Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It's the same with reviewers. Apparently everyone who makes money off of video games except pro-gamers are absolutely terrible at them.

Watching TotalBiscuit play anything is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

It's the same with reviewers. Apparently everyone who makes money off of video games except pro-gamers are absolutely terrible at them.

A game reviewer can only spend a handful of hours playing a game before they review because deadlines. There isn't really any way around that,

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Game reviews are pretty bullshit anyway, because a review is unavoidably going to bring in their own personal thoughts, feelings, hangups, etc. Your experience playing a game is never going to match up 1:1 with a reviewer's, combine that with the fact that in most cases a reviewer will not scratch the surface of what's available due to time constraints, and I find game reviews to be even more wonky and subjective than reviews of, say, films and books.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Alchenar posted:

A game reviewer can only spend a handful of hours playing a game before they review because deadlines. There isn't really any way around that,

You'd think playing A LOT of games all the time would give you some sort of general competence though.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
At least for artists and programmers we are terrible at our own games because 1: we don't get a chance to play them and 2: if we get the chance we often would rather not!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

concerned mom posted:

At least for artists and programmers we are terrible at our own games because 1: we don't get a chance to play them and 2: if we get the chance we often would rather not!

It's gotta be weird when living the dream becomes a pain in the rear end.

vvv: Maybe you need a change of career. Have you considered becoming a Bolivian drug lord?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 9, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It's gotta be weird when living the dream becomes a pain in the rear end.

Speaking as someone who's actually made small games, you have no idea. Its fun to play your game a few times after its made a couple of times but you get so, so loving bored of it quickly because you've spent so long playing it.

E: Small as in crappy unreal 3 engine levels and java 2d platform games.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 9, 2013

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

There is also the fact to consider that the people playing games at press events are under instructions to turn it down a notch and suck a little to make the game seem more accessible to a broader audience.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vlex posted:

There is also the fact to consider that the people playing games at press events are under instructions to turn it down a notch and suck a little to make the game seem more accessible to a broader audience.

I'm not sure seeing a developer get murdered by the AI will make the game seem any more accessible tbh.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Walamor posted:

For everyone complaining about how short fights are, did you not notice how long the Macedonian infantry were engaged with the Roman infantry? They weren't super vet either, I saw one of them get promoted to rank 3 at the end of the fight right before they routed. Also, they didn't rout until they were significantly flanked.

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but it seemed like they were stuck in for a long, long time.

I think that was the elite unit he talked about. Plus they were in spear wall formation against a frontal assault.

The skirmishers and even the cavalry routed fairly quickly.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

I think that was the elite unit he talked about. Plus they were in spear wall formation against a frontal assault.

The skirmishers and even the cavalry routed fairly quickly.

The cavalry held on for quite some time even though they were fighting both other cavalry and spearmen, also only one of those infantry units was an elite unit and all of them held out for quite some time.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Walamor posted:

For everyone complaining about how short fights are, did you not notice how long the Macedonian infantry were engaged with the Roman infantry? They weren't super vet either, I saw one of them get promoted to rank 3 at the end of the fight right before they routed. Also, they didn't rout until they were significantly flanked.

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but it seemed like they were stuck in for a long, long time.

You've got a point. For my part I was bitching about S2 more than not-yet-played Rome 2.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just finished my Saga Imperial Vanguard campaign on FOTS Normal/Normal. It was sort of painless once I reached critical mass at RD, and it made me understand why that mechanic exists. I ended up autoresolving my juggernaut army of elite troops and artillery through all the Shogun supporters on the way to Musashi with 7 years to spare :effort: All the imperial supporters were a great big hugbox and I was pulling in over 20k koku each turn by the end. I had high level geishas parked in my top provinces, and had 5 or 6 provinces at 8,000+ wealth.
I think next time I'll go pro-Shogun and choose the RD option that makes everyone hate me. That will at least make it more interesting at the end knowing there's a possibility that I could lose.

I think I've still got plenty of mileage to get out of Shogun 2 and Napoleon before I look at Rome 2. Maybe I'll wait for a sale.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

canyoneer posted:

Just finished my Saga Imperial Vanguard campaign on FOTS Normal/Normal. It was sort of painless once I reached critical mass at RD, and it made me understand why that mechanic exists. I ended up autoresolving my juggernaut army of elite troops and artillery through all the Shogun supporters on the way to Musashi with 7 years to spare :effort: All the imperial supporters were a great big hugbox and I was pulling in over 20k koku each turn by the end. I had high level geishas parked in my top provinces, and had 5 or 6 provinces at 8,000+ wealth.
I think next time I'll go pro-Shogun and choose the RD option that makes everyone hate me. That will at least make it more interesting at the end knowing there's a possibility that I could lose.

I think I've still got plenty of mileage to get out of Shogun 2 and Napoleon before I look at Rome 2. Maybe I'll wait for a sale.

I think the problem with the mechanic is that it completely sucker punches you when you first get hit by it and that there is absolutely no reason my one province vassal that's married to my family, been allied for years, trading for just as long who fought and bled alongside me would suddenly turn around and go "you know what, the shogun, who is about to be destroyed by your doomstack, said you're a dick, so i'm going to declare war on you even though I have no units and no way of hurting you. This is basically suicide. Oh well, Shogun said so!".

I'd be fine with ramping up the difficulty. I'm not fine with "gently caress you, you against the world".

E: Does napoleon have any performance issues? When I load it up it seems jumpy. I don't have that problem with Shogun.

E2: Jumpy as in the units don't walk smoothly, they seem to sort of, jump from step to step. Not a lot but its noticeable.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dogstile posted:

I think the problem with the mechanic is that it completely sucker punches you when you first get hit by it and that there is absolutely no reason my one province vassal that's married to my family, been allied for years, trading for just as long who fought and bled alongside me would suddenly turn around and go "you know what, the shogun, who is about to be destroyed by your doomstack, said you're a dick, so i'm going to declare war on you even though I have no units and no way of hurting you. This is basically suicide. Oh well, Shogun said so!".

I'd be fine with ramping up the difficulty. I'm not fine with "gently caress you, you against the world".

E: Does napoleon have any performance issues? When I load it up it seems jumpy. I don't have that problem with Shogun.

E2: Jumpy as in the units don't walk smoothly, they seem to sort of, jump from step to step. Not a lot but its noticeable.

For me Napoleon has no performance issues beyond the occasional crash. ("Besides all that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?")
Is the jumpiness you describe from a far zoomed out perspective? Because I always assumed that was intentional in the engine to skip frames of animation to improve performance. I could be totally wrong though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dogstile posted:

So, on one hand a designer might say that's intended to prevent you from using vassals to make tons of trade bucks, on the other hand, CA didn't particularly think out how it's done all that well. Still, it has an important purpose, though usually by the time you hit Realm Divide you can roll over even all the other AIs combined.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I thought FOTS did Realm Divide very well, with both sides of the conflict deciding that this is it and rallying behind the largest factions. Of course, that is a fair bit harder if there are no two well defined sides.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ArchangeI posted:

I thought FOTS did Realm Divide very well, with both sides of the conflict deciding that this is it and rallying behind the largest factions. Of course, that is a fair bit harder if there are no two well defined sides.

FOTS seemed to do it very well. I liked how you could go for the "gently caress everyone option" if you wanted to, or stick to not fighting for personal glory and have some people backing you up.

Panzeh posted:

So, on one hand a designer might say that's intended to prevent you from using vassals to make tons of trade bucks, on the other hand, CA didn't particularly think out how it's done all that well. Still, it has an important purpose, though usually by the time you hit Realm Divide you can roll over even all the other AIs combined.

In a sense. You're still going up against full stacks so you have to manually fight every battle against them. It gets a little tiresome. It seemed poorly planned. At least now with Rome saying they'll scale up the quality of the units you fight you won't be rolling over everyone even late game.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Don't forget that you will also have a limited number of armies this time, with 20 units maximum.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The line of sight system looks :krad:
Concealing units without stupid forests.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's kind of refreshing to me that the devs are so bad at the game themselves, because it makes me feel less bad about being such a tactical/strategic dunderhead that usually relies on a basic,"Hit them hard in the middle and then try to flank their sides" way of handling things.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

It just makes it a slog to be honest. Even more so if you actually use the diplomacy system in the game and trade with people.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fox Cunning posted:

Don't forget that you will also have a limited number of armies this time, with 20 units maximum.

That's a good point. I wonder how hard that'll be to manage once you get bigger empires. Taking over the entire map with limited armies sounds like it'd be a challenge.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Has there been any discussion of what the army limit is?

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

I thought there are not any hard limit just that if you actually want a army, first you must have a general with their own faction and ties in your nation which may or not be changeable by the player.

May be interesting to see half your generals and their armies betray you when civil war emerge

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

I believe the only thing they've said is that is doesn't scale 1/1 with new territory gained, and that you will have to make hard decisions in order to defend and attack at the same time, eg diplomacy to make sure your western flank is covered, ect.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Maybe it scales with difficulty somehow, I think that would be a good idea at least.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

madmac posted:

eg diplomacy to make sure your western flank is covered, ect.

Oh god no.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
With the new, more transparent modifier system maybe diplomacy will work for once? Here's hoping they fixed the "YOU BROKE YOUR TREATIES WITH US" bug. You know, where they would blame you for getting their own ports blockaded...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

If you look at the huge campaign screenshot it is clear that Macedon has a shitload of armies. So god knows how the limit is fixed.

Oh la la, looks like the posted a new one without telling anyone. Or at least I haven't seen it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
The second set of Q&A answers got posted here.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Frijolero posted:

If you look at the huge campaign screenshot it is clear that Macedon has a shitload of armies. So god knows how the limit is fixed.

Oh la la, looks like the posted a new one without telling anyone. Or at least I haven't seen it.

The new one is looking down the Italian Peninsula from the Alps. That is just awesome.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 10, 2013

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Its been a long lonnng time since I was hyped for a game like this. I cant loving wait anymore!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Mazz posted:

The new one is looking down the Italian Peninsula from the Alps. That is just awesome.

Its in the Alps, I think thats lake Geneva there. You can see Britan off to the north

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Rabhadh posted:

Its in the Alps, I think thats lake Geneva there. You can see Britan off to the north

Pretty sure that is viewing south from the Alps. You can see the Iberian peninsula on the right side

Edit: Oh wait you're right, the panorama wraps pretty far around and if you go way left you can see what appears to be Britain

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just noticed a nice little addition, it looks like crows and ravens hover above armies that are going through attrition.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

DrHub posted:

Its been a long lonnng time since I was hyped for a game like this

For me it's since the original RTW, I think :shobon:

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012

peer posted:

For me it's since the original RTW, I think :shobon:

yeah me too, I remember watching some sort of reality tv show where simple folk played an early (alpha maybe) version of RTW and all that commented by a english historian. Its all fuzzy, someone have an idea of what im talking about?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DrHub posted:

yeah me too, I remember watching some sort of reality tv show where simple folk played an early (alpha maybe) version of RTW and all that commented by a english historian. Its all fuzzy, someone have an idea of what im talking about?

Time Commanders? If its the thing I am thinking of it was always great to watch the military dudes fail miserably at a battle that the vicars had won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DrHub posted:

Sounds like Time Commanders to me. I loved that show as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl9I7POTrs