Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Cole posted:

Do at least three years and get 30% disability. You get the whole GI Bill and health care forever.

Rock on.

50% and they will treat non service related injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

SumYungGui posted:

The key is benefits. Sure your by-the-numbers paycheck isn't what others might get. Others don't get an allowance for housing, it comes out of their check and healthcare (if they're lucky enough to have it in the US) costs a fuckton and sucks rear end in its own unique ways as well as coming out of that check. And food, and utilities, and...

Deployed pay is federal tax free and more than a few states have all active duty pay state/local tax free (Thanks PA!). GI Bill is also so stupendously good it's beyond words.

(it needs to be a good deal because we have a volunteer force but the job blows chunks)

Best part of the MGIB is working two jobs while going to school. Hope you didn't want health insurance, groceries, or to be able to support your kids/spouse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Optiquest posted:

Best part of the MGIB is working two jobs while going to school. Hope you didn't want health insurance, groceries, or to be able to support your kids/spouse.

Yeah good thing that Post 9/11 made all of those issues go away.

I did 9 months on MGIB before Post 9/11 came out :(

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

On that note, I'm not sure why the advice given for switching over to Post-911 is "evaluate whether the MGIB makes sense for your plan" instead of "go to a different school and switch over, idiot".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MancXVI posted:

On that note, I'm not sure why the advice given for switching over to Post-911 is "evaluate whether the MGIB makes sense for your plan" instead of "go to a different school and switch over, idiot".

Because until the last round of changes there were circumstances where it was better.

New Ed thread due in a few days is updated to reflect this.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Yeah good thing that Post 9/11 made all of those issues go away.

I did 9 months on MGIB before Post 9/11 came out :(

They did? My post 9/11 must be broken or something.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MancXVI posted:

The MGIB can actually be a better deal for like a handful of vets. Namely, Illinois resident/vets attending public schools. The state offers a 100% tuition and fees program for an undergrad so technically the MGIB actually made a vet more money than the Post 9/11.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

The MGIB can actually be a better deal for like a handful of vets. Namely, Illinois resident/vets attending public schools. The state offers a 100% tuition and fees program for an undergrad so technically the MGIB actually made a vet more money than the Post 9/11.

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Optiquest posted:

They did? My post 9/11 must be broken or something.

Are you telling me that between the BAH, the free tuition, unemployment, VA disability, work study, pell grants and need based grants you still have to work two jobs? Because I'm living in one of the highest cost of living locations in the country and support another person and I've done so without much problems when on the GI Bill. Post 9/11, that is.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Are you telling me that between the BAH, the free tuition, unemployment, VA disability, work study, pell grants and need based grants you still have to work two jobs? Because I'm living in one of the highest cost of living locations in the country and support another person and I've done so without much problems when on the GI Bill. Post 9/11, that is.

Until one of the jobs I worked at the school's veteran's services office ran out of funding I did. I know a lot of Post 9/11 guys who are having a hard time getting by. One decided he'd rather go work for the plant and make buckets of money than get paid to go to school. Post separation, your experiences may vary I guess?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

There are some places in this country that BAH is less than $700 on 100% post 9/11.

But that's not counting unemployment (some states are nazis and wont pay you though if you're in school. Some even a single credit hour), financial aid etc. Between BAH, pell grants, degree specific grants, and state aid I'm set to make $18,000 off going to school from September to December. If you do a little leg work you can live pretty well off the government tit like that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sorry to hear that guys. I guess your mileage may vary. PA is really cool about a lot of vet related things, so it has worked out amazingly for me. Maybe move out here?

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

gleep gloop posted:

There are some places in this country that BAH is less than $700 on 100% post 9/11.

But that's not counting unemployment (some states are nazis and wont pay you though if you're in school. Some even a single credit hour), financial aid etc. Between BAH, pell grants, degree specific grants, and state aid I'm set to make $18,000 off going to school from September to December. If you do a little leg work you can live pretty well off the government tit like that.

yeah i was never able to get unemployment because of school and even if i could have it maxes out at 240 a week here lol.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gleep gloop posted:

Even without my savings and what the USAF threw at me for sep money, I'd be OK living with the school grant, Bah/leftover money, and a part-time job. The summer is rough because it's all out of pocket but once school starts and the money comes in, I'll be better than before.

Granted, I still consider myself very lucky because there was no way for me to know the school was going to give me a lot of money despite knowing that I was going to get poo poo from federal grants.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How easy would it be to join the Coast Guards as a reservist?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RandomPauI posted:

How easy would it be to join the Coast Guards as a reservist?

Right now due to ADA quotas they're only taking disabled applicants. Are you missing or unable to use any limbs? Are you grotesquely overweight? Do you ride the free shopping rascal at Walmart?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got horrible depression, that should count for something.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've got a science degree and I've got debt in default to the tune of 10,000$, is that going to disqualify me from commissioning? I can't get a job that pays a living wage so I can't pay it off. It is past the statute of limitations and at this point it looks like it will fall off of my credit report before I become able to pay it off.

I read the op and it looked like the answer was maybe, anyone have a better idea?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Science degree in what, exactly? Jobs are there if you know where to look.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

EBB posted:

Science degree in what, exactly? Jobs are there if you know where to look.

Toxicology, the only jobs I've been able to find don't pay enough to afford the rent for the area they are in and the one's that do pay a living wage want a PhD/MS. For example there are jobs for research assistants that pay 15$/hr in New York City, you couldn't afford a refrigerator box's rent on that sort of pay there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Azuth0667 posted:

Toxicology, the only jobs I've been able to find don't pay enough to afford the rent for the area they are in and the one's that do pay a living wage want a PhD/MS. For example there are jobs for research assistants that pay 15$/hr in New York City, you couldn't afford a refrigerator box's rent on that sort of pay there.

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but consider moving to a much cheaper cost of living area?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Or at the very least commute from Jersey, like a lot of people do.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Sounds like you're in the northeast, and brother I can tell you that there are salaried (think $50k+) entry level jobs in that part of the country that could support your living expenses and don't require more than a BS. PM me your details if you have plat, I can check internal postings for a company in western CT. Think about your options before going down the military route, it's a pain in the rear end.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

E: ^^ Will do, and thanks I appreciate any help.

I'm signed up with several temp agencies that service New York and New Jersey but, back to my original question will defaults I literally can't do anything about disqualify me from commissioning? The other program I was looking at was this HPSP, http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html , that's a couple years away though and it requires "Qualify as a commissioned officer in the United States Army Reserve." It doesn't say anywhere that there is more slack given for future medical professionals so I think my question is relevant to both paths.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I've already gone to MEPS and signed a contract and everything. I ship in a few weeks. Theoretically, I'm going to end up a command post apprentice.

It's a little late to be asking, I know, but am I totally going to hate myself for this? I don't know why I'm suddenly worried last second, but whatever.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Haephastus posted:

It's a little late to be asking, I know, but am I totally going to hate myself for this? I don't know why I'm suddenly worried last second, but whatever.

A bit of anxiety before you head out is normal. Just relax and look at it as an adventure.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, thanks. I feel a little better about it, at least.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Plenty of people hate it, but few ever regret it when all is said and done.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I thought it was the worst mistake of my life up until about eight months from now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I thought it was the smartest thing I've ever done when I joined, the dumbest when I left, now looking back at it was an okay decision. Could have done a lot better like picking a job that wasn't for knuckledraggers but whatever.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
College really wasn't an option for me when I joined. My parents had lost their jobs a few years earlier and were barely scraping by trying to put two of my sisters through. The bonus was huge, they only asked for three years, and I got to pick my job! I picked a retarded job but now I'm literally paid to go to school. Instead of having $40,000 in debt hanging over my head, and being forced to work two minimum wage jobs to barely buy enough good to live I am PAID to get my FREE EDUCATION! I have a few regrets from my service, my MOS itself didn't help me get any jobs, I made a mistake that got me injured, and I have to live with some not so nice memories. But even knowing all that if I had to I'd do it again. Besides being born rich or getting an amazing scholarship I can't think of a better way to give yourself a boost over everyone else than going to college on the post 9/11 GI Bill.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Haephastus posted:

So I've already gone to MEPS and signed a contract and everything. I ship in a few weeks. Theoretically, I'm going to end up a command post apprentice.

It's not too late until you go to MEPS the second time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There's too many variables that go into a Military career. Your job, co-workers, and most important where you're stationed.

I know dudes who have gone from San Diego to Italy and vice versa. A guy I went to a-school with managed to extend through all 4 years in Rota Spain.

But then there's the flip side like being stationed in some of the shittiest BFE parts of the US. Everyone says it's what you make of it which can be true to an extent. But some places are just terrible hellholes with no escape. My last command was poo poo but if you drove 2 hours in any direction you'd be in an awesome place. Army and AF seem to have some of the worst mid-west/South bases

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 11, 2013

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
What's the process of commissioning out of the ANG? I just left active duty to go into the guard, and within the first two days there, multiple people, including my squadron and group CC have popped a chub after hearing that I'm finishing up my civil eng degree in the next year or two. They've all mentioned that there are open slots in the CE squadron, and that I should seriously consider it.

If I were to do it, would they just send me to OTS, or is there an easy, Guard-only way that doesn't involve me going away for a few months to Alabama? I'd be interested, but if it involves all that extra stuff just to have a slightly bigger drill pay check, I think I'd pass.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So my recruiter said transferring my asvab scores from school servers to navy ones would take 3-5 days. It has been nearly 3 weeks. He has been calling and apologizing once a week since I keep in contact, but hell. How much longer will this silly stuff take.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

KittyEmpress posted:

So my recruiter said transferring my asvab scores from school servers to navy ones would take 3-5 days. It has been nearly 3 weeks. He has been calling and apologizing once a week since I keep in contact, but hell. How much longer will this silly stuff take.

Haha. Welcome to the military!!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

KittyEmpress posted:

Learn to enjoy this sensation, or you're going to hate your life.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

pkells posted:

What's the process of commissioning out of the ANG? I just left active duty to go into the guard, and within the first two days there, multiple people, including my squadron and group CC have popped a chub after hearing that I'm finishing up my civil eng degree in the next year or two. They've all mentioned that there are open slots in the CE squadron, and that I should seriously consider it.

If I were to do it, would they just send me to OTS, or is there an easy, Guard-only way that doesn't involve me going away for a few months to Alabama? I'd be interested, but if it involves all that extra stuff just to have a slightly bigger drill pay check, I think I'd pass.

ANG goes to Academy of Military Science to commission, which is only 6 weeks at Maxwell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Learn to enjoy this sensation, or you're going to hate your life.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Haha. Welcome to the military!!

It seems to me that people looking to join, or who just pass through GiP probably don't believe most of the stuff in here, or at least think it's mostly exaggeration. After all, no organization could be so cripplingly inefficient and self-destructive, especially with such an important role, right?

WRONG.

Every time you need something done that relies upon another military unit (and often someone within your own) you can expect it to be a pathetic display of work ethic. When I mock the Finance office for only being open from 10-2, I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP. That is (or at least was, I left last year) literally the office hours of an office that services Tinker AFB and it's 80,000+ personnel. When I mention that I was literally bleeding while recovering from surgery but I had to personally hand physical paperwork to the MPF to use convalescent leave AND THEY TURNED ME AWAY I'm not making that up (fortunately our squadron secretary took care of it for me so I could go home). The six months it took for them to fix the error made when I JOINED the Air Force is also not made up (this error almost cost me over $20k, if I hadn't noticed it while outprocessing the military)...nor the fact that they lost all kinds of personal identification not only for me but for my son.

For some reason, despite those experiences being so normal that when something actually works the way it should it becomes a big discussion topic, you won't see anything like it on the AF website. Can't imagine why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

All of those videos are either bullshit or represent 0.00001% of the AF population

• Locked thread