Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

pksage posted:

It's not Electric Six, but real talk, at least "Down at McDonnellzzzz" will happen at some point in 2013. Any other requests? I was thinking of doing a 3-pack with that, Danger! High Voltage (because you kind of have to), and...something. Dance Pattern?

American Cheese, Countdown to the Countdown, Dance Commander, Lenny Kravitz, Waste of Time and Money, and Improper Dancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
We were witchy witchy white women (I get the name wrong often)

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

pksage posted:

It's not Electric Six, but real talk, at least "Down at McDonnellzzzz" will happen at some point in 2013. Any other requests? I was thinking of doing a 3-pack with that, Danger! High Voltage (because you kind of have to), and...something. Dance Pattern?
My top choice would be Future Is in the Future for its catchy guitar riff, incredible bass line, and sax solo (charted to keys?). But honestly I'd be happy with any additional E6 song!

Sherbet
Jan 20, 2010

pksage posted:

Dance Commander, Improper Dancing, and Synthesizer would all be great songs, but the song that would most make me squeal in joy and immediately run to play it now now NOW would definitely be We Were Witchy Witchy White Women.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dance Pattern, Jam it in the Hole, Clusterfuck!, Gay Bar Part Two, Witchy White Women, and I Buy the Drugs would all be solid picks, playing-wise. I also love Synthesizer.

Edit: Why stop at a 3 pack, why not a 12 pack?
I can also give you the cover I commissioned from their kickstarter when it arrives, it's a cover of one of my favorite RB songs and would prolly be rad :3:

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 3, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I'm not sure an E6 cover of "Headphones On" really needs to be made into a custom, Kaboobi.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

But what about Hall and Oates' "Maneater"?

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Are you serious about "Maneater"? It's tough to think of a better song for them to cover.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

DancinBrud posted:

Are you serious about "Maneater"? It's tough to think of a better song for them to cover.

Yup, I will share it with the world when I get it.
And I couldn't think of a better song for them to do either, the lyrics cover devil women, it has sexy sax solos, they seem to like using backup vocals a bit now, and is a rad as hell song all around.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Hey pksage any plans to bring any more of the Tom Petty songs from that live album to RB? Since we already had a couple packs from HMX it would fit right in.

If you guys could get "Straight into Darkness" from that live album up one of these weeks that would be killer.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I wouldn't do it myself, but you could go request it on our forums. Also, the tutorial I keep mentioning is finally panning out, so hopefully we can pull more of you into the fold.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

I wouldn't do it myself, but you could go request it on our forums. Also, the tutorial I keep mentioning is finally panning out, so hopefully we can pull more of you into the fold.

I felt like the vocal tutorial, while helpful, was still just a bit too dense for me. I hope you can REALLY dumb it down.

(Also I don't know if this means anything but I respond way better to text tutorials than video ones. But do whatever works best for you!)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

I felt like the vocal tutorial, while helpful, was still just a bit too dense for me. I hope you can REALLY dumb it down.

(Also I don't know if this means anything but I respond way better to text tutorials than video ones. But do whatever works best for you!)

I'm the same way -- this tutorial is a long-rear end forum post with screenshots. I may also do a newbie-friendly video tutorial, but the text one is first up.

It's impossible to make a fully idiot-proof tutorial, because making a non-lovely custom really does require dedication and finesse. It's easy to learn, though. The primary requirements are a thorough knowledge of RB mechanics (gem wrapping and relative pitch for G/B/K, what pads map to what gems for Drums), critical thinking / the ability to read the loving manual, and an ear for pitch if you intend to author vocals or Pro Keys. A lot of people get hung up on the last one, but that's also something that can be learned. You get guide pitches, and it's just a matter of making it "sound right".

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I think the best learning tool for me will be that video preview thing that shows what a MIDI chart looks like in-game. Like the thing in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QhszHhhwto

Without that, Reaper is still this big scary unknown thing to me. The idea of working on a track, and not knowing what my edits are gonna look like until I load the track in-game is a huge barrier for me. I'm hoping the upcoming tutorial points us to that tool!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

(gem wrapping and relative pitch for G/B/K, what pads map to what gems for Drums), critical thinking / the ability to read the loving manual, and an ear for pitch if you intend to author vocals or Pro Keys. A lot of people get hung up on the last one, but that's also something that can be learned. You get guide pitches, and it's just a matter of making it "sound right".

For me the biggest problem has been just not having a clue what I'm doing in the program at all. I have no idea what certain options do or if I'm even doing what I'm doing right. The gem wrapping stuff seems super logical and the drum stuff... well, a suggestion I have there! It's easy to say like "okay red is snare" or what have you but maybe alternately include a sound sample for people who... are dumb at knowing what different drums sound like? It obviously won't be perfect for every drum set but it'll be a start!

And yeah pitches can be tough too. :stare:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Everyone talks about vocal charting being the hardest most hung-up thing in authoring when it's always the very first thing I chart, and nearly always the first/ second draft will be the release candidate. What I'm awful at is drum charting. God drum charting is hell for me. If I could just chart five vocal parts and call it a full band, I would.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Orange Harrison posted:

If I could just chart five vocal parts and call it a full band, I would.

You heard it here first folks, Rockapella is coming to C3! :v:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Orange Harrison posted:

Everyone talks about vocal charting being the hardest most hung-up thing in authoring when it's always the very first thing I chart, and nearly always the first/ second draft will be the release candidate. What I'm awful at is drum charting. God drum charting is hell for me. If I could just chart five vocal parts and call it a full band, I would.

I half agree with this. Vocals charting is the most time-consuming (for me), but drums are the biggest pain in the rear end, especially trying to divine individual cymbals/kicks in a muddled full mix. uggghhhhhh

edit: I know I said this already, but this week is gonna be :krad:, even if you don't include my pack.

pksage fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 6, 2013

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Drums seem like the easiest to do if you have the isolated stems and hardest if you don't.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I just tried playing customs the other night. Never realized how easy it was to set up. Downloaded about thirty of 'em off C3 and it was a ton of fun. Great charts.

Though now I'm itching to learn how to make my own because there's a couple songs I desperately want to play. :sigh:

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

The T posted:

It's easy to say like "okay red is snare" or what have you but maybe alternately include a sound sample for people who... are dumb at knowing what different drums sound like? It obviously won't be perfect for every drum set but it'll be a start!
Go to a music store. Play some drums.

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy

whypick1 posted:

PSA: Rockapella's "Bang" is available in the RB store. Buy it. (Do it.) Then hope for more from C3.

Nyxyxylyth posted:

Go to a music store. Play some drums.

This is a good suggestion. If you suffer from crippling social anxiety and cannot leave your house, try looking for Youtube videos on basic drum beats tutorials. They're usually sparse enough to pick up the different sounds and you'll learn some basic patterns that you're likely to see in charting.

You can also check out RB3's drum trainer mode to see what some basic beats look like in gems on the lane, if you don't usually play drums.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

whypick1 posted:

No lie, this would basically make me learn how to play customs on my 360.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Why in the world haven't you yet? It's simple, you can still use Live, and some fantastic songs with quality charts have been released. (For the record, Peaches is great fun on expert guitar.)

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why in the world haven't you yet? It's simple, you can still use Live, and some fantastic songs with quality charts have been released. (For the record, Peaches is great fun on expert guitar.)

:effort: for starters, plus most of my 360 time is spent with Borderlands 2.

Plus, no one I know who lives near me plays Rock Band, so getting customs for myself isn't nearly as fun as it would be for a group.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

AeolisCams posted:

PSA: Rockapella's "Bang" is available in the RB store. Buy it.

Yeah, but some Rockapella with actual, I dunno, harmonies would be pretty spectacular. :allears:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I've got a Stage Kit for the 360 - I'm moving very shortly, so it's up for grabs at the cost of shipping. I've already packed up Rock Band so I can't test it out fully. The Strobe/Fog powered on, but the controller/light wouldn't recognize as a controller. PM me soon if you want it, otherwise it'll probably get trashed :(

that was quick

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 6, 2013

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
So I just checked out the video tutorial on how to play customs, and one of the steps involves running a .EXE file. Since I'm on a Mac, does that mean I'm out of luck? :(

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Either find a Mac program that can read 360 storage devices or get a real computermake friends with someone who has a PC.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Binowru posted:

So I just checked out the video tutorial on how to play customs, and one of the steps involves running a .EXE file. Since I'm on a Mac, does that mean I'm out of luck? :(
No problemo. Assuming you have an Intel processor-based Mac:

1. Install Parallels;
2. Create a virtual machine and install Windows XP, 7 or 8;
3. Download and install USBXTAFGUI;
4. ???
5. Profit!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
You don't even need to pay for Parallels.

VirtualBox is free :)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Kenderama posted:

You don't even need to pay for Parallels.

VirtualBox is free :)

Downloaded VirtualBox, tried it out, couldn't get virtual machine to boot properly, seemed hopelessly complicated, gave up. :( I don't wanna derail the thread too much with this stuff but thanks for trying to help, you guys.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I'm hoping figures out an easier way to add customs to the Wii RB3 like RawkSD did for RB2. There's just a lot of loops I don't want to go through now to play customs

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I finally updated Rock Band Chronicle a little bit. It now lists C3 customs and Beatles: Rock Band songs, and I've fixed a bunch of bugs. Of course, this introduced a bunch of new bugs, because technology. Logging in and songlist management are temporarily disabled, but they don't do anything meaningful anyway! Hopefully I can get song booklet exporting up and running soon, to change that.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

pksage posted:

Hopefully I can get song booklet exporting up and running soon, to change that.

Really looking forward to this! Keep up the good work. :)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for August 9, 2013:

The Beatles Multitrack 3-pack (Orange Harrison)
  • The Beatles - "For No One" X
  • The Beatles - "I Call Your Name"
  • The Beatles - "Long Tall Sally"

Mother Mother 4-pack (pksage)
  • Mother Mother - "Baby Don't Dance"
  • Mother Mother - "Hayloft"
  • Mother Mother - "O My Heart" (unreleased extended cut!)
  • Mother Mother - "The Stand"

New! Singles
  • Enter Shikari - "Sorry, You're Not a Winner" (Gigakoops) (2x Bass Pedal also available)
  • Tegan and Sara - "Back in Your Head" (drummerockband)
  • Two Door Cinema Club - "What You Know" (Gigakoops)

The Beatles pack has, as it suggests, full multitracks for each song (thanks to OH's frequency-banding wizardry). The Mother Mother pack is all "karaoke" stems (separated vocals), and "O My Heart" is an extended cut with about 30-40 extra seconds of music. "What You Know" also has full multitracks.

I'm stoked about this week! Mostly because it has my Mother Mother pack, but we also get Beatles multitracks, Tegan and Sara, and Two Door Cinema Club! I wish we had more stems for Tourist History; I would author the crap out of that album.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yaaaaaay more Beatles and some Mother Mother and some Tegan and Sara and 2DCC yaaaaaay

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Tegan and Sara! Great choice of song there.

I'm unfamiliar with Mother Mother but since I seem to like everything pksage likes, I'll have to check them out.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
Sweet, I've wanted some Mother Mother in RB forever. Nice picks, too. Definitely gonna grab these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Demp posted:

Sweet, I've wanted some Mother Mother in RB forever. Nice picks, too. Definitely gonna grab these.

Glad you like them! I was worried other fans would grouch about the song choices.

I have karaoke stems for these four and Wrecking Ball, which is most of the reasoning behind picking them. At some point I might do a second pack with some/all of Body of Years, Wrecking Ball, Verbatim, Neighbour, Chasing it Down, Problems, Original Spin, and Bit By Bit. I have been very tempted on several occasions to author O My Heart and Eureka in their entirety. I'd rather get a variety of artists out there, though, so Mother Mother 02 will probably wait for a while.

• Locked thread