Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm really loving confused about that, because the chapter seems to be entirely different from the English portion. What's up with that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

People repeating 2-chan/futaba/4-chan fake spoilers. It doesn't look like they get any where close in the raws.
They may be poo poo or somebody just says it, though.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Unless there are a bunch of pages missing from the end of that, I think it's safe to say those are fake. It reads like joke speculation for the next chapter. And who the hell is Jazz? I don't remember anyone who wears a mask.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Quick translation is out:

http://readms.com/read/attack_on_titan/48/2012/1

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I liked this exchange in the anime thread:

DrSunshine posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Genocyber posted:

Attack on Titan is a zombie apocalypse story where the zombies are giants.
No, it's a giant robot story where the giant robots are zombies. :colbert:
Pshaw. What kind of giant robot story is it if the robots can't combine?!
The walls :cawg:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hot drat, that is a fine crazy eyed rage Mikasa has got going on there.

And, reading this, I've realised that I don't even care what Bert and Ernie are about anymore. I just want them to die.

Jeeze, Eren, calm down.

And yeah looks like some fake spoilers were out.

I think from what we saw with the attempt to capture the female titan, as well as how normal titans acted around Eren, Erwin knows that the human titans are a target for normal titans as well as humans, so he's led the titans here to attack them. I'm surprised at how talkative Mikasa was. I guess it's cause they need Historia, or she'd likely have just killed her when she saw she was on Ymir's side.

Is this the most lines Bert has ever had?

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 7, 2013

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Love the line that the number of people Mikasa could care about was fixed 6 years ago :)

That said... wow. We got some answers this chapter, for sure. And Irvin made a very smart play at the end there.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Jesus Christ Irving. What a guy.

Mikasa was, indeed, unusually talkative. I guess she likes Historia, because normally she'd have already gone full murder-buddha by now.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Came in from the anime, finally just went ahead and read the manga to figure out what was up with the female titan. The anime did make it pretty easy to figure out who it was, so it wasn't a huge shock - I think it would have been more so if I would have just been reading the manga. That being said drat, what a time to catch up. The anime fandom is going to go insane when they reveal what is up with the armored and colossal titans. Do we know yet where this season of the anime is going to end? I saw people talking about a natural stopping point, but I shot gunned the manga down so fast its all blurring together now for me.

Also now I understand why my friend laughed when I asked him to spoil what was in the basement for me at the start of the anime. :downs:

I'm really glad I stuck with this series, I had written it off after the first few episodes of the anime for being too melodramatic, but drat, it got me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think that final page is more implying that Erwin is trying to silence people who could give answers or change the status quo, rather than save Eren.

Gotta say there is going to be a pretty epic battle next chapter. You might even say, :iamafag: Titanic?

lovely puns aside I like that Historia and Ymir both acknowledge that Mikasa will kill Ymir if she resists.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 7, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 30, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After reading this chapter I still think that Bertholdt/Reiner's reason for doing what they did will be something understandable (though not necessarily right; more that it'll be morally ambiguous). I don't believe the characters are evil, and their actions will probably come off as morally ambiguous in the end. Keep in mind that countless civilians die in actual wars, but those wars are still sometimes necessary.

I'm hoping things go in a direction that somehow involves the main characters going with Reiner/Bertholdt to wherever they're from.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gally posted:

I'm really glad I stuck with this series, I had written it off after the first few episodes of the anime for being too melodramatic, but drat, it got me.

Attack on Titan is melodramatic AS gently caress. At times, it borders on parody. The way the anime has stretched things out and treated several scenes to an epic overhaul (lightning, slowmo, dramatic walking...) didn't do it any favors on that front. It just seems way more tolerable as a comic.

It's really weird. This manga seems to be full of dialogue that is awesome to read, but actually cumbersome and overwrought when acted out. Felt similar about Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - the final scene with Mustang and Envy was probably the most painful dialogue I've ever witnessed in anime...

Maybe an official translation will be better about this? :shrug: I dunno.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

It's just the screenwriters and directors being too literal. It's the same reason the adaptations of Dune always suck, because so much of the book is internal monologue. Introspection is very hard to make entertaining in real-time (as opposed to a book where you read as fast as you think).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I kind of wish Eren and Misaka would take more of a backseat to the rest of the cast. They're just so one-note and unlikable compared to the more complex human-titans and the mysterious background of Christa and how she fits in to the politics of that world. Misaka's murderface can be pretty badass, I guess, but she and Eren are basically leaving their empathy at the door for anyone who doesn't agree with them, which makes them worse than soldiers following orders or animals following their instincts. They're making a choice not to give a poo poo and that makes them worse than any titan we've encountered. It wouldn't be so bad if there was actual depth to those characters, but there isn't and they're so one-note it's just boring.

When Eren got gagged last issue I was happy as heck because now the grown-ups can talk and give up some exposition and character moments instead of "I'LL MURDER DEATH KILL EVERYONE MURDER KILL KILL KILL RAGE"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 30, 2017

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hate to say it, but the female titan's identity was much less obvious because the manga has pretty inconsistent art. And as for the ending, I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 34. It's the most logical stopping-point, since the current arc(s) begin immediately afterwards.

I really hope they end it with this page right here. Especially if they end up waiting a year or two before doing season two of the show.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Amazing chapter, many important new facts.

Now we know for sure that:

- Ymir is a human with titan powers, like everyone else, not something different. That ends some speculation that has been going in this thread

- Ymir belongs to no faction

- "Titan Power" is something that can be given or stolen. I think that's important to keep in mind

- Annie-Reiner-Berthold people dont know the secrets about the wall (and that's why they want Historia)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I kind of wish Eren and Misaka would take more of a backseat to the rest of the cast. They're just so one-note and unlikable compared to the more complex human-titans and the mysterious background of Christa and how she fits in to the politics of that world. Misaka's murderface can be pretty badass, I guess, but she and Eren are basically leaving their empathy at the door for anyone who doesn't agree with them, which makes them worse than soldiers following orders or animals following their instincts. They're making a choice not to give a poo poo and that makes them worse than any titan we've encountered. It wouldn't be so bad if there was actual depth to those characters, but there isn't and they're so one-note it's just boring.

When Eren got gagged last issue I was happy as heck because now the grown-ups can talk and give up some exposition and character moments instead of "I'LL MURDER DEATH KILL EVERYONE MURDER KILL KILL KILL RAGE"

Eren and Mikasa had their hometown destroyed and their family and friends eaten by titans thanks to Bert, Ernie, and Abby. It's kind of understandable that they don't give a poo poo about how remorseful they might feel about it. The others are more willing to listen because they haven't had their lives devastated the way Eren's and Mikasa's have been.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm not sure why people hate Eren so much. It isn't like his shonen hot-bloodedness is presented as a positive. Most of the other non-Mikasa characters seem to dislike it and find him annoying.

I'm not sure who is actually delivering that line in this chapter about Eren being annoying rear end in a top hat.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 7, 2013

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

of bees posted:

I really hope they end it with this page right here. Especially if they end up waiting a year or two before doing season two of the show.

Oh god this page. "There were no titans among the scouts of the 104th squad." [Group shot containing 3/7 titans.]

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure who is actually delivering that line in this chapter about Eren being annoying rear end in a top hat.

I'm pretty sure that was Jean

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's Jean, he's the only character there who it would make sense to be saying something like that. It's playing off how much they hated each-other during training.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Every chapter, Mikasa creeps me out more and more with her robotic bloodlust rage. Goddamn, what a development though. I always love characterization in this series because it's so... gently caress, what's the word I'm looking for. Unexpected?

I'm guessing that in the upcoming shindig, Bert dies to save some recons or some other noble act as reconciliation. If Christa dies somehow, so will Ymir, and vice-versa, and Sasha gets the munchies and eats a Titan.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

Eren and Mikasa had their hometown destroyed and their family and friends eaten by titans thanks to Bert, Ernie, and Abby. It's kind of understandable that they don't give a poo poo about how remorseful they might feel about it. The others are more willing to listen because they haven't had their lives devastated the way Eren's and Mikasa's have been.

Erin has always been like this. When Erin first met Misaka? Straight up murders two humans. Given they were terrible people, but two wrongs don't make a right. He's perpetuating the cycle of hate and destruction. His mantra worked when the story and antagonists were simplier, but now shades of grey krept in and it doesn't hold much, if any, weight. If his development is overcoming this flaw then that'll be spectacular, but so far he's only had one note and that is "I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!" and it's boring and tiresome. Armin is better suited to be the main protagonist because he is eager to learn and grow as a character and is better suited as the stand-in for the audience to learn things

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

of bees posted:

I figure the end of the anime will be either that or the previous chapter, yeah. Either one makes a hell of a cliffhanger.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Quantum Toast posted:

I figure the end of the anime will be either that or the previous chapter, yeah. Either one makes a hell of a cliffhanger.
I actually want it to smash-cut to black right here

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c034/10.html

Where the eye of the wall-titan focuses on Mikasa. Perfect ending

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Missing Name posted:

Every chapter, Mikasa creeps me out more and more with her robotic bloodlust rage. Goddamn, what a development though. I always love characterization in this series because it's so... gently caress, what's the word I'm looking for. Unexpected?

I'm guessing that in the upcoming shindig, Bert dies to save some recons or some other noble act as reconciliation. If Christa dies somehow, so will Ymir, and vice-versa, and Sasha gets the munchies and eats a Titan.

Sasha isn't with the group, she's still off with the people from her hometown.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Elotana posted:

That would be such a troll ending. Everyone would expect the next season to start with the titan waking up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure why people hate Eren so much. It isn't like his shonen hot-bloodedness is presented as a positive. Most of the other non-Mikasa characters seem to dislike it and find him annoying.

He isn't even really hotblooded, though. He's just a hate-filled maniac. Like, Emperor Palpatine looks at Eren and tells him to ease off, man, Jesus.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Amazing chapter, many important new facts.

Now we know for sure that:

- "Titan Power" is something that can be given or stolen. I think that's important to keep in mind

Not necessarily. "Stealing" Titan power could just be stealing whatever it is that gives human's that ability (like the injection Grisha gave Eren).

U-DO Burger posted:

The others are more willing to listen because they haven't had their lives devastated the way Eren's and Mikasa's have been.

You'd think some of them, like Connie, would be a bit upset.

Prison Warden posted:

He isn't even really hotblooded, though. He's just a hate-filled maniac. Like, Emperor Palpatine looks at Eren and tells him to ease off, man, Jesus.

Your post gave me the idea to search for this. Not sure if it's been posted in the thread before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWfQX9xp_Qw

e:VVV
Oh, okay. I thought you meant it was something where someone's Titan power could be stolen from them, or someone could igve away their own.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 7, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Genocyber posted:

Not necessarily. "Stealing" Titan power could just be stealing whatever it is that gives human's that ability (like the injection Grisha gave Eren).

That's what I mean. Whatever it is that cause people to became human-titans is something that can be stolen

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's what I mean. Whatever it is that cause people to became human-titans is something that can be stolen

Could it be as simple as she ate their human-titan buddy?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

I second this motion. If only for all of the trolling connotations and shock value of the scene.

As for the chapter, I'm amazed at for all of the death flags that Hannes has thrown into the air, he's still alive. I have a feeling that it won't be Ervin to be the one who "stains his hands with blood", it's Hannes who will do that, resulting his death as well. As for the end of the chapter, Ervin might just be the most insane member of the Recon Corps. He just puts on the best poker face as well.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BizarroAzrael posted:

I dont think so, since she was already in titan form and she did that. I would bet she stole whatever it was, use it on herself and the while running out she met Reiner, Berthold and this other guy and ended up eating him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

She ate the titan-titan fruit: model witch

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think so, since she was already in titan form and she did that. I would bet she stole whatever it was, use it on herself and the while running out she met Reiner, Berthold and this other guy and ended up eating him.

Could be less "stealing the power to turn into a titan" and more "stealing the power to switch between titan and human forms".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You'd think some of them, like Connie, would be a bit upset.

Connie doesn't know for sure if his family's dead yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

NiceAaron posted:

Could be less "stealing the power to turn into a titan" and more "stealing the power to switch between titan and human forms".

Didn't Ymir say something about not wanting to go to Bert and Reiner's village since their warriors would eat her? So I'm thinking it's something along this line.