Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ShaqDiesel posted:

Comic-con?

Pfahh, that would only be uncomfortable for the fan girls who fell for the ol' spicy lemoncake.

Although, to be fair I can't imagine being GRRM and anything not being uncomfortable.

You win this round. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Skeleton Jelly posted:

To be fair, 15 isn't statutory rape in a lot of countries, even including ones in Western Europe and Latin America to this date. The fact that the Gurm likes to write about sex lives of 15 year-olds is creepy as hell, but statutory rape isn't really a clear-cut line like that.

I think even creepier than the age stuff, which is understandable given the "middle ages" kind of feel (although not the way GRRM writes it. The detail is extremely unnecessary and unwanted (just have it offscreen, damnit!)), is his obsession with everybody's "maidenhead". Every chapter there's something about she's a maiden, how's her maidenhead?, maiden maiden maiden.... it's gross. It makes admitting that I read this series kind of embarrassing.

Edit: Well that, and a whole boatload of other issues.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 9, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I bought Game of Thrones/ASOIAF books on amazon, so there's a permanent digital record of me purchasing "13 year olds losing their 'maidenhead': a novel by a guy that just looks like he would write this kind of poo poo".

I can never run for public office because a few years ago a friend said "hey man, you should read these, they're full of political intrigue and stuff".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just run for President anyway. Obama admitted to cocaine use, and with the recent success of HBO's Game of Thrones, pedophilia and rape and capons are mainstream.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I bought Game of Thrones/ASOIAF books on amazon, so there's a permanent digital record of me purchasing "13 year olds losing their 'maidenhead': a novel by a guy that just looks like he would write this kind of poo poo".

I can never run for public office because a few years ago a friend said "hey man, you should read these, they're full of political intrigue and stuff".

Just say you bought them as a birthday gift for a frenemy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"I can't read" = instant victory in the south, Midwest, and amongst the coveted TVIV demographic.

My cover story is flawless.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I crawl imgur for your amusement. :mitt:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wonder how many trash bags of $20s* it would take to get Gurm to show up at The Gathering of the Juggalos. I feel like he'd fit right in.

* This is reportedly how they really pay people.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I remember when I first read GoT, I thougt the sex scenes were just there because GRRM didn't want to cut any scnenes or something.

I think the first time I suspected they were supposed to be titilating was when Dany started tittyfucking comotose Drogo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Morkyz posted:

I remember when I first read GoT, I thougt the sex scenes were just there because GRRM didn't want to cut any scnenes or something.

I think the first time I suspected they were supposed to be titilating was when Dany started tittyfucking comotose Drogo.

:aaaaa: Thanks for the mammaries.

Pretty sure I blocked that out for a reason, bub.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No no, get Michael Shannon. Then everyone will get all amped because Michael loving Shannon's on the scene, and then ~Darkstar~

Michael Shannon would do great as Victarion. He already has a permanent angry look of being poo poo on.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
I still find it funny how many people (especially show watchers) think Dany and Drogo were a great couple, when he basically just kept raping her until she "liked" it. Then again, this is the series where people think that Sansa and Sandor should gently caress, so I guess every fan is broken in some way.

E: VVVV I actually thought some parts of the show were more rapey. The first time they have sex, in the book she eventually says yes, obviously under duress, but in the show she doesn't stop saying no. Although I guess the ageing up and the fact that they seem to drop the rapey vibe earlier in the show than the book makes it so show watchers wouldn't be as skeeved out.

Bulletproof Tiger fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 9, 2013

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

I still find it funny how many people (especially show watchers) think Dany and Drogo were a great couple, when he basically just kept raping her until she "liked" it. Then again, this is the series where people think that Sansa and Sandor should gently caress, so I guess every fan is broken in some way.

Well, it only makes sense that especially show watchers think all of this because the show has been watered down quite a bit from the books. Even the whole Drogo/Dany thing isn't portrayed in a manner as rapey as it's in the books and age differences overall are leveled so it isn't as creepy.

An actually true-to-books adaption of the books would be the most horrible thing to ever air.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Well, it only makes sense that especially show watchers think all of this because the show has been watered down quite a bit from the books. Even the whole Drogo/Dany thing isn't portrayed in a manner as rapey as it's in the books and age differences overall are leveled so it isn't as creepy.

An actually true-to-books adaption of the books would be the most horrible thing to ever air.

That look on her face the first time though. :cry:

I seem to remember in the book GRRM made the scene sort of consensualish and he actually gently seduced her (if you ignore the age thing :reddit:).

Which, actually makes it worse. So good job HBO :bravo: you actually managed to make the scene more realistic and somehow less pedo friendly at the same time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
HBO removing the fingerbanging and replacing it with a straight rape is probably one of the better less creepy decisions they made although it does mess up Dany's character somewhat as she falls for a dude who unceremoniously rapes her. At least book Drogo is decent enough to put a little effort into foreplay.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

So is the show better than the books? If a friend of mine was like "what's this Game of Thrones stuff all about", should I just say "skip the books, watch the show" or what? I've never seen a single minute from the show.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Matter of personal opinion.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

stratdax posted:

So is the show better than the books? If a friend of mine was like "what's this Game of Thrones stuff all about", should I just say "skip the books, watch the show" or what? I've never seen a single minute from the show.

It's all opinion, really. Personally I like both. Some scenes are better done in the books, while others are better in the show. It depends on whether or not your friend prefers reading or watching TV. Tell him to do which of those two activities he prefers.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
They show is outstanding. The books have higher highs, but much, much lower lows.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mkay0 posted:

They show is outstanding. The books have higher highs, but much, much lower lows.

Pretty much this. If I truly like the friend, I'll tell them to just watch the show. If they're gormless fucks who are just as masochistic as I am, I'll tell them to read thebooks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

stratdax posted:

Depends on if you're illiterate or not. But it all changes after the next season, which will either see the show break away from the books completely or turn into the most boring offputting nonsensical garbage on tv since modern Adult Swim.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ian McShane as Victarion.

Powers Boothe as Euron.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Ryan Gosling as Quentyn Martell.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Anna Gunn as... whichever woman the TV crowd decides to hate at any given moment. The recursive loops of calling her a oval office will cycle faster and faster, powering the eastern seaboard for years.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Anna Gunn as... whichever woman the TV crowd decides to hate at any given moment. The recursive loops of calling her a oval office will cycle faster and faster, powering the eastern seaboard for years.

That would be zombie Cat.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Not brown enough.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I would accept the Martells being completely white washed if it meant Daniel Radcliffe could play Quentyn.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I'd insert a Harry Potter reference here, but heh, I never learned to read.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

stratdax posted:

The books are vastly superior with regard to world building, including conveying the inter-connectedness of characters and the return of magic. The TV show hits the main points and hits them well, but it's more or less a summary, which works for some things but not others.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

IRQ posted:

Depends on if you're illiterate or not. But it all changes after the next season, which will either see the show break away from the books completely or turn into the most boring offputting nonsensical garbage on tv since modern Adult Swim.

You never know. They just might be able to make AFFC and ADWD more exciting somehow. One can only hope.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

IRQ posted:

Only if we are lucky!
:george:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Nah. Zach Woods (Gabe from The Office) was born to play Quentyn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The books are vastly superior with regard to world building, including conveying the inter-connectedness of characters and the return of magic. The TV show hits the main points and hits them well, but it's more or less a summary, which works for some things but not others.

Yeah the show tries its damndest and is honestly very impressive on its own merits as a TV show, but it doesn't come close to capturing the scale of the books--one of the few things that helped justify all the faffing about and meandering.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

mkay0 posted:

The show's lows are just as low if not lower than those of the books. Littlefinger wiping cum off a whore's mouth and then making her kiss the next customer is just as gross if not moreso than Ramsay forcing Theon to go down on Jeyne to moisten her up. You don't get to take the high road as a show fanboy, buddy. It's all equally depraved.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I'm telling you guys Jeff Goldblum should have been Oberyn

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

I'm telling you guys Jeff Goldblum should have been Oberyn

He can play Tycho Nestoris, my pick for the ultimate winner of the Game of Thrones (well, not him personally but his employer).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Joramun posted:

The show's lows are just as low if not lower than those of the books. Littlefinger wiping cum off a whore's mouth and then making her kiss the next customer is just as gross if not moreso than Ramsay forcing Theon to go down on Jeyne to moisten her up. You don't get to take the high road as a show fanboy, buddy. It's all equally depraved.

In a lot of instances prostitution can be equivalent to rape (or the invisible little fingers of the free market) but it's difficult to determine how much agency Littlefinger's lady of the evening had relative to everyone else who got hosed up down and sideways in one way or another. That scene with Ramsay, Theon and Jeyne though was double-rape. So I guess if you think (potentially) consensual sex acts that involve a guy emptying his love tummy into a woman's mouthsnizz and then getting her ready for another (potentially) consensual peephole-worthy cock barf gargling, sure they're equal.

Sorry I'm practicing my purple prose for chapter twenty or which ever of A Clash of Quims. :ohdear:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

syscall girl posted:

In a lot of instances prostitution can be equivalent to rape (or the invisible little fingers of the free market) but it's difficult to determine how much agency Littlefinger's lady of the evening had relative to everyone else who got hosed up down and sideways in one way or another. That scene with Ramsay, Theon and Jeyne though was double-rape. So I guess if you think (potentially) consensual sex acts that involve a guy emptying his love tummy into a woman's mouthsnizz and then getting her ready for another (potentially) consensual peephole-worthy cock barf gargling, sure they're equal.

Sorry I'm practicing my purple prose for chapter twenty or which ever of A Clash of Quims. :ohdear:

So Littlefinger's cum wipe is actually symbolic for the Sword of Justice that slays the beast that is patriarchal oppression. I hadn't thought of it that way. HBO sexposition scenes are just so full of layers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Joramun posted:

So Littlefinger's cum wipe is actually symbolic for the Sword of Justice that slays the beast that is patriarchal oppression. I hadn't thought of it that way. HBO sexposition scenes are just so full of layers.

I don't even remember that scene (season 1 or 2? even 3 seems a long while back) but comparing some pimping and whoring between (possibly) consenting adults to genital mutilation and one of the GRRMiest multi-rape +pedo chapters seems a little off.

HBO kinda hosed up Petyr's character and made him a doofus though, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

In a lot of instances prostitution can be equivalent to rape (or the invisible little fingers of the free market) but it's difficult to determine how much agency Littlefinger's lady of the evening had relative to everyone else who got hosed up down and sideways in one way or another.

In one scene of the show Littlefinger makes it clear that if one of his prostitutes don't stop crying over the murdered baby he will sell her to some very unpleasant people who will use her in such a way that death will be a welcome release. So it is not very ambiguous whether or not if it is consensual sex. It isn't.