Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

cat doter posted:

Theoretically this streaming tech could work on anything, right? Even to another computer? Why lock it down to some lovely tegra powered handheld thing? I'd love to be able to stream games to my laptop from my gaming PC while in another room of the house. That would rule.

Ditto for Intel's QuickSync and WiDi, which is the same deal (but with lag that's unacceptable for real-time, even if you pumped a video card through via Virtu). Hell, GCN Radeons also have an h.264 codec but I'm not even sure there's software to use it for transcoding, let alone streaming.

Nvidia's still working on ShadowPlay, which uses the streaming tech to create a game DVR - it keeps the past five minutes of gameplay encoded in RAM and you can then save it if you did something cool, all without the fiddlyness or performance hit of FRAPS. But we're still waiting on that to be released.

And as for pushing it to arbitrary computers, that's what GRID is about - render game in the cloud, pipe video over Internet, voila gaming as a service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'd just like something that pushes out video over a network, rather than a service or whatever. I've often wanted to hang out in my lounge room while playing a PC game but I'd never want to buy 2 PCs or a gaming laptop to achieve that. Just a simple local network thing similar to how the Wii U handles its tablet but over a router.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The PS4 does (almost) that with the Vita too.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Are there any companies one would avoid if you choosing an AMD card? Besides, XFX, of course.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

cat doter posted:

I'd just like something that pushes out video over a network, rather than a service or whatever. I've often wanted to hang out in my lounge room while playing a PC game but I'd never want to buy 2 PCs or a gaming laptop to achieve that. Just a simple local network thing similar to how the Wii U handles its tablet but over a router.

I spent a lot of time trying to do something like this with my macbook and desktop, the short answer is no.
The long answer is input lag.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Are there any companies one would avoid if you choosing an AMD card? Besides, XFX, of course.

Heavy anecdotal evidence Gigabyte cards are hardware voltage locked. If you don't plan on overclocking then they're fine though.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-5/components-returns-rates-7.html

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So my gigabyte 560ti is like a jet engine when it's under load, but I'm slightly confused by wha tI'm seeing here. The 560ti is quieter than the 760? Or is this just based on the stock 760 design?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

LmaoTheKid posted:

So my gigabyte 560ti is like a jet engine when it's under load, but I'm slightly confused by wha tI'm seeing here. The 560ti is quieter than the 760? Or is this just based on the stock 760 design?

It's comparing stock cards. Also, 41 dBA isn't "like a jet engine" - it sounds like your card may be overheating and blasting the fan to full.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Factory Factory posted:

It's comparing stock cards. Also, 41 dBA isn't "like a jet engine" - it sounds like your card may be overheating and blasting the fan to full.

That could be it.

I'm going to take the top off the box and load a game to see what's causing this. Apparently this model (GV-N560OC-1GI) has some reports of fan failure so maybe that's what is going on.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

LmaoTheKid posted:

That could be it.

I'm going to take the top off the box and load a game to see what's causing this. Apparently this model (GV-N560OC-1GI) has some reports of fan failure so maybe that's what is going on.

It could also be dust accumulation on the fan and heatsinks in your 560ti. When I took my 560ti out to put in my 770 I saw a poo poo load of dust that was collected in between the fan blades and in between the heatsink fins. Like more than I expected.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Really curious and probably unnecessary question, especially since the easiest workaround is to plug both monitors into the discrete card like the way I usually do:

I have a 3770k running a Maximus V Gene. It has a DisplayPort and an HDMI output. I have a Gigabyte 7970 with a DVI-D, HDMI, and two Mini-DP outputs happily working next to it.

Primary monitor is a TV/monitor combo, it only takes HDMI from my PC. Secondary chat/browser/whatever monitor is an old 4:3 thing, it takes DVI and VGA.

I want to use the secondary off the Intel graphics and the primary as the sole monitor for my 7970 to overkill. Therefore, I now have the HDMI-to-DVI from motherboard-->secondary, and a normal HDMI from 7970-->TV.

Motherboard's set the discrete card as the primary GPU, desktop is extended across both screens (Win7x64). However, trying out this setup, it turns out that both screens take a huuuuuuuuge performance hit, not just the secondary monitor. Instead of playing games in Borderless Windowed mode (or is it called Borderless Fullscreen?) like I used to, I have to switch to fullscreen to get my discrete card frame rates back. Why is this?

My current collection of cables and adapters:
1 VGA cable
1 HDMI cable
1 DVI-to-HDMI cable (these don't come in multiple flavors, do they? I only know it works in both directions)
1 VGA-to-Mini-DP adapter
1 VGA-to-DisplayPort adapter

also this isn't the thread to do it but someone recommend me a mic-headset :v:

vvv I'm glad you liked my effortpost :allears:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 9, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Oh boy, here I am to recommend you a headset: Corsair Vengeance 1500.

Just got it, it's amazing.

Review

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So let's talk about the Jimi Hendrix Geforce Experience. Useful tool or nice placebo?
I notice that games themselves are sometimes terrible at predicting what are "optimal" settings for your current hardware configuration. I used it when I reformatted a couple weeks ago and Shogun 2 appears to look nice and run well :shobon:

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

canyoneer posted:

So let's talk about the Jimi Hendrix Geforce Experience. Useful tool or nice placebo?
I notice that games themselves are sometimes terrible at predicting what are "optimal" settings for your current hardware configuration. I used it when I reformatted a couple weeks ago and Shogun 2 appears to look nice and run well :shobon:

It's a good application and I would recommend it to Nvidia users, both casual and ~enthusiast~.

My main reason for using it is because I can set it to constantly check and alert me of driver updates, both WHQL and beta, or updates to optimal game settings if I was interested. What I do not use, however, is the automatic application of those optimal settings but rather go through each game it has an entry for and evaluate the settings it recommends vs what I have at that time. My system is pretty beefy so for the most part I am recommended what I already have which is max, but for example it recommends settings for Planetside 2 that are substantially lower than what I have (running the game maxed out) and I know full well my system is capable of doing so. Also it tells me to turn TressFX off in Tomb Raider, but the game runs fine with it on.

Other than those small discrepancies I let it apply the settings since all it's doing is accessing a specific file that stores game settings and make adjustments. I haven't seen the effect of using edited settings (i.e. opening in notepad) and then applying the optimal settings but I assume it wouldn't overwrite the entire file. I'd have to actually test to see if it does that.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 9, 2013

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

It seems like a good idea if you don't want to do the anal PC gamer thing where you get a game and your first hour of "play" is just benchmarking various settings (I actually kind of like doing this). I just wish I knew what minimum / average framerate they were targeting with their settings.

I played through Crysis 3 with the suggested settings and it ran perfectly fine and from what little I've played of Assassin's Creed 3 it seems to do a good job with that as well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FallenGod posted:

It seems like a good idea if you don't want to do the anal PC gamer thing where you get a game and your first hour of "play" is just benchmarking various settings (I actually kind of like doing this).

I do, too. The first option in any game for me is always settings. Controls, graphics, I just have to do it. I enjoy it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I mean I hit the settings first thing too, but it's just to make sure they're maxed and then game on. Games are a lame (if necessary) benchmarking tool for hardware, but they are fun and pretty!

canyoneer posted:

Well, it definitely isn't placebo. The Shadowplay killer app hasn't arrived yet, so thus far it's mainly a new version of nVidia Update that also happens to dick around with your settings for you. I could see that being helpful if you're running a lower priced card especially, but it's an issue of adding another layer of complexity to the driver package: making sure that it keeps up with all the game settings .inis or xml files, since introducing a minor offset could mean it's trying to write things to the wrong locations. I personally don't think it's that helpful or necessary but that's just me. Once it gets more functionality that could change.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 9, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Review
Not sure why you posted this here but I've had the 1500s for like 18 months and they're one of the best things I've ever put on my head. If they ever break, I'll just get another.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Not sure why you posted this here but I've had the 1500s for like 18 months and they're one of the best things I've ever put on my head. If they ever break, I'll just get another.

The guy above him asked for a recommendation on good cans too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Review

gently caress that noise get a set of Grado SR225i, do a minor mod to the cushions to make them more comfortable, get yourself a loving DAC and you are set.

What I did with the headphone cushions is buy one of those cheap Logitech office hands-free headsets, took off the circular cushion things, and glued them onto the Grado cushions so that the cups don't mash onto my ears.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 10, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

canyoneer posted:

I dunno whether or not it's the geforce experience or the nvidia drivers themselves but every time I open the gefore experience window in fucks with my TV's display drivers and the image goes all weird. I have to turn off the TV, uninstall the drivers, rescan for plug and play then it works fine. It's weird as hell and kind of annoying.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jan posted:

Hmm, ran the Heaven benchmark (in 2560x1600, mind you) and got 5 less average FPS with the second monitor enabled. Interesting.

I'll switch to the 13.8 drivers first, then I'll run some more benchmarks and keep you posted.

So, experimented some more with 13.8, with and without second monitor enabled, and I'm observing the same behaviour across multiple benchmarks -- 28 average FPS with second monitor, 33 average FPS without it. Knowing this kind of sucks, I'm going to have to get into the habit of toggling the second monitor just to get optimum performance in the few games that are capped. And I'm curious if this performance loss also happens in single GPU configurations, if Windows Aero is disabled, etc.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Jan posted:

So, experimented some more with 13.8, with and without second monitor enabled, and I'm observing the same behaviour across multiple benchmarks -- 28 average FPS with second monitor, 33 average FPS without it. Knowing this kind of sucks, I'm going to have to get into the habit of toggling the second monitor just to get optimum performance in the few games that are capped. And I'm curious if this performance loss also happens in single GPU configurations, if Windows Aero is disabled, etc.

I've gotten drops with dual monitor setups with one on a GeForce 680 and one on HD 3000. The biggest correlation I could find was having Aero windows at the screen border, throwing drop shadows to the opposite screen. Avoiding that generally avoided the worst performance hits.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Alright, so I have a question that maybe one of you can answer.

I've currently got an Intel i5 3550 at stock speeds, and a 460GTX. Once the next gen of consoles have been around for maybe a year and graphics cards that can handle the games aren't ludicrously expensive, I might upgrade. My question is, with 16GB of RAM, would my CPU bottleneck my performance to the extent where getting a graphics card that can handle the latest games wouldn't be worth it? The big reason I'm thinking it might not be a problem is because what with the new consoles running AMD, an Ivy Bridge might be comparable to their latest chips.

Edit: Currently have a 1680x1050 monitor, might upgrade to 1080p down the road.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

klosterdev posted:

I've currently got an Intel i5 3550 at stock speeds, and a 460GTX. Once the next gen of consoles have been around for maybe a year and graphics cards that can handle thee games aren't ludicrously expensive, I might upgrade. My question is, with 16GB of RAM, would my CPU bottleneck my performance to the extent where getting a graphics card that can handle the latest games wouldn't be worth it? The big reason I'm thinking it might not be a problem is because what with the new consoles running AMD, an Ivy Bridge might be comparable to their latest chips.

The chips in the new consoles aren't anywhere near an Ivy Bridge. If I'm not mistaken, even an Ivy Bridge i3 can outperform them (I defer to Factory Factory on that, though). A 3550 is still a solid CPU, and shouldn't end up as a bottleneck, especially not in the timeframe you're talking about.

Also, for 1080p you can throw in a GTX 760 and be perfectly fine for quite some time. I just got one and it's amazing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

klosterdev posted:

I've currently got an Intel i5 3550 at stock speeds, and a 460GTX. Once the next gen of consoles have been around for maybe a year and graphics cards that can handle the games aren't ludicrously expensive, I might upgrade. My question is, with 16GB of RAM, would my CPU bottleneck my performance to the extent where getting a graphics card that can handle the latest games wouldn't be worth it? The big reason I'm thinking it might not be a problem is because what with the new consoles running AMD, an Ivy Bridge might be comparable to their latest chips.

You can't compare the consoles and PCs like that. Since the console hardware is unchanging, developers can optimize to a degree that we PC gamers would kill for. Hell just look at all the driver issues this thread regularly deals with; things like that aren't present in consoles. So while on paper consoles look like pretty terrible game platforms, remember that it is their only task and there is a shitton of money behind making them very good at that.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
They're also running a real time OS designed specifically for that system rather than full blown windows/OS X

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Edit: ^ ^ ^ Note to self: Read, REFRESH, reply.

klosterdev posted:

A 4670K with a kick in the pants is - in fact, a 2500K with a kick in the pants should pull it off. A 3550 introduces too many variables.

Remember that having to run full-blown Windows + drivers and not even God knows what else is a motherfucker for system resources.

EDIT 2: Actually, you might get away with it against Xbox One titles depending on how they optimize, since it has at least Windows RT (which is heavier than any other kind-of-a-big-number-but-not-actually-general-purpose OS), but PlayStation stuff already has a performance boost against it from being OpenBSD + exactly what is needed for what Sony has planned for the system.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 10, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Factory Factory posted:

I've gotten drops with dual monitor setups with one on a GeForce 680 and one on HD 3000. The biggest correlation I could find was having Aero windows at the screen border, throwing drop shadows to the opposite screen. Avoiding that generally avoided the worst performance hits.

Bioshock Infinite's benchmark doesn't seem affected by single vs. dual monitor configuration, although it could just be that I'm CPU bound for that game. But I recall Bioshock is a lot more GPU intensive so I doubt it.

Heaven still runs slower with desktop themes disabled, but it shoots back to a higher 31 FPS average with desktop composition also disabled. Of course, take this with a grain of salt, I didn't bother averaging multiple benchmarks.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
I'm having a hard time deciding on a mobile GPU because everything I am reading seems to go back and forth between which is better, the 770m or the 8970m, the price is negligible. It seems a lot of new drivers came out that may have skewed the numbers. I plan on getting a Sager with an i7 4700mq - I am hoping to be able to play Rome 2 on the road with it and given what I have read I think both of these will handle it just fine. Battery life won't be a factor as it will be plugged in at the hotels.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

nVidia, last I checked, has a huge software advantage on mobile platforms with real graphics cards, and that is a real graphics card, a fully enabled GTX 680 iirc. Better and more frequent updates to the power saving/hardware switching Optimus software and all that jazz. Good of AMD to show up, but ...

Edit: Hm nope that must be the 780M. FactoryFactory you remember which one it was offhand?

Edit 2: Seriously AMD's software for mobile is really bad, and it's not so much about power savings as it is about "working at all." Same review, two paragraphs apart:

Nvidia's Optimus technology is still more mature than Enduro. Handy functions (direct selection by right-clicking in the info area of the task bar) are missing, and the recognition rate is worse. According to our experiences, the program database (decides which GPU is used in standard mode) of Nvidia is significantly better. Nevertheless, Enduro works properly and should not keep anybody from buying from AMD.

We (still) have to strongly advise against the official AMD drivers. Although the Catalyst versions 13.4 and 13.6 Beta (2) are designed for the 8000 series according to the manufacturer and the installation does not display an error message, we faced serious problems with our test sample.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 11, 2013

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Agreed posted:

nVidia, last I checked, has a huge software advantage on mobile platforms with real graphics cards, and that is a real graphics card, a fully enabled GTX 680 iirc. Better and more frequent updates to the power saving/hardware switching Optimus software and all that jazz. Good of AMD to show up, but ...

Edit: Hm nope that must be the 780M. FactoryFactory you remember which one it was offhand?

Edit 2: Seriously AMD's software for mobile is really bad, and it's not so much about power savings as it is about "working at all." Same review, two paragraphs apart:

Nvidia's Optimus technology is still more mature than Enduro. Handy functions (direct selection by right-clicking in the info area of the task bar) are missing, and the recognition rate is worse. According to our experiences, the program database (decides which GPU is used in standard mode) of Nvidia is significantly better. Nevertheless, Enduro works properly and should not keep anybody from buying from AMD.

We (still) have to strongly advise against the official AMD drivers. Although the Catalyst versions 13.4 and 13.6 Beta (2) are designed for the 8000 series according to the manufacturer and the installation does not display an error message, we faced serious problems with our test sample.

So it is a crappier chip and a lot less reliable but when it works it kicks the FPS up about 20% higher than the 770m? Thanks for your reply, I must have glanced past all that stuff and it seems very important. I would like the graphical boost as 20% seems sizable but the reliability is very worrisome. I just don't think the $300 more the 780m costs is worth it over the 770m and 8970m.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 11, 2013

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
So when is the next generation cards coming out. I have a 560ti and wondering when to upgrade and to what.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kontradaz posted:

So when is the next generation cards coming out. I have a 560ti and wondering when to upgrade and to what.

Get the 760, it kicks the 560ti in the nuts and curb stomps it into submission.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Get the 760, it kicks the 560ti in the nuts and curb stomps it into submission.

This. I upgraded from a 560 Ti to a 760, and the difference is so massive and immediately apparent that I am, quite honestly, shocked. poo poo's amazing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

dongsweep posted:

So it is a crappier chip and a lot less reliable but when it works it kicks the FPS up about 20% higher than the 770m? Thanks for your reply, I must have glanced past all that stuff and it seems very important. I would like the graphical boost as 20% seems sizable but the reliability is very worrisome. I just don't think the $300 more the 780m costs is worth it over the 770m and 8970m.

Basically, yeah. The review site had to use a third-party hacked driver to obtain those test results at all, and in my opinion that is an extremely charitable way to go about reviewing. Sort of like if every Haswell review just casually mentioned that you have to take the IHS off, scrape the glue out, and reseat it all while causing no harm to now on-die very sensitive components, no big deal, check out this 4.5GHz overclock we trivially got! Just not quite that simple :v:

When the software is problematic enough that it not only fails to register when the card is being called upon to Do A Thing (and so unless you manually switch it over, you're accidentally gaming on your integrated graphics), and also the drivers aren't up to the task of, er, driving... The opportunity cost calculation does not favor that much of a pain in the rear end.

But, hey, that was a very significant driver revision ago, maybe AMD have got it lined out by now. nVidia definitely has the superior mobile platform software, there's just no questioning that in any serious way, but that's because they have Scrooge McDuck levels of cash and AMD is running lean as poo poo right now to try to avoid irrelevancy on multiple fronts.

They're doing their best work with consoles and graphics, obviously, but still, only so many resources to go around. Example: they got caught flat-footed with the whole Crossfire oopsie back in March when their trust in DirectX being feature complete enough to handle frame pacing turned out to be flawed (and nVidia had no such trust and had already worked a proper fix into it).

Took them from March, when they were forced to acknowledge the issue and let everyone know that they were working on a patch, until this month (a few days back) to release a driver that implements a partial, if reasonable fix, trading formerly very high FPS for better coherence in DX10/DX11 games running on a single monitor. That leaves out a whole lot of scenarios, including multi-monitor anything (which SUCKS for them because that's one of their main strengths and they were trying to hit that hard), and of course all DX9 games (but, hey, how many DX9 games are really that demanding anyway, that's like... The Witcher 2, tops, as being comparably graphically intensive as modern DX11 game engines).

It's a hard-knock life for red.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Kontradaz posted:

2 months ago!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Two months from now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Those two posts back to back illustrate perfectly PC hardware at this point :laffo: