actually agree with is the Lizard decision, in which they want to set up a Republic, and then a full-fledged democracy with an elected leader. It was hilarious approving the decree for my own dismissal.

To be fair, you set up a Democracy with no term limit, and you just finished saving the world/have popular support. You'll still rule for life, your children just won't be able to kill you to rule.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And to think, I've been meticulously slaving to find common ground and raise my approval with every faction at once when I really should have just focused on pandering one councilor's brains out.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Skippy McPants posted:

And to think, I've been meticulously slaving to find common ground and raise my approval with every faction at once when I really should have just focused on pandering one councilor's brains out.

Plus, if you get one faction up to that threshold and then start denying their requests that no one else likes you can start ending up with everyone at pretty decent levels at least.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Well gameplay wise it's more logical to spread out common favor, I think. Population support in countries isn't something you can completely ignore, is it?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Well gameplay wise it's more logical to spread out common favor, I think. Population support in countries isn't something you can completely ignore, is it?

You can do that, it also helps to watch the strategy map to see what races you need the most. Not much use instituting an inquisition to make the undead happy if they're all the way across the map from you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Are there enough political/social decisions in this game such that you'd be unlikely to see all of them in the course of a normal length single playthrough, or will you generally see all of them (if not necessarily in the same order) in each game? It'd be great for replay value if you could keep uncovering new stuff in subsequent play throughs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Anyone know why I am winning rts rounds when I haven't destroyed any enemy buildings?

Can you win by killing most of the troops or something? I don't know what my win-game is.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are there enough political/social decisions in this game such that you'd be unlikely to see all of them in the course of a normal length single playthrough, or will you generally see all of them (if not necessarily in the same order) in each game? It'd be great for replay value if you could keep uncovering new stuff in subsequent play throughs.

You won't see all the political decisions in a typical playthrough. Heck, I've been through it twice I still haven't seen Catherine's storyline. I think it started on the last turn of the game for me last time.

On a second run through there will be repeats but you should get some variety in there. Plus each faction has its own set of specialized requests with higher-end rewards and cards when you get their approval up high enough. I think it would be difficult to get more than one faction topped out per game unless you reject some of their proposals once they're at the top to boost other factions and/or milk the number of turns at the end of map 2.

Drifter posted:

Anyone know why I am winning rts rounds when I haven't destroyed any enemy buildings?

Can you win by killing most of the troops or something? I don't know what my win-game is.

I can honestly say I still don't know either. It seems to be a combination of troop strength and map control which varies as the game goes on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Drifter posted:

Is the population depleted and you've killed their army, or are otherwise at a massive advantage? I know that there's some kind of loss condition where your population is below 10%.

quote:

Changelist for version 1.0.18
Hi everybody,

We just released a new update which does a number of fixes and also introduces a more challenging "hard"' mode. In "hard' the strategy map unit layout and map layouts are a bit different now and the AI will also try harder to destroy you. For full effect, you need to restart the game in "hard' as changing modes during the story campaign will not affect the current strategy map.

Tomorrow we're planning on releasing an update that adds customization of the custom story campaign game rules (like in multiplayer) as well as a number of new battle scenarios for the custom story maps.

- Fixes for users having problems starting the game because of unsupported resolutions
- Fix for the game crashing when pressing the continue button in the main menu
- The continue button will only load campaign savegames
- Sorting of savegames is correct now
- Several fixes to achievements
- Hard difficulty is a bit harder now
- The strategy maps will scale according to difficulty setting
- Several fixes for users experiencing NAT punchthrough failures
- Better detection of recommended graphic settings + added warning when setting the graphic settings too high for your system specs

Have fun!

I'm not sure if I should keep going. I'm playing on the pre-patch Hard, and it is HARD.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
"Several fixes for achievements" makes me smile. There are a few I know I've triggered but without notification. How many different opportunities do you have to send in Rangers, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Can the enemy ai run out of population during a battle too?

• Locked thread