Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Glass Hand posted:

I'm not going to stick up for TWC posters, but I don't think the issue was merely whether RTW Egypt was "Hellenic" enough. It's not merely that the Ptolemies didn't fight that way - it's that the native Egyptians didn't fight that way either, and hadn't for hundreds of years, perhaps the better part of a millenium. If CA decided to make Britain in ETW have bills and longbows because they just thought it was boring for every faction to use muskets and guns, I think TWC posters wouldn't be alone in asking what was going on.

This basically happened for the Celts in RTW: Barbarian Invasion. They had Gallowglass units - the Norse-Gael mercenaries operating in Ireland from the 13th century onwards - in a game set in the 5th century. There wasn't a big outcry because TWC didn't give a gently caress, much as they don't give a gently caress when their beloved realism mods include extremely unrealistic or anachronistic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
TWC is full big biased babbies and is now useless now all the good modders are gone.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

TWC is full big biased babbies and is now useless now all the good modders are gone.

Look at these idiots calling CA devs liars because they think Shogun 2 wasn't moddable because the tools were too hard to learn , hopefully CA will make an effort to support modders on their own website so that TWC will become irrelevant.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Can't we get a CA dev to post on here? We're nice.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

concerned mom posted:

Can't we get a CA dev to post on here? We're nice.
It was proposed a ~dozen pages back, with people offering to buy CA an account, but I don't recall anything further coming out of it.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Welmu posted:

It was proposed a ~dozen pages back, with people offering to buy CA an account, but I don't recall anything further coming out of it.

maybe they are scarred by their experience at twc?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
More video! A guy skirmishing as Macedon against Rome.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I actually dislike the relationships some developers have, or are building, with the SA forums. For some titles it has resulted in blunted criticism when open criticism is due.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

peer posted:

He really isn't good at all but the ai actually looked quite good, it was weird that he didn't bring Phalangites as Macedon and instead used hoplites.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 8, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lord Tywin posted:

He really isn't good at all but the ai actually looked quite good, it was weird that he didn't bring Phalangites as Macedon and instead used hoplites.

This has TWC in a frothing rage since half of the posters think it is a literal conspiracy by CA to hide the fact that phalangites are completely broken and do not work at all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm glad shameful display made it back into the game in some way. :unsmith:

And thank god they toned down the indicator for hidden units, I was worried about that. Hopefully we'll get numbers back too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This has TWC in a frothing rage since half of the posters think it is a literal conspiracy by CA to hide the fact that phalangites are completely broken and do not work at all.

When is TWC not pointlessly angry at something? they are the new No Mutants Allowed gaming forums wise now really.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is every TWC poster in my head

Please don't let the better AI be a lie :(

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I'm still pretty pissed off we never see actual zoomed in combat animations in any of these stupid videos.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Athropos posted:

I'm still pretty pissed off we never see actual zoomed in combat animations in any of these stupid videos.

Yeeeaaaah that has me kind of worried as well. If I recall correctly, a lot of Shogun 2 pre-release media showed off the (great) animations.

edit: incidentally, I hope Rome 2 gets blood/decapitation DLC as well :shobon:

peer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 8, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm sure CA has some pretty rad promotional stuff planned to show off a few of those animations.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

peer posted:

Man that's actually really encouraging how easily he got trounced.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I hope we get to hear more 'oh poo poo, run!' as we send our light cav chasing after routers.

I always loved hearing "run to the hills!" on the Syrian flats map.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Anyone else hoping we'll still get sly winks and nods towards Asterix, HBO's Rome, Spartacus and a few other things with the campaign map stuff?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else hoping we'll still get sly winks and nods towards Asterix, HBO's Rome, Spartacus and a few other things with the campaign map stuff?

There had to be a good reason for the Rome set visit right? Right???

I wonder what will happen when Chariots and Cataphracts charge into each other with the addition of the unit weight system.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

concerned mom posted:

He's pretty terrible at the game though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah all the devs seem to be pretty terrible. Although I'd probably be terrible too if I were trying to narrate what was going on.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
The way he is handling his cavalry is just painful to watch...

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Fox Cunning posted:

The way he is handling his cavalry is just painful to watch...

Naw man, cavalry are supposed to be positioned just to receive charges, it's cool.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah I'm guessing the main reason he lost is because he spent most of his points or whatever on a bunch of elite cavalry and then didn't use them :downs:

edit: also at one point he mistakes an unengaged roman unit for one of his own and tries to select it

peer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 8, 2013

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
I love the ambushing and detection stuff, though I wouldn't mind them showcasing a battle where that tactic actually works. I'm definitely looking forward to skirmishers not being just a garrison troop and missile sponge.

John Charity Spring posted:

This basically happened for the Celts in RTW: Barbarian Invasion. They had Gallowglass units - the Norse-Gael mercenaries operating in Ireland from the 13th century onwards - in a game set in the 5th century. There wasn't a big outcry because TWC didn't give a gently caress, much as they don't give a gently caress when their beloved realism mods include extremely unrealistic or anachronistic things.

Maybe they just bought BI for the better AI in BI.exe and never gave a poo poo about the BI campaign, who knows. That's basically why I wanted it (and the fact that several major mods had made the switch as well).

At any rate, the Ptolemaic roster posted earlier actually looks pretty encouraging.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Glass Hand posted:

I love the ambushing and detection stuff, though I wouldn't mind them showcasing a battle where that tactic actually works. I'm definitely looking forward to skirmishers not being just a garrison troop and missile sponge.

Maybe they just bought BI for the better AI in BI.exe and never gave a poo poo about the BI campaign, who knows. That's basically why I wanted it (and the fact that several major mods had made the switch as well).

At any rate, the Ptolemaic roster posted earlier actually looks pretty encouraging.

BI was actually pretty fun though. Even if a bit flawed, I wouldn't mind if they tried it again in R2.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

concerned mom posted:

Keep in mind that it's on Very Hard difficulty, so the enemy units get huge bonuses. I really hope there's some sort of mod that 'unlocks' the highest levels of AI difficulty and combines them with no bonuses for either side. Don't see why they couldn't separate the battle AI level from the bonuses the player/AI gets.

I'm still pretty skeptical.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It's pretty funny how he blames his loss entirely on the enemy general using his morale buff. You know, man, I really don't think that factored in.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm curious if anyone here knows the name of the modder who might have taken Darthmod's role (for Google purposes) or if there is anyone who is still working on his ETW 8.1 version because that game still rocks but the Ottoman/Russia freeze bug is still a problem. Or if anyone has a recommendation for another mod for either ETW or TW:Shogun 2 that helps the AI and balance better.

Thanks in advance.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KaptainKrunk posted:

Keep in mind that it's on Very Hard difficulty, so the enemy units get huge bonuses. I really hope there's some sort of mod that 'unlocks' the highest levels of AI difficulty and combines them with no bonuses for either side. Don't see why they couldn't separate the battle AI level from the bonuses the player/AI gets.

I'm still pretty skeptical.

Argh. Civilization does this too, and it's rubbish. It makes the higher difficulties pretty un-fun to play, because the AI cheats so badly (and get bonuses to income generation, reductions to upkeep, no morale-type penalties, etc.) that you have to cheese it to win. I don't know why people like playing it that way.

Maybe it's better if you imagine the bonuses to the AI opponents are just because they're the luckiest guys in the world, and you're the Charlie Brown of empire building and just can't catch a break. Good grief.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You can get some mods to tone down the bonuses, although I agree the option should really be in vanilla. Still, the cheating on the higher difficulties is not that bad in Shogun 2; you really don't have to cheese to win. You have to remember that they cheat for a reason- they can't think strategically like we do, so if they didn't cheat, defeating them would be pretty trivial. We may whine about the AI being unfair right now, but at least it's fun; if they didn't cheat, we'd wine about them being massive pushovers on every level (and that applies to every strategy game, this AI argument happens all the time). Really just gonna pull the "get better" card :smug:. It's only the mods that change upkeep and stuff which make the cheating they do ridiculously unmanageable.

I used to think the same way regarding Shogun 2 AI but now I'm an insane strategic genius I realise it's actually really good (relatively).

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 9, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I've not played on a level higher than 'Normal', so I have no idea. Good to hear it's not quite as bad as Civ though.

Also, what does a guy got to do to incite a revolt and get rebels to capture an ally's province so I can take it without breaking a treaty? I have a high level Ishin Shishi who can incite a revolt with 95% success chance like clockwork, but once the huge rebel stack shows up they can't ever capture the castle town. I just want to finish my railroad!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The size of the rebellion is tied to happiness and repression (and maybe a couple of other things but I don't know them- Shalcar can probably help better here), so get some shinobi to sabotage happiness buildings like inns if they see them- however, leave repression buildings like police stations or whatever untouched; they actually increase the size of rebellions.

Also try waiting for the garrison to go somewhere else? Where are you assaulting that they can always repel the rebels?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's in Bitchu.
Can I have a shinobi sabotage friendly cities without going to war or incurring a diplomatic penalty? That doesn't sound very neighborly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's not very neighborly to be eyeing your allies' provinces! They'll probably put a railroad there eventually anyway! But yeah they won't mind as long as they don't know it was you; don't let your shinobi get detected. Inciting the rebellion will probably get noticed no matter what though.

Although agent based relations penalties aren't actually that bad; unless you're only barely friends you should be fine even if your whole plan fails catastrophically.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm honestly worried that they're intentionally picking people who are bad at the game to showcase their "brilliant" new AI and the actual ingame AI will be a huge disappointment. It would be really nice if they showcased a battle where the player was decent.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Nah it's just that 99% of developers are terrible at videogames, especially their own games. It's also why do many games have terrible balance issues, because the devs don't know what the gently caress it takes to balance a MP game.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
He didn't do too bad as Rome in the Battle of the Nile. But I am getting a bad vibe off all the recent battles so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Someguy posted:

Nah it's just that 99% of developers are terrible at videogames, especially their own games. It's also why do many games have terrible balance issues, because the devs don't know what the gently caress it takes to balance a MP game.

While the 99% figure is an exaggeration, this man correct when he says that there is a rather bizarre trend of game developers being somewhere between bad and awful at their own games. I've never understood it, but it seems to be an undeniable truth.