Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Any digital multimeter recommendations? My Mastercrap meter is getting worse and I guess I should pony up for a decent one since I do use it daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Any digital multimeter recommendations? My Mastercrap meter is getting worse and I guess I should pony up for a decent one since I do use it daily.

Use it for what?

I particularly like having my Extech with the DC clamp meter for automotive work.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got this Extech meter that was recommended on the eevblog and I'm happy with it. I got it to do a bit of electronics fuckery though. It's probably way overkill for 99% of automotive poo poo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

fatman1683 posted:

Milwaukee was bought by a Chinese conglomerate in 2005 and nearly all of its production moved there. They're probably on par with most of the other Chinese-made power tools, but they're not the premium brand they used to be. A reconditioned Milwaukee isn't going to be any better than a reconditioned anything else, but for the price it's probably not a bad deal.

we use milwaukee at work (government construction and maintenance) and abuse the gently caress out of them and they havent failed yet.

More than we can say bout the Panasonics or dewalts

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

fatman1683 posted:

Milwaukee was bought by a Chinese conglomerate in 2005 and nearly all of its production moved there. They're probably on par with most of the other Chinese-made power tools, but they're not the premium brand they used to be. A reconditioned Milwaukee isn't going to be any better than a reconditioned anything else, but for the price it's probably not a bad deal.

Ridgid and Ryobi power tools are also made by that same conglomerate, Techtronic Industries.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Jared592 posted:

Ridgid and Ryobi power tools are also made by that same conglomerate, Techtronic Industries.

Can't judge them that way, though; rarely does a parent company have incentive to build multiple competing product lines to identical quality standards. Danaher, for example, makes probably the majority of the world's wrenches, but there's definitely some significant variation thanks to material prices, manufacturing locations, local labor costs, etc.

Another example closer to the stomach is that Unilever makes Turkey Hill (cheap gas station ice cream for those of you outside the availability area), Breyer's, and Ben & Jerry's; definitely a wide quality spread there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Another example closer to the stomach is that Unilever makes Turkey Hill (cheap gas station ice cream for those of you outside the availability area), Breyer's, and Ben & Jerry's; definitely a wide quality spread there.

Whoohoo, central PA! I ran their process control fiber backbone.

Great place to work....freezer full of free ice cream in the break room.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Of everyone, I didn't expect Motronic to be the one living a goons' dream.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Had no idea that such a large international corporation like Unilever ran Turkey Hill, but when they put their ice cream on 2/$5 I always walk down to the nearest one and grab a couple.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Anyone have recommendations for a drum brake tool kit? I'd need good brake spring pliers, something the reviews for the HF kit specifically identify as a weak point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I used the HF kit when I did the drums on the Ranger, and while they're poo poo they didn't seem to be any more poo poo than any other spring pliers I've used before. Easier than trying to deal with Vise Grips.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I'm right there with you there. Using regular pliers on drum brake springs is near suicidal. Nearly jamming a flathead into my eyes/face after a spring slid off got me to start wearing eye protection.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That reminds me. Safety glasses - I need some since the ones I had been using dated back to college and are now uselessly hazed over. Any good recommendations out there or should I just fart around Harbor Freight and see what they've got? They need to fit over glasses because my eyes suck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If your prescription is stable, spend the money for prescription safety glasses. Putting overglasses on is horrible.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah work gave everyone who wore glasses a set of prescription safety glasses from zenni optical. Of course OSHA doesn't require people to wear safety glasses if they wear corrective glasses out on the shop floor so most people don't wear them but they are nice if I'm helping a machinist with set up or showing how to deburr a part properly or something

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

OSHA doesn't require people to wear safety glasses if they wear corrective glasses out on the shop floor so most people don't wear them
We're "all PPE all the time", you don't go on the shop without glasses, ear protection, toecap boots, jewellery removed/covered and appropriate clothing. Seems like an arse at first, but it's for the best. You never know when a bit of swarf etc will make a break for freedom toward you, and it helps cut down on a them-and-us attitude with the shop guys.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

Yeah work gave everyone who wore glasses a set of prescription safety glasses from zenni optical.

It's stable enough (not more than +/- 0.25 diopter per two-three years or whenever I actually get checked). I never even thought to check this option out and I need to get my prescription updated anyway. Thanks!

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Yeah, if you're far-sighted it's probably best to get prescription safety glasses. I'm a bit near-sighted on account of an astigmatism, but since most (all?) car work is up close and personal I don't bother. Really, the key to eye protection is just wearing it, so I'd maybe spend $10 as opposed to the ~$1/pair ones from HF that don't feel as nice. The $10 ones also tend not to be the type that like to rest on their lens-face for whatever weird reason and cause scratches.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

We're "all PPE all the time", you don't go on the shop without glasses, ear protection, toecap boots, jewellery removed/covered and appropriate clothing. Seems like an arse at first, but it's for the best. You never know when a bit of swarf etc will make a break for freedom toward you, and it helps cut down on a them-and-us attitude with the shop guys.

I wish it was like that here. Half the machinists and shop guys don't wear any sort of PPE because the owner and the head of engineering are old school guys who think it just gets in the way and they sure like to lead by example! Getting people to actually wear it all the time really starts with examples being set at the top.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Indian Larry didn't wear eyepro or a helmet. :colbert:

Oh, right.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Jared592 posted:

I'm right there with you there. Using regular pliers on drum brake springs is near suicidal. Nearly jamming a flathead into my eyes/face after a spring slid off got me to start wearing eye protection.

I almost broke my own nose with a pair of vise grips trying to put ebrake shoe springs on. They let go and I gave myself an instant nosebleed, learned a hard lesson that day.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

IOwnCalculus posted:

That reminds me. Safety glasses - I need some since the ones I had been using dated back to college and are now uselessly hazed over. Any good recommendations out there or should I just fart around Harbor Freight and see what they've got? They need to fit over glasses because my eyes suck.

Whilst glasses are cheap does toothpaste clear them like headlight glass? just wondering really.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I need a recommendation on a decent, inexpensive paint gun. Prime sources would be from Princess Auto and :canada: Canadian Tire, but if the price is right I'd consider ordering online. I don't plan on doing any huge project - just a motorcycle fairing or three.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get a face shield instead. Much better with and without glasses. HF has a decent one usually.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Simkin posted:

I need a recommendation on a decent, inexpensive paint gun. Prime sources would be from Princess Auto and :canada: Canadian Tire, but if the price is right I'd consider ordering online. I don't plan on doing any huge project - just a motorcycle fairing or three.

Save yourself the headaches and buy a Star. Even second hand because all the spares are available.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ive never had an issue using a pair of needle nose vice grips to do drum brake springs?

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.

Simkin posted:

I sprayed my motorcycle, a workbench, and the bed and front fenders on my f350 with this : http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-69705.html

The gun itself was surprisingly nice, the operator was an idiot (me). The first couple times I used it didn't turn out so great, but after I figured out what I was doing it went really well. Just get some practice in before you spray the actual work.

Also, all paints behave differently when sprayed, so practice with the same poo poo you plan on using as your final coat.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

rscott posted:

Yeah work gave everyone who wore glasses a set of prescription safety glasses from zenni optical. Of course OSHA doesn't require people to wear safety glasses if they wear corrective glasses out on the shop floor so most people don't wear them but they are nice if I'm helping a machinist with set up or showing how to deburr a part properly or something
I used to get free prescription safety glasses from work, too. We had a pretty decent selection of frames, most of which are completely indistinguishable from normal glasses, they're just ANSI rated and come with removable sideshields (which we all promptly removed.)

I usually wear contacts, but not always, so I usually keep a prescription pair around with the sideshields on that I can easily grab if I'm grinding or cutting or whatever. I've got a full faceshield, too, but I hate it because it's tinted for arc-flash retina protection and I can't see worth poo poo with it on in anything less than direct light. I only use it when OSHA says I absolutely have to (which are the situations I'd have been using it anyway due to the hazard).

grover fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 9, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ferremit posted:

ive never had an issue using a pair of needle nose vice grips to do drum brake springs?

I use vise grips if there's a lower transverse spring and the lever-type tool on the top springs. Never really had any problems. Brake Spring Tool

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So I wouldn't be setting myself up for failure by buying a paint gun that's 1/4 the cost of the Star guns? Now I just need to see who stocks HF in Canada...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Since you guys brought up safety glasses, I did a little digging:

First, Zenni Optical does not sell safety glasses, they have not been tested to meet Z87 specs. I did suggest they make some in the future.

Wal-Mart has a decent selection, frames start around $25 and lenses are $60. However, a local university might be another good place to check. I live near the University of Minnesota. Through Boynton Health Services, you can purchase prescription safety glasses--supposedly for as little as $50.

I am considering buying an air compressor, mostly for running an impact gun, but I would love to be able to spray paint as well. Are any of Harbor Freight's units decent? What else should I know? They do offer warranties and purchase price credit, if you decide you want to upgrade. I could do it this month, but I am not pressed. The first ones would be ideal, the last could get the job done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/compressors-oil/2-horsepower-150-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-68127.html

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/puma-135-psi-20-gallon-air-compressor/0000000003375

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/compressors-oil/2-1-2-half-hp-10-gallon-125-psi-air-compressor-67708.html

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
This thread has been so dangerous for my wallet, it's truly scary. I've been collecting tools now for about 7 years, but it always seems like there's more I need. This is my current setup, not pictured is another top box and 2 handyman toolboxes stuffed full.

I just got my first Snap-On tool. I traded a decent Husky workbench I bought on clearance for it. I was asking $100 for the workbench and when the guy offered me the Snap-On I didn't believe him at first.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Guy at my shop just got a Matco 6 series box. Im in rage at how amazing it is.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
So how big of a crapshoot are used snap-on torque wrenches on ebay? I like the idea of having a tool that I can be confident will last me the rest of my life, but would it be smarter to just save up and buy it new?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I finally got torches!

I had to borrow my boss' torch set over the weekend which was a pain in the rear end. Between talking him into letting me borrow them then transporting them.

Anyway before I left to work on my jeep I checked Craigslist and found a guy selling the set pictured above about 5 miles away from where I was going for 75 bucks. I met the dude and only had 20s and 10s he didn't have a 5 but said he'd take 70. I think I made out pretty good.

The acetylene tank is empty but my brothers boss exchanges tanks so its not much of a problem. Yea they're little but for what I need em for they're be just fine. Getting exhaust apart, nuts and bolts, poo poo like that.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 12, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

The Third Man posted:

So how big of a crapshoot are used snap-on torque wrenches on ebay? I like the idea of having a tool that I can be confident will last me the rest of my life, but would it be smarter to just save up and buy it new?

I don't think it's a big deal. You can have them re-calibrated by snap-on. Just make absolutely sure you're getting a legit snap-on wrench. The one I got had a re-calibration 8 weeks before I bought it. It had paperwork to prove it, which was really nice.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Also, can anyone recommend a ~6" bit holder that will work with standard .25" craftsman bits? I've been to every hardware store in a 10 mile radius and can't seem to find anything other than the flexible extensions...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Third Man posted:

Also, can anyone recommend a ~6" bit holder that will work with standard .25" craftsman bits? I've been to every hardware store in a 10 mile radius and can't seem to find anything other than the flexible extensions...

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-magnetic-hex-bit-extension-68517.html

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
All right, I'm a bit of a tool newbie, and I've gotten a job working in a shop doing general mechanical. I've got a minimum tool list that I'm trying to decipher, but there are a few bits that are confusing to me.

The Tool List posted:

Socket set
(12 point) 3/16, , 5/16, ⅜, 7/16, , 9/16 (Standard)
11/32

Now, I'm just trying to figure out what they want here, as formatting-wise, the list's a bit of a mess.

• I assume the leading fraction (the ") refers to the drive size, or does it?
  • I assume that "Standard" refers to 6-point sockets
  • I'm puzzled about the last 11/32" though. Given that there's no point measurement on it, am I to assume that these larger sockets use a 4-point drive?

Anyone have good suggestions for daily-use tools that won't break the bank? I certainly don't have the budget to go rummaging through a snap-on catalog, but I don't want to show up with a plastic orange case from Ikea and be sent home, either.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Looks to me like they just want you to get a basic 1/4" drive socket set and that's it. The 12 point refers to the inside points of the sockets. They want you to get 12 point versus 6 point.

6 point on left, 12 point on right

Edit: So this would probably do ya:
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80307-4-Inch-Standard-Socket/dp/B0014ZXUU2

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2013