Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Does anyone know the best way to find a good Exchange 2013 (or 2010 if 2013 isn't available) course in Toronto Ontario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Global Knowledge has an office downtown on Bay St. My boyfriend has done a few training courses through them. They offer in-class or online.

E: Here's their schedule: http://www.globalknowledge.ca/training/locationdates.asp?pageid=58&hotelid=Q6UJ9A3UOYYS&country=Canada

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't know of anywhere else that you could ask a question that specific and get an answer based on personal experience in 15 minutes.

Currently awaiting my registration information, but once that arrives I'll be in a VCP class in the fall. FINALLY.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't know of anywhere else that you could ask a question that specific and get an answer based on personal experience in 15 minutes.

Currently awaiting my registration information, but once that arrives I'll be in a VCP class in the fall. FINALLY.

Yeah, the community here is pretty cool. I got into my VCP course this fall as well. 219 bucks for 16 Tuesday nights. I'm 32... I feel too old to go back to community college.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

VR Cowboy posted:

Global Knowledge has an office downtown on Bay St. My boyfriend has done a few training courses through them. They offer in-class or online.

E: Here's their schedule: http://www.globalknowledge.ca/training/locationdates.asp?pageid=58&hotelid=Q6UJ9A3UOYYS&country=Canada

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Why is it so drat hard to schedule an exam? The first place lost the password to generate exams and told me that they'd have it back within a few days. I gave them a week since I had finals and they still don't have it. I call the second nearest place and the only person that can schedule exams won't pick up his phone or return my voicemail. Might just have to drive a ways...

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
N+ right? Why can't you just schedule it on the Pearson Vue website?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I went there and ended up on a page with a bunch of phone numbers to call for the places near me. Am I supposed to schedule it online somewhere?

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

KetTarma posted:

I went there and ended up on a page with a bunch of phone numbers to call for the places near me. Am I supposed to schedule it online somewhere?

Yes. On the main page on the right click Learn, then IT and CompTIA. Then on the right is the option to schedule the test online, search for testing centers, etc. You'll need to make a Pearson Vue account.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Woo, figured it out. Hopefully I'll be posting Tuesday afternoon to say that I'm starting to work on S+ after successfully demonstrating the basics of computer networking.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

KetTarma posted:

I'm starting to work on S+ after successfully demonstrating the basics of computer networking.

Speaking of the S+, can anyone recommend a good book for it? Perhaps any other low-cost prep stuff?

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

DGK2000 posted:

Speaking of the S+, can anyone recommend a good book for it? Perhaps any other low-cost prep stuff?

Professor Messer's youtube videos are well done and free.
http://www.professormesser.com/free-comptia-security-training/security-plus-videos/

As for a book Darril Gibson's is usually highly recommended.
CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, the community here is pretty cool. I got into my VCP course this fall as well. 219 bucks for 16 Tuesday nights. I'm 32... I feel too old to go back to community college.

Dude, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by who populates CC night classes. At 35 I found myself dead center between college kids and 40-somethings. I got scoffed at when I referenced my age as a hindrance.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 9, 2013

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Passed SWITCH; exam seemed like it was written in English, translated into Japanese and then translated back into English. The wording on one question was so bad I actually left a comment in the exam asking them if they forgot a word or two. I'm probably going to sit for TSHOOT next weekend because I feel that I'm ready and I want to start poring over Routing TCP/IP and begin the unending climb toward the CCIE.

Have no idea how I should even begin to prepare for TSHOOT, so I'm going to play video games instead.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Dude, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by who populates CC night classes. At 35 I found myself dead center between college kids and 40-somethings. I got scoffed at when I referenced my age as a hindrance.

Yeah, When I went back to school to get my Bachelor's in Business Management, I was 30 and the average age was probably around 35. Lot's of older people with jobs go to the night classes.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Just finished with Odom's ICND2 book and lord is that man the driest writer I have ever encountered. He writes exactly like an instruction booklet. I also get the strong feeling he adds too much superfluous information that will not be on the test.

Is it possible to pass using just using Lammele's book or another author? The problem with Odom is that reading him and understanding him is work in and of itself. :smithicide: I've good some labbing to do now that's a positive at least.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I did the 2 part option and just used Lammle's book for both. Just go on the Cisco Learning site, look at the syllabus for ICND1/2, and then mark the appropriate pages on that tear-out at the front of the book.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Thanks, Getting through his writing alone was going to take another 2 weeks. I was just comparing Lammle's chapter on NAT to Odom's and the difference in readability is something else.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

skipdogg posted:

Got in for about $170, huzzah, finally my VCP! VMware's line of products has always been one of the two parts of my job I'm most passionate about, and not having a VCP, only-a-cert though it may be, has been holding me back a bit. Will be nice to fix that.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Aw man, since I haven't lived here a year yet, community college fees are outrageous. For a fall/winter class, 3 credits for in-state, in-district is $400, for out-of-state it's $2200. :smith:

The school a mile from my house does have vmware and cisco classes though, so in 8 months that'll be pretty cool :v:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Comradephate posted:

Aw man, since I haven't lived here a year yet, community college fees are outrageous. For a fall/winter class, 3 credits for in-state, in-district is $400, for out-of-state it's $2200. :smith:

The school a mile from my house does have vmware and cisco classes though, so in 8 months that'll be pretty cool :v:

Check out your school's policy on auditing classes. You might be able to sit in on the class for free or a reduced rate. You wouldn't get school credit for it, but if the point is to just learn the material, who cares?

If the school won't allow it, befriend the instructor and sit in on the class anyway.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

swampcow posted:

Check out your school's policy on auditing classes. You might be able to sit in on the class for free or a reduced rate. You wouldn't get school credit for it, but if the point is to just learn the material, who cares?

If the school won't allow it, befriend the instructor and sit in on the class anyway.

I thought about that, and I probably will for the Cisco stuff, but for VCP you need to prove that you actually took the class before you can get the cert, don't you?

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Protokoll posted:

Have no idea how I should even begin to prepare for TSHOOT, so I'm going to play video games instead.

TSHOOT is about methodology, either top down or bottom up. Imagine that a user calls you at work about not being able to connect to the internet. Do you assume that their switch port is bad or do you look at the routing in place? Start at the top, check the routing and then work your way down to the switch port. The same goes for the reverse if they can't pull an IP address, look at the switch port and then work your way up to where the DHCP server is located.

That's the standard methodology that they teach, there is also the intuitive approach that you'll see a lot of senior engineers perform that looks like haphazard guessing but is generally 100% accurate. You'll find yourself just knowing the answer from reading the question typically. That's where you want to be.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

swampcow posted:

I'm taking my course as a continuing ed student, it's almost half the cost due to some NSF grant the CC system here got.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Got in for about $170, huzzah, finally my VCP! VMware's line of products has always been one of the two parts of my job I'm most passionate about, and not having a VCP, only-a-cert though it may be, has been holding me back a bit. Will be nice to fix that.

VMware's stuff is pretty cool, but I do have reservations about it's long term viability in the marketplace though at the prices they're charging. With the push to the cloud, and with OpenStack and Hyper-V becoming more mature people are going to start really thinking about the licensing costs associated with VMware. We're spending 7K per 2 socket box, and while we're still finding value in VMware in our larger sites, I just got the go ahead to use Hyper-V in some of our smaller non critical sites to save on costs. Doesn't make sense to spend 14K on licensing for 11K worth of servers. A debate for another thread though.

Comradephate posted:

I thought about that, and I probably will for the Cisco stuff, but for VCP you need to prove that you actually took the class before you can get the cert, don't you?

Correct. You can take the test anytime you want, but you have to have the class as well before the cert is granted. I do like this idea, but it can make it cost prohibitive for folks to get the cert, as for profit training companies are charging 3K+ for the course.

Remy Marathe posted:

It might be a bit creepy, but they already have a listing of folks who have registered for the course and I looked half of them up on LinkedIn.. most of them are older than me, one guy judging his work history going back to the late 80's is probably in his 50's. It'll be fine I'm sure. It'll be weird walking back on a campus though.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 9, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here do beta exams for places like Cisco/Vmware/EMC/MS?

Any insight on how they vary? I've heard you usually need to do a write up or something on the test.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here do beta exams for places like Cisco/Vmware/EMC/MS?

Any insight on how they vary? I've heard you usually need to do a write up or something on the test.

Every question will allow you to provide feedback that ends up getting read. Also you may end taking the entire pool of questions instead of a subset of questions. For example; if you go to pearson right now to schedule an exam you might have 58 questions to answer but there are ~250-300 total possible questions.

If it's a VMware exam expect some new horrible means of answering a question that won't work. For example I took a beta design exam years ago that had a visio-like section. When I hit next it actually erased the whole diagram and I had to redraw it from scratch,

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

If it's a VMware exam expect some new horrible means of answering a question that won't work. For example I took a beta design exam years ago that had a visio-like section. When I hit next it actually erased the whole diagram and I had to redraw it from scratch,

Well I hope it has gotten a bit better since then, good news is I can get a head start on the new stuff and hopefully another cert I was looking to get anyways. Time to study

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 9, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well I hope it has gotten a bit better since then, good news is I can get a head start on the new stuff and hopefully another cert I was looking to get anyways. Time to study
If you find yourself particularly motivated, can you provide some good resources for studying for 2nd and 3rd tier VMware certs? The VCP has a book, official VCP guide, but beyond that it looks like we're on our own.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you find yourself particularly motivated, can you provide some good resources for studying for 2nd and 3rd tier VMware certs? The VCP has a book, official VCP guide, but beyond that it looks like we're on our own.

Yeah I meant to write about the VCAP-DCA but was caught up with new job/teaching job, I can't really write about this other test as it isn't even listed on their site.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 9, 2013

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

workape posted:

I read this as "smashing my face into a brickwall repeatedly" since I remember stuffing private VLAN's and VACL's back into my head.

I think that about sums it up, no wait, I'll take the brickwall option please.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Passed my ICND1 this afternoon with a 912.

I'm almost positive one of the questions was incorrect, too, is there a mechanism for reporting stuff like this? The question was a simple host range problem with the subnet being 192.168.4.0/26. That should include 192.168.4.1-192.168.4.62, and there was only one answer in that range and I had to choose two...

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

The Third Man posted:

Passed my ICND1 this afternoon with a 912.

I'm almost positive one of the questions was incorrect, too, is there a mechanism for reporting stuff like this?

Congrats.

Probably best to not talk about anything specific that happened on a test that asked you to agree to an NDA before you took it.

As for reporting it, I think you'll find that the test wasn't wrong: The order that numbers go in in the real world is what's wrong. You just have to learn the Cisco Way™

Seriously though, I'm not sure. I've heard people talk about simulation errors that were present, and then present again when they re-certified. Doesn't seem like Cisco is that fussed about it.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Comradephate posted:

Congrats.

Probably best to not talk about anything specific that happened on a test that asked you to agree to an NDA before you took it.

As for reporting it, I think you'll find that the test wasn't wrong: The order that numbers go in in the real world is what's wrong. You just have to learn the Cisco Way™

Seriously though, I'm not sure. I've heard people talk about simulation errors that were present, and then present again when they re-certified. Doesn't seem like Cisco is that fussed about it.

A good friend of mine who I was helping with his NA studies, when he took the exam the flash failed on the sim questions, took him about 2 months to get Cisco to give him a free retest (he did not push the issue hard, he only wanted a free test when he felt like he was ready again).

The way of The Cisco,

Two answers are flagrantly wrong.
One answer is right, except the tense of one word makes it wrong.
Two answers are almost of equal value, expect one is 51% and the other is 49%.

e. My spelling or proofreading skills suck.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Speaking of questionable questions. On my 70-464 this week there were quite a few questions based on choosing which feature/tool would address a problem with the least development effort. I can appreciate ensuring you know the relative complexity of various options, but that made for some very muddy answers.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Passed the JNCIA-JUNOS today.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Hey OP
Cert: VCAP-DCA
Study Material: Scott lowe, VMware troubleshooting brownbags and most importantly the blueprint
Things you will need to pass this exam: A lab where you can set up multiple vcenter server, and hosts
Exam overview: 4 Hours of ball busting Setup X, Y, Z

Honestly, you will need to run through the blueprint to pass this exam and have AT LEAST a years experience or some amazing spreging over VMware. This poo poo will push what you know vs. what you don't know, my advice, run over the blueprint find out what you don't know AKA, replacing ssl certs, autodeploy, etc and mark those down, if you can't remember how to do them know where to look for them when in the exam. Seriously you will need to run through the blueprint at least a few times to pass this if you don't work with vmware directly day to day. It is important to remain calm during the exam and make sure you keep an eye on your time, it is also important to note that some questions may build on another so keep an eye out.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Vmware press is probably one of the good places to look for things such as this, coupled with labs and some real world EXP there ain't much the DCA/DCD will touch else on. DCA feels a bit more Engineering base, while the DCD is more consulting. I wanted to get my DCD at the end of this month but another beta exam poped up and I am more interested in it than the DCD sadly.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 11, 2013

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It took a few tries but I knocked off the CCENT by the thinnest of margins (812). Does anyone have any advise on how I should handle studying for the CCNA?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Just passed my CSSA (NS-101) certification. Funny that my 3 year no-quit contact extends beyond the 2-year expiration. I'll renew on my own dime, methinks.

The class was wrought with technical difficulties, so we were able to squeeze out a free SRABA certification class credit from the training vendor. That hits in November.

Never been certified before! :feelsgood:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Dang new employer wants me to have the paper that says I know windows 7&8 rather than vouching for me since that looks better to potential clients.
What are the best study materials for MS 70-680,685 (win7),687, and 688(win8)? I want to be prepared for all the extra garbage no one uses questions.

E: these are for MCSA Desktop, then moving up to MCSE Server

AAB fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Comradephate posted:

From what I've read Microsoft has in the past put intentionally and clearly wrong answers in their exams to try and red flag a person for further review with the assumption that if you got it "correct" you either guessed (not bad) or used outside guidance. They don't count the question obviously.