Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

InitialDave posted:

If Will Dot I Dot Am stopped at that, we'd all probably have a higher opinion of him.

Yeah, he'd be doing no worse than FOOSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holdbrooks posted:

Delta bros...

I can't be held responsible for non SS Slobalt owners.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I don't know what you guys are talking about, that continental is awesome. I'm a sucker for suicide doors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This complex seems to be a goldmine

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Those wheels look like someone melted an erector set in them and it's dripping out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At least no one is confused about what he's driving...

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That complex looks so familiar, is it in New York? I don't see any hideous yellow plates so probably not.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rhyno posted:

RIP :(

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Well, I guess it's better than a nail. :raise:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

At least no one is confused about what he's driving...

That was my FB post essentially. I don't know if you can clearly see the 2 foot Pontiac symbol in the back window or not.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

That complex looks so familiar, is it in New York? I don't see any hideous yellow plates so probably not.

NE Indiana.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Samu posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, that continental is awesome. I'm a sucker for suicide doors.

No, Continentals are awesome but anybody who does things to them, other than Dax Shepard, probably sucks.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Rhyno posted:

When I last went apartment hunting, a large part of my decision-making involved how many of those types of abominations weren't in the parking lot. It turned out to be a good idea.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Rhyno posted:

That was my FB post essentially. I don't know if you can clearly see the 2 foot Pontiac symbol in the back window or not.

Ugh, that's like the entire reason I debadged my Cobalt. So less people would recognize what car I was in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Some apartments actually forbid residents from owning "modified vehicles". A friend wound up catching hell from his apartment complex over his car being black primer, because it was "not factory paint". Cue towing, screaming, more towing, parking it in a shopping center across the street, even more towing, and friend eventually selling his car. :sigh:

I'm fine with some standards, I'm even fine with apartments not allowing you to do much more than check your oil or change a flat tire, but when a lease spells out "your car cannot be covered in non-factory paint, your car cannot have non-factory wheels", that's going a bit too far.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ugh, that's like the entire reason I debadged my Cobalt. So less people would recognize what car I was in.

I'd say the debadgeing would make it more recognizable :v: Though I'm all for the bare minimum myself. I'd pull all the badges if they didn't have intentions in the body work for them. :sigh:

e: to (barely) contribute, the first 4x4 Kia wagon!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 9, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

some texas redneck posted:

Some apartments actually forbid residents from owning "modified vehicles". A friend wound up catching hell from his apartment complex over his car being black primer, because it was "not factory paint". Cue towing, screaming, more towing, parking it in a shopping center across the street, even more towing, and friend eventually selling his car. :sigh:

I'm fine with some standards, I'm even fine with apartments not allowing you to do much more than check your oil or change a flat tire, but when a lease spells out "your car cannot be covered in non-factory paint, your car cannot have non-factory wheels", that's going a bit too far.

My apartment was like this, its run by a little old white lady who not only asked for two months rent as security on top of the first month of rent up front, but sat down and talked to my girlfriend and I about where we lived the past ten years, the jobs we've had, our current jobs, everything.

When I stopped by her place to drop off the rental contract, she sat me down again for about 30 minutes asking about my "internet job" and what car I drive. Despite everything being a pain in the rear end in the beginning, (NO SATELLITE DISHES, NO NO NO NO) the apartment is a very well-maintained and clean place and the lady's son and daughter in-law come by to see if anyone has any issues what so ever.

One time while she was out in the parking lot I was making small chat and she looks over at a primer gray late 90's Mustang with a flat tire and said "I wouldn't have that trash parked at my building for an hour." I see the guy wrenching on it every day, probably just some poor bloke who can't afford a garage and doesn't want to sell his little muscle car. Jeez lady.

As for terrible car stuff, obvious car stickers:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Putting this here since I'm pretty sure Infiniti's mass-Q renaming is considered terrible - spotted this yesterday and given the lack of camo overall... I'm honestly not sure why they decided to tape over half of the badges.

Edit: The sun blew it out but there was an Infiniti text logo plain as day, no covering, on the center of the tailgate.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Putting this here since I'm pretty sure Infiniti's mass-Q renaming is considered terrible - spotted this yesterday and given the lack of camo overall... I'm honestly not sure why they decided to tape over half of the badges.

Edit: The sun blew it out but there was an Infiniti text logo plain as day, no covering, on the center of the tailgate.

I ran across this convoy a few days ago in Chandler. Pretty sure that light colored one you got a snap of is a hybrid. There was some blacked out badging on the front fender the other two didn't have.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 9, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JaysonAych posted:

When I last went apartment hunting, a large part of my decision-making involved how many of those types of abominations weren't in the parking lot. It turned out to be a good idea.

There was none of this poo poo when we moved in! They were all in hiding I guess.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It looks frumpy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I ran across this convoy a few days ago in Chandler. Pretty sure that light colored one you got a snap of is a hybrid. There was some blacked out badging on the front fender the other two didn't have.

Good call. Oddly this seemed to be driving by itself, no other manufacturer tags in sight.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good call. Oddly this seemed to be driving by itself, no other manufacturer tags in sight.

Yeah, there were 3 driving on Chandler Blvd in front of the mall when I spotted them. That stretch of road seems pretty popular with the manufacturer test beds. I spot these little convoys on it every few months or so and it's usually a group of 3.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

(NO SATELLITE DISHES, NO NO NO NO)

FYI, that's illegal. The FCC will stomp your rear end if you try to enforce that, regardless of who you are/own. DSS dishes for anyone (including renters) is black letter law that has been tested many times.

Which just adds to the point you were making.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Motronic posted:

FYI, that's illegal. The FCC will stomp your rear end if you try to enforce that, regardless of who you are/own. DSS dishes for anyone (including renters) is black letter law that has been tested many times.

Which just adds to the point you were making.

... really? Huh! I've had a few apartments where they said you couldn't have them visible - like they wanted you to mount them on the back porch or whatever. Is this legal, if, let's say, you can't get signal back there and have to have it on the top/front/some other visible place?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
No photos but last night when I was driving home there was a truck following me for ages. It was pitch black and raining so all I could see were the headlights and the running lights. For the longest time I was thinking that there was just something obnoxious about this truck I couldn't place. Later on they decided to blast past me like an idiot and I found out what was going on. It wasn't a semi trailer or B double. It was a huge Ford F series. I've seen it before parked like a douche in town obstructing the supermarket car park. Giant hulking thing, chromed, duallies, who knows what else. Barely fits on the drat road. Loosely secured load with the lovely shreds of plastic flapping in the wind.

I've never met the owner of this vehicle but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them. It takes a special breed of Aussie to buy something like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

N is for Nipples posted:

I'm so sorry I didn't snag a picture, but today I saw a beat-up single-cab Silverado, with every tacky chrome bit you could imagine. Gigantic wheels, fender vents, even chrome rain guards. The best part by far, however, was the Cadillac badge and ESCALADE EXT on the tailgate.

Only made better by the fact I was actually in an Escalade EXT at the time.
Aside from being good engine donors, Escalade EXTs are a pretty terrible car thing, honestly.

Slim Pickens posted:

Watching idiots trash their vehicles is pretty great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMNZrdh6f4

All these morons need to learn from the pros :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkca0oqiRlg

JaysonAych posted:

When I went homebuying my requirements were:
satellite dish quotient below 2 (no more than 2 dishes attached to each building, functional or otherwise) - I saw as many as 9 dishes on one house at one point.
price under 50k
the worst house in a decent neighborhood: required.

I think I did pretty OK.

Looks like at least one person here has course notes. Seriously, what was with the rest? I mean, I thought the whole point was a challenging dirt road course and driving as fast as you can without falling off. If you fall off, you hosed up. Could have used some more safety barriers there, but they also shouldn't have been going that fast with an outside cambered corner coming up. If the point was to design it so it's hard to fall off, why don't we just make it an oval paved track and never turn right?

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 10, 2013

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I've never met the owner of this vehicle but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them. It takes a special breed of Aussie to buy something like that.

Was it bright red as well? There's a red F250 with dualies that I see around Bathurst occasionally, that thing is bigger than the H2 hummer (chrome everything, I need to get a photo of that one) one of the prison wardens owns.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

kastein posted:

Looks like at least one person here has course notes. Seriously, what was with the rest? I mean, I thought the whole point was a challenging dirt road course and driving as fast as you can without falling off. If you fall off, you hosed up. Could have used some more safety barriers there, but they also shouldn't have been going that fast with an outside cambered corner coming up. If the point was to design it so it's hard to fall off, why don't we just make it an oval paved track and never turn right?

It almost looks like everyone had bad course notes, and the last few people might have had a heads up from the starting light about the turn in time to correct it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

There was none of this poo poo when we moved in! They were all in hiding I guess.

I've found that its good to shop apartments and go 3 different times - during the day, during the evening, and again on the weekend. Some apartment dwellers have weird work schedules and looking at different times will give you a broad perspective on the outlook.
Which brings me to terrible car stuff - my wife's apartment complex she lived at while we were dating/engaged had poo poo parking! It was such a mass gathering of single people with 3 roommates and everyone with a car that by 6:30 at night the entire complex would be filled and you would have to street park sometimes 1/2 mile away! So glad to be done with that nonsense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I've found that its good to shop apartments and go 3 different times - during the day, during the evening, and again on the weekend. Some apartment dwellers have weird work schedules and looking at different times will give you a broad perspective on the outlook.
Which brings me to terrible car stuff - my wife's apartment complex she lived at while we were dating/engaged had poo poo parking! It was such a mass gathering of single people with 3 roommates and everyone with a car that by 6:30 at night the entire complex would be filled and you would have to street park sometimes 1/2 mile away! So glad to be done with that nonsense.

I'm very happy that I have a garage out here. Even if it does bring the weirdos my way.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

How is that ABS wire still intact?! :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It was such a mass gathering of single people with 3 roommates and everyone with a car that by 6:30 at night the entire complex would be filled and you would have to street park sometimes 1/2 mile away! So glad to be done with that nonsense.

I lived in a place kinda like that, but I was working 3rd shift, so everyone would be gone when I got home and I had plenty of choice.

The worst was the one time someone decided to leave their running car stopped right behind my car as I was leaving for work. Ended up knocking on doors at midnight to find the person so they could move it. There was an open spot two spots over from me!

This was also the same apartment complex where someone parked a car with four flat tires in the premium spot at the end, filled it to the brim with crap, and left it there for months...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

... really? Huh! I've had a few apartments where they said you couldn't have them visible - like they wanted you to mount them on the back porch or whatever. Is this legal, if, let's say, you can't get signal back there and have to have it on the top/front/some other visible place?

I think apartments can ban you from permanently mounting it to the building, but they can't prevent you from putting it in view in a yard, patio, or balcony. Both Dish and DIRECTV offer tripod mounts designed specifically to sit on the balcony or porch of an apartment.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

ART posted:

The restoration / alteration consisted of everything. Paint, motor, trans, interior, wheels, rims, exhaust, on, and on, and on…

Huh.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Well he replaced the wheels, he couldn't keep the original wheel rims.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Nope. If the ares is in your control you can tell them to gently caress off.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes

The only thing they can do is to tell you you can't drill into anything to install it. In which case you use a tripod mount, which is even larger and uglier so it's pretty stupid for them to do that.

The last place I rented Gave me poo poo for mounting a dish on a porch. THey said I had to take it down or be fined. I sent them the FCC rules and a letter telling them they had two options: STFU or pay to move and cable it to where they would prefer. They took the later option after 3 or 4 months and paid to have it mounted on a common roof.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
went to the big annual car show in the rich old white people suburb of my city last night. Lots of great cars (60s muscle cars and 50s pickup trucks) but there were some questionables...

too_many_witnesses.jpg

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

neckbeard posted:

went to the big annual car show in the rich old white people suburb of my city last night. Lots of great cars (60s muscle cars and 50s pickup trucks) but there were some questionables...

too_many_witnesses.jpg

I've never seen a car with flames on it that didn't belong in this thread.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just wish they were real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pham Nuwen posted: