Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Went to Five Guys last night, only had to wait about 10 minutes for our food. Thought the burger was exceptionally decent (cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, onions, ketchup, mustard) but the fries were overpriced, soggy and terrible, didn't fancy the cajun spice either. The 100+ flavour coke machine was cool.

Then we wandered down to Shake Shack and got a concrete each which was insanely overpriced at £4 for a cup of icecream. The service there seemed really disorganised with a shitload of staff kind of standing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
I'm going to England for about nine days in August. I suppose what I'm looking for while I'm over there is at least one slap up meal. My publishers are around the corner from St. John Bread and Wine. Does it live up to its reputation, or should I be on the lookout for something else?

Also, any pub recommendations are welcome. I'm actually on pretty decent terms with the Craft Beer Company fellows and I seem to be touring breweries as research for a series of pieces I'm writing (although I'd swear this started as a vacation.)

Actually, If anyone's got any opinion on where to eat dinner in Sheffield, I'd love to hear it.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Bread and Wine is not quite the same as the main St John restaurant near Smithfield. It sounds a bit more geared towards breakfast and lunch and a casual snack whereas St Johns is well regarded for dinner. I haven't actually been to Bread and Wine though.

I need a recommendation in a similar area... anywhere to grab a quick lunch near Old Broad St, basically between Bank and Liverpool St stations?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I really enjoyed St John's Bread and Wine when I went for lunch awhile back. :)

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
I suppose I should also ask whether anyone has an opinion on Whyte and Brown, being as how I've managed to somehow swangle a place at a craft beer dinner in August.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I want to go out for a good steak for my birthday. I'm currently between Marco Pierre White's steakhouse or Hawksmoor. Is one better than another? Are there any other places I should be considering? Also is there much between the various Hawksmoor venues or are they all pretty much the same (I'll most likely be going to the Spitalfields one if I choose it).

quote:

I need a recommendation in a similar area... anywhere to grab a quick lunch near Old Broad St, basically between Bank and Liverpool St stations?

Might not be what you're looking for exactly, but the Street Kitchen van in Broadgate Circle does some amazing salads. Probably the best I've ever eaten. With the weather the way it is it can be pretty good to grab something from there and sit outside on one of the tables nearby.

e: It's actually in Finsbury Ave. Square now http://www.streetkitchen.co.uk/home.shtml

Raffles fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 24, 2013

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I think the Hawksmoor packs more of a punch. I love Seven Dials, if only for it's extrodinary bar. Make sure you have a cocktail before your meal. :)

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

Raffles posted:

I want to go out for a good steak for my birthday. I'm currently between Marco Pierre White's steakhouse or Hawksmoor. Is one better than another? Are there any other places I should be considering? Also is there much between the various Hawksmoor venues or are they all pretty much the same (I'll most likely be going to the Spitalfields one if I choose it).

Air Street has an expanded menu with fish but apart from that they are much the same.

http://www.goodmanrestaurants.com/ Goodman is worth a look, they have steaks from a greater number of suppliers and for what it's worth I prefer them. Hawksmoor and them are the best in London and there isn't much between them. Don't bother with MPW.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hawksmoor all the way. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Goodman and Hawksmoor blow MPW out of the water.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've not been to Hawksmoor yet but MPW is decidedly meh.

Also full of the worst sort of city boy wankers.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I'm now upset if Hawksmoor is among the best steak in the city.

Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I like better than great.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Go to Goodman. Ask for a fillet. Charred outside rare inside. Eat.

Marvel at how awesome it is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

angelicism posted:

I'm now upset if Hawksmoor is among the best steak in the city.

Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I like better than great.
Realistically, if Hawksmoore isn't good enough, you're better off doing it at home.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I once had amazing steak in Buen Ayre in Hackney. Went there with a few friends and two of us shared the Parrillada Deluxe platter; sirloin and rib-eye steaks with sausage, black pudding and provolone cheese. It was absolutely amazing, the steaks were absolutely giant but cooked perfectly. I highly recommend it, I haven't been to Hawksmoor but it was by far the best steak I've ever had. It cost about £45 per person but that included the platter, sides, beer, and some spirits.

I'm so hungry now.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 25, 2013

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

No Wave posted:

Realistically, if Hawksmoore isn't good enough, you're better off doing it at home.

If I had the kitchen to do it at home, I would. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dad wants to go get pub grub while we're here. What's everyone's favorite places 'round EDIT: Shoreditch? I've got the suggestions from earlier, as well.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 28, 2013

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Dad wants to go get pub grub while we're here. What's everyone's favorite places 'round EDIT: Shoreditch? I've got the suggestions from earlier, as well.

Well and Bucket.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got back from Needoo. Holy god, I can't move. That was loving delicious. :kimchi: The fam loved it too (although my sister's guts don't agree with spice much).

We came there around 945-10 and were told there'd be a wait of ~45 minutes, but we got in within 25 or so. Surprisingly cheap for a London restaurant too, we didn't quite hit 60q to feed a family of five. I noticed that there wasn't an alcohol section, which I understood after walking around the neighborhood a bit.

Definitely go there if you have a chance. I'll have to drag dad to 3 Crowns tomorrow...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Just got back from Needoo. Holy god, I can't move. That was loving delicious. :kimchi: The fam loved it too (although my sister's guts don't agree with spice much).

We came there around 945-10 and were told there'd be a wait of ~45 minutes, but we got in within 25 or so. Surprisingly cheap for a London restaurant too, we didn't quite hit 60q to feed a family of five. I noticed that there wasn't an alcohol section, which I understood after walking around the neighborhood a bit.

Definitely go there if you have a chance. I'll have to drag dad to 3 Crowns tomorrow...

You'll love Tayyabs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Had another good meal at Season last week, and my seriously foodie friend and wife loved theirs there the week before.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Any good breakfast places round Victoria? On Friday I've got a friend getting off a coach at 7:45 and back on at 10:30, so we're planning to meet in between.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picante Mexican does breakfasts and it's my favourite place around Victoria.

It's probably 15mins away from the coach station.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone been to Street Feast since it's it has been in Dalston Yard?

Highlights have included Ribman, Yum Jungle, Honest Burger, Dogtown and I love the popcorn shrimp from Redhook. There's also a nifty gin bar around the back.

This weekend's vendors: http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/#!blank/c1qke

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

Quoted for truth.

The breakfast burritos are massive and you probably wont need lunch.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

ineptmule posted:

Thank you, I love a Mexican breakfast! Mmmm rancheros

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Suprise birthday dinner at the Hawksmoor tonight :feelsgood:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I took out a friend to Hawksmoor for a goodbye dinner last night (he's back off home to Australia for god knows how many years). I wanted to book a table at Seven Dials, but there was nothing free till 830, so I booked at Air Street instead. It's so different from Seven Dials, and is completely lacking in any sort of character. There's this sort of 70s rarified atmosphere in the place that's hard to describe, but it lacks any of the warmth of Seven Dials, and I really wish I'd been able to change it. Food was still drat good, of course.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
50% off soft launch dinner Le Coq just down the road from Trullo in Islington, sounds like it might be a pretty good deal? Tuesday 20 - Sunday 25 Aug, but walk ins only...

http://hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/Latest-news/more-details-about-islington-s-lecoq-revealed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Luxe in Spitalfields has surprisingly and rapidly shut up shop. It was there last Thursday with no indication they'd be closing, and now, gone. Something called Smiths is replacing it though. Shame, they did a very nice cup of coffee.

EDIT: Ah, Smith's owns the Luxe, so it's just rebranding. Ok, good.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 15, 2013

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Has anyone been to Street Feast since it's it has been in Dalston Yard?

Highlights have included Ribman, Yum Jungle, Honest Burger, Dogtown and I love the popcorn shrimp from Redhook. There's also a nifty gin bar around the back.

This weekend's vendors: http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/#!blank/c1qke

Yeah Dalston Yard is a great venue for it. A great way to spend a Friday night if the weather is nice.

I'm cycling down to Victoria Park on Sunday and need recommendations for somewhere to have lunch. Not fussy about cuisine anything decent will do.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

The_Doctor posted:

The Luxe in Spitalfields has surprisingly and rapidly shut up shop. It was there last Thursday with no indication they'd be closing, and now, gone. Something called Smiths is replacing it though. Shame, they did a very nice cup of coffee.

EDIT: Ah, Smith's owns the Luxe, so it's just rebranding. Ok, good.

Oh, two Smiths in the same area, cool, http://www.theluxe.co.uk/

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Raffles posted:

I'm cycling down to Victoria Park on Sunday and need recommendations for somewhere to have lunch. Not fussy about cuisine anything decent will do.

The junction of Victoria Park Rd and Lauriston Rd just north of Victoria Park has a nice collection of restaurants and pubs, that's your best bet.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

reality_groove posted:

The junction of Victoria Park Rd and Lauriston Rd just north of Victoria Park has a nice collection of restaurants and pubs, that's your best bet.

Great cheers pal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Going to eat out for my birthday on the bank holiday, any recommendations for around Clapham, Putney, London Bridge or Victoria? We're taking the train from Chichester way and meeting my brother if that suggest s other locations. Something with a £20 menu or the like would be ideal, so far we're looking at a bunch of places that do Evening Standard offers.

Not really singled out a cuisine yet, Pont De La Tour and Blueprint Cafe look good.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Hey guys, any ideas for a good 'ole fish n chips or other pub lunch? Around Farringdon, St pauls, Moorgate, Barbican, etc..

My default is the Sports Bar & Grill in Farringdon for a burger but looking for somewhere with more character!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For fish & chips, my recommendation is Poppies in Spitalfields/Brick Lane.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
Best pub in that area is the Fox and Anchor (http://www.foxandanchor.com) by a considerable margin - does a mean fish and chips as well.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

powertoiletduck posted:

Best pub in that area is the Fox and Anchor (http://www.foxandanchor.com) by a considerable margin - does a mean fish and chips as well.

I've never even heard of that place. So confused. So I'll chuck in a vote for the Old Red Cow, who have great beer and a seriously varied menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Kaiho posted:

I've never even heard of that place. So confused. So I'll chuck in a vote for the Old Red Cow, who have great beer and a seriously varied menu.

Thanks guys, know them both and both excellent pubs. If you walked out of the Old Red Cow and kept walking in a straight line you would end up at the Fox.