Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if there is a better place to post this, but currently I have been put in charge of upgrading our companys Software and Hardware as well as our ERP/CRM/Financing software. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any good/bad reviews of ERP software and some experience with some of the major packages such as Microsoft Dynamix, Pronto XI, SAP One, Sage or Netsuite?

We are also looking at the possibility of running Microsoft Office 365 as opposed to getting a standard license but i dont know anyone that currently uses it so i wondered if anyone here had any feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What is the best windows 8 start menu replacement app? I'm using Start8 right now but it's kinda broken when you use multiple monitors. The start button on the 2nd screen doesn't work (it opens the metro start screen, or the Start8 menu but on the wrong monitor).

Are there any others that have better multiple monitor support? I don't mind paying for this as my start8 trial ends soon so unless I can find a better one ill be buying that.

I like StartisBack. I haven't tried it with multiple monitors though. Still using Windows 7 and Ultramon for that setup.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am building a new PC. It does not have an optical drive.

I have a Windows 7 disk, a Mac laptop, and a Windows laptop. Both laptops do have optical drives.

How can I get Windows 7 on my new machine?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am building a new PC. It does not have an optical drive.

I have a Windows 7 disk, a Mac laptop, and a Windows laptop. Both laptops do have optical drives.

How can I get Windows 7 on my new machine?

Using one of those laptops, make an image of the disc then use something like http://www.isotousb.com/

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Aphrodite posted:

Using one of those laptops, make an image of the disc then use something like http://www.isotousb.com/

Windows actually has an ISO to USB utility that works incredibly well.
Along with a Digital Download of a Win 7 ISO which is completely legal under Win 7's new terms.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Windows actually has an ISO to USB utility that works incredibly well.
Along with a Digital Download of a Win 7 ISO which is completely legal under Win 7's new terms.
Also, something that i got stuck with, if creating 64bit installation media on a 32bit o/s you'll need to get another bootsect.exe file, see info here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...87-7b6e1d719636
Otherwise the copy process to the usb will go fine for it's 20 minutes and then just fail at 100% :)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I need a software to convert images (mostly jpeg) to PDF. Any you guys recommend? Preferably free.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

I need a software to convert images (mostly jpeg) to PDF. Any you guys recommend? Preferably free.

IrfanView with the plugins.

You can set up a batch job as well to do them all at once, if you play around with the settings to get what you want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The sane course of action involves IrfanView and its PDF Writer plugin. Actually, IrfanView is pretty much the sane course of action for viewing and converting all images.

EDIT: ^ ^ ^ Urgh.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Without access to group policy, log-on scripts, or the user's password for psexec, how would you go about mapping a printer remotely for a user? Googling seems to only point to those solutions.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Without access to group policy, log-on scripts, or the user's password for psexec, how would you go about mapping a printer remotely for a user? Googling seems to only point to those solutions.

With their cooperation, remote assistance or Teamviewer.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

With their cooperation, remote assistance or Teamviewer.

That's basically what I'm trying to avoid, it takes more time and effort to schedule the appointment than it does to do the mapping. I was thinking about dumping a script on their desktop, but some sort of remote command line solution would be more elegant and flexible.

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
Posted this about a year ago. Still wondering...

Diovanti posted:

When I open multiple explorer windows on my computer I get this:

I want it to look this this by default (I believe linux calls it 'smart windows placement')

Any suggestions?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Don't think it works on new windows but http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/manage-multiple-windows#section_4

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Diovanti posted:

For two windows, you can use Win+Left or Win+Right to have it take that half of the screen. Keep pushing to move to other screens.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Taskbar right-click arrangement menu? Desktop only but still works in 8. Wouldn't be relevant in Surface mode even in 8.1 because there's no [coherent/logical/sensible] way to determine what to snap other than manually.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Diovanti posted:

I can't help you, but if you would like some more control over your file browsing, look into alternatives to Windows Explorer. The best is Directory Opus, which you can customize to high hell. Even then, I've never seen a file explorer that does four panels at a time.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Diovanti posted:

It's been a while, but I'm positive you can do this with Display Fusion ($) and pretty sure you can do this with WinSplit Revolution (free). Search for those and give them a shot, both are great programs regardless.

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife

Actually been using it for years... Gave it another once over to see if it would help.

Can't seem to find an option for smart window placement -- no overlap. Also maybe I wasn't clear on what I wanted in the first place with all the emphasis on explorer only. Here's a better example of what I hope to happen:

The saga continues. Though thanks for all the input so far.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
WindowSpace looks like it does what you want (costs money though and haven't used it myself).

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife

Lazlo Nibble posted:

WindowSpace looks like it does what you want (costs money though and haven't used it myself).

Just gave this one a try... nope.

All of these software suggestions so far seem to be geared towards moving and resizing existing windows around. I already have those features covered by using both Display Fusion and allSnap together. I'd like windows to open on first launch to empty screen space that another window isn't currently occupying if sufficient screen space is available -- basically don't overlap if there's enough room not to.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question: What do you guys recommend for a software solution to blocking all (or most) internet access on a certain PC? I need to stop employees from browsing the internet on a certain computer, but I still need network access and the ability to sync a dropbox (aka it still needs connectivity).

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
You can use the built-in firewall to deny traffic from/to ports you don't want them to use. Windows Firewall also allows you to allow only certain executables to communicate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good program to convert flac to mp3? I have foobar, but I don't want to risk messing up my library with unwanted extra files. I've done a Google search, but this is the sort of thing that brings up a lot of shady-looking software.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

hooah posted:

What's a good program to convert flac to mp3? I have foobar, but I don't want to risk messing up my library with unwanted extra files. I've done a Google search, but this is the sort of thing that brings up a lot of shady-looking software.

I like dbpoweramp http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hooah posted:

Personally I would use WinAmp's "Nullsoft Disk Writer" plugin (I believe it ships with WinAmp by default) to create WAV files from the FLAC tracks, then encode the WAV to MP3 using LAME (optionally with the RazorLame GUI). Very not-shady, and you have full control over the encoding.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Couldn't you put them in a Homegroup and share only to that group?

There's a few Vista/XP machines in the network so that's a no-go.

Edit: I just realized that I'm answring a months-old post. For reference, I'm trying to setup a Windows network so that specific users in that network can only access specific files or folders (instead of having to share to "Everyone" or requiring every user to have an account created in the computer that's hosting the files).

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 5, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

foobar is really the way to go. It's dead simple, and you can set the destination to be wherever you want so you shouldn't end up with a bunch of file clutter you don't want.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Quick question: What do you guys recommend for a software solution to blocking all (or most) internet access on a certain PC? I need to stop employees from browsing the internet on a certain computer, but I still need network access and the ability to sync a dropbox (aka it still needs connectivity).

There is no foolproof way to do this on a local machine, especially if the logged in account is an Admin and employees have any computer knowledge whatsoever.

Make sure the computer is running under User rather than an Admin account. Change your static DNS servers to 127.0.0.1 or the machine's IP, then define the sites you need access to in the HOSTS file.

You could also use a password protected OpenDNS or look around for a custom GPO.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
edit: nevermind, figured it out

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 5, 2013

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I replaced my old WinXP SE system with a new Win7 system a while ago. For running old programs, I re-installed my WinXP SE disk in VirtualBox. I made a snapshot after installing, and sometimes after testing some app, need to restore to a "clean" install. There's no reason that "clean" install needs to be as dated as the WinXP SE CD though -- there have been a ton of updates since then.

Is there some source or method to download the Windows Update patches to my local system so I can update my 'clean install' to be 2013 current instead of having it try to re-download the same patches since the release of WinXP SE all the time? Aside from the wasted time/bandwidth, I want to figure this out before Microsoft completely ends-of-life WinXP and I can't access the update site.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

onionradish posted:

I replaced my old WinXP SE system with a new Win7 system a while ago. For running old programs, I re-installed my WinXP SE disk in VirtualBox. I made a snapshot after installing, and sometimes after testing some app, need to restore to a "clean" install. There's no reason that "clean" install needs to be as dated as the WinXP SE CD though -- there have been a ton of updates since then.

Is there some source or method to download the Windows Update patches to my local system so I can update my 'clean install' to be 2013 current instead of having it try to re-download the same patches since the release of WinXP SE all the time? Aside from the wasted time/bandwidth, I want to figure this out before Microsoft completely ends-of-life WinXP and I can't access the update site.

Use nLite to make a custom XP disc, you can slipstream updates into it.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Medullah posted:

Use nLite to make a custom XP disc, you can slipstream updates into it.
Sorry if this is dumb, but how can I download the updates to files so I can slipstream via nlite?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

onionradish posted:

Sorry if this is dumb, but how can I download the updates to files so I can slipstream via nlite?

Not hard if you just Google "windows xp how to get updates manually slipstream", but here you go.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...nstallneed-help

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Thanks for the links -- the search results I was getting looked pretty shady.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Windows has decided that my license that I bought off Digital River during a sale some years ago is fake and is demanding that I buy a new one :wtc: Title bar of the popup is "Optional update delivery is not working" and it links me to a validation page.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide
First time I've ever had to ask for trouble shooting help so here goes. My Windows 7 install just got REALLY screwed up. My old motherboard is dead so I can no longer boot from that machine. However, I really, really, really would like to get my old pictures back from the My Pictures folder under my user. I tried hooking it up to my Windows 8 machine that I just built but it won't let me access that folder because of user restrictions.

Is there any way I can get those pictures back? It's like 10 years worth of photography. :(

EDIT: nevermind I figured it out. I just live booted Ubuntu from a usb stick and copied it over that way. I was in panic mode there for a second.

ACoolT5 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 9, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ACoolT5 posted:

First time I've ever had to ask for trouble shooting help so here goes. My Windows 7 install just got REALLY screwed up. My old motherboard is dead so I can no longer boot from that machine. However, I really, really, really would like to get my old pictures back from the My Pictures folder under my user. I tried hooking it up to my Windows 8 machine that I just built but it won't let me access that folder because of user restrictions.

Is there any way I can get those pictures back? It's like 10 years worth of photography. :(

Just to reassure you, I don't know the specifics but you can definitely get to them!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ACoolT5 posted:

EDIT: nevermind I figured it out. I just live booted Ubuntu from a usb stick and copied it over that way. I was in panic mode there for a second.

For future reference, the reason this happens is because the new Windows install has no idea what on earth owns those folders. All it knows is that a user that doesn't exist is supposed to have exclusive access to them.

So, this is easy to fix. Properties, Security, Advanced, Owner.. Set yourself as the owner, apply it to all the files, then once that's done, come out and set yourself as having full rights to the folder using the security tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Is there a way to get Microsoft Excel 2010 to display those red squiggly lines under misspelled words like it does in Word?