Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Where can I find Owlbears? I need 4 more and it's the last quest i've got, but I haven't seen any for ages. I've done Lost Woods/Mage Tower entrance a tonne and nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Stop being such a ninny, if you wanna go and smash and do nothing but smash then use the goddamn amazon.

I was quite against the Amazon design myself, but I love playing as her as she is a ton of fun. She gets a Samus-like screw attack that just wrecks house.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Alteisen posted:

Stop being such a ninny, if you wanna go and smash and do nothing but smash then use the goddamn amazon.

I wasn't all that sold on the Amazon in the first place, but I may have to give her a shot if it's all smash all the time.

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
What am I supposed to find in the room behind the painted wall for the sidequest "Draconic History?" My search was cut short by a pubbie leaving the room, but I feel like I clicked everywhere and didn't find anything.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

I wasn't all that sold on the Amazon in the first place, but I may have to give her a shot if it's all smash all the time.

Yeah Amazon is my favorite but you really need berserk and punisher to really see where she shines.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Thievery posted:

Where can I find Owlbears? I need 4 more and it's the last quest i've got, but I haven't seen any for ages. I've done Lost Woods/Mage Tower entrance a tonne and nothing.

B path of the Ancient Temple ruins, run past the Medusa the first time she pops up. There should be 4 or 5.

MUMMYMTN posted:

What am I supposed to find in the room behind the painted wall for the sidequest "Draconic History?" My search was cut short by a pubbie leaving the room, but I feel like I clicked everywhere and didn't find anything.

The painting is behind the statue that you can blow apart (and use its limbs for weapons). Just hit the wall behind it a few times.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

...and the thread says Wizard sucks for solo play.

This is true but also totally irrelevant, since you can bring AI partners along for everything past the very first quest. If you want to be a wizard go for it. That said if you secretly really want to be an Amazon, I'm gonna join the crowd encouraging you to get over your reservations; she's got some pretty cool stuff.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Don't worry about not liking her wierd-butt design; you basically won't even see her half the time because you are spin-bouncing all over the screen destroying stuff, and it's a lot of fun.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What skills is everyone using for Amazon? Also, how do I use the skill where you get an item in your inventory?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Are there builds popping up yet for characters ? I really hope this doesn't get back into the cookie cutter days of Diablo 2 where "IF YOU DON'T PUT X INTO Y YOU SUCK"

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 9, 2013

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

What skills is everyone using for Amazon? Also, how do I use the skill where you get an item in your inventory?

Brandish, Punisher, Berserk, Evasion, and Item Slots is probably what I'd always max. The rest is up to you.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I tried out Amazon and now I'm lvl30 :sweatdrop:

It's like night and day compared to elf geeeeeeeeez.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Are there builds popping up yet for characters ? I really hope this doesn't get back into the cookie cutter days of Diablo 2 where "IF YOU DON'T PUT X INTO Y YOU SUCK"

A lot of it is preference/playstyle choices. You have more than enough SP to max anything you are actively always using.

Use google translate or something:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/134/G013480/FC20130711002/

(character skills are found at the bottom)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I did the B for Bilbaron and got a Talisman. Then I did B for Medusa and didn't. Is there a tip or secret to this?

Edit: never mind figured it out!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 9, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is anyone else using the other narrators? I like the sorceress.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I really hope this doesn't get back into the cookie cutter days of Diablo 2 where "IF YOU DON'T PUT X INTO Y YOU SUCK"

Deadly Revolver Amazons are the Burizons of Dragon's Crown.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I like the Fighter narrator.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Ahah is there any way to speed up spell casts? Meteor shower takes an amazing amount of time to cast.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

blat blat blat posted:

Ahah is there any way to speed up spell casts? Meteor shower takes an amazing amount of time to cast.

Nope! Meteor Swarm is Really Bad. Sorry.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
I manages to get a cast off on Medusa and the three meteors slammed into the tiny snakes, completely annihilating them and did no damage to the big bad boss Ahaha.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Emalde posted:

That's really a shame. Dropping giant meteors on things should never suck.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Every time I saw meteor fall it owned.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I like to use the narrator of the character I'm playing as, aside from my main character, who gets the default since I like the normal narrator a lot. I really like the sorceress as well though. It's funny hearing her try to voice the lines when someone actually talks and it's not just describing stuff. :allears:

Bossy Bear
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone know who the voice actor is for the elf? I keep hearing Princess Bubblegum...

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Bossy Bear posted:

Does anyone know who the voice actor is for the elf? I keep hearing Princess Bubblegum...

edit: I was certain it was Danielle Judovits but apparently Eden Riegel's slightly more high pitched voice sounds exactly like Danielle's normal voice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Riegel

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 9, 2013

Stylo
May 17, 2010

boho posted:

It's loving brilliant because goons pubbies can't join at level 1 and poo poo up your game as they learn buttons. TRIAL BY FIRE :black101:

This just changed my entire opinion on this matter

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Emalde posted:

Technically true, but if your heart is really set on dropping giant rocks on a boss all you have to do is cast slow first. Slow is really really really good and will let you nail basically everyone but the gazer and warlock easily, and them with a little thought.

I mean yeah you'd do more damage if you just spent all that casting time standing under it spamming up + O but then you wouldn't be dropping giant sky rocks.

edit: Okay the vampires are also a no go but they are just assholes in general. I have not found an approach to wizarding that I really like against them. Maybe if fire burst eventually gets enough casts to have one/vampire? I dunno.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 9, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I assume once I collect these talismans I'm fairly near the "campaign" endgame. What's on offer past that? Prior to game's release it sounded to my like some random-generated hard endless dungeon but given the art-assets I have to assume that was a poor interpretation on my part...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay good, the difficulty is back up to where I would like (when soloing anyway, it's the only way I can even tell what I'm doing). Those owlbears hit like a motherfucker.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Eh, finally went online. First time was all Wizards and me as Amazon, the second time was all Amazons and my boyfriend as a Wizard. It's like online has a sense of humour about it or something.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

So I assume once I collect these talismans I'm fairly near the "campaign" endgame. What's on offer past that? Prior to game's release it sounded to my like some random-generated hard endless dungeon but given the art-assets I have to assume that was a poor interpretation on my part...

There is one, but it does reuse the backgrounds and monsters from earlier. It doesn't fully unlock until you've beaten the boss on the final difficulty.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do all the characters have the same airborne abilities, like spin and double jumping, dive kick, air dodging, downward smash, and so on? I really can't tell how different it is to play the amazon than the other characters I haven't tried yet.

The spin jump doing damage takes me straight back into Metroid land though, it's great.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 9, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Dwarf has a awkward divebomb jump and I haven't tried air dodging, but when playing as a dwarf the goal is generally less about flying around in the air everywhere and more about grabbing things and making them fly around everywhere. The main reason I jump as a dwarf is to send a dude I just grabbed careening into the ground across the screen.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Besides the body splash, the Dwarf also has that spinning descent (that might be what nftyw was referring to), and I use that at times to position myself for a Power Smash on a big crowd or a boss.

On another note, I had a question about equipment durability. What, exactly, are the penalties when a weapon or accessory completely breaks? I had an amulet break, but I was still able to repair it when I returned to town. Do you just lose the abilities and stats of those items until then? I ask because I picked up a couple nice Dwarf Weapons with the unfortunate drawback of having a set Durability Low flaw, and I want to know if it's worth chancing it using them or if I should pass.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Overlord K posted:

I like to use the narrator of the character I'm playing as, aside from my main character, who gets the default since I like the normal narrator a lot. I really like the sorceress as well though. It's funny hearing her try to voice the lines when someone actually talks and it's not just describing stuff. :allears:

The sorceress narrator putting on Ye Olde Wizarde Voice is a treasure.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Besides the body splash, the Dwarf also has that spinning descent (that might be what nftyw was referring to), and I use that at times to position myself for a Power Smash on a big crowd or a boss.

On another note, I had a question about equipment durability. What, exactly, are the penalties when a weapon or accessory completely breaks? I had an amulet break, but I was still able to repair it when I returned to town. Do you just lose the abilities and stats of those items until then? I ask because I picked up a couple nice Dwarf Weapons with the unfortunate drawback of having a set Durability Low flaw, and I want to know if it's worth chancing it using them or if I should pass.

I'm not entirely sure, but your damage definitely takes a large hit if your weapon breaks; honestly I don't think it's worth it to use the low durability weapons because they barely last for one dungeon. I think I go through about ~500 durability on a single dungeon, and although you can carry more than one weapon in a bag and switch, it's slightly annoying and takes up slots for potions and skills. Maybe if you save a high damage low durability weapon for hard bosses or something, but I've never had a case so far where I felt like I needed more damage. (Caveat, I'm only at ~30 in chaos labyrinth, so who knows where it could go from there)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nah, characters handle the air differently- the Wizard can hover and either shoot a flurry of bullets, launch a giant gently caress-off fire/iceball, or summon a massive AoE bolt storm around his position. But besides the hover, his air mobility is really limited. All offense no defense in the air for wizards.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just shot up ten levels by chaining all the A route dungeons once I got to infernal :stare:. Looke like I'm going to be using Jula's blessing all the time when I'm chaining.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Skill Simulator for the rest of you spergs out there who were floundering around like me to try and figure out what to do:

http://fruitriin.sakura.ne.jp/DrgnsCrwnSS/

(Use google translate or something)

E:

I don't want to double post so I'll edit this one, it looks like I've been unfair to Meteor Swarm because I'm running off the idea that you shouldn't expect to have <X> party member with you.

Meteor Swarm is bar-none one of the strongest abilities in the game, but the insane charge time means you're relying on either a Fighter or Sorceress to be there to make sure your poo poo doesn't get interrupted. If you're solo or have no viable means to ensure that people wont be crawling over your rear end, meteor swarm is next to impossible to cast. It would require a use of Slow (which is super important, always max) and some luck that nothing teleports out or throws a pebble at you.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Two Dwarves covering the screen in flying bombs might not be the most effective tactic, but it sure is hilarious. I like to imagine our dudes hi-fiving as they cross in the middle.

• Locked thread