Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ProfessorProf posted:

The latest of Isayama's fake preview splashes:

Armin is Princess Serenity-Titan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

of bees posted:

Don't forget that previously Ymir said she had been a titan for about 60 years. So either what she stole allowed her to become human again, or the flashback with Bert and Ernie happened a looooong time ago.

That's my guess, actually.

It never made any sense to me that Bert and Reiner could do all they did if they were about the same age as Eren were during the first attack. They were probably adults already, they are probably a lot older than we know, just like Ymir.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

One thing I'm surprised nobody is talking about is the fact Berthold and Reiner's group has complete control inside and outside the walls. This is a pretty significant development, this means that this isn't a battle between the monarchy/wallcult and the warrior group outside. They're likely the same organization.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nelson Mandingo posted:

One thing I'm surprised nobody is talking about is the fact Berthold and Reiner's group has complete control inside and outside the walls. This is a pretty significant development, this means that this isn't a battle between the monarchy/wallcult and the warrior group outside. They're likely the same organization.

Not at all, where are you getting that from?

Ymir is capturing Historia to get pardon by their faction, and Historia is important for then because she can reveal wall secrets, know by the cult. If they want/need that information, its because they are not from the same organization, and are likely enemies

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Not at all, where are you getting that from?

Ymir is capturing Historia to get pardon by their faction, and Historia is important for then because she can reveal wall secrets, know by the cult. If they want/need that information, its because they are not from the same organization, and are likely enemies

You're right, I was reading a mistranslation. Just came back to edit my post.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

of bees posted:

I really hope they end it with this page right here. Especially if they end up waiting a year or two before doing season two of the show.

The last line of the anime should be: "It was the worst day of humanity, again."

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Armin is Princess Serenity-Titan?

Pretty sure that's Christa, Armin's the one in the dead center.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, Armin is the middle-aged bobblehead titan in that image. It's in the same order as the panel of them biting their thumbs.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

kater posted:

So this last episode had a bunch of confusing poo poo piled onto the ending and I decided to read a little of this thread to see if anything makes sense and instead I see big black bricks of people talking about how everyone in the loving army is a goddamn titan?

What the flying gently caress, that makes no sense at all. That doesn't even... what. I came in here supposing that the dude escaped by firing his flare gun, she paused is because of some bizarre sense of guilt or suspicion Arwin was talking about Eren or something, and the reason she changed course is her super titan eavesdropping power.

I can't even tell if this is a running joke or not, but if you guyses' speculation is right and not just some fun conspiracy theory I hope they justify it well. From the face of it that seems even dumber than Eren's bullshit revival.
Good job :airquote: speculating :airquote:, whoever that was. Annie is a fair enough deduction to make at this point because of the increased detail of the anime but I don't buy for a second that someone deduced the entire Reiner fakeout unspoiled. (Even the savant who made the original prediction post did so later in the series than they are now.)

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Elotana posted:

Good job :airquote: speculating :airquote:, whoever that was. Annie is a fair enough deduction to make at this point because of the increased detail of the anime but I don't buy for a second that someone deduced the entire Reiner fakeout unspoiled. (Even the savant who made the original prediction post did so later in the series than they are now.)

Yeah we have a lot of confirmed shitlords in the anime thread and have had them there since day one. It's tragic but that's life.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I'm still catching up in this thread (around page 42 or so) but I've watched and read all of the story that has been translated thus far. It was really fascinating to read everyone's speculation and logic through the lens of hindsight. I was blown away how well some reasoned out future events. Kudos to you on thinking like the mangaka.

On the (long ago) topic of Attack on Titan being an awkward name as a result of the mangaka's tenuous understanding of English, I'm curious what other anime/manga that have been released in English also have awkward or funny English titles.
Blue Gender?
XXXholic?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The series will always be Advance of the Giants in my mind.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Genocyber posted:

spoiler everyone's secretly a titan

it's a joke preview image, not actually a spoiler
Hey maybe don't post this because it tells them who isn't a titan and gives the chin-rubbers in that thread an excuse to SPECULATE about the characters who aren't in the picture.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 30, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Titan!Armin's face....I swear I've seen it somewhere before. This is going to bug me for a while.

Christa the Angel Titan made me laugh the most. Yes, more than Connie's Titan form being the same size as Connie is normally.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Given, you know, the story, I'm consistently surprised by how funny Isayama Hajime is. Everything he does that isn't actually the canon manga pages is hilarious.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

Given, you know, the story, I'm consistently surprised by how funny Isayama Hajime is. Everything he does that isn't actually the canon manga pages is hilarious.

Are you perhaps forgetting this?

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Are you perhaps forgetting this?

Up to and including parts of the manga, I think.

I would totally love to see an Isayama comedy manga, though, no doubt. Maybe he can do it with that MMA fighter Mikasa AU he seems so enamored with.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZeeToo posted:

A lot of the manga is actually pretty funny though?

I'm of the opinion that you can't really write the type of "grimdark" story that Attack of Titan does if you don't have a good sense of humor.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

LightningKnight posted:

Up to and including parts of the manga, I think.

I would totally love to see an Isayama comedy manga, though, no doubt. Maybe he can do it with that MMA fighter Mikasa AU he seems so enamored with.

gently caress, it's not so long ago I started reading, and it's still weird to go back and look at how, er, unaccomplished he was as an artist back then, all weird hands and white spaces. It still looks like the scanned pencils make it into the publication now, but it looked frankly amateur back then save for certain things (yes, Sasha-face is great) I honestly think the weird proportions of the regular titans might just be a result of a poor grasp of anatomy early on.

And it reminds me, the earliest instance of call-forward in the manga: Eren being woken up my Mikasa and not remembering how he got there. Assuming the guy in the intro isn't the drill instructor who somehow aged more than Erwin. When all said and done, folks may talk about this series like Arrested Development.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 30, 2017

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fun fact (if Google Translate is to believed): Not only did Rorschach from Watchmen inspire Levi's height, he's also the reason Mikasa wears a scarf.

I've read (somewhere on the internet) that Erwin Smith was modeled from Ozymandias in Watchmen as well.

Je suis fatigue posted:

Where can I find more of these?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

The author has got quite the humor.

vvv Oh absolutely! I can relate to that. :(

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 9, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
To be fair, bumping your shin on something like that really does hurt something awful!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PowFu posted:

I've read (somewhere on the internet) that Erwin Smith was modeled from Ozymandias in Watchmen as well.
You know, now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance (if that is true). Especially to the actor who played Ozymandias in the live action film.

Given how Watchmen turns out....this makes me wonder if Erwin's got a giant squid monster waiting in the wings to unleash on the human populace. Or if said squid monster is what's hidden in the basement, and Erwin wants to use it for his own purposes. :tinfoil:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The only reason I think Sasha won't ever die in this series is because she provides the most comic relief. If say, she were the first to get offed, I'd lose faith in any more funny moments (not counting non-cannon doodles, of course).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Another one of Isayama's fake previews.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AradoBalanga posted:

I would be legitimately okay with the manga suddenly having Eren wake up, everything so far having been one hell of a dream, and then drifting into a Mikasa and Eren brother/sister MMA series. Like Teppuu with better abs and somehow more crazy.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

AradoBalanga posted:

These are wonderful and I demand you post more of them. :allears:

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

I saw Titan Armin's face and was like, yeah that's pretty hilarious.

Then I saw the rest of his body and lost it.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
The fact that walls aren't connected to each other at all really give me the feeling that they weren't originally build for protection. If they were really meant to minimize threat from titans they'd look more like this:

This way a single breach wouldn't risk an entire circle being lost to the titans, plus supplies and troops could move along the wall where it's safer. Also a giant ditch around wall Maria with draw bridges would have been wise.

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the walls are either a corral or a seal. Their primary purpose isn't keeping something outside, it's keeping something inside.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

These are wonderful and I demand you post more of them. :allears:
Other than the "Everyone is a Titan" one, that's all I could find. Sorry. :(

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Here are the other joke previews from the manga.

Hanji makes a friend:

Jean is masturbating:

Sasha punches Reiner:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

my dad posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the walls are either a corral or a seal. Their primary purpose isn't keeping something outside, it's keeping something inside.

RAMPANT SPECULATION:

Titans are the collective fears of humanity, given form. That is why they are so light (no substance) and disappear if confronted/overcome. However, they can easily kill a human too weak to handle them (they are devoured by their own fears). But if all humans are killed, the titans would disappear, so they took a bunch of humans and stuck them inside the walls were they will live forever in fear. Walls are ultimately monuments to fear of the outside.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

RAMPANT SPECULATION:

Titans are the collective fears of humanity, given form. That is why they are so light (no substance) and disappear if confronted/overcome. However, they can easily kill a human too weak to handle them (they are devoured by their own fears). But if all humans are killed, the titans would disappear, so they took a bunch of humans and stuck them inside the walls were they will live forever in fear. Walls are ultimately monuments to fear of the outside.

I really hope not, because that would be incredibly lame.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I haven't really be keeping up on all the speculation but has anyone floated the idea that (ENDGAME SPECULATION) this is a Jekyll and Hyde analog? Like, maybe not on the symbolic or allegorical level but borrowing the form? Scientists create some kind of formula that grants eternal youth and rapidly heals injuries. They distribute it to the public who take it but eventually discover it has disastrous side-effects in that it overstimulates cell growth and turns people into titans. This very much has the feel of a Jules Verne or H.G. Wells story with a modern, horror sensibility. Maybe it's just the turn-of-the-century, technological aesthetic.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I don't want this spiritual hocus pocus explanation for the titans. I want something tangible and real. The series is pointing to that so far, with Eren & the Basement and Yamir stating that she gained her powers through Bert and Reiner's comrades.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cross-posting some new information on the webgame I mentioned a few days ago from the anime thread.

AradoBalanga posted:

Got some more information on the webgame I mentioned a few days ago. You can actually join the closed beta through NicoNico Douga (for the NicoNico version; seems like there will be different versions). The beta starts on August 20th and there are a few prizes for joining early.

Some screens showing off the interface, which looks like a...card game/RPGish game? I like Sasha's outfit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I know it's been said again and again but maaan is Mikasa so awesome.