Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I appended it to the resources section, though once it gets archived many of us won't be able to view it. I wish that SA forums allowed for nested spoilers instead of a black censor.

Edit: I can link to your post, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, now's the time to let me know if there are any especially important things that need to be grabbed from the old thread - I can still open and close it for the time being, so any utilities we'll be losing in the near future are still available until it hits archives. But kind of a time sensitive thing. :)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey, Midorka, the new OP doesn't warn users off of Beats. Is that intentional? In other words, did they start making some headphones that are not terrible? Their reputation online seems terrible.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

A quick note on isolation:

Know thy enemy: How auditory masking makes high-end headphones useless on-the-go

I've been seeing a lot of people on the subway and even on airplanes with open-backed headphones, and really, I have only one question about this: Why?!

If you've read the OP, you know very well that what is going to work best for you depends entirely on how you're going to use it. In the case of high-end open-backed headphones, you're cheating yourself if you listen to them in anything but a low-noise environment because what you end up hearing from the cans will be very different from what it should be in the presence of outside noise.

One of the most prominent biological phenomena that you've never heard about is auditory masking. While that link can tell you just about everything you need to know, the Cliffs' notes is this:

With sounds that are close in frequency, your brain will disregard the sound with the lower volume, leaving you to only hear the louder one (for all you nerds out there, the sounds have to be within the same critical band) while the quieter sound is muted. So what does this mean for the casual listener? Well, mostly that isolation is probably one of the most important things to look at when buying a set of cans to be used on the subway/airplane/outdoors.

In short, outside noise will make your brain toss out a lot of the music that you're listening to in favor of the louder (and most often garbage) noise. Even if it isn't "muted," many of your music's notes will sound quieter than they should due to this same biological response, thereby impacting how you hear the sound. This, in turn, will cause you to do one of two things: crank up your volume to "drown out" the noise (thereby potentially subjecting yourself to hearing loss), or suck it up, get pissed, and look for better headphones. Really, the best thing you can do for smartphone or mobile use is to get a pair of in-ears, or well-attenuating on/over-ears. Active noise-cancelers work well too, but physically blocking the noise out is usually easier and cheaper. You can find reviews online with isolation tests that should give you a better picture of what you need.

Essentially, if you insist on using open-backed headphones in the wild your music will sound like poo poo in a high-noise environment-it'll be a lot like a telephone making your voice sound bad, but with different sounds. Sure, high-end headphones may ace all the tests of reviewers and come with glowing praise from everybody, but if you don't use them as they're intended, you're just screwing yourself. No portable amp, "can openers," or other placebo will make them sound better in a safe way. Buy a set fits your needs in order to get the best results—there is no such thing as the "best headphones," just the "best headphones for you."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey, Midorka, the new OP doesn't warn users off of Beats. Is that intentional? In other words, did they start making some headphones that are not terrible? Their reputation online seems terrible.

Beats draw a lot of flak for claiming things like "studio sound" which couldn't be further from the truth; I imagine part of the disdain for those cans is also their loyal following and perpetrated myth by schoolchildren that they're somehow the "best." Some of the hate is warranted, but a couple of models are... well... at least understandable in some sort of sense.

Beats are status symbols first and foremost, so sound quality isn't always their main concern. They've got the branding and the rep, and that's largely how they make their money. However, they do have a sort of trick up their sleeve that has to do with masking, so this is an opportune moment to yak on about this.

Beats bump bass. To a stupid degree- most often to making your music sound kinda bad, to be honest. However, when you're wearing your status symbol outside and the city street is loud, those headphones don't sound quite as terrible-they're masking engine noise with that absurd bass. Because most cheapo headphones at the drugstore don't block out noise (nor work well to begin with), recent converts to shelling out a bunch of cash for headphones will hear the difference—it is there, after all. However, I'd caution against actually buying headphones that do that—bombarding your inner ear with more noise to drown out other noise is dangerous to your health, and can lead to acceleration of noise-induced hearing loss. In every scenario, if you can block the noise instead of mask it, do that.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
So nobody has a recommendation for non-poo poo exercise earbuds? At this point I'm pretty sure whoever told me to buy the M6P was secretly trying to punish me for my past posting misdeeds.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TenementFunster posted:

So nobody has a recommendation for non-poo poo exercise earbuds? At this point I'm pretty sure whoever told me to buy the M6P was secretly trying to punish me for my past posting misdeeds.

I've used M6Ps as workout buds for two years, and I gave my sister a pair last Christmas for running and capoeira. The build quality actually stands up quite well to abuse.

As for the memory wire, well, you only have to figure it out once.

If you're truly not happy with them, you can try the JVC Riptidz, Monster iSport series or something from H2O audio.

grack fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 7, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

TenementFunster posted:

I would say some sort of Klipsch S4 but apparently they're no longer cool :(

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

To the guy with the Shure iems asking about tips: get the Shure 'black olive' tips and avoid the Comply tips. I have had a single pair of black olive tips last years (5+) whereas comply last a month or two. The black olives are more comfortable and can be washed, too.
I only went to comply when I changed to iems that didn't fit the black olives.

I actually convinced the manufacturer to find a tip with the same material as the black olive and when their new stuff is released they will be standard kit.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
is the Shure SE215 no drat good? I liked my pair of SE115 and the e2c pair I had before that

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't know if there's a thread where I'll have more luck with this question, but does anyone know a place to get a good deal on custom-molded earplugs? I like how Etymotics plugs let some highs through for a more natural, less muffled concert experience, but my ears are so small that even their "baby blue" versions cause pain.

The lab that made my custom IEMs doesn't keep molds, and after 4 years, I assume my doctor-made impressions are no longer accurate enough due to shrinkage and maybe ear changes.

Are earplugs closer to a "commodity product" than IEMs, so maybe I can find a local place to both take impressions and make plugs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Um... we kinda need to know where you are?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
St. Louis or Kansas City. I've put in emails to the Ety dealer listed for both cities, but haven't gotten a response in just over a day, and Ety doesn't seem to list prices online for their custom plugs.

Alien Ears did a decent job with my IEMs, and they've got plugs that *appear* to use Ety filters for $130, plus the ~$40 I'll pay a doc for impressions.

UE has a pair for $170 and I think I remember hearing that they archive molds, so I could save a step if I want some of their IEMs win the next 10 years, but I don't know that I'd ever benefit there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Etymotic has a partnership with ACS for doing custom tips for headsets. I think it's ~$150 + molds, but you're guaranteed to get tips made for Etymotic 'phones.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I kind of lumped them in with Monster, but good call. I'll fix that.

@Wug, thanks for another good post.

As for M6, they are the best quality/price ratio for exercise IEMs you will find.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know if there's a thread where I'll have more luck with this question, but does anyone know a place to get a good deal on custom-molded earplugs?

Are earplugs closer to a "commodity product" than IEMs, so maybe I can find a local place to both take impressions and make plugs?

Look for an audiologist in your area.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is sort of related to the exercise headphones question I guess (particularly earbuds/IEMs). Is there a way to prevent cable noise other than ear loops, and/or are there other designs/materials that can get around it or is it just kind of inherent because of the general earbud design of cables going straight to your ears?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just a repost from the first page:

I'm going travelling soon so I'm looking to sell my Beats Solo HD (don't judge me!) and buy something more portable, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations from people who know what they're talking about (that's you!).

Budget up to $200, IEMs for portability, they'll be plugged into a phone (Galaxy Note, though I also have a Fiio E7). I do like my Beats, I think the bass sounds good and the audio is clear. I mainly listen to rock, so I guess something that has good bass and clear vocals? Basically if Queen sounds good on it, I'll be OK. I'll be OK.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

japtor posted:

This is sort of related to the exercise headphones question I guess (particularly earbuds/IEMs). Is there a way to prevent cable noise other than ear loops, and/or are there other designs/materials that can get around it or is it just kind of inherent because of the general earbud design of cables going straight to your ears?

The only way is to stop the vibrations before they get to the IEM. This can be done by a cable cinch, included on most IEMs, or by wearing over ear.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midorka posted:

As for M6, they are the best quality/price ratio for exercise IEMs you will find.
is there anything that is more expensive but has a better remote function? the m6p is just an external slider, not a integrated control like on past remotes I have used. I don't mind spending more on something I'll be using drat near everyday

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

is there anything that is more expensive but has a better remote function? the m6p is just an external slider, not a integrated control like on past remotes I have used. I don't mind spending more on something I'll be using drat near everyday

There are a few Monster iSport headphones with Control Talk modules. A little overpriced, perhaps, but they go on sale regularly and reviews are generally positive.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What has everyone's experience been with Bluetooth headphones? I'm tired of getting tangled and adjusting my headphones when I lift, so I'm thinking of going with some wireless IEMs. I'm looking through some reviews, but I'd like as many perspectives as possible.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I wish I could PM you :sigh:

On the whole, bluetooth headphones are usually fine, but many are fairly overpriced for the sound quality they produce. I've seen $300+ BT headphones completely suck, but cheaper ones do okay before, so it is a bit tough without a ton of objective reviews out there.

Aaaaanyways, you should email me-

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 9, 2013

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You know what? I just added platinum just for you. PM away!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anymore recommendations for sports earbuds? I run a lot and go through a pair of IEMs every 4-6 months. The left bud always goes and then the volume on the right gets really low. I don't know if it is the moisture or I'm blowing them by playing my music too loud.

edit: Just saw Midorka's post which matched with my personal trainer's recommendation...ordered M6P :)

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 9, 2013

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Hey, Midorka, I notice you say in the OP that you had the O2 and now the Magni. Did you have a chance to compare them or notice anything that was better on one over the other? I have a pair of low impedance headphones and I'm trying to find as "transparent" of an amp as I can. The best I've found is a brief comparison of the two saying that the Magni isn't as artificial-sounding and doesn't constrain the soundstage compared to the O2, but not much else.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dillweed posted:

Hey, Midorka, I notice you say in the OP that you had the O2 and now the Magni. Did you have a chance to compare them or notice anything that was better on one over the other? I have a pair of low impedance headphones and I'm trying to find as "transparent" of an amp as I can. The best I've found is a brief comparison of the two saying that the Magni isn't as artificial-sounding and doesn't constrain the soundstage compared to the O2, but not much else.

I didn't directly compare them because I sold my O2 right as I got my Magni and was about to ship it out. The Magni is larger and looks much nicer. As for the sound, they both sound clean and don't change my headphones. As for the other mumbo jumbo I couldn't tell a difference, nothing glaring for sure.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Hey remember when you got all goon lord on me for getting my Schiit rig when I noted that I liked the aesthetics? Pretty sweet of you do the same thing a few months later, bro. Glad to hear you got over your super principled dislike of the company!

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Huh. Alright, sounds like I'll probably go for the Magni then. Cheaper than a pre-built O2 here, and I'd rather have the input on the back anyway.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dillweed posted:

Huh. Alright, sounds like I'll probably go for the Magni then. Cheaper than a pre-built O2 here, and I'd rather have the input on the back anyway.
Not so fast, dude! Our pal had some quite negative opinions about their products in the very recent past!

Midorka of Christmas Past posted:

gently caress Schiit. What a joke company.

I hate Schiit.

l just loving hate Schiit and their business practices and the image they give off

They are poorly designed nice looking paperweights that have destroyed headphones. overpriced snake-oil

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

Hey remember when you got all goon lord on me for getting my Schiit rig when I noted that I liked the aesthetics? Pretty sweet of you do the same thing a few months later, bro. Glad to hear you got over your super principled dislike of the company!

Yup, you're right. I'm eating my words. To be fair, when I had my attitude towards them it was still relatively recent after they had the relay problems that they denied and it was damaging headphones. They did a great job replacing the relays though and they also released the Modi and Magni which is priced incredibly cheap. I doubt they're making a big profit. It doesn't hurt that I'm in direct contact with Jason, the owner of Schiit, and he's a real stand-up guy. I'm eating my words now though.

Edit: You should probably stop the sarcastic onslaught though.

@dillweed: Definitely get a Magni, you'll need to buy your own RCA cables though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 10, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

E: disregard this post

This is a safe space for people with questions about headphones and headphone-related items.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I've seen vitriol directed towards them before and their honest reactions and actions going towards solving issues, so I'm not too worried about dealing with them. And no worries about cabling as I have enough to last me if/when the current ones deteriorate.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midorka posted:

Yup, you're right. I'm eating my words. To be fair, when I had my attitude towards them it was still relatively recent after they had the relay problems that they denied and it was damaging headphones. They did a great job replacing the relays though and they also released the Modi and Magni which is priced incredibly cheap. I doubt they're making a big profit. It doesn't hurt that I'm in direct contact with Jason, the owner of Schiit, and he's a real stand-up guy. I'm eating my words now though.

Edit: You should probably stop the sarcastic onslaught though.
If you think an "Internet Expert" is gonna get a pass on pulling a complete 180 on a hysterical, dumbfuck opinion then you seriously need to get a reality check. Constantly giving out recommendations as if they were the revealed word of Jesus Christ then backtracking once you simply change your "attitude" is a doing a disservice to everyone who comes in this thread looking for advice.

You should probably be a little more reluctant to post post post.

Dillweed posted:

I've seen vitriol directed towards them before and their honest reactions and actions going towards solving issues, so I'm not too worried about dealing with them. And no worries about cabling as I have enough to last me if/when the current ones deteriorate.
If you do have any issues, their customer service is among the best. Hard to beat getting an e-mail from the Guy In Charge within 90 minutes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

If you think an "Internet Expert" is gonna get a pass on pulling a complete 180 on a hysterical, dumbfuck opinion then you seriously need to get a reality check. Constantly giving out recommendations as if they were the revealed word of Jesus Christ then backtracking once you simply change your "attitude" is a doing a disservice to everyone who comes in this thread looking for advice.

You should probably be a little more reluctant to post post post.

Ah man cut him a break, he admitted he was hasty and in my opinion he's had a lot of experience since then. This may be a pet issue for you, but it's clearly no longer a pet issue for him, he said he was sorry for hurting your feelings before, and that he was wrong at that - who admits guilt on the internet?? woah - let's just all chill out :)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Agreed posted:

Ah man cut him a break, he admitted he was hasty and in my opinion he's had a lot of experience since then. This may be a pet issue for you, but it's clearly no longer a pet issue for him, he said he was sorry for hurting your feelings before, and that he was wrong at that - who admits guilt on the internet?? woah - let's just all chill out :)
I am. That doesn't mean we don't all need a reminder to be a little less beholden to Internet Experts and the whole Flavor of the Month-ism that drives this and other hobbies. If somebody is gonna lay out a few hundred bucks on something, it needs to be for actual reasons, not Head-Fi bullshit nerd vendettas. I would be pretty pissed if I spent my money on something one week, just to hear the same person who was badmouthing it do a compete about-face the next.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I... have to agree. This thread is two pages in and I've already had two people jump up my rear end in a top hat for daring to state that *gasp* Monster has some good quality products that shouldn't be overlooked.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I decided to look into the two amps a bit more. Supposedly the Magni might not be a great pairing with sub-30Ω/really sensitive headphones because of the single gain setting? It also ends up around the same price as an assembled O2 to get it shipped across the border. Hrmm... :shrug: Guess I'll do a little more checking before I commit to something.

edit: Actually, if you're willing to drop the source (in my case sound card) volume control, you can probably still get a proper range of volume adjustment on the Magni. What effect that has on the resulting sound compared to having the source at 100%, I don't know.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 10, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

I am. That doesn't mean we don't all need a reminder to be a little less beholden to Internet Experts and the whole Flavor of the Month-ism that drives this and other hobbies. If somebody is gonna lay out a few hundred bucks on something, it needs to be for actual reasons, not Head-Fi bullshit nerd vendettas. I would be pretty pissed if I spent my money on something one week, just to hear the same person who was badmouthing it do a compete about-face the next.

People are always going to have opinions on things, and when you ask their opinion, that's what you're going to get. I think it makes complete sense to warn people off products that may have issues. Even if they turn out fine, there are a ton of other good products to get instead, and it's not worth the risk. We should stop recommending something when potential issues crop up, and start recommending them again when those issues are addressed, not going "oh well, it's probably fine."

Same thing with Gigabyte motherboards. Most people won't have an issue, but why risk it?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I can't wait to hear Midorka's opinion of the Asgard 2. I am about to get some serious low impedance iems and am considering getting one to go with them. My current amp has output impedance higher than the impedance of my new custom ten driver iems, so I figure that can't be good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can't wait to hear Midorka's opinion of the Asgard 2. I am about to get some serious low impedance iems and am considering getting one to go with them. My current amp has output impedance higher than the impedance of my new custom ten driver iems, so I figure that can't be good...

Depends on how important your square waves being square are to you :)