Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xenix posted:

It's been a while since I read WoK, but didn't Szeth follow his peoples' code of honor to a fault? He was sold as a slave for some crime but believed he must endure the punishment and his owners despite loathing what they had him do, loathing himself because he did it, and having the means to end his captivity at any time. They are honor spren and not morality spren, after all.

Wasn't his 'crime' basically being a badass warrior? Shin Shardbearers are Truthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Well he mentioned that his people will collect the blade after his death and one of the only things he cannot do is give it up. We don't know if he received the blade as part of his punishment or he took the blade for some reason and was punished for it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
As a Surgebinder he is kind of one of the 'proper' wielders for a Shard though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Well he mentioned that his people will collect the blade after his death and one of the only things he cannot do is give it up. We don't know if he received the blade as part of his punishment or he took the blade for some reason and was punished for it.
In the first draft he didn't have it, and he killed everyone with a normal sword. That was apparently way too gory and bloody for an intro, so he ended up with a bleed-free shardblade.

I suspect some retroactive continuity got added to make it party of Szeth's backstory, but adding something after the fact like that probably wouldn't result in a significant change... I'm guessing it's just a fairly normal shardblade, and isn't required as his punishment or provide his windrunning.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Based on Syl's reaction to the shardblades she encounters that seems like it could be a pretty big change. Assuming all honorspren feel the same it seems like being in close contact with a shardblade could have some negative affect on them however I don't remember Szeth making any mention of being in contact with an honorspren like Kaladin so he might be slightly different. I guess we'll just have so wait until we know more.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Aren't there no spren in the place the Shin come from?

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
Syl's reaction confused me, in Dalinar's visions the Knights Radiant wore shard plate and used shard blades. I'm really curious what happened.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

i'm sorry but whoever told him to change the head from the way he was posing it in the sketches is an idiot. Kaladin should either be looking straight ahead or off page towards Szeth (like in the photoref). This ridiculous cocked head unfocused derp expression is awful. Sad too since if you cover up the head the rest of the painting is really quite nice

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Words of radiance has been delayed. Looks like March 4th is the next target.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Tunicate posted:

Words of radiance has been delayed. Looks like March 4th is the next target.

Kind of a bummer, but I'm glad they're not going to rush it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Grouchy Fish posted:

Syl's reaction confused me, in Dalinar's visions the Knights Radiant wore shard plate and used shard blades. I'm really curious what happened.

If I had to guess, the Knights earned their shard blades, just as they presumably earned their powers by binding to a spren. Current shard blades are won through killing of previous owners. Maybe all that murdering and backstabbing has tainted the nature of the shard blades.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Didn't in the latter Szeth sections he start having less reservations about committing acts that were against his people's way of life. I seem to remember him having some inner monologue about not being bothered by walking on stone anymore.

He never had reservations about walking on stone. His reservations were about the fact that he didn't have reservations about walking on stone, but that if he rejected that then it meant he rejected the teachings of his entire race and thus his nature as Truthless.

We don't know anything about what makes a Shin Truthless though, so it's all speculation. Could be that Shin Shardbearers are Truthless, as was mentioned. Could be a number of things. Szeth's intimate knowledge of what's essentially magic that's been otherwise lost for millennia (versus Kaladin who stumbled into it) is the most interesting mystery.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
So I just finished Way of Kings in about... 4 days. After marathoning the entire Mistborn trilogy and Alloy of Law.

Ten books are planned the Stormlight Archive series? Welp, I guess I know some of the books I'll be reading in the next 20 years. At least the next one looks like it will be released in a somewhat timely fashion.

Please don't GRRM me, Brandon. :ohdear:

Edit: Also, is there a sequel planned for Alloy of Law?

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Yep, "Shadows of Self," which if he holds to this schedule he'll be working on next year.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Yeah, at least one.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1186/State-of-the-Sanderson

This man (as has been stated many times before) is a machine.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

So I just finished Way of Kings in about... 4 days. After marathoning the entire Mistborn trilogy and Alloy of Law.

Ten books are planned the Stormlight Archive series? Welp, I guess I know some of the books I'll be reading in the next 20 years. At least the next one looks like it will be released in a somewhat timely fashion.

Yes. He's got a sequel for Alloy of Law coming up called Shawdows of Self. He's also planned two sequel trilogies, one set in modern-type times, so a sort of urban fantasy, and one set in a future sci-fi type of setting.

The Stormlight is planned to be two sets of five books. He's also got a series planned as a sort of meta-narrative that may explain more about the shards and their formation but that wouldn't come out until the SA is finished.

Here's a list of what he's got coming up:

api call girl posted:

I'm still waiting for Death by Pizza.
I've got some bad news for you...

Edit: Beaten, twice... good work guys

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Xenix posted:

It's been a while since I read WoK, but didn't Szeth follow his peoples' code of honor to a fault? He was sold as a slave for some crime but believed he must endure the punishment and his owners despite loathing what they had him do, loathing himself because he did it, and having the means to end his captivity at any time. They are honor spren and not morality spren, after all.

Sanderson why are we spoiling this?confirmed that Szeth isn't getting his powers the same was that Kaladin is

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Fezz posted:

Edit: Beaten, twice... good work guys

But yours was far better written. And educational.

Augster posted:

Yep, "Shadows of Self," which if he holds to this schedule he'll be working on next year.

:argh: 2 minutes, 2 lousy minutes you beat my by.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Crushed his Emperor's Soul book on a plane trip this month, started in on War of Kings and just wrapped it up today. Overall I love his style, and he's got a really unique knack for imparting the histories and cultures of his universes in a very short time without it being boring or too heavy (looking at you, Tolkien :love:)

Only thing I did not like about Way of Kings was how (late-book talk, nothing too bad but spoilers nonetheless I guess) some of the latter sections of battle started to sound like a teenage anime. Kaladin in particular, once he starts using Stormlight, has a bunch of parts in his fighting where the pose or actions sound too anime (not the best word but the best way I can think to describe it)

That said, the characters are interesting, the dialogue is generally pretty good, and the way the second book sets up for a major clash between characters is promising.

Guess I will buy Warbreaker today, it's the last one of his stuff I haven't read and I've got a lot of free time reformatting a computer.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Pleads posted:

Crushed his Emperor's Soul book on a plane trip this month, started in on War of Kings and just wrapped it up today. Overall I love his style, and he's got a really unique knack for imparting the histories and cultures of his universes in a very short time without it being boring or too heavy (looking at you, Tolkien :love:)

Only thing I did not like about Way of Kings was how (late-book talk, nothing too bad but spoilers nonetheless I guess) some of the latter sections of battle started to sound like a teenage anime. Kaladin in particular, once he starts using Stormlight, has a bunch of parts in his fighting where the pose or actions sound too anime (not the best word but the best way I can think to describe it)

That said, the characters are interesting, the dialogue is generally pretty good, and the way the second book sets up for a major clash between characters is promising.

Guess I will buy Warbreaker today, it's the last one of his stuff I haven't read and I've got a lot of free time reformatting a computer.

I don't disagree that Kaladin went full anime at the end but I didn't have a problem with it. That's one section where the length of the book actually helped it a lot, for me at least. I spent the whole book wanting him to do something, and since the book was a 1000 pages long, that was a long time. So when it finally happened I was like a little kid watching an end-of-battle episode of Dragonball Z.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Sherringford posted:

I don't disagree that Kaladin went full anime at the end but I didn't have a problem with it. That's one section where the length of the book actually helped it a lot, for me at least. I spent the whole book wanting him to do something, and since the book was a 1000 pages long, that was a long time. So when it finally happened I was like a little kid watching an end-of-battle episode of Dragonball Z.

Yeah, it'd be difficult going if it came any other way. But right then and there? Absolutely perfect.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The part when he recites the line of the KR code and just unleashes this giant crack of thunder is simultaneously the most cheesy and yet the most :black101: thing I have ever read in my life.

I loved it. :allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon Sanderson did a thing with MTV Geek at SDCC.
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/07/18/brandon-sanderson-steelheart-excerpt/

The video is at the bottom and you have to skip to the 1:59:30 mark for his interview.

Also, they were handing out the following poster at the con.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 7, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Brandon Sanderson did a thing with MTV Geek at SDCC.
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/07/18/brandon-sanderson-steelheart-excerpt/

The video is at the bottom and you have to skip to the 1:59:30 mark for his interview.

Also, they were handing out the following poster at the con.

Those goggles. :allears:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
God that cover is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Thankfully that's not the cover, but rather a poster.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Benson Cunningham posted:

In a "I love the powerglove, it's so bad" kind of way.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the cover for a really bad YA novel.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Thankfully that's not the cover, but rather a poster.
Although there is a picture of the cover within the poster. The cover looks pretty neat.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

bowmore posted:

Looks like the cover for a really bad YA novel.

It looks like the cover of a Wildcards book.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

In non-WoR talk I finally got around to reading Warbreaker last week. I have to say that I really enjoyed it although the avalanche itself seemed lackluster. I'm also upset at him for ending the book with a loving sequel tease because now I want more :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

quiggy posted:

In non-WoR talk I finally got around to reading Warbreaker last week. I have to say that I really enjoyed it although the avalanche itself seemed lackluster. I'm also upset at him for ending the book with a loving sequel tease because now I want more :(

It's in the pipeline, but not for several years.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I do not think I have seen a more cyberpunk poster in a long time, possibly ever.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
I read the first two Mistborn books after reading the first Stormlight book, and I like that the universes are tied together but the magic systems feel very much the same. Has he written books where the magic system feels different?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

tliil posted:

I read the first two Mistborn books after reading the first Stormlight book, and I like that the universes are tied together but the magic systems feel very much the same. Has he written books where the magic system feels different?

Warbreaker is pretty different. Also, I'd not really call them the same, really. In fact I'd say that one in the Stormlight books is much more complicated. We've really only seen two "schools" as it were, and there are several.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

tliil posted:

They seem pretty different to me. :psyduck:

In Mistborn they digest base metals which allow them to manipulate electromagnetic fields, or they can store attributes in metals.

In Stormlight they inhale light caused by a continent sized supernatural storm which allows them to change gravity, or they can use the light to transmutate one material into another.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Xachariah posted:

They seem pretty different to me. :psyduck:

In Mistborn they digest base metals which allow them to manipulate electromagnetic fields, or they can store attributes in metals.

In Stormlight they inhale light caused by a continent sized supernatural storm which allows them to change gravity, or they can use the light to transmutate one material into another.

Wasn't there some storm in Mistborn too?

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Maybe it's just that he writes them the same. When characters use magic, it feels like a videogame. Very rules-driven. I dunno, I felt like the magic systems were very similar and I'm going to blame it on something. Probably I'll just stick to reading his Stormlight series so I don't get burned out on the writing style.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Read his short story The Emporer's Soul. Not only does it own, it's one the craziest magic systems he's come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Emperor's Soul is easily the best thing he's written.