Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think you're talking about Time Commanders, with the totally insane Dr. Aryeh Nusbacher.

edit: beaten. It was a pretty bad show and I think they also made an even worse one with that one guy from Band of Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah! thats it, that show was awesome. They should have done something similar with rome 2.

well it was bad because people sucked at it , its was fun learning about antiquity while thousand pixel men eviscerated each other on the battlefield.

DrHub fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2013

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DrHub posted:

Yeah! thats it, that show was awesome. They should have done something similar with rome 2.

Gods I would kill to see something like this again, you could just give Sega a small amount of money (less than you pay graham norton for a year) and instantly capture the entire geek market.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

peer posted:

I think you're talking about Time Commanders, with the totally insane Dr. Aryeh Nusbacher.

edit: beaten. It was a pretty bad show and I think they also made an even worse one with that one guy from Band of Brothers

Get the hell out and never return. Time Commanders was hilarious. Testudo formation guy shall live forever in our hearts.

Fun fact, the really over the top historian is now a woman.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Get the hell out and never return. Time Commanders was hilarious. Testudo formation guy shall live forever in our hearts.

I just checked "him" out and oh man, you werent lying. That's hilarious.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SeanBeansShako posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XqFSu6xW4

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If they brought it back, part of me wants them to invite her over and see if she is completely different person or is she still kicking tables over in over the top excitement over HISTORY.

It'll never happen sadly, the BBC would have to pay money for a thing like Time Commanders to happen. And the BBC is broke now.

Miserableman
May 6, 2003

wats the plan, mang
I was the fat guy on the far side at the front, in control of one of the armies. During the battle of Teutoburg Forest it was my troops which were flipping out at the back of the army and walking absolutely everywhere except where I was telling them. It was an absolute 'mare keeping them together, all-the-while being screamed at by vicars and with a variety of TV cameras being poked in my face. One of the most surreal and stressful twenty minutes of my life right there.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
There was also a show on history channel called Decisive Battles that ran for a few episodes that used the rome engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Z-dxWT5SM

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Miserableman posted:

I was the fat guy on the far side at the front, in control of one of the armies. During the battle of Teutoburg Forest it was my troops which were flipping out at the back of the army and walking absolutely everywhere except where I was telling them. It was an absolute 'mare keeping them together, all-the-while being screamed at by vicars and with a variety of TV cameras being poked in my face. One of the most surreal and stressful twenty minutes of my life right there.

Was the interface basically just the normal Rome TW UI or did they modify it for the show?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Feel free to share any other behind the scenes stuff about that odd little program.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

could you explain this a bit, because im confused

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ughhhh posted:

could you explain this a bit, because im confused

I think he means there was a sex change dude.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Time commanders was awesome, I wonder how the hell BBC got the idea to do it though.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Jerusalem posted:

It's kind of refreshing to me that the devs are so bad at the game themselves, because it makes me feel less bad about being such a tactical/strategic dunderhead that usually relies on a basic,"Hit them hard in the middle and then try to flank their sides" way of handling things.

I have always relied on "send in my light infantry, hit them in the sides or the rear with my cav/general/heavy infantry while peppering them with arrows" strategy. It may not be the most pretty, but I have a pretty good battle record on normal difficulty. This is where I would complain about sieging, but I think everyone in the thread already agrees that it's an absolute slog.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

You have to careful with light infantry in the center as if they are too overmatched, they will rout before the heavy flankers overpower the enemy. Often I do some kind of heavy defensive infantry in the center, lighter on their flanks, with heavy damage guys on the wing of the line. The heavy infantry in the center stand firm and keeps the light guys from routing, and then the heavy infantry on the flanks can hit their edge and hopefully start winning before cavalry even has to charge.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My lights are usually in the line, but in front of a line of heavy infantry. They're there to absorb the charge, nothing more.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You have to careful with light infantry in the center as if they are too overmatched, they will rout before the heavy flankers overpower the enemy. Often I do some kind of heavy defensive infantry in the center, lighter on their flanks, with heavy damage guys on the wing of the line. The heavy infantry in the center stand firm and keeps the light guys from routing, and then the heavy infantry on the flanks can hit their edge and hopefully start winning before cavalry even has to charge.

At that point you might as well just cut light infantry out of your army altogether.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

At that point you might as well just cut light infantry out of your army altogether.

I normally do, but you can't always do that early on. Heavy infantry and cavalry is my preferred setup.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Ah, but light infantry is generally cheaper than heavy infantry and easier to build.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I quite like to use my light infantry to harass the sides and rears of the enemy when both sides sides are engaged or the enemy is moving forward, and of course stick them in cover/forests and set cunning traps too.

It depends on the Total War game for deeper tactics than that.

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
I'm getting a little bored with Shogun 2. It's the only total war game I've ever played but I hope Rome 2 proves to be a lot more diverse and interesting. As it is now all I end up doing in ROTS or Vanilla is expand aggressively in the early game to about 10ish provinces, build trade partners and bribe my way to alliance while boosting infrastructure and chi arts, then win the game with doom stacks and 6star ninjas. It gets really boring really fast. Even the battles in shogun 2 are trivial in the sense that they don't take much thought. I feel like a little micro, a minimally decent economic backbone, and some patience really undermine all the thought and detail put into Shogun 2.

Which is why I'm really glad to be seeing multiple ways to win, so many unit types, varied terrain, smaller and scaling armies, and more political and economic choices. I think the complexity will really help that slogging feeling I get from S2.

Miserableman
May 6, 2003

wats the plan, mang

Thom12255 posted:

Was the interface basically just the normal Rome TW UI or did they modify it for the show?
It was just the vanilla game, but with custom maps and in places custom units (for some battles like Stamford Bridge). The setup was basically an 8-player multiplayer battle - two for the guys at the front, two for the "AI" (a couple of guys out the back, the MD and lead designer at the time), one for the map table, one for the big projector screen at the front, one for the historians and another that I think was just recording the replay or something. It was filmed right around the time of Rome's launch and the multiplayer was pretty flakey, so to minimise the chances of a desync all the machines were as good as money could buy at the time, and the settings were turned down to minimum to stress them as little as possible. So I was playing the game on a massive Apple monitor (with a little sticker diligently placed over the logo!) in some horrific blocky res.

We didn't get any desyncs whilst filming, which was good as I have no idea what the contingency plan would've been. The contestants were given no briefing as to the scenario beforehand and the action bits were all filmed in one take. I guess we'd have just had to restart, but it was very much intended to be an honest contest.

Asides from Teutoburg Forest, the worst one for me was the last one we filmed, Cynoscephalae. The other controller and myself were sent a couple of good looking young ladies out of the team to give us orders. The setup was us controlling the Romans assaulting the Macedonians at the top of the Cynoscephalae ridge. One half of the Macedonian army was already entrenched at the top, but the other half was supposed to dither around on its march up, giving the Romans assaulting that side of the ridge the opportunity to crest the ridge first and then attack them downhill. The Romans were supposed to win that fight, then swing around to assist on the other side.

The team actually did something quite inspired, unsuspected, and in hindsight completely obvious, which was to gang up on the one army at the top of the ridge while the other dallied on the way up. I swung my Roman army around so that it was assaulting along the crest of the ridge, into the side of the defending Macedons. On making this maneuver I noticed that the few elephants that I controlled were now staring straight down the flank of the entire enemy phalanx in a long line. I asked the girl who was assigned to me (who was wearing quite a low-cut top, so I absolutely couldn't look at her in case I was clocked ogling her chest) whether I should charge the elephants in.

"Is that a good idea?"

"Yes."

In went the elephants, scattering phalangites everywhere. The damage done to the enemy line was enough to win the battle. I was pleased, particularly as I knew the guy controlling that army was the owner of CA and an extremely competitive chap. After filming was finished, however, the historians bounded over and excitedly inquired about the elephant charge. Grinning, Aryeh then produced a bit of paper taken from the interviews done with the contestants made prior to filming. Apparently one of the team's stated tactics for winning was "flirt with the controllers so that they would win the battle for us". I felt like I had been done, on television no less.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One of the problems with light infantry in total war games is that they don't penalize heavy infantry for fighting in non-open terrain so there's really nothing making you take them except as really cheap infantry.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Miserableman posted:

Time Commanders story

This is the most realistic battle ever fought in a Total War game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Incredible, thanks for sharing man.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Panzeh posted:

One of the problems with light infantry in total war games is that they don't penalize heavy infantry for fighting in non-open terrain so there's really nothing making you take them except as really cheap infantry.

I thought they are cheap expendable and easily refillable troops that you can toss at enemy troops to slow/ exhaust them so you can flank and crush them with your core valuable troops.

Who cares if they lose several troops as you maneuver those "levies" to the left or back so your actual troops can crush the enemies easily :v:

I always need cheapass refillable troops for sacrificial pawn tactics :unsmigghh:, always :getin:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
In practice, light infantry in Total War Games is pretty much just cheap cannon fodder, but there's certainly room for elite light infantry as well. You could argue that units like Ninjas and Battlefield Assassins already fill that niche. Not to mention those badass javelin dudes Spain had in MTW2 that had insane stats and endurance. Man I loved those guys.

I think there's a very blurry line between elite light infantry and elite skirmishers, basically. You could codify small advantages for light units but there's not much point in buffing levy units just because. Better to design certain units that are good at leveraging the advantages of skilled light infantry instead. I expect the Suebi will have some tricks to make them competitive.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Light infantry was kinda halfway useful in Empire. High accuracy troops that were good for a long range volley and then hide by the flanks and in forests.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Light infantry could probably fill a more tactical role if we ever get a WWI/modern twist on Total War, though it would probably require a very different battle play style than what we're used to. Being able to properly utilize recon, mountain troops, rangers, ski infantry and the like would be amazing! A proper bit of recon and harassment of artiller positions could be followed up with a blood bath as you send your flamethrower wielding stormtroopers, manskirt wearing black watch, or streams of conscripted peasants howling toward the enemy.

It might not be a total war game, and it might not be from CA, but a Great War strategy game along the lines of Total War could be amazing if properly utilized.

For sword & board era games though, light infantry are always going to be the poor loincloth clad assholes that get sent straight to the front to be hacked to pieces by a dude on a horse.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Light infantry in the M2 days ranged from peasants to lightly armoured swordsmen. I think they were mostly defined by being fast and not as easily fatigued. They'd have stuff in their description like "Bonus to combat in woods" and stuff like that, and I never figured out if they actually did or not.

With regard to hidden stats and such, light infantry usually had less "weight" to them. So a cavalry charge would bowl most of them over in the initial rush far more than if they hit a bunch of foot knights instead. I think "weight" still exists in Shogun 2, since there was a kerfuffle over some modder specifically making all the female units lighter for whatever spergy reason they had.

If somebody could actually outline a Total War-like game set in WWI/WWII/Afghanistan in a little detail, I would appreciate it. If people are actually putting thought into it maybe it will stop sounding like a half-baked modding idea cooked up by TWC to me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Panzeh posted:

They can be useful as a hammer unit when properly supported by Heavy Infantry. A volley of javelins from a skirmisher unit to the rear of your infantry is no joke, and having a unit that's slightly faster than the enemy unit even if it is overpowered by it has a lot of tactical uses.

If we're including mods, you have situations like in Rome Total Realism Platinum, where the Germans had javelin-weilding light infantry who fought in melee with quite good spears, who could quickly respond to cavalry charges and then when the enemy flanking force routed could then deal horrendous damage to engaged portions of the enemy line.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If somebody could actually outline a Total War-like game set in WWI/WWII/Afghanistan in a little detail, I would appreciate it. If people are actually putting thought into it maybe it will stop sounding like a half-baked modding idea cooked up by TWC to me.

First off, we should probably wait for Rome 2 to release and play that before we start sperging out about a potential Empire 2. Talking about the potential of Total Warhammer and other time lines right at this moment kinda feels like asking for Christmas presents in July. To make a really big WWI game to properly draw in the crowds CA would probably have to put in ludicrous amounts of effort too. Things like a campaign map beyond the scale of the (supposedly BIGHUGE) teritory we'll get for Rome 2, a completely overhauled way of handling battles and tactical controls, some kind of politics system... it would be nuts.

A properly mid to late 19th century game, or early to mid 20th century game could be absolutely amazing if properly handled. Or it could break the company through cost over-runs and Lusty Jack would be reduced to running around with a barrel around his waist and eating cans of beans in the train yard.

What I would like to see is a more in-depth political system beyond Absolute Monarchy <-> Constitutional Monarchy <-> Republic. With the intellectual output and research of all nations, types of government might unlock themselves as time progresses, giving you an opportunity to run your nation/empire/fetid hellpit more to your liking. Want to create a Irish Marxist worker's paradise? Go ahead. Send in the strike breakers and bust some heads because you need to keep up your national GDP to supply your troops? Whatever it takes. United States of Russia dispensing ARE FREEDOMS at bayonet point to the Qing Empire? COME GET SOME. Get your territories taken away because the Glorious And Immortal Pan-Serbian Empire thought they'd do much better under the balkan co-propsperity sphere? Switch your nation to a war footing and set off riots in all your cities. The urban poor were only getting fat anyways.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

madmac posted:

In practice, light infantry in Total War Games is pretty much just cheap cannon fodder, but there's certainly room for elite light infantry as well. You could argue that units like Ninjas and Battlefield Assassins already fill that niche. Not to mention those badass javelin dudes Spain had in MTW2 that had insane stats and endurance. Man I loved those guys.

I think there's a very blurry line between elite light infantry and elite skirmishers, basically. You could codify small advantages for light units but there's not much point in buffing levy units just because. Better to design certain units that are good at leveraging the advantages of skilled light infantry instead. I expect the Suebi will have some tricks to make them competitive.

Where would you place no-dachi samurai?

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

Where would you place no-dachi samurai?

To me no-dachi samurai are somewhat like cavalry, in that they've got a really good shock value on initial impact, but then fizzle out once the melee proper begins. For their high charge bonus, I'd probably put them in with heavy infantry?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Sounds like an ideal hammer force to me.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Space Wizard posted:

To me no-dachi samurai are somewhat like cavalry, in that they've got a really good shock value on initial impact, but then fizzle out once the melee proper begins. For their high charge bonus, I'd probably put them in with heavy infantry?

They're also lightly armored and significantly faster than most infantry though. I don't think you can call them heavy infantry given their speed and lack of armor.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

They're also lightly armored and significantly faster than most infantry though. I don't think you can call them heavy infantry given their speed and lack of armor.

Foot cavalry.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Finished up a game of Shogun 2 just to shake off the ring rust for Rome coming up and I said why not and got the Otomo dlc pack. For the first 50 or so turns that poo poo is rough as hell because everyone hates your guts because you start off Christian. By the end of it though, it was the most satisfying time I have had in Shogun 2 because most of my armies consist of Portugese Tercios(with some samurai backup) and it was kinda just like playing Empire at that point with all the volley fire :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Space Wizard posted:

First off, we should probably wait for Rome 2 to release and play that before we start sperging out about a potential Empire 2. Talking about the potential of Total Warhammer and other time lines right at this moment kinda feels like asking for Christmas presents in July. To make a really big WWI game to properly draw in the crowds CA would probably have to put in ludicrous amounts of effort too. Things like a campaign map beyond the scale of the (supposedly BIGHUGE) teritory we'll get for Rome 2, a completely overhauled way of handling battles and tactical controls, some kind of politics system... it would be nuts.

A properly mid to late 19th century game, or early to mid 20th century game could be absolutely amazing if properly handled. Or it could break the company through cost over-runs and Lusty Jack would be reduced to running around with a barrel around his waist and eating cans of beans in the train yard.

What I would like to see is a more in-depth political system beyond Absolute Monarchy <-> Constitutional Monarchy <-> Republic. With the intellectual output and research of all nations, types of government might unlock themselves as time progresses, giving you an opportunity to run your nation/empire/fetid hellpit more to your liking. Want to create a Irish Marxist worker's paradise? Go ahead. Send in the strike breakers and bust some heads because you need to keep up your national GDP to supply your troops? Whatever it takes. United States of Russia dispensing ARE FREEDOMS at bayonet point to the Qing Empire? COME GET SOME. Get your territories taken away because the Glorious And Immortal Pan-Serbian Empire thought they'd do much better under the balkan co-propsperity sphere? Switch your nation to a war footing and set off riots in all your cities. The urban poor were only getting fat anyways.

After Dawn of War 1 and 2, CoH1 and CoH2 beside ETW, I think I already sick of modern era boom boom game. It's just do not interested me as the sword and arrow periods and fantasy. Probably because there are less character and tactics involved, more focus on overall strategy.
Paradox games will better fit that bill rather than CA.
Come to think about it, why don't you just play Civ 5 with all the expansions? It already fulfill all your stated wants. :raise: